Chapter 9: Are You Ready?

Girls Over Flowers: The Return

Chapter 9: Are You Ready?

Hyorin and Alex had sat at the restaurant for over two hours. Hyorin couldn’t remember the last time she had had so much fun. Alex was so great to be with; listening to everything she had to say, and was funny to boot. Alex walked her out to her car.

“It was nice getting to know you all over again,” said Alex, holding her hand. She smiled.

“Yeah, it was pretty great. How long are you going to be in Korea?” she asked.

“I’ll be in Korea for a while. I haven’t decided for how long right now, I’m just playing by ear.” Hyorin smiled.

“That’s nice to hear.” She unlocked her door and turned back to Alex. “I hope to see you again soon.” She said. Alex grabbed her arm and turned her around.

“Tomorrow then,” said Alex. Hyorin smiled. “We can meet in the park. Near the lake.” She nodded.

“That sounds wonderful. I’ll be there.” Alex leans in and gently kissed her. Hyorin blushed bright scarlet. She felt nervous. Did anyone see her? She hoped not.

“Tomorrow then,” Alex turned and walked away, leaving Hyorin in the clouds.

*****

Taeyeon stepped out of the car and took Jaejoong’s arm. They headed into the restaurant and sat at a table near a window that sat just across from a rose laden gazebo. They waited for some time before Jaejoong stood up as five people approached them. Taeyeon bit her lip.

Four men and a young woman approached them. The first man had short blonde hair and piercing eyes. He had full lips and an innocent face. The next man had dark eyes and sharp features. His hair was quite short, almost a buzz cut.

The last two men had short hair. One had a sort of bowl cut while the other had short, shaggy hair. Almost reminiscent of Heejun when he had been in middle school.

The woman was beautifully dressed, her hair in a low ponytail slung over her shoulder. She wore a cream silk dress with a black belt above her waist with black pumps. Hee Sun. Taeyeon bit her lip. Of course, Jaejoong knew that they knew each other. But it was still awkward. After all, Taeyeon was engaged to her former fiancée, and from what she had heard, she was marrying his younger brother. Double awkward.

“Hey, how have you been?” he turned to Taeyeon, putting his arm around her shoulders. “This is my fiancée, Kim Taeyeon. Taeyeon, this is my younger brother, Junsu and his fiancée, Kwon Hee Sun;” he said, as they both bowed politely. He turned to the others. “These are my cousins, Yoochun,” The dark eyed man bowed. “Changmin,” the Heejun-look-alike bowed. “And Yunho.”  He too bowed.

“It’s nice to be acquainted with you all.” She said politely. They all sat down and ordered dinner.

Throughout the whole dinner, Taeyeon felt rather awkward. Hee Sun didn’t look at her once. In fact, she didn’t talk other than to order her food. She wondered why she wasn’t talking to her. But then again, her brother did break up with her, and she was engaged to her ex-fiancée.

Afterwards she turned to Jaejoong. “Tonight was lovely.” She said. He nodded.

“Yes, Hee Sun was quiet though.” She nodded.

“I’m sure she was just nervous.” Jaejoong shrugged.

“Perhaps.” He said, leading her back to the car. He wasn’t so sure of that.

*****

Hee Sun’s limousine pulled up to the front of the school the next morning. She stepped out of the car, pushing her luscious curls behind her shoulder. With her head high, she walked into school. She confidently walked up the stairs to F4’s usual hang out, an abandoned math classroom.

Chaerin was sitting in her usual spot on the window ledge, looking out. Ga In and Yuna were in the corner, discussing recent purchases and which concert or exhibit to go to next. She took her place at the teacher’s desk, propping her feet up and leaning back. She sighed.

“Hey, Yuna.” Yuna looked up, and walked over to her.

“What’s up, Hee Sun?” she asked, sitting on the edge of the desk.

“How are things with Sung Kyu?” she asked. Yuna shrugged. She hadn’t seen much of him since they got back from Japan; he hadn’t made any attempts to contact her either. This was fine with her, but usually their parents requested that they go out at least once a week. It had almost been a month by now.

“Fine, I guess. We haven’t talked much since we got back from Japan.” She said, twirling her braid in her fingers. Hee Sun nodded. She turned to Ga In.

“What about you? You’re not engaged to anyone yet, are you Ga In?” she asked. Ga In shook her head. “Chaerin?” Chaerin shook her head. Hee Sun sighed. Well, at least she had Yuna to talk to about this.

“Hee Sun,” Chaerin said. Hee Sun got up and walked over to her.

“Yeah, Chaerin?” she asked. Her friend seemed so solemn. It was rare for Chaerin. Usually she was outgoing and sarcastic.

“Do you ever wonder if this is a good thing for you?” she asked, looking over at her. “The marriage I mean?” Ga In and Yuna shot looks at each other. This couldn’t be good.

“What do you mean, Chaerin?” Hee Sun asked in awe. Chaerin turned to her.

“Exactly what I meant in the beginning of this mess,” she said stiffly. “Why not marry him? Get to know him at least, for Christ’s sake, Hee Sun; he might actually be the love of your life if you’d listen to people.” Hee Sun scoffed.

“Excuse me?” she said. Chaerin glared at her.

“You know exactly what I mean, why not give him a chance? You ruined your relationship with Heejun. Do you think he’s stupid enough to fall for anyone’s trap?” she asked. “That he’s just some dumb guy off the streets? Yeah, he’d do anything for Yoon Jae and Ji Yeon, especially when they can’t protect themselves. Giving them that Red Card made me sick.” She stood up.

“I won’t do any more to harm them. I am going to protect Hyun Joong with all my power, and there is nothing you could do or say to make me do otherwise.” She turned to leave. “We graduate in less than two months, start acting like it.” She said, slamming the door.

