Chapter 11 – I’m Sorry, I Didn’t Mean to Hurt You.

Warm Hands, Cold Heart.

Eunyoung pulled up next to Jonghyun’s car in the parking garage to his apartments, her heart beating fast and nervously. She turned the key off in the ignition, sitting there for a moment, breathing deeply to calm herself. Jonghyun got out of his car and noticed Eunyoung didn’t get out of her car yet, so he walked over and rapped on the window. She jumped and looked over, opening her door.

“Yah, what was that for? Trying to scare me?” She grabbed her bag and shut the door behind her, locking her car.

“No, it was to get you to hurry up and get out of the car. Come on, let’s go.” Grabbing her hand, Jonghyun pulled Eunyoung along. They entered his apartment building and got into the elevator, Eunyoung holding her breath a little. She always hated riding the elevator, especially since when she was younger she got stuck in one for 2 hours and passed out. Wincing a bit when the elevator lurched to go upward, towards the 12th floor, where Jonghyun’s apartment was located, Eunyoung tried to remember how to breathe.

Jonghyun noticed Eunyoung feeling uncomfortable and squeezed her hand to assure that she was okay. Jonghyun secretly prayed for the elevator to not break down this one time, because it was old and known to break down frequently. Unfortunately, his prayer went unanswered as the elevator dropped suddenly, lights flickering before shutting off totally. Cursing under his breath, he immediately pulled Eunyoung close to shelter her. Eunyoung squeaked when she felt the elevator drop and then stop in midair, her breathing becoming erratic, but felt Jonghyun pull her close to him.

“Eunyoung, are you okay?”

“Jonghyun, I’m scared.” Eunyoung’s eyes were shut tight as she buried her head into his shoulder. Jonghyun could feel her trembling slightly, and just hugged her closer. They stayed like that for a moment, just hugging each other, Eunyoung still trembling.

She finally gathered the courage to open her eyes and looked up, her eyes adjusting to the lack of light. She looked up at Jonghyun. Jonghyun noticed Eunyoung moving, and looked down at her. Their eyes locked for a moment, and Jonghyun slowly lowered his head to kiss her. Eunyoung closed her eyes again, this time kissing him back, his warm arms around her comforting her. After a few seconds, Jonghyun pulled back and kissed her on the forehead gently.

“Don’t worry, I’m here. I’ll protect you Eunyoung.” At those words, the lights came back on, the elevator shifted and started moving again, and Eunyoung’s heart melted. Jonghyun didn’t let go of her for the rest of the way up until they reached his floor. He helped her out of the elevator and walked towards his apartment door, fishing for his keys in his pocket. Unlocking the door, he gently lead her inside, helping her slip off her shoes before sitting Eunyoung down on the couch. He shut the door, went to the kitchen to grab a glass of water, and sat down next to her.

“Here, drink some water, it’ll make you feel better.”

“Jonghyun, thank you. For everything.” Eunyoung held the glass in her hands, glad that she was out of the elevator. “I’m sorry for what happened back there, I was stuck in an elevator when I was really young, so I don’t enjoy being in them, and getting stuck just reminded me of back then, and I got really scared.”

“It’s okay, Eunyoung. I understand. I’m here for you, always. Why don’t you lay down for a bit before we get started on the project? You must be feeling exhausted.” Jonghyun brought Eunyoung to his room and motioned for her to go ahead and make herself at home. “I’m not going to come in here while you’re sleeping, I promise. I’ll wake you up in an hour?” He gave her a quick peck on the cheek before shutting the door. Eunyoung sat down on his bed, taking in her surroundings. Jonghyun’s room was very clean, everything in its place. It looked as if he was really particular about where things went, and Eunyoung smiled at the likeness between them. Laying down on Jonghyun’s bed, she breathed in his smell before drifting to sleep.

 

Taemin was feeding Hyunae little bites of food while Hyunae was trying to avoid his attempts, giggling. They looked like a regular couple just out having a cute lunch together, and neither of them were paying attention to the clouds rolling in. They were just about to leave, everything packed up, when it started pouring rain.

“Crap. Hyunae, here, get under the blanket. And on the count of 3, we’re going to have to run, okay?” Hyunae nodded. “One, two, three!” Taemin held the blanket above their heads before running at full speed towards the parking lot, making sure Hyunae was able to keep up. Hyunae ran with Taemin, laughing at how alive she felt, running in the rain with him. They reached the parking lot and ran under the bathroom eaves, laughing and shaking off the water.

“Oppa, are you okay?” Hyunae grinned while wiping his wet hair away from his eyes.

“I’m fine, are you okay Hyunae? You look soaked. Here, take my sweater.” Taemin wrapped his dark blue sweater around Hyunae’s shoulders before whipping out his phone to call Key.

“Kibum hyung, are you busy? Do you think you can pick us up from the park near school? Please? You know it’s raining out here. What do you mean who else, it’s Hyunae and me. Hurry, would you? We’re wet.” Hyunae could hear Key complaining about his brand new car getting wet, but he agreed to pick them up. Ten minutes later and angry Key showed up, honking loudly. Taemin and Hyunae ran towards his car, Taemin opening the door for Hyunae before getting in.

“What in the world Taeminnie. Every time you want to plan something, something has to go wrong. Come on, let’s get you dried off. Hey Hyunae, how are you?” Key smiled at Hyunae from the rearview mirror before pulling out of the parking lot.

 

“Eunyoung, it’s time to wake up. Are you feeling better?” Jonghyun tapped her shoulder lightly, smiling. Eunyoung opened her eyes a bit, trying to remember where she was.

