Ad-Lib Romeo & Juliet

AKB48 ONE-SHOT Anthology

 

“So this year for the school festival, our class will be performing Romeo and Juliet.”

A tall frail looking pale girl with long black hair announced the play that our class, class SK-3 would be performing this year. Matsui Rena, that was the name of the girl. Rena is one of my close friends. The reason that we became friends would be Matsui Jurina, the puppy-mouthed prodigy that skipped about 3 years. Well, that’s a completely different story.

“Now we have to cast the roles.”

I listened silently as Rena went over the roles. Everyone in the class was basically aware of the play and they were all barely paying attention, only just waiting for the roles of Romeo and Juliet to be called. The only person not paying attention would be the girl with pretty eyes and somewhat long dark hair. She always had headphones on and her uniform wasn’t exactly modified, but she wore a purple, baggy jacket over it. Somehow, I never did ask for her name.

“Who would be the best Juliet?”

Jurina raised her hand.

“Kanon-chan!”

I was shocked. Rena-chan isn’t surprised at all. She’s even smiling. I would’ve thought that the WMatsui couple would make the best Romeo and Juliet. Shockingly, everyone in the class agreed. Well, that is except for that girl with the headphones.

“How about Romeo?”

At that moment everyone was silent. I don’t understand why I would be Juliet, but no one would decide on a Romeo. They’re so mean.

“Then we have to draw lots.”

Jurina has her cat smile on. I wonder if she’s planning something. Rena-chan took out a white box and took out a piece of paper. It surprised me to see that the box was already prepared; it looks like they expected this to happen.

“Yagami Kumi-san.”

Everyone turned to look at the back of the room. Their eyes were locked onto the girl that was currently not paying attention, she’s actually reading manga. So her name was Kumi. She looked up and our eyes met. I quickly turned away, slightly blushing.

Jurina once again smiles suggestively. They’re so mean, not telling me what’s going on here. Rena-chan smiles at the class and they all seem to understand. Churi, Airin, and Mizuki were all smiling back.

“So, it seems that Yagami-san will have to be Romeo.”

Everyone nodded in agreement. I’m sure they are planning something. Even though most of us are friends, minus Yagami-san, we still don’t exactly tend to agree on things like this so nicely. Of course, I get the idea I would be completely ignored in the case I say something, so I stayed silent. Rena-chan finished the rest of the procedures and the casting and the bell rang.

“The first practice will be afterschool today!” Rena-chan shouted out to the girls who were rushing out of the room to head to the cafeteria which was like a war-ground.

Somehow, time flies when you’re confused and unable to process information.

“Rena-chan, where’s the script?”

It was already time for the so called first practice. None of us had gotten a script, but everyone minus Yagami-san were going along and doing their jobs. Yagami-san was just sitting at the edge of the stage, staring off into space with her headphones on. She looked so cute and childish.

“Hmm? Didn’t Jurina-chan tell you that we would be improvising as we went along, so there really isn’t a script?”

“No…. Actually….this is the first time that type of thing was mentioned….”

I knew it, they were planning something.

“….Eh?... Well, basically everyone knows the story already, so we wanted something unique…. And then this happened.”

“So, isn’t the practice useless?”

Rena-chan was in deep thought for a while and she had a very serious face. This topic is just strange though.

“Yeah. Basically, this is useless, but the costumes people and the prop people need to do things.” She said very bluntly.

“Rena-chan!”

“Hai!”

The puppy, Jurina called out to her. Rena-chan waved to me and went over to where Jurina was. I have nothing to do. This is an all girls’ school, but I feel like we’re so disorganized that we could be a yankee boys’ school.

I sigh. If there is no script, I can’t do anything can I?

Someone taps on my shoulder. It’s Yagami-san.

“Ah… Yagami-san….”

She frowns at my response.

“…..Call me Kumi…….. and……..it’s better not to sigh, happiness will escape…..”

