Chapter 12 – I Love You.

Warm Hands, Cold Heart.

“So, Hyunae, tell me why Taemin asked you out on this disaster of a date.” Key grinned, handing her a bottle of water and a towel to dry herself off. Hyunae unrolled the towel eagerly, anxious to dry her hair, too caught up in being dry to answer Key.

“Hyung, stop grilling Hyunae. I like her, okay?” Taemin ruffled his auburn hair, flicking water onto Key’s sofa.

“Hey, don’t do that, at least go grab a towel. And do you now. Well, I already knew that. Almighty Key knows everything. I also know that Minho was interested. Wonder what’s going to happen to him now.” Key grinned slightly, glancing over to notice that their faces had gone from smiles to worry.

“I don’t know how to tell him. How am I supposed to tell Minho hyung about this? He’d hate me.” Taemin covered his head with the towel Key lent him.

“Key oppa, do you think I should tell Minho? It might be easier,” Hyunae was finishing off drying her hair. She smiled at Taemin’s obvious cuteness and rubbed the towel on his head jokingly. Taemin leaned into her hand slightly, enjoying the attention.

“Hyunae, I think you and Taemin are obviously meant for each other. You two are too cute! But I do think Taemin should be the one to tell Minho. You’re closer to him.” Key grabbed his phone, about to call Minho.

“Hyung, what are you doing? I didn’t say I was going to tell him now!” Taemin pulled off the towel and tried to yank the phone away, but wasn’t quick enough, toppling to the floor from loss of balance.

“Fine, I won’t call him. But you need to. Now, I don’t want to be mean or anything, but it’s stopped raining, and I have stuff to do. I’ll drop you off wherever you need to go, so where will it be?”

“My apartment, I guess. Unnie’s not home right now. If that’s okay with you, Taemin oppa,” Hyunae stuttered shyly. She kicked herself mentally for not keeping her room clean, and vowed to clean the instant she stepped foot back in her apartment.

“That sounds okay. We should really start working on the Algebra homework due Monday, shouldn’t we,” Taemin suggested. Grinning, he pushed himself up off the floor and looked at his phone for the time.

“Hyung, drive us? Please?”

“Fine. Taemin you owe me for this, you hear? Come on Hyunae, let’s go, I’ll take you two.” Key grabbed his keys off the table and shoved Taemin and Hyunae out the door before locking it. They hopped into the elevator, Hyunae pushing the button for the underground parking garage, Taemin reaching to hold Hyunae’s free hand. Key grinned while watching the couple. They reached the garage and climbed into Key’s car, with Hyunae in front to give directions to her apartment. Within ten minutes they arrived at the complex, Hyunae climbing out of the car and Taemin hurriedly clambering out after her. They waved goodbye to Key before Taemin grabbed Hyunae’s hand once again and she led them to the apartment, her heart thumping out of her chest.

“Taemin, don’t embarrass me, okay? I wasn’t expecting to have guests, so my room’s a bit messy.” Hyunae unlocked the front door and pushed it open, letting Taemin walk in first before shutting the door behind her. Pulling off their shoes, Hyunae led him into the kitchen, the cleanest part of the house, and dropped her bag on the floor while she sprinted to her own bedroom to straighten things up a bit.

“Hyunae, your apartment’s really nice and spacious. Unlike mine.” Taemin pulled his books out of his bag and set them on the table, pulling out a pencil.

“Thanks Taemin oppa. Okay, let’s get started on this homework. Eunyoung unnie shouldn’t be home for a while, so we have the whole apartment to ourselves. Want something to drink?” Hyunae smiled shyly.

“Some water would be fine,” Taemin remarked, smiling from ear to ear. “Okay, it’s factoring, isn’t it? Shouldn’t be too hard.” Opening their books, they started on their homework.

 

“Okay, we’re done. Thank God, I thought we were going to take forever, what with you constantly dozing off,” Eunyoung punched Jonghyun lightly on the arm. She saved the document one last time on her laptop, double checking before she closed the document, and then the laptop.

“I was not dozing off, I was just resting my eyes,” Jonghyun retorted before reaching into his pocket to grab his phone, which was vibrating violently. It was Minho.

“Hey Minnie, what’s up?” Jonghyun grinned as Eunyoung planted a kiss on his forehead before going to grab some water out of the kitchen.

“Nothing much, really, just wondering why Taemin’s been avoiding me.” There was some hidden anger in Minho’s voice.

“Man, Minho, you know better than to call and ask me about that. He’s probably on a date with Eunyoung’s sister Hyunae again or something.” Jonghyun immediately regretted the words coming out of his mouth as soon as he said them.

“What. What are you talking about, Jonghyun.”

“Oh, no, nothing, nothing at all.”

“You can’t play it off now, I heard you. Taemin’s on a date with Hyunae? Where are they now? Where are you? Call him for me. Find out where he is. I need to talk to him.”

“Fine. But don’t beat him up. You can’t blame him for liking Hyunae.” Jonghyun hung up the phone and started dialing Taemin’s number before the phone shut off. He walked into the kitchen to find Eunyoung, who was standing there pouring herself a bowl of cereal.

“Hey, who told you you’re allowed to touch my cereal?” Eunyoung feigned hitting him. “Okay, okay, just kidding, eat all you want. I was just wondering if you knew where Hyunae and Taemin might be; Minho’s looking for Taemin and he sounds pissed.” Jonghyun grabbed a handful of cereal and popped the pieces into his mouth one by one.

