Chapter 8

Okay, Maybe I'm Not a Girl

“B-Baek…h-hyun?” Chanyeol stuttered. His eyebrows furrowed and his lips pressed together.

 

“Ah, Baekhyun, are you with your friend right now? Where’s your girlfriend?” his sister asked, not noticing what was happening right now.

 

Baekhyun’s words were stuck in his throat. His head dipped down. He was afraid to look at what Chanyeol’s reaction was. His heart was beating rapidly as each second passed by. Just when he was about to tell Chanyeol the truth, his sister just had to come and ruin everything. Chanyeol found out in the worst way possible.

 

“Earth to Baekhyun, earth to Baekhyun! Are you there?!” his sister said, stepping closer to him and knocking on his head.

 

Still, Baekhyun didn’t move at all. Embarrassing. Baekhyun had never felt so embarrassed in his life and it had to be in front of the person he liked as well. He forced his head up slowly and took a peek at Chanyeol’s facial expression. It wasn’t a pleasant scene at all. Chanyeol looked confused and angry. The kind Chanyeol everyone loved was gone.

 

“Geez, fine! Don’t talk to your sister! Whatever, I’m going home. I’ll leave you to be ‘cool’ with your friend.” His sister shouted, before leaving the two alone.

 

Baekhyun felt scared now that he was alone with Chanyeol. What was he going to do? Shout at him? Beat him up for lying to him? Whatever he wanted to do, Baekhyun would let him because he deserved it all.

 

“W-Why?” Chanyeol managed to spit out this one word.

 

Baekhyun jumped a little from hearing Chanyeol’s voice. “B-Because…I-I r-r-really like y-you…” His throat was dry and his head was spinning from the nervousness.

 

“I’m straight…and y-you…!” Chanyeol wanted to shout at Baekhyun. He felt so betrayed. He truly loved ‘Baekkie’.

 

“Okay, maybe I’m not a girl…but I was still the same person! Baekkie and I are the same! We are the same person! …just different appearances…” Baekhyun wanted to cry. All these emotions were flowing through him. Chanyeol was angry at him for lying. He just had to bring up that he was straight too.

 

“Baekhyun…it’s not the same. Baekkie was supposed to be a girl. You’re a guy for god’s sake! You two will never be the same! I will never love Baekhyun like I loved Baekkie. Baekkie was a girl, that’s why I fell for her! I didn’t fall for you, even if you were the same person. I fell for a girl…not you, Baekhyun.” Chanyeol’s voice raised as each word came out of his mouth. He didn’t care for the stares around him. He didn’t care how much this hurt Baekhyun. He was the one who should be hurt right now. A straight male was fooled by someone who wasn’t.

 

Tears started pouring out from Baekhyun’s eyes. He couldn’t hold back the tears. What Chanyeol said was right. Even if they seemed the same, they weren’t. Baekhyun could never be Baekkie and Baekkie could never be Baekhyun. Chanyeol would never love him. He wiped away his tears with his arm, not caring if his makeup would be smudged. “I know, okay?! I know! I knew this all along! I knew we would never have a happy ending! I knew you would find out someday! But even so, I hoped all this time that maybe you would still love me even if you found out the truth! I-I…” Baekhyun fell to his knees painfully, bruising them. Tears fell like a waterfall.

 

Though Chanyeol was angry, he couldn’t stand to see the sight of Baekhyun breaking down because of him. He hesitated to help him up, but he knew he had to do it. Hesitantly, Chanyeol placed his arms around Baekhyun’s waist and pulled him up into his arms. Baekhyun cried into Chanyeol’s shirt, leaving stains of eyeliner all over. At this moment, nothing mattered to Chanyeol right now. It was the first time in a while that he had hurt someone and made them cry this much. His arms tightened around Baekhyun’s frail body. Time felt like it stopped at that moment. Chanyeol’s mind was focused on comforting Baekhyun and Baekhyun’s mind was focused on crying everything out.  

 

Baekhyun’s cry softened a little. Chanyeol could hear him sniffling into his shirt. “You said that you’ll love me no matter what…you gave me false hope…”

 

A sudden flashback came into Chanyeol’s mind. He did say that. He said that right when he noticed that Baekhyun was flat-chested and had an Adam’s apple. Did he mean any of that when he said it? He himself didn’t know either. Everything was too confusing to him. “I don’t know…I don’t know anymore…”

 

Baekhyun pushed Chanyeol away from him. Baekhyun had black eyeliner smudged all over his face. “I know, you don’t need to tell me and I’ll know. You like girls and don’t like me, a guy. I understand. I knew this from the beginning anyways. I-I-I guess this is the e-end…I promise I’ll avoid you as much as I can from now on. If you still want to use the library as a hideout, then I’ll stop helping out there. I’ll do as much as I can so you won’t have to see me ever again…….goodbye.” Baekhyun tried to look strong, but Chanyeol saw through it all. Baekhyun forced out a smile as he said all that. Even after all that, it was impossible for him to bring out a real smile.

 

“Wait, Baekhyun.” Chanyeol said, reaching his arm out to grab Baekhyun’s as he walked away.

 

Baekhyun pulled his arm away from his grasp and stopped walking. “Stop, I don’t need your pity right now.”

 

Chanyeol’s arm dropped to his side. His heart ached as he watched Baekhyun stepping farther and farther away from him. Was this the ending he wanted? Did he want Baekhyun to just step out of his life like that so easily? What did he want? He clenched his fist above his heart.

 

It hurts... Even though I don’t have any feelings for him…it hurts so bad. I never wanted him out of my life. I want him to be by my side…what is wrong with me?

 

As he thought to himself, his legs started moving on their own. Soon he was running, chasing after the one who stepped out of his life. 

------------

hope this one sounded better and was less dramatic ;D