Chapter 10: Wedding Bells and Change of Heart

Girls Over Flowers: The Return

Chapter 10: Wedding Bells & Change of Heart

                “Of course I will!” said Hyorin, throwing her arms around Alex’s neck. Alex smiled back at her. Now, came the hard part. She had to tell her husband…and her mother.

*****

                Hee Sun lie upon her bed looking at the ceiling. Graduation was seven weeks away. Her wedding was ten weeks away. Before that, Yuna’s wedding. After her own wedding, Taeyeon was getting married to Jaejoong, the ex-fiancée she never met. Others might expect her to be upset, but how could she be, when she had never met him in the first place? She turned over and sighed.

                Her heart felt empty. Could she possibly have feelings for Heejun? She thought she loved him, but upon reflection, perhaps it had been lust. A lust for attention, freedom. Her selfishness had cost her dearly. Perhaps Chaerin was right; maybe she should just marry Junsu. He was nice, after all. She turned over onto her back and sighed again.

                Hee Sun flew out of her bed and shot down the stairs. Dwelling on the bad things wasn’t going to make her feel better. She needed fresh air.

*****

                Hyorin and Alex drove up to her home. Alex looked over at her. She gave her a quick smile, and put her hand on hers.

                “Are you sure?” she asked. Hyorin laughed nervously.

                “How could you ask that?” she asked, squeezing her hand. Alex shrugged.

                “I want to make sure that you’re happy, I don’t want you to feel as though I’m pushing you.” Hyorin shook her head.

                “I know exactly what I need to do.” She said, softly touching her face. She gave her a quick kiss and headed out of the car and up the house steps.

                She burst through the house and ran up to her room. She took out some luggage from the closet, opened it up and started throwing in her clothes and various other belongings. After about thirty minutes, she emerged, bringing down her suitcases and bags, and quickly packed them into Alex’s trunk.

                “What’s your hurry?” she asked, looking about. “Trying to make a speedy getaway?” she asked, raising an eyebrow. Hyorin smiled back at her.

                “I just don’t want to waste any time. I’m going to tell him, and I’m going to leave. I’m not going to sit here and talk anything out or argue. I’ve made up my mind, and that’s that.” Alex nodded.

                She made her way back in the house; searching for Min Jun. she looked into his study, finding it barren. She looked into the library, again, empty. She looked into his bedroom, in the living room, dining room, kitchen; he was nowhere to be found. It was his day off, where could he be, especially since he never left the house.

                She finally found him, sitting alone in the garden in the backyard. She approached him cautiously.

                “Min Jun, are you okay?” she asked. He looked up at her. His eyes were tired. His lips were parted, as if to say something, but closed them and looked away. “Min Jun?” she came forward, and he put his hand up.

                “Hyorin, I don’t want to pretend anymore. I want to know, are you cheating on me?” he asked. She was taken aback.

                “What would make you say that?” she asked. He looked at her.

                “Come on, ever since we got married, we haven’t gone out, we haven’t really talked, and we haven’t even…” his voice trailed off. She knew what he meant though. She sighed.

                “I had never cheated on you, throughout our entire marriage, I have been faithful and honest to you.” She said. “But,” she continued. “I have to be honest. I’m not happy here, and I’m filing for divorce.” His head shot up.

                “What?” he asked. Min Jun was stunned. Divorce? Already? After eight and a half years of marriage, what had he done wrong? “W-why?” he asked. Hyorin sighed.

                “Look, I’m not happy, you’re not happy, and it’s clear that we weren’t meant for each other.”

                “Hyorin wait! Don’t go, I-” Hyorin threw her hands up.

                “Min Jun, I’m gay.” He stopped. His eyes went askew. She half thought he was going to faint and throw up.

                “W-what?”

                “Gay. I’m gay, a lesbian.” She said. “This has nothing to do with you, I was gay before we met, before we got married, and I can’t stop being who I am. I’m sorry, but I can’t stay here and lie to you, myself, or anyone else. I have to go. Goodbye, Min Jun.” she turned and left, leaving him in awe.

