Chapter 17

Okay, Maybe I'm Not a Girl

“Please Ms. Byun, I’m not the person you think I am. I will protect Baekhyun with my life. I won’t hurt him, I promise.” Chanyeol begged.

 

Baekhyun’s mom opened the front door, “Leave now.”

 

“Mom! I know why you’re doing this! It’s because of your parents… I know you don’t want me to get hurt…but I truly love Chanyeol and together we can face society! I don’t care if people look down on us! All I want in life is to be able to be with Chanyeol with your approval.” Baekhyun shouted.

 

His mom’s eyes widened when she heard him. She didn’t know that he knew about it. “Son, I talked to my co-workers. You’ll be meeting Mr. Kim’s daughter tomorrow. I’ll give you the details after this intruder leaves.”

 

“MOM!” Baekhyun shouted even louder this time.

 

“IF YOU DARE DISOBEY ME, DON’T EVEN CALL ME MOM EVER AGAIN.”

 

Baekhyun was stuck in front of two paths right now. One path would be to ignore his mom and leave the house with Chanyeol, and the other was to obey his mom and ask Chanyeol to leave. He didn’t know what to do. He loved them both and wanted both of them to stay in his life. But with his mom’s ignorance, he was left standing in between them in silence.

 

Chanyeol ran his hand down Baekhyun’s back and forced a smile at him, “I’ll leave for now.” He muttered and left the house.

 

“I’m glad he knows his place.” His mom said after Chanyeol left. She slammed the door shut and eyed Baekhyun. “Tomorrow at 4 at the café nearest to our house, don’t be late.”

 

Baekhyun had never seen this side of his mom before. What happened in her past that made her resent Chanyeol so badly? “I don’t even know if I want to call you mom now…” Baekhyun whispered as he brushed his shoulder against his mom and headed out the door.

 

His mom was left in the house alone. She had not expected Baekhyun to say such thing. Though she was happy that she got rid of Chanyeol, she was dejected that her son had said something like that to her. “I’ll bear with it for now… soon enough he’ll thank me.”

 

Baekhyun’s legs like usual led him to Sehun’s house to seek comfort. Unfortunately, Sehun and his family had gone out. He was left sitting on the front porch of Sehun’s house, alone and glum. His head dipped down to his knees as tears started to form in his eyes.

 

Why… why? Even though I love Chanyeol so much… why can’t she just accept us?

 

Tears fell from his eyes and splashed onto the ground. One after the other, they fell. Baekhyun was sobbing and there was no one to comfort him. On the other hand, Chanyeol was the same. He was in front of Jongin’s house, waiting for him to come back home from wherever he was. Like Baekhyun, he had tears in his eyes, but he didn’t let them fall. He wanted to be strong. He needed to be strong enough if he wanted to overcome the barrier of his mom and gain her trust. Although Chanyeol hadn’t been in love with Baekhyun as long as he had been with him, he wanted Baekhyun to be the one, the one that he could spend the rest of his life with. He used his shirt sleeve and wiped away the tears that were forming in his eyes.

 

I’m going to be strong… for Baekhyun. 
 


“Hello, my name is Kim Minji… what is your name oppa?”

 

Baekhyun sat in the café with his mom next to him and with her co-worker and daughter seated in front. Sure the girl was pretty, but Baekhyun thought Chanyeol was much better looking. “Baekhyun…” he mumbled, answering Minji’s question.

 

“We’ll leave you two to talk now.” His mom said and left to sit at another table with her co-worker.

 

Minji stared down at her lap the whole time when they were alone. Baekhyun didn’t make any effort to start up a conversation, but he felt bad for her. “Tell me about yourself…” he said unwillingly.

 

Minji was elated that Baekhyun started to make conversation with her. “Um…I like to paint...” she said shyly. “What about you, Baekhyun-oppa?”

 

Baekhyun could see her blushing as her cheeks were pink. “I like to read.”

 

“Ah, I like to read too! What is your favourite book?” she asked.

 

Baekhyun looked out the window and sighed, “The book about basketball and plants…” he muttered after reminiscing about when he first met Chanyeol. The first time he talked to the one he loves. It was a moment he would never forget. He began to smile after he remembered about all the times he spent with Chanyeol. Minji started misunderstanding him and thought that he was enjoying their time together. She saw that Baekhyun’s hand was placed on the table and rested her hand on top of his.

 

“I hope we can have a future together…oppa.” She said cutely.

 

Baekhyun felt her hand on top of his and quickly removed it from her touch. “Sorry, what did you say?” he asked after he noticed that she was getting way to comfortable with him.

 

“Baekhyun-oppa~ I like you too.” Her eyes glittered as she said it.

 

“I think you’re misunderstanding… I don’t like you. I didn’t come here willingly…”

 

Minji started returning to her previous self. “Oh… is that so.”

 

“Sorry…” Baekhyun muttered under his breath.

 

The two of them stayed silent as they sipped their drinks and waited until it was time for them to leave. After a whole two hours, their parents were finally ready to leave.

 

“I hope you two had a really good talk with each other.” Minji’s dad said.

 

The two of them forced a smile and nodded. Baekhyun headed home with his mom shortly afterwards. They returned home and neither of them talked. Baekhyun started heading up to his room when he stopped in place. “I’m never doing that again.”

 

“You will if you want me to continue being your mom.”

 

“I don’t care anymore.” Baekhyun said and locked himself in his room.

 

His heart was beating fast. He was afraid of what his mom would say to him afterwards. If he had stayed and listened to what she might say afterwards, would he have been kicked out of the house? All the possibilities scared him.

 

Maybe I shouldn’t have said that. Of course I would care if I lost my mom. I already don’t have a dad… why would I want to lose my mom too? I just hope this makes her understand what I’m going through and how I feel…

 

 After lying on his bed for a while he felt afraid again. He didn’t want to close his eyes now because he knew once he closed them, he would have to open them to another morning.

------------- 

so i was reading my story again and then i noticed that in one chapter baek's sister says "i'll keep it a secret from dad" when baek tells her he likes someone. so all this time i had in mind that baek's mom was a single mother ;DD how bout we just all ignore that and pretend that his father isn't there~

hope you enjoyed this chapter! :3