Chapter 1 – You Are Such an .

Warm Hands, Cold Heart.

            At last. Junior year. She was looking forward to finishing up her basic courses and finally start on classes for her major, including music theory and international trade. A bright and cheerful girl, Eunyoung was very ambitious. Having already studied Chinese, Japanese, and Vietnamese from home, she figured international business would be the perfect major. But she was also talented in the music area, having taken piano lessons since 4 years old. But she was really just a typical 20 year old, with big hopes and dreams. Waking up super early on the first day of school, she jumped into the shower and brushed her teeth, wondering what kind of professors she would get this semester. Grabbing some toast and a tumbler of orange juice, Eunyoung rushed out of her apartment with her bag on her shoulder, ready to face the first day of school.

            Jinki woke up smiling for the first time in a while. Senior year was dawning, and after the year was over he could finally go on a much needed vacation before starting grad school. He shut off his chicken alarm clock and hopped out of bed and into the shower. Thinking weird thoughts like he always does when he showers, he was hoping this year was the year he could finally expand his social life to include girls. The last girl he tried talking to after secretly crushing on her for 6 months had turned him down indefinitely. Just remembering that scene made him cringe a bit. He swore to himself he’d never make himself look like such an idiot in front of a girl ever again, even if that meant swallowing his feelings for someone. Gobbling down some morning chicken, he pranced out the door with a newfound confidence to finish his last year of undergrad with a bang.

            Jonghyun’s eyes groggily opened and looked at the clock on his bedside table. Then he sat up with a start. It was already 7, and his class started in half an hour. He was going to be late already, and on the first day of the semester. Cursing his laziness, he rushed through taking a shower and brushing his teeth, grabbed his backpack and ran out of the house without even eating breakfast, slid into his car, and rushed off to school, praying there was little traffic so he could make it to class on time. While weaving through the thick traffic on the way to the university, he almost had to slam on the brakes because of a slow-moving car in front of him and switched lanes on a whim, cutting off the driver next to him. Waving a small apology, he kept driving until he saw the university clock tower looming in front of him. Parking haphazardly, he grabbed his bag out of the car and sprinted to his first class, praying there was still time before it started.

“Who the hell do you think you are you ?” Eunyoung was pissed. Some idiot just cut her off on her way to school, without a signal or anything. Cursing loudly, she honked at him and kept driving. Because of him she was going to be late to class, so she accelerated to at least try and not be late. She rushed into the parking lot, counting down the minutes on her watch, running full speed across campus to her first class. Seeing as she wasn’t the only one, she didn’t feel so bad. She finally made it to the classroom door when the other person she noticed running across campus shoved her out of his way into the classroom. ‘How rude,’ she thought, as she caught her breath before entering.

Looking across the classroom at all these new faces in her music theory class, she took one of the remaining empty seats next to a mousy brown-haired guy who looked like he just blew in with the wind. And he smelled a bit like chicken, although Eunyoung had no idea why. Shrugging, she looked around the room, and noticed him. The guy who cut her off this morning. The guy who shoved his way into the classroom with no care for her at all. The guy with dark brown hair who looked like he thought he owned everything. Scowling, she turned back around to face the front of the classroom and watched the professor enter. The next hour was just basic beginning of school procedures, with supply lists, textbook references, basic classroom protocol, and the layout of the grading system. Suppressing a slight yawn, Eunyoung turned to the side and smiled at her new desk neighbor. He smiled back shyly before whipping his head back into his notebook to keep copying the notes on the board.

Jinki was sitting calmly in his new music theory class, not even bothering to fix his hair that was windblown from the bike ride. He watched as Kibum and Minho shuffled into class together, taking seats a few rows behind him. He knew for sure Jonghyun was going to be the last of them in this class, since Taemin is just a freshman, but he was curious about the other classmates. Jonghyun rushed in a few minutes after Kibum and Minho panting like a dog and stood at the door for a few seconds to catch his breath before walking to an empty seat on the row behind Jinki. The classroom looked pretty full by now, and so Jinki figured that was all the classmates he would have in this class. But then walked in Eunyoung, looking flustered as she scanned the room for an empty seat. Jinki’s heart skipped a beat, staring at her. Even though she was flustered and looking a bit messy, Jinki still thought she looked beautiful. He let out a tiny gasp when she ended up in the empty seat right next to him, dropping dramatically and breathing hard. He could barely concentrate the whole class, especially when she glanced at him and smiled. ‘Her smile is amazing,’ he thought as he shyly smiled back at her. This was going to be the most interesting class in his schedule.

After class let out, Jonghyun hung around the door waiting for the gang to meet up. Taemin came jogging up, giving Jonghyun a hi-five and a smile.

“Hyung, class is over for you?”

“Taemin, what time is your first class?”

“Oh we’re just doing orientation today, classes start tomorrow for us.”

“Really? How interesting. But then again, I’m too old to remember.”

Jonghyun laughed. He actually entered Inha as a sophomore, transferring from Kyunghee like the rest of his group. Back before they relocated Taemin was still in high school, so when they relocated he was in his last year of high school. Onew, Kibum, and Minho came out after speaking with the professor about their hectic schedules, smiling at Jonghyun and Taemin.

“Our little Taeminnie is finally growing up!” Key exclaimed.

“Key umma, you have to help me, I don’t know where anything is around here.”

“Jonghyun, why were you breathing so heavily when you got to class earlier? You looked like you just ran fifty miles,” Minho said.