                She got back in the car and took a deep breath. She looked over at Alex. “Will you come with me to my mother’s house?” she asked. “I’d feel a lot better if you came in with me.” She said. Alex grabbed her hand and kissed it.

                “Of course I will.” She said, putting the car into drive and sped off.

*****

                They sped up to her mother’s house. Hyorin could feel her heart beating in . Alex nodded over to her as she escorted her out of the car. Hand in hand, they walked up to the door.

                As they approached her office, Hyorin turned to Alex. “I’m nervous.” Alex smiled back at her, drawing her close.

                “It’s alright, I’m here with you. This time, I’m going to fight for you. No matter what she says, no matter what she does, I’m going to be right by your side.” She smiled at her, and knocked.

                “Come in,” she heard her call. She looked up as her daughter and, what looked like an effeminate man walk into her office. “What is this,” she asked, motioning to them.

                “I figured I’d tell you in person. I’m getting divorced from Min Jun, and leaving him, for Alex.” She looked from her daughter to this stranger.

                “Alex?” her eyes widened as she looked over at the blonde. Those eyes…”You!” she exclaimed. Alex stood strong as she came out from behind her desk and came face to face with her. “You’re that wretch from the lake! The one who poisoned her mind in the first place!” she said.

                “Homouality isn’t something that you can choose,” she said, squeezing Hyorin’s hand tightly. “She was like this before we met; there is nothing you can do to change her.” Alex’s knees buckled as a sharp pain flew across her face. She looked up; Hyorin’s mother was standing over her.

                “Leave her alone!” Hyorin cried, running in front of her. “I love Alex, and I’m getting a divorce, there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop me, I am a grown woman, and this is happening whether you like it or not. I am gay, and I love Alex, and I am going to be with her.” She helped her up and began walking out of the office. “Goodbye, Mother.”

                “Hyorin!” she cried. “You’re making a terrible mistake!” Hyorin turned back, glaring at her.

                “The biggest mistake I ever made was listening to you.” She said, slamming the door behind her.

*****

                Hyorin and Alex were making their way down the stairs, when Hyorin caught sight of Hee Sun. She whispered into Alex’s ear, who nodded and headed out. Hyorin came down and approached her sister.

                “Hee Sun, we need to talk.” She said, placing her hand on her shoulder.

                They were in Hee Sun’s bedroom, on her bed across from each other. It was silent for a few moments.

                “Hee Sun,” Hyorin spoke up. “I have something to tell you.” Hee Sun nodded.

                “Eonnie, who was that with you on the stairs?” she asked. Hyorin smiled.

                “That was Alex Borja.” She said.

                “You mean, from when you were in high school?” she asked. Hyorin nodded. “What is she doing here?” Hyorin took a deep breath.

                “Alex and I…are together.” She said. “I’m getting a divorce from Min Jun, and Alex and I are going to be together.” Hee Sun’s eyes widened and her jaw dropped.                

                “Wait…Alex? You’re…leaving Min Jun?” she scratched her head. “You’re…not eloping, are you?” she asked. Hyorin laughed.

                “Of course not!” she said. “Alex and I just got back together, that sort of thing takes time.”

                “Whew!” she said, flopping back onto her bed. “Thought I’d miss your wedding! Good, I want to see it!” she said, playfully shoving her sister. Hyorin smiled.

                “Well, you took it a thousand times better than our mother.” Hee Sun rolled her eyes.

“Of course I did.” She said. She took a pillow and began punching it. “Yuna’s wedding is in two weeks, are you going?” she asked. Hyorin nodded.

“Well, of course I am, why on earth would I miss Yuna’s wedding?” she asked. Hee Sun smiled.

“Are you bringing Alex?” she said, nudging her. Hyorin nodded.

“Yes, she’s a part of my life now. I’m not ashamed of her, and personally, I’d like the girls to meet her.” She said. Hee Sun smiled.

