Chapter 10 – I’m Not Giving Up on You.

Warm Hands, Cold Heart.

Hyunae woke up, eyes still groggily closed. Looking at her alarm clock, she saw it read 9:30. Thinking she was extremely late for school, she shot up out of bed and stumbled towards her bathroom, hopping into the shower. After showering, she jumped back out, running into her closet to change, grabbing a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. She sped out of her room and into the kitchen, where she found her sister.

“UNNIE! Why didn’t you wake me up, I’m so late for school!” Hyunae yelled at her sister. And watched as her sister just sat at the kitchen island, munching on breakfast, laughing hysterically. Hyunae’s eyes widened. Why would her sister be laughing at her when she was so late for school?

“Hyunae, calm down, would you? I can’t believe you’re so wrapped up in schoolwork that you think you have school on a Saturday.” Eunyoung giggled a bit more before scooping another spoonful of cereal into . She remembered the days when she was exactly like her sister, so intent on schoolwork that she thought she had school on Saturdays. Hyunae breathed a huge sigh of relief.

“Man, I totally thought today was Friday. I guess I was just so focused on other things that I haven’t been keeping track of the days of the week.” Hyunae dropped her bag and laughed, grabbing a bowl and pouring herself a bowl of cereal. “But unnie, why were you up early? It’s Saturday, you should be sleeping in late. Like me.” Hyunae shoveled some cereal into .                                   

“Because I’ve been doing homework, that’s why. I’m meeting up with Jonghyun for lunch, so we can discuss who does what for the project.”

“Ooh, you’re working on a project together with Jonghyun oppa? This is interesting. I thought Onew oppa was going to ask you first.”

“Yeah, I know what you mean. Jonghyun got to me first before Onew oppa did. And boy, did he look upset when he heard the words come out of Jonghyun’s mouth.”

“Yeah I bet he was. But you do like Onew oppa more than Jonghyun oppa, don’t you unnie? I mean, it looks like Onew oppa likes you a lot more than Jonghyun oppa does.” Hyunae finished up her cereal, grabbing her sister’s empty bowl and beginning to clean up. She put the dirty bowls in the sink while she wiped down the island, and started rinsing them out.

“I don’t know, Hyunae. I like Onew oppa, but I feel so much more comfortable with Jonghyun. I have yet to figure out who I choose. What about you? It sounded like you had much more fun with Taemin than Minho.” Eunyoung flipped through her notebook, double checking her notes. If she was to meet up with Jonghyun, she wanted to at least be prepared to discuss the project.

“Minho oppa is so nice, but you’re right unnie, I have so much more fun with Taemin oppa. I don’t know unnie, I don’t know who I should choose yet.” Hyunae wiped the bowls dry before putting them back in the cabinet. “But anyways, aren’t you going to eat lunch with Jonghyun oppa today? Tell me what happens when you come home okay?” Hyunae walked back to her room, putting her bag back on the hook, and sat down at her desk, logging onto the internet on her laptop.

Taeminnie sent you a new message: Hyunae, I’m bored. Let’s go play!

Hyunae stared at the screen for a few seconds before it registered in her head who it was.

Hyunae sent you a new message: Taemin oppa, how did you get my screen name?

Taeminnie sent you a new message: Does that matter? I’m boooored.

Hyunae laughed at his cuteness, exuding even over the internet.

Hyunae sent you a new message: Tell me when and where, and I’ll get unnie to drop me off.

Taeminnie sent you a new message: At the park near school, in an hour. :] I’ll bring us lunch!

Hyunae sent you a new message: Alright, see you then Taemin oppa! :]

Hyunae logged off her computer, laughing to herself. She wondered what could have sparked this random date, but she didn’t really mind. She peeked back into the kitchen, her sister still sitting at the kitchen island, headphones in and pen scribbling furiously. Hyunae decided to let her sister know a little later, and with that she hopped into the shower.

“Hyunae, what are you doing? Why are you getting all dressed up? And wait, isn’t that my shirt?” Eunyoung smiled as she saw her sister coming out of her bedroom dressed in a v-neck t-shirt and a skirt, hair pin-straight.

“Unnie, I didn’t tell you earlier because you were still doing homework, but Taemin asked me out on a date over the internet earlier. Drop me off?” Hyunae smiled, obviously excited.

“Haha of course. When are you meeting him? Right now? Oh good, perfect timing, I’m about to meet Jonghyun for lunch, I’ll just drop you off before seeing him.” Eunyoung ran a hand through her wavy hair, folding her notebook closed and stuffing it into her bag, along with her textbook and her pencil bag. Grabbing her keys, she walked over to the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water before looking over at her sister.

“Hyunae, you ready? Let’s go.” Motioning for her sister to go through the door, Eunyoung shut it and locked it behind her, both girls giggling and gossiping about guys as they walked towards the parking garage. Pulling out of her parking spot, Eunyoung drove down the ramp and outside into the bright sunshine. It was a perfect day to be outside, the wind blowing a bit breezily, the sun shining. A few minutes later they arrived at the park, Hyunae looking around to spot Taemin oppa, but he was nowhere to be seen.

