Chapter 3 - Getting to Know You.

Warm Hands, Cold Heart.

Eunyoung woke up, already smiling. It’s been two weeks since the semester started, and she was finally getting into the flow of having daily homework assignments and the like. She and Onew were starting to be more comfortable with each other, more informal with each other. She still liked calling him Jinki oppa instead of Onew oppa, but he didn’t really mind. The sound of her voice saying his name was something that made him smile so big every time. But the other reason she was waking up smiling was because it was the weekend, and she didn’t have any homework because she finished it all, and her sister was with their parents for the whole weekend. Not that she didn’t love having her sister live with her, but she still loved her privacy the most. She grabbed a towel and got into the shower, glad that she had the apartment to herself this weekend and glad that she made a new friend. Jinki… Onew oppa was coming by to pick her up later so they could do some research for their history papers. She had a feeling there was going to be some deviation from the original idea, but she was a bit excited to see where the day would take her.

Jinki woke up, grinning already. He had finally mustered the courage to ask Eunyoung out on a “date” and was so giddy he couldn’t stop smiling. He knew she just thought they were going to study for history together, but he was planning something else. Or trying to, anyways. He didn’t know how it was going to go, but he figured if he wings it perfectly then there would be no problem, right? Shrugging and scratching his head, he paced around his apartment, trying to think of a way to pull off this whole date thing without a glitch, and then finally called Key, the master of all things girly.

“Kibum, I need your help. You remember Eunyoung, right? Well I kind of asked her out on a date today, but I have no idea what I’m going to do. Help me?”

“Hyung, of course, Key is always here for you! What did you tell her, that it was a real actual date or just a study date? Wait, knowing you, you probably said study date. Of course you would. Did you do the same thing with Jieun too?”

“Okay we’re not talking about her anymore, you hear me?”

“Okay hyung, I’m sorry.” Key whacked himself in the face, he should have known better than to joke about something like that with Onew. Onew doesn’t like joking when it comes to girls, because he’s always been so shy. “So what did you want to do with Eunyoung noona today? Like what kind of date are you looking for? A cute first date, a serious date, a y date, a sporty date, what kind of date?”

Onew’s head was spinning at all the suggestions. “Um, a comfortable first date, I guess? Because it is going to be my first actual date and all. Just something simple, like going to the park, or seeing a movie, or going to dinner or something. That’s all I want. Does that sound okay?” Onew was starting to regret asking Key for dating advice. But then Key said something that would stick with Onew for a long while.

“You have to really like her, hyung. It can’t be done half-heartedly. Okay? Now listen to me. I say you two go get dinner and then go for a stroll in the park. Nice and simple.” Key grinned. “And no chicken, okay? Girls usually don’t want to get fat, so they won’t usually eat chicken. So NO CHICKEN.”

“Fine, I get it. Thanks Kibum, I can always count on you.” Jinki hung up the phone and did a little victory dance. He had a plan, he had money, he had the whole world at this moment. Yawning, he skipped into the bathroom to get ready, even though it was barely noon.

 

Yekyung called Eunyoung up to see what she was doing tonight, since it was a Saturday, and she wanted to go party with her friend.

“Eunyoung! Where you at girl? What are you doing tonight? I heard there’s going to be a rad party and all the awesome people are invited, so come with me okay? And leave your book smarts at home cause you’re going to get trashed with me!”

“Yekyung, you already sound like you’re partying by yourself. And I would love to go with you and all, but it so happens I have plans tonight. Yes, I have plans for once in my life on a weekend. So don’t sit there all shocked, and be happy for me okay? Going on a study… thing with Onew oppa. So enjoy the party, because I won’t be there okay?” Eunyoung was smiling from ear to ear; she was pretty glad she finally had something legit to do so Yekyung would stop bugging her to go to parties. She was never really into the party scene.

“Ooh Eunyoung, I know what you’re up to. You’re going on a date with Onew oppa aren’t you? But that’s okay, I want Jonghyun all to myself. So you have fun with Onew, and I’ll rope Jonghyun into my charms and get him to fall for me. Wish me luck!”

“Good luck, I guess. It doesn’t seem like he knows who you are. Well, he does, but it seems like he doesn’t care about you very much. Are you sure it’s going to work out?”

“Of course! Everything always works out for me, trust me.”

“Okay, I’ll see you later Yekyung.”

 

Onew was finally done preparing for his date with Eunyoung. He had a bouquet of white daisies in his hand and his car keys in the other, watching the watch tick down to the last seconds before he walked out the apartment door and fumbled with the lock, skipping down the stairs to his car in the parking garage. Gently placing the bouquet in the passenger seat, he started his car and began driving towards Eunyoung’s apartment. He figured she thought it was just going to be them studying for history, and that she’d be so surprised when he shows at her door with a bouquet for her. He was getting giddy and extremely nervous just thinking about it.