“I’m sure they’d love it!”

*****

 

Yuna stood on a pedestal, donning her wedding gown. It was the day of her wedding. Her mother was placing the veil upon her head. She sighed. The taffeta was making her legs itch. All she could think about was Minki. What would happen to him? Would he go off to college, or stay at the garage? What would he do with his life? She didn’t know if she loved him, but she cared for him very much. She turned towards the mirror.

Chaerin, Ga In and Hee Sun stood back. They were dressed in form fitting knee length red dresses. Their hair was in identical ponytails, and Ga In was wearing a weave. It looked so strange after years of her with her hair down to her chin.

“Well, this is it.” Said Yuna, taking her bouquet in her hand. Ga In grimaced.

“What then? What will you do afterwards?” she asked. Yuna smiled.

“Well, finishing high school is my first priority. My parents wanted me to get married after graduation, but they decided the sooner the better.” She sighed, looking down at her feet. “I had wanted to go to Florence, Italy to study art, but that will have to wait, I’m afraid.” Chaerin folded her arms.

“Why do we have to be like this?” she asked, holding out her arms. “Why can’t we just choose our own lives, and live them how we see fit?” she asked.

“Because we are daughters to some of the most powerful people in Korea, this is a life we are born into, and once we become of age an entire business empire and hundreds of people’s livelihoods shall be in our hands.” Said Hee Sun. Ga In and Chaerin hung their heads.

“Well put, Hee Sun.” Yuna sighed. “What made you so attentive to such details?” she asked Hee Sun shrugged.

“There isn’t anything I can do now. I don’t have Heejun, and I’ll have to marry Junsu, whether I like it or not. Then he’ll be my brother in law.” She grimaced, thinking of how awkward that would be.

“Life is a lot more complicated than I had expected, even for us,” said Chaerin. They all nodded in agreement.

“So, what are your guys’ plans after you graduate?” asked Ga In. Yuna shrugged.

“Staying in Korea for the time being, but he has been asked to display his works in art exhibits in Japan and Los Angeles.”

“You mean America!?” Chaerin exclaimed. “I’ve always wanted to go to California!” she smiled, and then abruptly stopped. “I mean, that’s cool. You should take pictures…of the beach…and stuff.” She said. Yuna smiled.

“I’ll make a note of it.” She said.

Her mother entered the room, knocking on the door softly. “It’s time, dear.” She looked back at her friends and smiled. It was time, her life was about to change, forever.

*****

Her father took her by the arm as they approached the church doors. He looked over at her. “I’ve always dreamed of this day,” he said, patting her hand. “The day I would get to walk you down the aisle. And now, it’s finally here.” He said, tears welling up in his eyes. Yuna smiled. “Now, I’m not sure if I really want to let you go.” She smiled, taking a kerchief from her bouquet and dried his eyes.

“Now, now, Papa. Don’t cry. Today is a happy day.” She said. He nodded, recomposing himself.

“I suppose it’s time then?” he asked. She nodded. He turned back to the doors. “Well then, let’s go.” He said.

The doors to the church’s main hall opened. Hee Sun and the others had already made their entrance. She could see Sung Kyu at the altar. There was no disguising his disappointment of the occasion. ‘I know neither of us want this, but he could at least pretend for his parents’ sake.’ She thought, as he father approached the bishop.

“Who gives this woman, to this man?” he asked, gesturing from Yuna to Sung Kyu.

“I do,” said her father. Then Sung Kyu took her arm and walked her to the altar as her father seated himself next to her mother.

“Dearly beloved,” began the bishop. “We are gathered here today to witness the bonds of matrimony between ___ Yuna and ___ Sung Kyu. If anyone has a reason that these two should not be wed, speak now, or forever hold your peace.” Yuna and Sung Kyu stood there, silence echoing in the hall. She saw him look out into the crowd. She followed his eyes to the back, and gasped.