“Jonghyun, sorry, I fell asleep.”

“No, it’s okay, I wanted you to rest.”

“I’m feeling a lot better, thank you. I’ll be out in a second, okay?” Eunyoung hinted that she had to use the restroom, and Jonghyun understood, standing up and walking out his room and shutting the door. Eunyoung walked to the bathroom and ran her fingers through her hair, looking in the mirror to fix herself up. Washing her hands, she heard the bell ring and felt Jonghyun’s steps as he walked to the door.

Jonghyun opened the door, wondering who it could be. No one called him, and everyone knew he was studying with Eunyoung today. He opened the door and was surprised at who it was. Onew.

“Hyung, what in the world are you doing here?” Jonghyun’s eyes widened; he started feeling anxious. He knew that Onew liked Eunyoung, well, since Onew did start liking her first. But Onew had no idea about Jonghyun’s feelings for her.

“Just dropped by to pick up that test review you promised you’d lend me. You forgot, didn’t you.” Onew grinned. “That’s cool, just hand it over and I’ll be out.” Jonghyun dug through his bag, grabbing his binder and pulling out the music theory test review he copied for Onew.

“Alrighty hyung, here you go. I’ll see you in class, okay? And study hard, we all know I’m probably going to ruin the curve,” Jonghyun grinned as he handed it over. Waving hurriedly, he practically shoved Onew out the door. Right before Eunyoung came out of the bathroom, running her fingers through her hair.

“Who was that?” Eunyoung rubbed her eye, getting rid of her eye boogers.

“Oh, just my neighbor. He was wondering if I was having a party or something, because he saw someone new next to me in the parking lot.”

“Oh. Okay, ready to start cracking on this project?” Eunyoung smiled, noticing Jonghyun blushing.

“No, not really. Can we just not do it? Please?” Jonghyun did his best impression of the puppy dog look.

“When is it due? I totally forgot. Oh, no, I didn’t. It’s due in a month. But it’s a big part of our grade. We really need to get cracking on it. I’m not joking.” Eunyoung poked Jonghyun on the forehead, sending him tumbling to the floor. Eunyoung giggled.

“You thought that was funny, did you. What’s so funny now?” Jonghyun hauled himself up and attacked Eunyoung, tickling her. They both fell onto the floor, Eunyoung laughing hard from Jonghyun’s tickling attacks, Jonghyun smiling and laughing at Eunyoung’s attempts to tickle him back. Eunyoung noticed Jonghyun ended up on top of her and she stopped laughing, feeling anxious, her heart thumping loudly. Jonghyun noticed Eunyoung stopped laughing and looked down at her, gulping loudly. For one tense second they looked at each other, eyes wide, before Jonghyun leaned down to kiss her. Eunyoung kissed him back fervently, closing her eyes and savoring the slight saltiness of his lips. Just then the doorbell rang once again, and Jonghyun pulled away, extremely irritated. He started to get up when he realized someone was now in the room with them. That someone was Onew, returning because Jonghyun forgot to give him the last page of notes. Jonghyun quickly stood up, helping Eunyoung up before walking over to Onew.

“Hyung, this… this isn’t what it looks like.”

“And what does ‘this’ supposed to look like?” Onew felt the back of his neck get hot.

“Onew oppa, let me explain. Please?” Eunyoung looked from Jonghyun to Onew. She could see the worry on Jonghyun’s face, and the anger on Onew’s.

“Eunyoung, what do you have to explain to him? I’ll explain to him. It was all my fault anyways,” Jonghyun lightly pulled Eunyoung’s arm and motioned for her to sit down. Onew immediately walked over to Jonghyun, yanking his arm.

“What do you think you’re doing? Who do you think you are, messing around with my girlfriend?” Onew yelled.

“She’s not your girlfriend, she never even answered you! Who do you think you are, claiming someone like that?” Jonghyun pulled Onew’s arm off. Eunyoung quickly stood up again, not wanting to see them argue, especially over her. She stepped in between them to block them from hitting each other.

“Jonghyun, Onew, please stop. I don’t want to see two best friends fight over something as insignificant as me. Look, when I first met you two, I admit I was attracted to Onew oppa first. But after getting to know both of you better, I began to laugh more at Jonghyun’s jokes, spend more time thinking about him, and eventually falling for him. I never meant you hurt you, oppa, believe me. It’s not that I don’t care for you. I’ll always care for you. But please, don’t hate Jonghyun because of me.” Eunyoung reached over to give Onew a hug, and was glad when he gave her one back, giving her a slight kiss on the cheek. Jonghyun saw and flinched, but decided not to argue about it.

“Okay, Jonghyun. You win. I hate saying that. But if you ever hurt Eunyoung you know I will be the first one to sock you in the jaw. Eunyoung, I’m sorry that we didn’t work out. But I’ll be fine.” Onew grinned his signature grin. “Anyways, I came back to get the last page of notes from you.”

Jonghyun handed the page over before giving Onew a bro hug, locking the door tightly.

“So, will you be mine, Eunyoung?” Jonghyun turned and looked at her, pulling her towards him and wrapping his arms around her waist.

“Yes.” And she leaned in for a kiss.

----------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys!

So I know it took me forever to post this chapter, but please don't hate me, college is being a [sorry for the expletives]. But I'm finally getting into the flow of things, you could say. The next chapter is going to be the final chapter [finally hahaha], and after that I'm finally going to get started on the new ideas I've got planned. So thank you so much for sticking with me until the end. Even though I haven't updated as often as I should have.

eunyoung / romantic.