Chapter 8 – Who am I to You?

Warm Hands, Cold Heart.

“Hey Eunyoung, call me back when you get this message, will you? You should know who this is, silly girl. We need to catch up soon, so call your bestie Yekyung back would you? And stop napping, it’s bad for your health. Call me back.” Eunyoung listened to the new message again for the third time, debating whether or not to call her back. It’d been a day since she got the message, so she didn’t know if Yekyung was busy, considering it was a Friday. She didn’t know what to say to Yekyung, not since all this happened between her and Jonghyun. Eunyoung knew that Yekyung would definitely be upset, pissed, even, if she found out. Swallowing her worry, she dialed the number.

“Eunyoungie girl, you finally decide to call me back. I have something to talk to you about. Meet me at the coffee shop down the street from your house in ten minutes?”

“Yeah, I’ll see you in ten minutes.”

“I warn you, you might not like what I have to say.” Eunyoung heard a click as Yekyung hung up on her. Sighing, she wondered what it could be about this time. In the past few years they knew each other, they did get into a few arguments, but none of them were very major. Eunyoung noticed a hint of anger in Yekyung’s voice, however, when she answered. Shrugging, she went into her closet to pick out a pair of dark washed skinny jeans and a dark grey ribbed tank, remembering the last time they had an argument. What was it about again? Oh, she remembered. It was about how she refused to let Yekyung copy off her notes anymore. Yekyung had been dependent on Eunyoung’s diligent note-taking for at least 2 years in their high school career before Eunyoung cut her off. And Yekyung was pissed. Although the argument only lasted about a week, Yekyung liked to bring it up every time Eunyoung ruined the curve. Rolling her eyes as she remembered, she grabbed her bag and keys, walked into the kitchen to scribble a note for her sister, and walked out the door towards the elevators where she bumped into her sister.

“Unnie, where are you going? I just got back from class, and you’re already leaving?”

“Hyunae, I’m sorry, but I gotta go. Yekyung called, and she sounded a little pissed, so I have to go talk to her. Eat lunch without me, okay? There’s some leftovers in the fridge. I promise I’ll be back before my date with Onew oppa tonight, okay? We’ll talk then. I promise.” Eunyoung gave her sister a quick hug before jumping in the elevator. She felt bad for insisting to her parents to let Hyunae stay with her, and then not spend enough time with her, but she didn’t ask for all this craziness to happen in the first place. Eunyoung walked out the elevator doors and outside, smiling as she walked. She was listening to Your Name while she walked to the coffee shop, since it was a waste to drive to a place this close. When she reached the shop, she peered inside the windows to look for Yekyung, and saw her sitting at a small table inside in the corner, already with a cup of cappuccino in her hands. Breathing in deeply to get rid of her nerves, she opened the door and walked inside.

“Eunyoung, over here. Come sit.” Yekyung motioned for Eunyoung to sit at the table. The waitress came over to ask for her order. Eunyoung ordered an iced coffee, and then looked at Yekyung. Pulling out her earplugs, she shut off her mp3 and tucked it into her bag.

“What did you call me for? Couldn’t we have discussed this over the phone?”

“No. I needed to talk to you face to face. I know it hasn’t been long, but we’ve known each other forever, and I thought you knew where I drew the line by now. How many times have we argued? And each time, who was the one forgiving? It was me, wasn’t it? Every single time. I forgave you. But not this time. I don’t know if I can forgive you this time.” Yekyung sipped her cappuccino quietly, waiting for Eunyoung to answer.

“Yekyung, I have no idea what you’re talking about right now. And of course I remember every time we argued, how long have we been friends now? And no, it wasn’t you who forgave every single time. I’ve forgiven you as many times as you’ve forgiven me. Heck, I’ve forgiven you so many more times than you did. So I really have no idea what you want to talk to me about today.” Eunyoung didn’t touch the coffee the waitress set down on the table in front of her.

“I think you do know what I’m talking about. Up until now, I’ve been nice. I’ve been patient, waiting until he noticed me by his side. I was trying to always be by his side. But what happened? He asked, of all people, YOU to be his history project partner. You. And why did it have to be you? Why couldn’t you have said no, and waited for Onew oppa to ask? Why did you have to say yes to Jonghyun, Eunyoung. Why? You knew I had my eyes set on him from the first day we all met. And he was beginning to notice me. But now, he doesn’t even know my name. He doesn’t look at me at all. And whose fault is that? Yours.” Eunyoung was shocked. She knew Yekyung had liked Jonghyun, but not to this extent. And how in the world did Yekyung find out that they were project partners, Eunyoung will never know. But to think that she was trying to steal Jonghyun was ridiculous.

“Yekyung, I know you like him. I didn’t realize that one measly project would make you this upset. But seriously, who was the one who almost got him in trouble? Do you remember, the night you invited him to your party and got him piss drunk to the point where he didn’t know where he was? You did that to him. You almost ruined him, and made a mess. If it weren’t for me, cleaning up after you like always, he could have been in big trouble right now. You’re lucky there were no photos taken, or else you would be facing a lawsuit right now. And to whom do you owe for all that? Me.” Eunyoung took a swig from her cup, not caring for etiquette at the moment. Yekyung was making her mad. Over absolutely nothing. Like usual. Flustered, Yekyung slammed her cup down, splashing espresso everywhere.