Eunyoung towel dried her hair and grabbed a comb to part it, wondering what Onew oppa was up to with this study date. She had an idea that it wasn’t going to be about history tonight, but she didn’t really know what to expect. Shrugging, she slipped on a short white summer dress and grabbed a blow dryer to dry her hair even more, before grabbing the hair straightener to curl her hair. It sounds weird, using a hair straightener to curl her hair, but her CHI worked perfectly, making her black mid-back length hair go from pin straight to soft waves, in a matter of two whole hours. But because she recently got a haircut and asked the stylist to thin out her normally thick hair, it only took her 45 minutes tonight. Looking at herself in the mirror, she pondered if she should put on some makeup or not. She liked going barefaced because putting on makeup was such a hassle, but she had a feeling just a touch of makeup today would do the trick. Smiling, she swept a light blush over her cheeks, applied a bit of lip balm to her lips, and a touch of eyeliner and mascara to her eyes. She wanted to keep her face as natural looking as possible, but she wanted to highlight her black rimmed dark brown eyes. Smiling at her reflection in the mirror once again, she looked at her phone to check the time. ‘He should be pulling up any minute now,’ she thought.

Onew pulled into Eunyoung’s apartment complex parking garage, driving up to the 5th floor, Eunyoung’s apartment floor. Pulling into a parking spot, he subconsciously wiped his perspiring hands on the fabric of his jeans before grabbing the bouquet and climbing out of the car. He walked towards her apartment, getting more and more nervous with every footstep. His nervous jitters were coming out, and he stopped in the middle of the hallway and took a few deep breaths before continuing forward to apartment 504. Eunyoung’s apartment. Breathing in one last deep breath, he checked his hair before pressing the doorbell.

Eunyoung heard the doorbell ring, and her heart skipped a tiny beat. Primping herself, she walked to the door and opened it. And there stood Onew oppa, hair slightly tousled from the drive here, with a bouquet of white daisies in his hands. She immediately smiled; she had no idea how he figured out that daisies were her favorite. But she didn’t really care, it was the first time a guy’s ever given her flowers, so she took them and breathed in their fragrance.

“Onew oppa, you shouldn’t have bought these for me. How did you know they were my favorite?”

“I didn’t really know, I just picked out the bouquet that reminded me of you the most. Bright and cheerful. You look beautiful, by the way.”

Eunyoung blushed. “Thank you oppa. You look very handsome yourself. But what’s with the flowers? I thought we were just going to study for the history project Professor Pain-in-the- assigned us. And you look so dressed up. Where exactly are you taking me?”

It was Onew’s turn to blush; he felt like he had permanently lost his voice. Eunyoung was standing in front of him in a summery white dress, long wavy hair, and subtle makeup, with a big smile on her face. Any remaining nervousness he felt just dissipated into thin air. Seeing her smile made him forget that he was nervous, made him forget about anything else except for her at the moment. And then he smacked his head. He was supposed to at least say something.

“Sorry, I totally lost my thought just then. I’m taking you to dinner. Does that sound okay? I didn’t know if you’d be upset about the change in plans.”

“No, it’s not a problem at all! I’d love to go to dinner with you oppa. We can always study later. Let’s go.”

Eunyoung grabbed her bag and locked her door before walking down the hall with Onew to his car. He opened the door for her like a gentleman and shut it before getting in and started the engine, helping Eunyoung buckle her seatbelt before buckling his own. Eunyoung was all smiles all night long. This was exactly how she imagined her first date with a guy, with him preparing everything and her not having to worry about anything like who was going to foot the bill and so on. He took her to dinner at a tiny little Italian place tucked in the corner of a quiet neighborhood, paid for the tab, did all the chivalrous things that Eunyoung always imagined a guy would do for her. The evening was going so perfect that she felt that it was too good to be true. She wanted to tell Onew to pinch her to make sure she wasn’t dreaming.

Onew felt so happy for the first time in a long time. His date with Eunyoung was going perfectly fine, he had yet to slip up and say something stupid, or do a ridiculous body gag, or anything silly. He was the perfect gentleman, and he was thoroughly enjoying himself. And it looked like his date was enjoying it too. After dinner he drove her to the park near her apartments, and there, they walked for a bit, and then sat at a bench, talking. Eunyoung learned about Onew’s love for singing, and chicken, and protecting his dongsaengs. Onew learned about Eunyoung’s singing talent, her love for her family, and her goals and aspirations. Every time Eunyoung smiled at him, Onew felt his heart tug just a bit, his breath catch short just a bit, his hand itch to hold hers just a bit. And he didn’t know it, but Eunyoung was starting to feel the same. Being with Onew just felt so nice, and she was just so happy, but she felt a bit of a nagging feeling in the back of her head. And she didn’t know why. She wanted to know why, but she couldn’t figure it out for the life of her. So for now, she ignored that feeling, and enjoyed the rest of her date with Onew.

After sending Eunyoung home, Onew just had to tell someone about his fabulous date. When he reached his apartment complex he was just about to call Key when he noticed someone sitting on the floor outside his apartment door. It was Jonghyun, and he was drunk out of his mind.