Chapter 4 – Mr. Troublemaker.

Warm Hands, Cold Heart.

“Jonghyun, what the hell are you doing here. And why are you so drunk?” Onew tried to pick him up off the floor so he could get through the door, but Jonghyun wasn’t having any of it and just slumped back down.

“Hyunggg. What are youuu doing hereeee.”

“Jonghyun, you know this is my apartment, right?”

“Hyunggg, I have a headacheee.”

“Okay, okay, here, come on, get up, let’s go inside before people see you. You know manager hyung would kill us if anything like this got out.” Onew hoisted Jonghyun up with both hands and slung him over a shoulder before grabbing a key and unlocking his door. They wobbled inside and shut the door before trampling slowly towards a couch. Both sat down with a loud grunting noise, with Onew slightly perspiring from Jonghyun’s weight. They sat there without words for a few minutes before Onew finally said something.

“So, why were you drinking? And where the hell did you come from? How did you get here?”

“Hyung, my head hurts. Get me some water please, and then I’ll tell you.”

“No, you answer me first. How did you get the damn alcohol anyways? I’m the only one who’s old enough to drink.”

“Ugh fine. I was at a party, cause what’s-her-face invited me. I think she has like an infatuation with me or something, because she kept giving me shots, and she was all dancing on me, and next thing I know is she’s trying to make out with me and so I shoved her away and she got all mad and kicked me out I guess. So I was outside, and I hailed a cab and landed here. Ta-da. And before you give me that look, I promise you there were no photos taken. I promise.”

Onew shook his head. This was the first time he ever saw Jonghyun like this. He really didn’t know what to do, but he had to figure out something before someone finds out and exposes Jonghyun. Because that would be very bad.

“Who invited you? Who’s ‘what’s-her-face’?”

“Hyung, I’m sorry. I’m sorry I had to burden you like this. I don’t know what’s wrong with me, it just all of a sudden happened. Please forgive me?”

“Just tell me who ‘what’s-her-face’ is. And I forgive you. It’s okay Jonghyun, I’m here to help you.”

“It was… Eunyoung’s friend? Ugh I totally don’t remember her name right now, but I don’t really care. Can I go to sleep now? My head hurts and I’m tired. I’m sorry hyung, to put you through all this. I shouldn’t have gone to the party in the first place. It was my mistake.” Jonghyun was starting to sober up and feel even worse about the whole situation. He wished he could help, but he knew it would be better for him to stay out of it.

“I have to make a phone call, okay Jonghyun? Go ahead and lay down on my bed, I’ll bring you some water when I’m done with the phone call.” Jonghyun trudged slowly into Onew’s bedroom and flopped onto the bed, closing his eyes.

 

Eunyoung was still smiling, long after Onew had dropped her off. She pranced around her apartment, grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge, and sat on her couch, turning on the TV and flipping through channels. There wasn’t really anything good on, so she switched it to her DVD player and hit play. Voices filled her apartment as she listened to SHINee’s new album, a gift from Onew. Suddenly, her phone rang, and she paused the music to look at who was calling her so late at night. It was Onew, and she picked it up immediately.

“Onew oppa, what’s up?”

“Eunyoung, I’m sorry to bother you this late, but I have a problem. Do you think you can get in touch with your friend? Something happened, involving Jonghyun, and I need to clear up some things.”

“I probably can get in touch with Yekyung, but she called me earlier today to invite me to a party, but I didn’t go. I expect her to be trashed out of her mind at this moment, since she really does like getting drunk. What happened to Jonghyun?”

“He went to the party because your friend bugged him to come. And don’t worry, I’m not blaming you, I know it wasn’t your fault. I’m not blaming anyone, but I just need to know what happened at the party. I’m worried that some photos might have been taken, and if they get leaked out to the public we’ll get in a lot of trouble. Can you try calling her for me please?”

“Of course! Let me call her, and I’ll call you right back okay? I know where she lives too, and I have a key to her apartment, so we can go and talk to her if you’d like, if she doesn’t pick up. Just a second okay?” Eunyoung hung up and immediately dialed Yekyung’s number. If Yekyung did this to mess with Jonghyun, Eunyoung didn’t know if she could be her friend anymore. Even though they’d been best friends for their whole lives. Listening to the phone ring, she prayed Yekyung would pick up, and she did after the third ring.

“Oh heyyy Eunyoung, what’s up girl? You missed the sickesttt party everrr.” Yekyung was still drunk as ever, her words slurring so bad Eunyoung could barely understand what she was saying.

“Hey, so I heard you invited Jonghyun to the party. What happened?”

“Oh, yeah, I totally forgooot. He was so much fuuun! I gave him like ten shoots and he got so drunk! You should have been hereee, it would have beeen fun with you. By the way, he was talking about you a looot too.”

