2013 Matsui Rena B-Day Special

AKB48 ONE-SHOT Anthology

 

Rena 2013 B-Day Special: Rena to Furukawa

 

“…”

Ah… Eh! Wait... Ok, Furukawa Airi here! Well, now I’m just basically talking to myself aren’t I? Never mind, I might just be the type to do that. I’m a second year in Sakae 48 High school; I’m pretty much a completely average person minus my weird quirks and love for 2-D.

Recently, someone transferred into my class. Truthfully, I’m the type that’s a bit shy, so I guess I don’t have that many friends. My closest friend, Takayanagi Akane, a girl who loves birds, is the class president. The girl that transferred into our class is taller than me by a bit and is really pretty; her name is Matsui Rena, reminding me of a junior of ours who is still in the Junior High division of the school.

Akane loves birds, so I call her Churi. It’s really fun to be with her, but since it’s close to the cultural festival time, we haven’t been able to hang out. The class president has to do all that organization and paper work. Last year, she overworked herself, but this year, I told her not to do so and the vice, Mukaida Manatsu is still there just in case.

Enough with the introductions already, since I know who I am, there’s really no point in doing some kind of mini-intro narrative in my head.

“…Ah… Furukawa-san… you dropped your pencil…”

As I as in the middle of thinking, I seemed to have dropped my pencil. Noticing that, Rena-san picked it up for me. This is the first time that she’s talked to me. Furukawa! Don’t go and act awkward here!

“Tha-nks… Um… You can…call me Airi… Nice to me-et you…Rena-san…” I’m stuttering.

“Nice to meet you too, Fu-Airi.” Her smile is so bright.

“Un…” Somehow, my face is turning red.

“Um… Airi, do you have a fever?”

She asks so innocently and touches her forehead to mine. I never thought that would ever happen outside of 2-D, I blush even harder. I feel like a ert somehow.

“Ah… I’m ok!.... It’s ju-st a bit hot in here….” I stutter a bit more as I try to move away slightly, it’s really awkward for me.

“Hrm… Ok. I’ll see you tomorrow~ Airi~”

Tomorrow? Wait, right, we are in the same class and the last class actually already ended. I guess I was going to start drawing, but ended up zoning out, leading to dropping the pencil.

The next day, we obviously saw each other. She talked to me for a bit and introduced me to her new friends Yuria and Kumi. It turns out that she decided to join the archery club. When I got time to talk to Churi, it turned out that Rena-san and Churi had talked to each other before.

Most days after that, Rena-san and I would have a chat in which I would stutter a bit and act shy. Once in a while, Churi would also be able to join in the fun along with Kumi and Yuria. Every now and then, I would feel a dark aura coming from Rena-san when the others made weird comments. Also, it turned out that Rena-san also liked 2-D things, but in the end, I’m too shy.

The cultural festival, as it got closer, Rena-san seemed to be more and more detached. It made me sad looking at a sad Rena-san.

“Rena-san…” When I went to approach her, she just looked at me a bit depressed. “Sorry Airi, I can’t talk now.” Rena-san seems like she has too much too do. It makes me really quite worried.

“Churi! Rena-san! She’s depressed!”

“I’m not sure exactly why, but there’s a lot of stuff that’s been going on in her life and it doesn’t really help that it’s her birthday on the day that the cultural festival starts.”

Lots of stuff, I don’t know what that stuff might be, but if her birthday is in a few days, I think I could be able to do something. I end up getting all pumped up randomly which causes Churi to smack me on the back of my head.

“Airin, seriously, if you’re planning for a party, get people to help you!”

“Hai! Captain Churi!”

Thus, I ended up doing so. Calling Kumi, Yuria, Manatsu, and of course Churi, we started to get ready for the party. It went by so quickly, finally it was the day of cultural festival.

Just as a note, our class decided to go for the normal maid café. Sadly, Rena-san decided to stay in the kitchen. I was too awkward to wear a maid costume in front of Rena-san, so I drew a bunch of Chibi Airin pictures as décor and did a danso thing.

Even though we had a few breaks, since it seemed that Rena-san wasn’t going to take one today, I decided not to either. This was going to go on until the end of the day when the first day event of a live performance of something would take place. Anyone that wanted to perform could perform and the deadline for applications is until the end of the show.

“Rena-san… If possible, do you want to stay to see the performance?” I ask her without stumbling much.

She nods me head and mumbles to herself, “…Well…They wouldn’t be home anyways…” Parents? I guess that does happen.

Once our jobs are done, despite being more of a passive type of person, I drag Rena-san along to the stage that was set up. It’s quite impressive and Rena-san smiles. Somehow, that just warms my heart.

First up, is what I had planned. Churi first steps onto the stage, then Yuria and Kumi who are the bass and guitar players. They’re all wearing a cool leather costume. Manatsu comes out and it turns out that she’s the drummer, though I already knew that, Rena-san has a confused look on her face, this was a surprise after all.

Instantly, I drag her up to the stage and get into place as the keyboardist. Rena-san just stands next to me, confused. Ah, I feel embarrassed doing such a strange plan. Why did I even position it so Rena-san would be standing next to me?

“Ok! First, we’ll be performing, Katamoi Finally band ver.!” Churi is the main vocalist.

It goes well and well as we go on into the song, when we reach a certain point, Manatsu, Yuria, and I change the lyrics a bit.

“Suki nanda, Churi/Kumi/Rena ga suki nanda~” Respectively, each of us sings a different name, the name of the one who we like.

Rena-san is still a bit surprised and I blush when I said that. Kumi almost starts to fangirl over Yuria, but as we’re in the middle of a performance, she doesn’t. Churi blushes a bit, but she acts a bit tsundere. Manatsu is pretty unlucky I guess.

After a few songs, such as Aitakatta, Ai no Kazu, and others, we finally finished our performance. I guess we were allowed to go this long because no one else really wanted to go on stage. This Furukawa will die of embarrassment after she gets off the stage though.

“You guys, what was this for?” Rena-san interrogates everyone.

“…Um…Rena-san… you looked down and Churi told me that it was your birthday soon, so…” I mumble as I’m still blushing.

“…Hmm… Airi, what was that…” She blushes as well as she brings up when I said that I liked her.

My face turns ultra red as does she. Churi and the others sheepishly smile, a bit pink. KumiYuri is sticking to each other like super glue and I feel like they aren’t helping me at all. Ah, this is so awkward!

“Rena-san Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!” Not knowing what to do, I yell out.

Everyone smiles and laughs at my weirdness and congratulates Rena-san as well. She gives me a smile, a really bright smile that makes me really happy for some reason. Oh, right I confessed my love. She whispers into my ear, “My parent’s went out on a trip, so they couldn’t be home to celebrate my birthday… That’s why I was a bit sad… Airi, I love you too.” And then she kisses me on the cheek.

Gah! Rena-san kissed me on the cheek! Wha! I’m not prepared for this! It’s not even my birthday! It’s Rena-san’s birthday! Why did I get the gift! Furukawa shall now black out due to nosebleeding too much.