Chapter 5 – I Want to Be with You.

Warm Hands, Cold Heart.

A week. It’d been a week since Jonghyun called Eunyoung, trying to figure out what that dream was all about. And he still hadn’t found the answer. She didn’t even pick up. He tried not to let it bother him, but it was really all he could think about, even during class. And his not paying attention properly during class bothered him even more. How could a girl he barely even knew affect him this much? He had to stop this, before his grades started falling. He was so proud of his high grades, and he couldn’t let a girl ruin everything. But damnit why didn’t she pick up that day? Or why didn’t she bother to call him back? He didn’t understand, he thought they were at least friends with each other. Maybe not. But he couldn’t worry about it now, he was in class with her. With her sitting right next to him. He couldn’t concentrate, not one bit.

Eunyoung didn’t know what was going on with her. One minute, she had Onew oppa smile at her shyly, the next minute she had Jonghyun stare at her before quickly looking away. Both of them, on either side of her, doing nothing but looking at her all class period. She didn’t know what to do. She didn’t know what was wrong with them. She tried focusing on the professor lecturing, but couldn’t, because even though it was bothering her, the two were much more interesting than the lecture. But no, she couldn’t get sidetracked, not like this, or else her grades would suffer. Sighing quietly, she looked down at her notebook to see what notes she took, and it was blank. Cursing her silliness, she looked up at the board and started copying furiously, her hand getting a cramp but she didn’t care, she had to get all these notes down and stop thinking about the two guys on either side of her. For the rest of the class period, her eyes were focused on the board, copying down notes.

“Eunyoung! Are you busy this weekend?” Onew reached out to grab her arm before she could run away as they were exiting class. She had been avoiding him lately, and he really wanted to know why.

“Um…yeah, because my sister wants to go shopping at the new mall they opened, and I promised her I’d go shopping with her. We both need to pick up some new clothes and such. Why?” Eunyoung really didn’t want to make Onew feel bad, but she couldn’t really face him at the moment. But then Jonghyun rushed up to her out of nowhere and grabbed her other arm. They were both holding her arms. Eunyoung was stunned.

“Eunyoung, I need to talk to you. Hyung, can I talk to Eunyoung alone for a minute?” Jonghyun looked at Onew with a questioning look, hoping that he could just be alone with her for a few minutes. So he could finally sort out what the hell his dream meant, so it wouldn’t bother him anymore.

“Jonghyun, I was just in the middle of a conversation, can’t it wait?”

“Hyung, you know I have another class right after this, and then it’s lunch, and I don’t know when I’ll be able to just talk to her alone for a few minutes. That’s all I ask.”

“Okay fine. Eunyoung, Meet me in the library after you’re done, okay?” Onew walked off, his stomach turning, because he wanted to know what Jonghyun needed to tell Eunyoung so bad. He felt like Jonghyun was kind of intruding on their relationship, or lack thereof, and he didn’t like it. Onew had never felt this kind of anger at his own best friend before, and he didn’t know what to do, so he just removed himself from the situation and told himself to deal with it later.

Eunyoung looked at Jonghyun, absolutely speechless. She didn’t want to confront him about the dream, but since it was bothering her to the point of losing focus, she had to come clean. How, she had no idea. But she noticed he was looking at her in the same way, and started to wonder what the hell he had to talk to her about.

“What exactly do you need to talk to me about Jonghyun?” It wasn’t like they were the best of friends or anything, because they barely knew each other.

“Just… wanted to figure out something. How do you feel about me?” Jonghyun couldn’t look her in the eye; instead he was staring at the floor hard.

“Like what, as a friend?” Eunyoung started to get nervous, and her hands started sweating. Her breathing was starting to act up, though she didn’t know why.

“Um… yeah, like a friend. I want to be your friend. Do you want to start over?” He mentally smacked himself in the head, this was definitely not going how he wanted it to go, he wanted to tell her about his dream and about how he felt happy during it. But he couldn’t.

“Sure? I guess. I don’t understand why you’re being so nice to me all of a sudden,” Eunyoung told Jonghyun matter-of-factly.

“I don’t understand why either, but just go with it, will you?” He couldn’t say the words he wanted to whisper in her ear.

“Okay, fine. We’re friends.” Eunyoung grabbed Jonghyun’s hand and shook it, her heart skipping a beat when she felt how warm it was. Letting go quickly, she smiled a small smile.

“Now isn’t it time for your next class? You don’t want to be late, do you?”

“Oh, crap, yeah I should go. See you at lunch?”

“Yeah, I’ll see you later.” Eunyoung waved and walked off towards the library to meet up with Onew, but she was stopped by Yekyung. She totally forgot Yekyung was in this class with the three of them, and she must have seen the whole thing.

“What’s up girl, man I hate how we have assigned seats in this class, it’s so ridiculous, I miss chatting with you during class, and what was up with the whole Jonghyun thing? Because that looked totally awkward to me. And aren’t you dating Onew oppa now? Or not?”

“Hi. Yes it is ridiculous, and I miss talking to you during class too. Don’t worry about Jonghyun, we were just talking. And I’m not sure about Onew oppa. He hasn’t said anything yet.”