“Really now? Anyways, that’s not the point right now. Did anyone take pictures?”

“Naw, no one brought their cameraaa. Someone should have though, it would have beeeen so much fun looking at the pictures.” Eunyoung could hear Yekyung pouting through the phone, but she was so glad there was no incriminating evidence from the party.

“Okay, that’s all I wanted to know. See you on Monday in class okay? And stop drinking, because it’s bad for you. You’re not even old enough to drink.” Eunyoung hung up and called Onew.

“So what did she tell you? Did anyone take any pictures? Is there anything that could link Jonghyun to that party?”

“Onew oppa, calm down, it’s okay, no one had a camera to take pictures with. Although Yekyung sounded upset that no one has any photos from the party. But everything’s okay. Yekyung’s still drunk out of her mind though, so I told her she has to hold off on the alcohol or else I’m going over there and throwing it all in the trash. It sounded like the party was pretty much over.”

“I’m so glad. Thank you, Eunyoung, for all your help. Jonghyunnie thanks you too, even though he’s fast asleep on my bed now. Well it’s late, so I’ll let you get some rest okay? Good night.”

“Good night Onew oppa. And let Jonghyun know I told him good night too.” Eunyoung hung up, still pondering over what Yekyung told her over the phone. Why would Jonghyun, of all people, be thinking of her? She figured he hated her, but she wasn’t really sure about that. It must have been because he was drunk and was thinking about how she called him out in front of his friends, and he was holding a grudge. She figured that was what it must have been. Eunyoung decided to just shrug it off, and changed into her pajamas before climbing into bed.

 

Jonghyun woke up abruptly, sitting up quickly in the bed. He just had the most awkward dream involving him and Eunyoung. And he had no idea where the hell it came from. Rubbing his temples with his fingertips, he looked around to see where he was, and realized it wasn’t his house. Squinting, he looked around to figure out what felt so familiar about this room for a bit before realizing it was Onew’s room. He was at Onew’s apartment. Getting out of the bed, he fixed the covers and walked out to the living room, scratching his head.

“Hyung? How did I get here?”

“Oh, Jonghyun, you’re up. Long story, I’ll tell you later, but right now I’m making breakfast, want some?”

“Sure. But you have to tell me how I got here, last thing I remember is having a cab take me to some party that Eunyoung girl’s friend invited me to.” Jonghyun dug into Onew’s breakfast, just now realizing he was starving. They ate for a few minutes in silence before Onew spoke.

“Yeah, and at that party you got piss drunk and ended up in front of my door last night. You’re lucky I got home early, or else you would have been sitting there for a few hours.”

“Oh really now? And where were you last night?"

“If you must know, I was on a date. With Eunyoung.” Onew grinned happily, reminiscing last night’s events. Jonghyun, on the other hand, had a questioning look on his face that he quickly erased when he noticed his hyung looking at him. He was still trying to figure out his dream, but he didn’t want Onew to find out it was about Eunyoung, or else he would get upset. Jonghyun saw Onew’s grin when he talked about Eunyoung, and he knew he shouldn’t mess with his hyung’s crush. After finishing breakfast and helping clean up, he waved goodbye to Onew and walked to the ground floor to catch a cab.

Jonghyun reached his own apartment complex, fiddled in his pockets for his keys, and trudged up to the fourth floor to his apartment. Once inside, he stripped out of his day-old clothes and hopped in the shower, pondering all the while. He didn’t understand why he would dream of Eunyoung, of all people. The girl his hyung liked, the girl who hated him, the girl he thought he disliked. But the dream changed his whole perspective on everything, especially his relationship with Eunyoung. In his dream, for some reason, they were both facing each other on a grassy hill with eyes closed, wind blowing softly. Jonghyun had cheated and peeked his eyes open, watching Eunyoung’s long hair blow softly in the wind. And then, all of a sudden, he smiled slightly before leaning in to kiss her, with her kissing him back. And that’s when he woke up. He wanted to know what his dream meant so much that his head was hurting. Or was it his hangover? Either way, he didn’t want to deal with this burden. Little did he know someone else had to deal with it as well.

 

Eunyoung also woke up with a start that morning, having experienced the exact same dream. Quickly hauling her out of bed and into the shower, she thought hard about her dream while letting the cold water calm her down. She didn’t understand why she would have a dream like that, since she just had a date with Onew and all. She wanted to know why she was kissing Jonghyun. Well, more like she wanted to know why he kissed her and she kissed him back. She heard from Yekyung once that if you dreamt about a person you know, they were dreaming the same dream as you as well. That worried Eunyoung; that meant Jonghyun had the same dream as well. Sighing, she finished showering to start her day, hoping the dream meant nothing at all. She checked her phone to look at the time and noticed she had a missed call. From Jonghyun.