Chapter 15

Okay, Maybe I'm Not a Girl

His mom sat in front of him at the kitchen table with her glass of water wrapped tightly around her fingers. Baekhyun was serious about something and she didn’t know what. She had never seen Baekhyun look so determined in her life. Ever since he was born, he had always just followed what “mom” said and never disobeyed. “What is it, son?” she asked softly.

 

Baekhyun placed his hands into his lap and held them tightly together. “I’m dating someone…” he said, staring at the table.

 

His mom took a sip from her water and placed the glass back onto the table. “That’s great; she must be a lucky girl.”

 

“No, mom…I’m dating someone, but…they’re not a girl.”

 

There was silence. His mom didn’t say anything and just sat there in silence.

 

“Mom…?” Baekhyun muttered, finally facing his mom.

 

“Break up with him. I’m not accepting this. You’re just confused right now. You’re not homoual, Baekhyun. You’re just lonely. If you want a girlfriend I’d be more than happy to ask one of my co-worker’s daughters—”

 

“Mom! I’ve realized this a long time ago already! I’m gay! I’ve been gay for a while! I love Chanyeol and he loves me too! Why can’t you just accept us?!”

 

Baekhyun shouted loud enough for his sister to hear. She came running down the stairs once she heard that their mom didn’t accept Baekhyun’s relationship with Chanyeol and tried to back him up. “Mom, Baekhyun’s finally found someone he loves. Shouldn’t you be happy for him?”

 

“Happy? Why would I be happy when my son is just picking up anybody that takes him when he’s just lonely. He doesn’t know what love is. Don’t worry, your mom will find a nice girl for you.” She said as she finished her glass of water. “I’ll start cooking dinner now.” She got up to wash her cup when Baekhyun’s sister grabbed her arm and forced her to look at her.

 

“Mom! You’re being unreasonable right now! Baekhyun isn’t lonely! He truly loves Chanyeol! Chanyeol isn’t just anyone he found off the street!” His sister was about to pour out tears. She was unhappy that her mom was being ignorant.

 

Baekhyun got up and stood by his sister’s side. “Mom, I really do love Chanyeol.”

 

His mom slapped them both and threw her glass into the sink. “If I have to make you go through an arranged marriage I will. Break up with him now before he gets too clingy. Enough of this discussion now, I have to cook dinner.”

 

His sister ran upstairs to her room in tears leaving Baekhyun standing in the kitchen alone. He didn’t know what to do now or what to say. What could make his mom change her mind? Without a word, he left the house and ran as far as he could. He didn’t bring anything with him; not his phone or wallet. He had nothing and he had no idea where to go right now.

 

How can she say that? How can she say that about Chanyeol. I-I don’t know what to do anymore. I don’t want to separate from Chanyeol when we just got together…

 

He continued walking and walking, following wherever his legs led him and soon he arrived in front of Sehun’s house. He walked up to the front step and rang the doorbell. Sehun opened the door and saw Baekhyun standing at his doorstep with watery eyes. Without a second thought, he pulled Baekhyun into his house and closed the door behind him.

 

“Let’s head up to my room.” Sehun said, dragging the lifeless Baekhyun up the stairs with him. He brought him into his room and let Baekhyun sit on the corner of his bed. He sat on the computer chair in front of him and sighed. “I’m guessing it didn’t go well.”

 

Baekhyun slowly nodded and stayed silent.

 

“Don’t let your mom get in your way, okay? Life is only a path full of efforts. If you don’t put some effort in, you’ll never get your mom’s approval. Don’t give up. Don’t let your mom decide which path you’re going to take. If anything bad happens…my room is big enough for the two of us.”

 

“T-Thanks, Sehun…You’re right, I should make my mom realize that Chanyeol and I really do love each other. But I’m just scared of what will happen…Will it work?”

 

“Don’t care whether it will work or not and just do it. You won’t know if you don’t try so don’t try to think of the outcomes already. Do you want me to talk to your mom as well? Maybe I’ll change her somehow.”

 

“No, I don’t want to get you involved in all this mess when you don’t need to be. I’ll figure this out on my own—”

 

“Baekhyun, I’m your friend for a reason. Don’t try to go through hard times on your own and rely on me. If you say it’s not my business, I’ll make it my business. You helped me when I needed it back then…so now let me help you.” Sehun wanted to make Baekhyun happy again. He disliked seeing Baekhyun in this state. He looked so depressed and lifeless. It wasn’t a scene he wanted to witness at all.

 

Baekhyun couldn’t help but cry after hearing what Sehun said. “Ah, how unmanly, crying. But really, thank you Sehun. You’re the best.” He cheered up a little after that. They spent the rest of the night playing games to get their minds off of what was happening right now. 


“Where’s Baekhyun?” Baekhyun’s mom asked to his sister.

 

“I don’t know. He didn’t bring his phone with him…” she replied.

 

“Do you know where he could be?”

 

“Mom, just leave him alone right now okay? He doesn’t want to hear you nagging at him—”

His mom slapped his sister again. “Shut up. You don’t know anything.” She said and left his sister’s room.

 

Her sister placed her hand on top of the part that her mom slapped and started tearing up.

 

Mom…what happened to you?

 


“Are you staying over?” Sehun asked Baekhyun after they finished their game.

 

Baekhyun nodded. “I don’t think it’s good to go back home now.”

 

Sehun went into his closet and took out a set of pyjamas for him and handed it to him. “You can take a shower first.” Baekhyun listened to Sehun and went to take a shower in his bathroom. Once Sehun could hear the water running, he called Baekhyun’s sister to check up on how everything was going at their house. “Hello? This is Baekhyun’s friend, Sehun. Are you Baekhyun’s sister?” He could hear sounds of someone sniffling through the phone. “A-Are you o-okay?” He asked, stuttering.

 

Baekhyun’s sister sniffled once more, “Y-Yeah, is Baekhyun at your house right now?”

 

“Yes he is…he’s going to stay over today.” Sehun answered.

 

“Thank you for taking care of my brother. My mom’s still angry and—” She started crying over the phone. “S-S-Sorry…” she said as she tried to force her words out.

 

“I’m guessing things aren’t going well. If you need someone to talk to…you can always call me. My phone is on 24/7.”

 

Soon he could hear a soft chuckle over the phone, “Thank you, Sehun. I’ll be sure to call when I need you. Please take care of Baekhyun for me.” She said and hung up.

 

Sehun tossed his phone aside and waited for Baekhyun to come out of the bathroom. Once he did, Sehun went into the bathroom to shower.

 

Baekhyun jumped onto Sehun’s bed and got himself comfortable. He took his borrowed towel and dried his hair with it.

 

Maybe I should call my sister to tell her where I am…

 

Without asking, he took Sehun’s phone. He unlocked it and saw a familiar picture on the background of Sehun’s phone. It was a picture of him and Sehun, taking a picture on the first day of high school.

 

This kid…he’s always there for me. Thank you.

 

He placed the phone back into its place and forgot all about what happened between him and his mom that night. 

-----------------------
 

-silently shipping Sehun and Baekhyun- 

Sehun is killing me TT,TT why did I make him like this?! He's perfect ;.;

so I decided not to make Sehun and Jongin end up together in the end and rather just have Jongin on the side liking him because I don't ship them and it would be hard for me to write ;D I'd rather just put more friendship stuff between Sehun and Baekhyun if that's okay with you guys~

anyways, hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing this~ ;D