“Unnie, I’ll call you when we’re done okay? And I’ll call you if I need anything. Bye!” Giving her sister a quick hug in the car, Hyunae hopped out and shut the door, waving goodbye as her sister drove away. Walking towards the swings, Hyunae sat down on one of them, waiting for Taemin to show.

 

Eunyoung drove towards the restaurant she agreed to meet with Jonghyun at, beginning to feel a bit nervous. What if the notes she took weren’t adequate enough? She knew how competitive he could be about grades; they were constantly battling to see who got the higher score on tests. Pulling into the parking lot, she parked her car, grabbed her bag, and walked inside, looking around a bit for Jonghyun. She didn’t have to look very far; they were the only two customers in the whole restaurant. Jonghyun spotted Eunyoung walking in and immediately stood up, walking over to her and giving her a hug. Eunyoung was a bit surprised, but hugged him back.

“I’m glad you made it,” Jonghyun breathed into her hair. Eunyoung almost melted into his arms; she didn’t know someone could make her feel like this. Jonghyun pulled back, smiling, and then motioned for her to sit. The waiter came over, and Jonghyun ordered for the both of them, glancing at Eunyoung to see if she minded, but it didn’t look like she did. They sat there when the waiter left, the silence feeling extremely overbearing. Eunyoung was about to reach into her bag and pull out her notes until Jonghyun reached over and held her hand.

“I thought my hands were small, but yours are tiny. And your hands are cold.” Jonghyun laced his fingers in between hers.

“You have really warm hands.” Eunyoung liked how her hand fit perfectly in his.

“Yes, but it means that I have a cold heart as well.” Jonghyun grinned.

“I doubt that.” Eunyoung looked up and noticed the waiter brought their food. “Jonghyun, what did you order for me?”

“What I got. Chicken garden salad. Is that okay with you?”

“Yeah, I love chicken. Thanks.” Eunyoung smiled; she never noticed this side of Jonghyun before. Well, she didn’t really get the chance to, considering they just had their first kiss last week. She figured it was time to get to know him better. They chatted while eating lunch, Eunyoung finding out that he was an only child, that he loved to sing and was really good at it, and that he always found it difficult to open up to people. She let him know about her own passion for music, and he demanded that they sing a duet sometime. They ate the rest of their lunch in peace, with Jonghyun stealing glances at Eunyoung eating every few minutes. When they finished, Jonghyun paid the bill and immediately grabbed Eunyoung’s hand, leading them out of the restaurant.

“Come on, let’s go have some fun!” Jonghyun didn’t really want to study; he wanted this date with Eunyoung to be perfect.

“Jonghyun, we’re supposed to be working on the project silly. If we don’t, what is going to happen to our grades?” Eunyoung was a bit worried that they wouldn’t be able to get anything done today. It wasn’t just a date, it was a homework date.

“Oh fine. Let’s head back to my house, then, since it’s closer.” Eunyoung’s heart raced a bit at the thought of being in his apartment alone with him, but since they had nowhere else to go, she agreed. Getting into their cars, they both drove back to his apartment complex.

 

Taemin found Hyunae sitting on a swing in the park. He snuck up behind Hyunae, covering her eyes with his hands playfully, leaning down to reach her level. In an instant, Hyunae whipped her head around and was face to face with Taemin. Suddenly, Taemin closed the distance between them, his lips pressing against hers. Hyunae was too surprised to pull back. Closing her eyes, she kissed back slightly for a few seconds before pulling back and opening her eyes once again.

“Taemin oppa…” Hyunae was too shocked to say anything.

“Hyunae, I’m sorry. I know you were surprised. I didn’t mean to make you upset.” Taemin scratched his head, worried that he did something wrong.

“It’s okay oppa. It’s just… that was my first kiss.”

“Mine too.” Taemin smiled, and Hyunae smiled back. His kiss made up her mind. She felt really sorry towards Minho, but she just didn’t know how she felt about him. She knew how she felt about Taemin. Now she just had to figure out how to let Minho know. Looking down, she noticed Taemin had a picnic basket in his hands.

“Taemin oppa, what’s that? Did you make lunch for me?” Hyunae grinned.

“Yes I did! With Key umma’s help. But he made me do most of the work. Come on, let’s go eat.” Taemin grabbed Hyunae’s hand, pulling her up and leading her to a grassy area. He spread out a blanket and motioned for Hyunae to sit before pulling food out of the basket. Handing her a sandwich and a can of soda, he tapped his can against hers, toasting.

“To us. Hopefully.”

“To us.” Smiling, Hyunae leaned over and kissed Taemin a kiss on the cheek.

-----------------------------------------

I've been working on this chapter for like a week, and I'm finally done with it. Starting school tomorrow [Monday], so I'm a bit excited and a bit worried at the same time. I have a big workload on my hands this semester, so if it seems like I'm updating slow, please don't blame me. Blame my craziness in wanting to take 5 college courses. Anyways, enjoy the chapter because it's getting good. And as always, comments are <3ed.

Eunyoung / romantic.