“Don’t ask. I was about to be late this morning, and then there was this person in front of me going so slow that I couldn’t take it and cut a lot of people off. I made it here just in time. Onew hyung, what’s up?”

“That girl who came in after you looked even more flustered,” Jinki grinned. He still couldn’t get over how pretty she looked. Little did he know she was standing right behind him, trying to figure out why they were all blocking the door.

            Eunyoung chatted with the professor after class was over for a few minutes, getting some things straight concerning deadlines and all that. Hoisting up her bag, she flattened out her skirt and walked towards the door. She was about to walk out of it until she noticed there were some guys blocking it, talking. Rolling her eyes, she was about to tap on the guy in front of her so he would move, until she heard what they were talking about.

“…there was this person in front of me going so slow I couldn’t take it and cut a lot of people off…”

“That girl who came in after you looked even more flustered.”

Clearing , she watched as they turned around to look at her. There were five of them, and they all looked pretty shocked, although she didn’t know why. One of them was really tall, with black hair; another was really young looking with long light brown hair that made him look almost like a girl; one of them had a semi-shaved head but for some reason it didn’t look at all weird; the one closest to her was the one that was sitting next to her during class. But the last guy was the one she immediately scowled at. It was that a-hole from this morning. So he was talking about her driving earlier. He looked totally shocked now.

“You? The super slow driver?”

“You? The total of all s?”

“Psh you were driving like a turtle, what was I supposed to do, be late to class?”

“Because of you I was the one almost late to class. And then you HAD to shove me out of your way when I was trying to get through the door.”

“You drive exactly the way you walk. Slow.”

“You know what, I don’t even have to talk to you. Get out of my way.”

Eunyoung almost stormed off, but someone grabbed her arm.

“Hey, calm down. Our Jonghyunnie can be a bit hyper at times, but I know he didn’t mean to cut you off or shove you, okay?” Jinki smiled shyly, he couldn’t believe he was actually talking to her. But then again, he never really got up the courage to be able to talk to any girl. This was kind of a first for him, except for the last girl he had a crush on.

“Oh so that’s your name, huh. Jonghyun, just you wait, I’m going to report you for cutting me off this morning. You almost hit me, did you know that?” Eunyoung took out a pen and wrote his name on her hand.

“Hey, you don’t need to do that, I’m sure he’s sorry, aren’t you Jonghyun?” Jinki looked at him, glaring to tell him he should apologize.

“No I’m not sorry. She should learn how to drive properly.” Jonghyun scowled, but then immediately regretted what he said. Their manager hyung would be really angry if he learned what happened. “I’m… sorry,” he said through gritted teeth, hoping the girl could just forget about it.

“No, you’re not. I can tell from your facial expression. Apologize for real, Jonghyun.” Jinki really didn’t want this to be her first impression of him, a guy who hangs out with horrible people.

“Fine. I’m sorry.”

“Okay, since you apologized.” Eunyoung smiled. The guy named Jinki was pretty cute. He had a nice smile, and he seemed very genuine. “My name is Kim Eunyoung, it’s nice to meet you.”

All the other guys got excited. She didn’t actually know who they were, and they were glad for that, because being screamed at by crazy fangirls made them really tired.

“I’m Taemin, it’s nice to meet you Eunyoung noona, is it okay if I call you noona?” The guy with long hair spoke. He looked and sounded too cute for words.

“Yes you can Taemin, since I am older than you.” Eunyoung smiled, she liked having a younger sister but she always wondered what it would feel like to be called noona instead of unnie.

“I’m Kibum, but everyone calls me Key. I am totally loving your outfit right now,” the guy with the semi-shaved head grinned.

“Thanks, I got this outfit just the other day. It’s nice to meet you.”

“I’m Minho,” the tall guy said.

“Nice to meet you Minho, you’re so tall!”

“Haha, people tell me that all the time.” Minho glanced over at Jonghyun, who he knew would make a face at this comment. Everyone knew Jonghun was the shortest, and he was often the of many short jokes.

“My name is Jinki, but you can call me Onew, everyone does. And of course this is our dear Jonghyunnie.” Jinki patted him on the back playfully, but Jonghyun just shrugged him off.

“So how do you guys know each other?” Eunyoung was curious, they didn’t look like they would really have anything to do with each other, because they were all different ages and with different personalities.

“We’re famous, noona,” Taemin said. Seeing her confused look, he decided to elaborate a bit. “We’re SHINee, from SME. Noona, haven’t you seen us on TV before?” Come to think of it, she has, but she never really thought she’d meet them in real life. She was fangirling a bit on the inside, but didn’t want to show it. She always thought Jonghyun would be the nicest, since he was always smiling. But apparently not.

“It was nice meeting all of you, but I really need to get to my next class now.” She looked at her watch, her next class wasn’t for another hour, but she didn’t want to talk to them if Jonghyun was going to be there; she didn’t want to deal with him right now. She began to walk off, until Jinki grabbed her arm.

“What class are you going to? My next class is History, what’s yours?”

“Mine too! What classroom are you in?” She peeked at his schedule, then looked at her own. “We’re in the same class!”

“Here, I’ll walk with you to class. See you guys later for lunch, okay?” Jinki waved to the others as he walked off. They looked so confused.

“Wait, hyung’s talking to a girl? I thought he was still hung up on that last one. What was her name again? Jieun?” Key shrugged his shoulders. Onew could be so weird sometimes. They watched him walk off, perusing the various possibilities that their hyung could be interested in this girl. Jonghyun scowled once again before walking off to his next class.