“You won’t win, Eunyoung. I’ve lost to you too many times. Everyone seems to like you, and to them I’m just your friend that they don’t even bother to get to know. I’m sick of it. Just you wait, I will make him mine in the end.” Yekyung stood up, fished some money out of her bag, slammed it down, and walked out. Eunyoung sat there for a few more minutes, not able to comprehend what had just happened. Standing up abruptly, she kindly paid the waitress with the money Yekyung left on the table and made up for the rest by pulling out her own money. Yekyung only ever left enough money for her portion. Thanking the waitress, Eunyoung walked back outside, squinting her eyes at the brightness. She pulled out her phone and dialed the last person she thought she would ever dial in a situation like this. She called Key.

“Oh Eunyoung noona, how are you? How in the world did you get my number? Oh well, that doesn’t really matter does it. Anyways, what’s up?” Key answered, cheerful as always. He had an underlying feeling that something was wrong, and that it had to do with Onew, but he wanted to know for sure.

“Kibum, can we talk? Do you wanna meet up somewhere? Or better yet, let me get back to the house really quick to pick up Hyunae and we’ll all talk, how about that.” Eunyoung was blabbering so fast while speed walking home that she barely had time to breathe properly. All these different thoughts were running through her head at top speed, and she didn’t know how to slow them down.

“Whoa, noona, slow down. You want to go get lunch? But you’re not at your house right now, right? But you’re heading there. Okay, so you’re going back to your house to pick up Hyunae and we’re going to lunch. Where are we going to lunch now? And what are we all going to talk about?” Key was trying to make sense of everything she was saying.

“Meet me up at the pizza place near school in like 20 minutes, okay?”

“Alrighty. But noona, what do you need to talk to me about?”

“We’ll talk when we get there, okay? Okay. See you in 20.” Eunyoung hung up and sprinted the rest of the way back to her apartment. She unlocked her apartment door, breathing heavily.

“Unnie, why were you running? What in the world just happened?”

“Come on, let’s go, I’m treating you to lunch, and we’re meeting up with Key. And there, I’ll explain everything, okay?” Grabbing her sister’s hand, Eunyoung pulled her out of the apartment, shutting the door behind them.

 

“Noona, what’s wrong? Hyunae, do you know?” Key mumbled while chewing on a bite of pizza.

“Okay, so you all know that Onew oppa likes me right?” Eunyoung couldn’t eat, the whole situation was bothering her so much.

“Unnie, of course. It’s so obvious.” Key and Hyunae nodded. They both knew that Onew was head over heels in love with Eunyoung from the beginning.

Eunyoung really didn’t want to tell them, because she didn’t know how they’d react, but she just couldn’t hold it to herself anymore.

“Hyunae, so you were wondering why they were both at the house the other night, right? Well… apparently Jonghyun likes me too.” And with that, she looked down and stared at the table. Both Key and Hyunae were astonished. They really had no idea; they both thought Jonghyun disliked Eunyoung, but apparently not.

“Unnie, are you serious? What happened? And how do you know?” Hyunae wondered how this could have happened, especially since Jonghyun knew Onew liked Eunyoung too. But at the same time, she was wondering about her own problem. She could tell that Minho liked her, even though he was discreet about it. At the same time, Taemin was pretty shameless with his flirting. And she had no idea what to do either. But for right now, it wasn’t her problem they were dealing with.

“Noona, this is serious. I’m wondering, does Onew hyung know that Jonghyun likes you?” Eunyoung shook her head no. “This is going to be bad. Oh, this is going to be really bad. And interesting. Those two have always gotten along, never an argument. I always figured it was because they’re the oldest, but now, I have no idea what’s going to happen.”

“Damn it Key, what the hell am I supposed to do now? I’m so confused.” Eunyoung sighed. She didn’t want to have to choose. She looked at her watch as a habit and realized it was getting a bit late, and she still had homework to finish before her date with Onew.

“Noona, I’m sure you’ll figure it out. Anyways, I’ve gotta go meet up with Minho, we’re studying today. I’ll see you two later okay? Oh and Hyunae, Minho says hi, and that you should check your phone more often.” Key stood up and gathered his things, walking over to the counter to pay for the meal before heading out. Hyunae looked confused, and then reached in her pocket for her phone.

“Five messages from Minho? Three messages from Taemin? Why in the world are they both messaging me?” Hyunae looked at her sister.

“Hyunae, what are you talking about?”

“I’ll tell you later okay? Let’s just go home, I know you have homework to do and so do I. And I also know about your date with Onew later tonight.” Hyunae smiled. Even though she liked both Onew and Jonghyun, she secretly wanted Onew to be the one her sister picked. Packing up their things, they got into the car and drove back home, both of them lost in their own thoughts.

--------------------------------------

Hey all, I know I haven't updated in a while, but that's just because school's almost starting again for me, and I've been working as well, so I'm a pretty busy gal. I'm sorry to say that when I start school again [in 8 days ugh] I won't be able to update as often, but I'm not quitting this story, because I want to see it finished. Thank you for all the comments, they are love.

eunyoung / romantic.