My Friend

AKB48 ONE-SHOT Anthology

“Happy Halloween!!” This is Kizaki Yuria, yelling out to the dorm. Yups, Sakae48 has a dorm as well. And for now, Kuuchan aka Kumi and I are residents. Halloween, October 31st is a day off from school, so as everyone woke up, I reminded them of the holiday.

There was a silence in return. Then, everyone burst out into laughter. I don’t get it. Currently, it’s just me, everyone else, and the dining room. I look behind me and see Kuuchan dressed in a penguin pajama. She’s really cute; unintentionally my face turns slightly pink.

“Mrm… Happy Halloween… Yuria…” She mumbled, still half asleep. Due to the fact that Kuuchan was aware of the holiday, this happened. Even though oversleeping happens a lot with my beloved baka, who I will not admit is smarter than me.

Akarin, a new friend of ours from another class who we met here at the dorm, gave a stifled giggle. I think Halloween is something for her. Well, it’s something for everyone, so let’s not overthink it and enjoy this day off.

“Ooh~ Let’s have a Halloween party at night… A costume party??”

“Tonight at when…?”

Due to the fact that the dorm is really quite friendly even if there are a number of strange people, shy people, and unsociable people, we’re able to celebrate interesting things. Kuuchan nodded, and started to fall asleep again.

I wonder how many people would come. Actually since there’ve been a lot of not-pre-decided celebrations and parties from everyone, it’s become a normal thing. Everyone is too festive after all~

Another friend of ours, Yukko, smiled brightly as she asked. “So… What would Yuria be?”

“I dunno.”

“…Something cute…”

“Kuuchan, how ‘bout you?”

Kuuchan moaned, still sleepy. “Dunnnnnooo….”

“Hehe... Well, why don’t we search for something in the storage compartment?” Akarin giggled.

We have a storage compartment with that type of thing? It seems so. Well, the dorm mother is Mariko-sama after all, a trollish person from Tokyo. So with that, enough is said. The group of me, Kuuchan, Akarin, and Yukko headed to the storage compartment.

Well, Mariko-sama is nice and she leaves it unlo-

“KYAAA!!!” There’s a SKELETON!! WHAT THE!!!????? Eh!!?? DEAD PERSON??? I fell down.

“Yuriaaaa…. It’s just a mannequin.” Kuuchan moaned.

Akarin giggled a bit and Yukko went ahead and searched through a bunch of boxes. Out came a freshly baked chicken that would’ve made Churi-san faint. Then was a plastic Barbie leg and a pie, then a penguin. There was a throne, a trophy, a swimsuit that Airin would’ve been weird over, and a plastic bag. After a long time searching, Yukko finally found something like a costume.

“Wait… What the **** is this supposed to be!?” She crudely yelled, fuming due to the waste of time.

“…Haha…” I couldn’t help but laugh deadly seeing what she found, a dog’s pumpkin outfit.

Suddenly a gust of cold air leaked in. I shuddered and turned around to see a girl with a very small presence. I tried not to scream and luckily didn’t. The always smiling Akarin smiled towards the girl and tilted her head as if asking a question.

The girl whispered quietly, her bangs slightly covering her eyes. “Um… Costumes are in the box over there…”

“Oh. Thanks!” I beamed.

“Un…” She murmured.

We quickly found the box and Yukko suggested, “Hey, this place is kind of stuffy, let’s go to my room and sort this box out.” We all agreed, though the quiet girl didn’t say anything. Looking closely, I saw a nametag that read ‘Hata Sawako’. Hrm… Sawako-chan, she’s a nice person.

Ok~ Halloween party. I energetically marched out of the storage compartment. Seeing that Akarin was lagging behind I turned around. There she was, Sawako-chan whispered something to her. I could only faintly hear it, “Happy Birthday… Akari.”

But then… She faded into thin air… A GHOST? Is Sawako-chan a ghost or something like that? If so… Well, actually, there’s no problem at all. Haha. I’m not the type to care whether or not a nice person is a ghost or not. But I guess it’s Akarin’s birthday today, I must congratulate her.

“If you’re curious, Sawako is my friend, my guardian angel…” With a smile like always, Akarin whispered before quickly catching up to the others. “Come on! Yuria!”

“A-ah… Hai!” and, “Happy Birthday I guess…”