“Well girl, you leave my Jonghyun alone and get your Onew okay? Because Jonghyun is totally mine, I claimed him.”

“Whatever, I gotta go okay? I’ll see you later.” Giving Yekyung a quick hug, she sprinted to the library and saw Onew standing outside the doors waiting for her.

“I’m sorry you had to wait so long, Yekyung stopped me and started blabbing off again. Let’s go inside, okay?” Grabbing Onew’s arm, she opened the door and walked inside.

 

Eunyoung was still distracted, still thinking about that wretched dream. It was lunchtime and she picked up her things, sticking them into her bag haphazardly, not even noticing when Onew offered to carry her bag for her. She didn’t even notice where she was walking and almost ran into the door before Onew yanked her back.

“Eunyoung, are you okay? What’s wrong?”

“Oh, oppa, it’s nothing. Thank you. Let’s go get some lunch, okay? I’m starving.” Pulling the door handle, she opened the door and walked through to the sunny outdoors, squinting her eyes to get used to the brightness. They walked towards the cafeteria, Eunyoung totally silent, still thinking about that darn dream, Onew talking about something or other. They reached the café to be greeted by Key, Taemin, and Minho, along with Hyunae.

“Unnie!” Hyunae waved her sister over to the table they were seated, gesturing towards the seat between her and Jonghyun, who was already there.

“Hey Hyunae, how are classes? We rarely get to see each other, even though we live in the same house. Hi Jonghyun.”

“Hi.” Jonghyun didn’t look at Eunyoung; instead he was stabbing his bowl of rice with his chopsticks nervously. He couldn’t look her in the eye without his heart racing.

“Noona, do you have time after your last class today? Everyone else is busy and I have no one to take me to dance class. Do you mind?” Taemin grinned.

“Of course I’m free. You don’t mind if Hyunae and I tag along, do you? I want to join.” Eunyoung smiled, she could tell that everyone else being busy wasn't the only reason he asked her.

Onew was a bit upset that he wasn’t able to sit next to Eunyoung, but since he was sitting across from her he tried to catch her attention by placing little pieces of meat in her bowl, but she didn’t pay attention and just ate everything. Eunyoung was still thinking about that dream, and it was bugging her so much. Sighing for the millionth time that day, she picked at the rest of the food in her bowl listlessly. Hyunae heard, and turned to whisper something into her sister’s ear.

“Unnie, what’s wrong? Tell me while we’re taking Taemin to dance class, kay? I don’t want you to deal with it alone, like the last time.” Hyunae stood up, grabbing Taemin’s arm. “Let’s go, we don’t want to be late to class, do we?”

“Wait, when did you two have a class together?” Minho asked the question everyone was thinking.

“When we looked at our schedules and realized we had Algebra together. I didn’t know Hyunae was taking it, since she’s still in high school.” Taemin shrugged. He actually liked that they shared a class, and they sat next to each other, and that she was the kind of girl he thought she was. Nice, kind, smart, cute, and funny. He smiled, wondering what it would be like to go on a date with Hyunae, maybe see a movie, go to dinner, something like that. His wishful daydreaming was quickly interrupted when Hyunae tugged on his arm again, dragging him away from everyone else.

“Bye hyungs! Bye noona, I’ll see you after class!”

Onew watched Taemin and Hyunae walk out of the café before turning to face Eunyoung. He had something to say, and he didn’t know if he could hold it in anymore, especially since she had been avoiding him lately. He was just about to open his mouth to ask Eunyoung to be his history project partner but Jonghyun beat him to it

“Hey, Eunyoung, do you want to be partners for that upcoming history project? I say the two best brains in the class should join together to blow everyone else out of the water. Yeah?”

Both Eunyoung and Onew were shocked. Eunyoung because this was the first time he ever complimented her, and she didn’t know if she could get used to the nice Jonghyun. Onew because he didn’t know that Jonghyun was getting along with Eunyoung now, and because Jonghyun just stole Onew’s history partner pick. Eunyoung looked at Onew, wondering what his reaction would be like; his face was an expression of total speechlessness. What would she do, now that Jonghyun was being nice, and Onew was looking jealous?

“Um… sure, I guess? Onew oppa, don’t be mad?” That was all that could come out of , as was beginning to feel dry.

“Hyung, I’m only asking because I want the best grade, and since we both had the highest GPA’s, I wanted to combine the smarts. I promise I’m not trying to steal her away from you, she’s your girlfriend, okay?”

“Wait, what? Onew oppa, when did I become your girlfriend?”

“Wait, hyung, don’t tell me you didn’t ask her out yet. I thought you did? You two did go on that date, didn’t you?”

Onew knew it was finally time to spit it out. He had to ask her out, officially, or else he felt Eunyoung would get confused and upset.

“Eunyoung, I’m sorry I haven’t officially asked yet, but I was waiting for the right time to tell you. Would you be my girlfriend?”

Eunyoung looked at Onew’s face full of expectation, and then looked at Jonghyun’s face, full of… she didn’t know. Jealousy? Defeat? Seeing his face made her question her choice to finally say yes. That dream, that damned dream was messing with everything.