Chapter 1

Okay, Maybe I'm Not a Girl

 

“OPPAAAA~~~ LOOK AT MEE!”

 

“OPPA~! I BAKED A CAKE FOR YOU TODAY!”

 

“OPPAAA~! YOU LOOK SO GOOD TODAY AS WELL!”

 

Chanyeol stepped through the school gates and smiled at everyone that surrounded him. “Aha…thank you very much everyone. I look forward to eating the cake.”

 

This was a normal day for Chanyeol; meeting fangirls and some fanboys in the mornings. At first Chanyeol enjoyed the attention from everyone. It wasn’t as if he did anything special to receive all of it. All he did was be born handsome, get the highest marks in his grade, be extremely kind, and exceptionally tall. It didn’t help that his best friend was also the same. Every morning the first thing he would hear is the screams of girls in his ear. Their voices were so high pitched it could probably break a glass.

 

“Ah, good morning everyone.” Said Jongin, making his way through the crowd and towards Chanyeol. Jongin was younger than Chanyeol, but they were friends ever since he was born. Their parents were friends so their families often spent time with each other, giving their children a chance to become friends. They were both friendly and their interests matched. Surprisingly, Jongin was also born tall and hovered over his classmates since he first started school. It was hard to make friends at first since he was the only one that was taller than the average height for a kid his age back then, but Chanyeol came into his life and made it easier for him to befriend others.

 

“Chanyeol, let’s run to the library.” Jongin whispered, gesturing Chanyeol towards the school doors.

 

Chanyeol nodded and they both ran for the doors. The crowd that surrounded them, ran after them like an angry mob, except instead of pitch forks and torches, they held cameras, ranging from phones to DSLRs.

 

“OPPAAA~ WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!”

 

Jongin took a look back at the crowd and almost jumped out of his body. The crowd chasing after them looked as if they were going to beat them up with their phones. They ran faster and faster until they almost lost sight of them. They headed into the library and catched their breath as they closed the door behind them. The library was empty like usual since most of the school just followed them around. It was quiet, peaceful, and relaxing. No one was inside…well that’s what they thought.

 

No way…NO WAY! PARK CHANYEOL AND KIM JONGIN ARE RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME IN THEIR NORMAL STATE! OH GOD. OH GOD.

 

“I think we’re safe now.” Said Jongin, continuing to pant.

 

“U-Um, can I help you with anything?”

 

Chanyeol and Jongin whipped their heads towards the voice’s direction and saw a boy sitting behind the counter.

 

“Erh, I’m Byun Baekhyun…in charge of checking out books today and looking after the library.”

 

The two boys looked at each other. They were frozen in their position, eyes glued to each other.

 

“Um, hi, I’m Park Chanyeol and this is my friend Kim Jongin. We were just looking for some books on…uh…basketball?”

 

Even though it didn’t look like it, Baekhyun was freaking out on the inside. Baekhyun was one of their fanboys as well, he just blended in with the others 100% of the time. Usually Jongin and Chanyeol would remember the faces of their fans but Baekhyun was so normal and plain looking that he was like the wall to them. Baekhyun never did anything extreme to them or for them anyways. He never joined the Chanyeol or Jongin fanclubs at their school either, so he was pretty much a normal student to them. Baekhyun got up and went towards the sports section of the library and pointed out the basketball section to them. “You can find all of them here. You can take out a maximum of two books and three weeks to return the book or else you will need to pay a late fee. If you have any other questions, just ask.”

 

Baekhyun headed back to his seat behind the counter and gripped his hands tightly in each other.

 

Good job Baekhyun! You gave them a cool impression of you!

 

Chanyeol and Jongin went over to where Baekhyun pointed to and started scanning the books. “How long are we going to stay here for? That guy doesn’t seem to like us being here. We should probably leave.” Whispered Jongin, leaning into Chanyeol’s ear.

 

Their eyes turned over to look at Baekhyun who was reading a book behind the counter. “I don’t think he minds.”

 

Chanyeol went back to searching for a good book to read, even though basketball just came up into his mind in the spur of the moment. They spent a few minutes standing in front of that section, scanning the books over and over again, forgetting that Baekhyun was even there now. Jongin started feeling sleepy. They had to wake up every morning knowing that their fans would be waiting at the gates for them, early. He started walking towards the empty tables in the middle of the library and sat down, resting his head onto the desk. Baekhyun glanced up every now and then and saw Jongin sleeping on the table like a baby. His sleeping face was cuter than a puppy.

 

WAAAAHHH! RARE CHANCE OF SEEING JONGIN’S SLEEPING FACE!

 

Baekhyun took out his phone from his pocket and faced it’s camera towards Jongin. He zoomed in close enough to see every feature of his sleeping face and snapped a photo. A loud noise filled the library, capturing the two other boy’s attention. Jongin’s eyes grew wide and so did Chanyeol’s.

 

“Did you just take a picture?”

 

Lucky enough for Baekhyun, they didn’t see his phone being pointed towards their direction. “Yeah, I use these pictures as bookmarks…………….”

 

Baekhyun kept their eyes on them, trying hard to make it seem like he was telling the truth. The two boys nodded their heads and went back to what they were doing.

 

Wow, am I stupid or what?

 

He quickly turned off the sound from his phone and went back to pretending to be reading. Chanyeol was just a few metres away from him, how could anyone focus on anything else other than him? Chanyeol was perfect in Baekhyun’s eyes. He had perfect eyes, perfectly coloured hair, perfect skin, perfect everything. Chanyeol finally decided on a book and went over to the counter where Baekhyun was. “I want to check out this book. I read a few pages, seems really good. Have you read it before?”

 

Baekhyun took one look at the book and shook his head, “I’m not really into books about sports.”

 

“Ah, really? What kind of books do you like then?” Chanyeol asked, leaning in closer to Baekhyun.

 

Now Chanyeol was only a few centimetres away from him. Baekhyun’s heart started racing and he could feel his face slowly turning red. “U-Uhhh…biographies…”

 

After hearing his answer, Chanyeol moved back, giving him more space and smiled, “Biographies are good too. Have you read the one about xxx?”

 

It didn’t seem like Chanyeol would stop his questions any time soon since it was still way too early in the morning for the bell to ring. Any longer with him and Baekhyun would faint. He felt light headed knowing the most popular and perfect student in the school was in front of him.

 

“U-Uhh…no…I haven’t yet.” He said, checking out the book. He handed it back to Chanyeol, avoiding his eyes.

 

Chanyeol took the book and patted Baekhyun’s head before making his way out the door with Jongin following after him. That day, Baekhyun couldn’t get his mind off anything else, other than what happened.