“….Aye……Kumi-san.”

Kumi lightly smiles and then she walks away. I didn’t notice before, but I’m probably blushing right now. I guess I kind of understand why they decided to choose Kumi as Romeo. She’s actually kind of like a prince, but what am I saying now?

Like before, time flies when you’re in confusion. It’s already the day of the festival. Nearly everyone is excited, but Kumi has a bored look on her face. I’m somewhat worried right now. In the end, Rena-chan was telling the truth, there was no script. This school is unbelievable sometimes. The play isn’t even Romeo and Juliet anymore. All the names have been changed to our real names.

“Class SK-3 will now be performing, [An Ad-libbed Version of Romeo & Juliet]”

There’s the announcement for us to go onto stage. To tell the truth, I don’t really have to be there yet. I watch as Kumi messes around and goes to the party. Jurina is Kumi’s brother in this story. It’s funny since I think that compared to the somewhat silent girl, the puppy would be more suited to be the idiot that decides to go to a party that he/she isn’t supposed to go to.

Then, I enter the story. It’s a masquerade party, so I can’t see Kumi’s face. Then, it seems that we fall in love. Well, it’s play only. I don’t have that much interest in romance as of now.

Surprisingly, the play is actually moving along pretty nicely. I would be really happy if this turns into a success.

But then, “This is WAR!!”

I guess Jurina got bored. Rena-chan is on the Kimoto family side. Note, they changed the story quite a lot. And Jurina is on the Yagami side.

Kumi and I are standing on the sidelines as all of the actors start a messed up fight. We didn’t even get to do that well known scene where Romeo calls out to Juliet who is in a tower. Or what was it again? Something like, Romeo, Romeo, art thou Romeo? I don’t know if that’s right, but it doesn’t actually matter right now.

“Kanon-chan! Watch out!”

Someone ended up losing their grip on their sword, so it flew over to me. The wooden sword nearly hit me on the head, but even though it wasn’t needed for her to do so, Kumi jumped in the way and pushed me out of the way. I’m so glad that this outfit is something that you can run around in.

“Itai…….” Kumi rubs the place that she got hit.

“….Ah…. thank you…… Kumi-san……”

Kumi looks really cool. She’s such a good person too. All of the nonsense that Jurina started stops for a moment. I feel bad for the audience watching this show.

It has become so silent that it would literally be possible to hear a pin drop. I see Churi at the side with a cue card. [Say something someone!!! Anything random!]

No one has anything to say though. This is why they weren’t supposed to make this an ad-libbed play to begin with. Even though this may have been their plan, it’s not really working out that well.

Kumi taps my shoulder with a somewhat embarrassed face. “…..To tell the truth…. I really like you…….”

That was the first time that she said anything like that in the whole play so far. It confused me if she was telling the truth or not, but I guess I do kind of like her. I guess my first love will end up being a girl. How strange.

Everyone is looking at us. Did they not plan for anything like a confession scene? I’m mentally face-palming myself millions of times.

“I love you too.”

Then Jurina smiles suggestively. “You two have shown us your love, so our families should now stop fighting.”

Rena-chan nods in agreement and they hug each other. The curtain goes down and the sound of clapping could be heard. I kiss Kumi’s forehead and she starts blushing. I hug her and she smiles lightly.

“…..You’re cutest when you smile you know, Kumi-chan…”

“…..Non-chan is cuter……”

“Non-chan?”

“….Do you not like the nickname?”

“…I like it…..”

We hear Jurina, Churi, and some of the other girls talking among themselves.

“Mission: Kuminon – Romeo and Juliet, ACCOMPLISHED!”

They look our way and realize how annoyed we are. Both of us take a wooden sword left on the stage and start chasing the group. Everyone seems shocked at how much Kumi has changed, from a silent girl that doesn’t care, to a somewhat more open and cheerful person. We both smile and chase the group around.

(suki desu) I like you~”