“Oh, they should be at the apartment by now. Hyunae said Taemin invited her for lunch at the park and that they would head back to our apartment to do their algebra homework. Oh, I know why Minho’s upset. I hope they’ll be able to work it out.” Eunyoung spooned some cereal into and swallowed before continuing. “We should get going and warn them. Come on, we’re heading back to my apartment. It’s getting late anyways.” Gathering her things, Eunyoung packed them back into her bag and tidied up the room, leaving it spotless. She grabbed Jonghyun’s hand and they headed out of his apartment bound for hers.

 

Hyunae heard the lock click in the door while she was doing her homework next to Taemin on the kitchen island. Spooked, she turned around and looked at the front door as it opened, revealing Eunyoung and Jonghyun, laughing.

“Unnie, you scared the bajeesus out of me! What are you doing home so early?” Hyunae laughed quietly.

“There’s something you need to know about. Minho’s been looking for you. And he didn’t sound happy on the phone, from what Jonghyun tells me. Taeminnie, call him would you? And tell him what’s going on. I think he needs to know.”

Taemin nodded. “I think I’ve avoided him long enough. Going to call him now.” He pulled his phone out of his pocket and turned it on, ignoring the messages and voicemails and going straight to dialing Minho’s number. Eunyoung, Jonghyun, and Hyunae looked on, all three of them looking worried.

“Hey hyung. Yeah, I know you’ve been trying to call me. Sorry I’ve been avoiding you, but I didn’t know how to tell you. Hyunae’s here next to me. Yeah. We’re… kind of… dating, hyung. Sorry. I know you’re angry but I couldn’t really help it. Okay, I’ll talk to you later.” Taemin hung up the phone and dropped it on the counter.

“Well, Minnie, what did he say?” Jonghyun was too impatient.

“He didn’t really say anything, just that he was sorry it turned out like this, and that it might take a while for him to talk to me again. I know, it’s going to because of our schedules, but we’ll figure out how to make it work. Hyunae, do you mind if I go home a bit early? I’ll see you tomorrow at school, okay?” Giving her a small hug, Taemin packed his books and grabbed his backpack, saying goodbye to Eunyoung and Jonghyun before walking out the door. Hyunae watched him go, a sad expression on her face. Closing her algebra book, she retreated to her room.

“Is Minho really that upset about all this, Jonghyun?” Eunyoung tilted her head.

“I don’t really know; Minho’s always been quiet about these kinds of things. He hardly talks at all, much less talk about things like this. I’m going to go home too, okay? We’ll see each other tomorrow in school.” Jonghyun gave Eunyoung a kiss on the forehead before walking out the door, shutting it quietly.

“Hyunae ah, are you okay?” Eunyoung looked at her sister quizzically.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine unnie. I’m going to bed, okay? See you tomorrow morning.” And with that, Hyunae trudged into her room and shut the door quietly. Leaning on the door, she inhaled slowly before collapsing onto her bed and falling asleep.

 

Eunyoung was fixing breakfast when she heard water running in the bathroom, which meant Hyunae was finally awake. After a few minutes Hyunae came out of the bathroom, drying her hair with a towel. She walked over to the island and sat down, covering her head with the towel, sighing heavily.

“Unnie, what am I supposed to do? It’s not like I don’t like Minho, he’s a great guy. But it’s just that I feel more for Taemin. And I feel so bad that I’ve made them fight like this. What am I to do?” Hyunae buried her face in her hands, sighing heavily again. Eunyoung looked at her sister with the greatest concern.

“The only thing you can do is follow your heart, Hyunae. I can’t really help you any more than to tell you that. You can go and talk to Minho if you feel that is best. I can’t help you, other than the fact that it’s almost time to go to school, so you better hurry your and get your books.” Eunyoung smiled apprehensively at her sister before scarfing down her breakfast and placing the dishes in the dishwasher. She walked to her room and brushed her teeth hurriedly before grabbing her books off the desk. When she walked back out to the living room she was met with Jonghyun.

“Who let you in? How did you get in here?” Eunyoung gasped, utterly shocked. Jonghyun just grinned.

“The door was open, silly. Did you forget to lock the door again?” Eunyoung smacked her forehead and cursed herself for being so forgetful.

“I grabbed the mail this morning, and I guess I forgot to lock it when I came back. You ready for school?” Eunyoung looked around to see if she forgot anything else. “Hyunae ah, come on, we’re going to be late!”

“I’m coming, let me get my books,” Hyunae murmured, grabbing her bag and walking out the door past the couple. She didn’t look very good, and Eunyoung definitely noticed the slouch in her shoulders. Jonghyun walked out the door first, holding the door open while Hyunae trudged through. Eunyoung was the last one out of the apartment, shutting the door behind her and locking it before the three of them headed toward the parking garage towards the uncertain future.

--------------------------------------

Hey everyone!

Okay I know it's been forever since I've updated this story. And unfortunately I lost all the inspiration I had when I first started this story. But this is the last chapter. :] I've been going through some difficult times in my personal life and unfortunately that extended to here as well. T_T But I hope all the readers that stuck with me til the end enjoyed this as much as I have. :] Hopefully I'll be writing more soon in the future.

eunyoung / romantic.