Chapter 16: Acceptance

Girls Over Flowers: The Return

Heejun sat at lunch with Yoon Jae and Ji Yeon. Graduation was in less than a week. He hadn’t seen any of the F4 since Lexy had left.

 

“So, what are you guys doing after graduation?” he asked. They looked at each other and then at Heejun.

“Oh God no…” Heejun shook his head. Yoon Jae shrugged and so did Ji Yeon, as she lifted her left hand to show a simple silver band around her ring finger.

“We’re both intent on going to college first, but we don’t know quite yet as to what we want to go for.” Yoon Jae explained.

“It’s going to be at least another two years.” Ji Yeon nodded. Heejun sighed.

“At least someone’s taking it slow.” He shook his head.

“Even if we wanted to, everyone’s getting married this time of year, there’s no place to book.” Said Ji Yeon.

“You mean you actually TRIED to get married this year?” asked Heejun. Yoon Jae shook his head.

“Not us, our parents. They wanted us married as soon as we told them. Ji Yeon talked them out of it, however.” Ji Yeon smiled proudly.

“Of course I did. The only available venue had an opening three months from now, and there’s no way for us to decide on anything that quickly. I’m not someone who’s been planning her wedding since she was three; I’ve had a lot more important things to do with my life.” She smiled. “I still do. The difference is,” she said, putting a gentle hand upon Yoon Jae’s shoulder. “I now have someone to share my experiences with.” Yoon Jae’s face flushed light pink.

“When is Taeyeon’s wedding?” asked Ji Yeon. Heejun thought for a moment.

“You don’t even know your sister’s own wedding date?” asked Yoon Jae. Heejun sighed and rolled his eyes.

“I don’t care, honestly. I mean, I’m not all into this wedding . That’s great, everyone’s finding their soul mate, or, well, in some cases, having their parents’ version of their soulmate shoved down their throat; but come on. I haven’t even decided what to do after school yet.”

Yoon Jae smiled. “Don’t worry. You’ll get inspired along the way, and who knows? Maybe you’ll find what you’re looking for when you least expect it. Or,” he continued. “it will find you.” Heejun smirked.

“Yeah. I wish.” He put his fork down and got up. “I gotta go. I’ll see you guys later.” They waved as he turned and left.

*****

Heejun sat at home, going through pamphlets and papers he’d been given at school. All sorts of advertisements for college exams and job fairs.  He sighed and placed his pen in his mouth, fighting the urge to throw the papers across the floor and say ‘ it.’

There was one envelope that had been sitting on his bedside table for quite some time. He took the envelope and emptied its contents.

He clicked his pen and began to fill out the forms. If he didn’t take this risk now, he’d spend a long time, months maybe years regretting it. He decided that now was the time.

He sat there for a moment, contemplating. This was a life changing decision. It would impact him for years to come, was he really ready for this. ‘ it.’ He got up, shoved the papers in the envelope, sealed it and walked outside.

He jogged down to the corner store, and stopped. The post office was just a few blocks away, and they had a drop box. If he stopped now, he’d chicken out. He had to do it now.

It was a long walk but he finally made it. He paused. It was a lot to take in. He quickly shoved it in and walked away. It was done. All he had to do now, was wait.

*****

Chaerin rolled her eyes as Ga In moved between the racks, looking at onesies. The bags were getting heavy and she could feel the strings of some boring into her arms.

“How does this one look?” Ga In asked. She held up a blue onesie with a brown teddy on it.

“What’s it matter? In twenty minutes the kid’s gonna puke, and piss all over it.” Ga In rolled her eyes and tossed it in the basket. The baby was coming soon, and she wanted to be prepared, despite her friend’s sass.

“I’m just making sure it has enough clothes. You never know with kids, it’ll get worn out with holes, or it’ll get too stained to wear.” She smiled, looking at a blanket with fishes on it.

“You’re getting an awful lot of boy stuff…are you sure you don’t know the and ain’t just hiding it from us?” Chaerin asked as Ga In tossed the blanket in the basket. She shook her head.

“I’m not buying it for the gender, I’m buying it cuz it’s cute!” she said, pulling a yellow duck hat off the rack with matching socks and gloves, and threw that into the basket too.

After she paid for her stuff they walked out and Chaerin (finally!) was able to relieve the stress in her arms and feel blood flow back into her hands.

“So what’s Hong Jun doing to prepare for the baby?” Chaerin asked, buckling herself in. Ga In shot her a look. “What? I’m just curious; he’s not out here shopping with you.”

“He’s working, saving up money for our child. Besides, he put together the crib, changing table, he’s putting in the car seat later and he’s gone to every appointment with me.” She sighed and sat back in the seat, cupping her protruding tummy. “I don’t understand why nobody believes us when we say that we’re ready and both of us are participating.” She looked over at Chaerin. “It’s like they really wanna believe that he’s just some dead beat and that I’ll end up a single mother.”

Chaerin shrugged. “I just wanna know, because you’re one of my best friends, and as one of my best friends I gotta make sure you’re taken care of.”

“I am.”

“Good. Ah,” she turned to Ga In. “What about y’all’s apartment? Is it okay?” Ga In nodded. “My grandmother would prefer that we stay with her, but Hong Jun feels suffocated, and, well…I agree. So we got an apartment not far from her, but far enough away she can’t walk up on our doorstep at 3 AM.”

“Good.” She smiled.

“When are you guys getting hitched?” Ga In smiled.

“We’re still talking about that, but look!” she held up her hand. A simple gold band was on her ring finger. “It’s just a promise ring, but for now, it’s good enough. We’ll get married when we’re ready.”

*****

Heejun woke up late. Again. He rushed through his shower and nearly tripped halfway down the stairs. “Don’t break your neck, Heejun.” He heard his mother yell at him from the kitchen. “It’s just breakfast, don’t die over it.”

He kissed his mother on the cheek. “But mom, your food is to die for.” She grimaced at him and rolled her eyes. “You got mail, by the way.”

He looked over at the table. Some magazines, college offers…an emblem on an envelope set his heart on fire. He tore it open.

His eyes lit up as he read through the paper. “MOM!” she turned around, startled by his sudden exclamation.

He turned the acceptance letter around. “Mom, I got accepted. I’m going to America.”

 

END OF CHAPTER 16

Sorry this update is so late…like, two years late. I’ve been trying to get this fic back up and running, thank you for your patience!