*****

Heejun sat across from Lexy at his family’s café, latte in hand. He found it awkward. His sister was eyeing him suspiciously from behind the counter, and he could see his brother Yongguk shooting him weird looks from the kitchen. Being surrounded by his family didn’t seem like a great idea to him.

“Um…how’d you come up with this place?” he asked. She smiled, looking around.

“Well, I tried going out by myself once when I first got here,” she explained. “I stumbled upon this little coffee shop. I stayed here until my bodyguards came to get me. I just feel…safe here.” He smiled.

“I feel awkward.” He said. Lexy smirked.

“Why? Is it too girly for you?” she asked. He shook his head.

“No, I work here.” Lexy blushed.

“What?” she asked. “You work here?” she asked. Heejun nodded.

“And that’s not the worst part,” he said, flashing her a smile. Lexy looked at him, somewhat suspicious.

“And what is, then?” she asked. He started laughing.

“This is my family’s café. That’s my sister at the register, and my brother in the back.” Lexy’s face turned bright red.

“So what you’re saying is…I just paid you for our date?” she asked. Heejun laughed.

“Don’t worry; I’ll take you somewhere where none of my relatives work.” He said, setting his cup down. He held out his hand, and she gratefully took it. “Let’s go then.” He said, pulling her out of the café.

They ended up in the park. As they walked through a grove of trees, they approached the lake. It was glistening as the water softly lapped at the shore. They sat down at the water’s edge. Lexy laid back, her arms behind her head.

“It’s very nice out here.” She said. He nodded, the wind softly blowing through his hair as he looked onto the water.

“So, where are you from, Lexy?” he asked, trying to at least get to know this girl. She turned to him.

“New York City. I moved here with my parents a month or so ago after my dad got transferred.” He nodded.

“So, how is New York City?” he asked. She shrugged.

“Loud, crowded, lots of rude people. But you get that in big cities.” She said. He nodded again. “So what about you, Heejun. What’s life like for you?” she asked. He smiled.

“Well, I work at a garage with my friends Hyun Joong, Hong Jun and Minki. I also help out at the café and noodle shop, which are run by my mom and sister.” He said.

“What do you do for fun, you know, when you’re not suffering at the hands of your ex at school or working your hands to the bone afterwards?” she asked, plucking a dandelion from the grass and twirling it in her fingers.

He shrugged. “Well, I like skateboarding. Not really a hobby or anything, just something to do.” He said. Lexy pursed her lips.

“So, you really don’t have a personality, do you?” she asked. Heejun smiled.

“Well, I guess. Even after being dragged across the globe and fighting for what I thought was a relationship I wanted, I still don’t know a lot about myself.” He said. Lexy shrugged.

“I guess that’s what happens when one person takes over the relationship.” She said. She turned to him. “What do you even look for in a girlfriend?” she asked. He shrugged.

“Before Hee Sun, I had never had one. And even then, I really didn’t get to know her.” He said. “We had a few talks, but nothing like, this, ya’ know?” he said. Lexy smiled.

“I can imagine.” She said, propping herself onto her elbows. She squinted, looking at something across the lake.

“What is it, Lexy?” he asked.

“I think I know that chick,” she said, pointing over at a couple. He squinted, trying to get a better look.

“Oh, you know Hyorin too?” he asked. She looked up at him, puzzled.

“Hyorin? I was talking about my sunbaenim, Alex.”

*****

Alex and Hyorin linked arms as they walked along the edge of the lake. It was so bright and peaceful out today. They had gone through a street fair. The bracelet Alex had won her was on her wrist. It had red and white beads, intertwined with the leather strap holding it all together, a tiny white shell hanging from it.

Alex laid out a blanket and motioned for her to take a seat first. She shyly sat down, crossing her legs.

“It’s rather nice out today,” Alex commented, wiping the sweat from her brow. Hyorin nodded, handing her a kerchief. “Thanks,” she said, handing it back to her once she had finished. Hyorin turned and grabbed the picnic basket they had brought.

“Alex,” Hyorin said, lifting out the container of iced tea.

“Yea?” she asked, setting out the tteokboki.

“Why now? Why not earlier?” she asked. Alex smiled.

“After you got married, I’d figured that you wouldn’t want anything more to do with me. I tried to forget you. Obviously,” she said, icing off her hands as she set the cupcakes down. “It didn’t work. After a while, I figured I’d get in touch with you.”

“Even though I’m married?” she asked. Alex smiled.

“I was just looking for friendship,” she said, thinking about the kiss she gave her the first time they had met in the restaurant. “I didn’t think that I would do that. Not so soon, anyway,” she said, giving Hyorin a playful wink. Hyorin smiled. “Do you love him?” she asked.

Hyorin looked down, her smile fading. “I don’t know anymore. At one point, I thought I did, but lately…not so much.” Alex put her hand on Hyorin’s shoulder.

“Why would you stay with him if you’re so unhappy?” she asked. Hyorin shrugged.

“My mother-” she started, but Alex put her finger to her lips.

“Pardon my French, but your mother can kiss my .” She said. Hyorin covered , trying to stifle a giggle.  “If you’re so miserable, why not leave? Sure, he might be nice, but if you’re not happy, and you don’t love him, you’re just wasting your and his time.” She said, turning Hyorin’s face towards her own. “Besides, I can make you happy. I know I can. I, I want to be with you.” She said, leaning in. Hyorin didn’t know what to say. After so long, after everything that had happened, ‘Aw, it,’ she thought, grabbing Alex and pressing her lips to her own. It was like a fire had just been lit, deep within her. A feeling she hadn’t felt in so long emerged and threatened to take over. Alex pulled her closer, taking her hand in her own.

“Promise, Hyorin, that you’ll be with me.”

END OF CHAPTER 9