Yuuki was seated in the last row; her hair was pulled back, dressed in a lovely peacock blue cocktail dress. She locked eyes with him. Yuna looked back at Sung Kyu. Is this why he was so somber? He was in love with Yuuki? It would explain why he had been so distant with her lately. He was in love with Yuuki, and from the look the two were exchanging, she felt the same.

Yuna’s heart flip-flopped. It might have been because the man she was supposed to be marrying was in love with another woman, a woman that she thought was her friend, or the fact that if she continued, she would not only be making herself miserable, but the two of them as well. She wasn’t the one who sobered him up, or his parents, it had been Yuuki. Yuuki made him a better person. Yuna couldn’t go through with it. She was about to open ,

“I can’t do this.” Sung Kyu dropped Yuna’s hands. He turned to the crowd of people. “I apologize to everyone who came out today. But I can’t do this,” he said, looking back at Yuna. “I don’t love you,” he said. He turned to his parents. “I’m sorry, mother and father. But I can’t lie to myself, or you anymore.” He looked to the back of the church. “I love someone else.” Yuuki’s mouth dropped and her eyes widened. She could feel her cheeks getting hotter. “I’m sorry,” he apologized again, before running out of the church.

The whole congregation stood up and began chattering. Their parents went off, fuming and calling out accusations. Yuna looked back at her friends and shrugged. She looked into the congregation and smiled. There, seated next to his friends, was Minki. He flashed her a devilish grin.

*****

After everyone else had left, Yuna, Ga In, Chaerin, Hee Sun and the guys decided to go to the wedding hall. She had told her parents that there was no need to waste all the food. She could find some use for it.

They sat around the room, neatly decorated and food displayed for all to see. Yuna figured she could give what was left to a homeless shelter, but for now, she and her friends would have dinner. The girls and guys separated into their own cliques and chatted over dinner.

“Well, that escalated quickly,” said Chaerin as she bit into a chicken wing. Yuna nodded, her eyes wide.

“I can honestly say that I did not see that coming.” She said, cutting into her roast duck.

“I thought it was romantic,” said Ga In, stifling a giggle. Yuna smiled.

“It was, I just wish he hadn’t taken us along for the ride and cut off our engagement sooner.” She said. Hee Sun shrugged.

“Maybe he was mulling it over, thinking about what was best for everyone.” She said. They all looked at her.

“Yo, Hee Sun, are you alright? You seem different lately.” Asked Chaerin, putting her hand to Hee Sun’s forehead. Hee Sun shrugged.

“I’ve just resided myself to my fate.” She said, twirling her fork around her pasta. Their heads popped up as they heard the door opening. It was Sung Kyu and Yuuki. Yuna stood up and went over to them.

“Look,” said Sung Kyu. “I’m sorry that I didn’t tell you sooner,” he said, holding onto Yuuki’s hand. “But, ever since Japan,” he looked over at her. “I just couldn’t go through with it. No matter how many times I would try to rationalize our marriage, I just couldn’t be without Yuuki.” Yuna smiled.

“I understand.” She said. She looked over at Yuuki. “It’s nice to see you again.” She said. Yuuki nodded.

“Likewise.” She smiled. “You look beautiful. It’s too bad that I ruined your big day.” She said. Yuna shook her head.

“Neither of us wanted it, you really saved us back there.” She said, hugging her. “Thank you. I hope you two are happy together.” Yuuki nodded, patting Yuna on the back.

“We will be.”

*****

The next day, Yuna was packing her bags. Now that she wasn’t married, she told her parents that she would be studying in Florence, Italy once she graduated. She was leaving the house and staying with Ga In before graduation since she wouldn’t be seeing her for a while.

She turned to look back at her room. The walls had holes in them from where she mounted her drawings and paintings, and photos of her and her friends. Her desk was barren, and there was nothing left of her bed but a barren mattress and bedpost. She sighed. ‘Goodbye, room. Today, I start a new chapter of my life.’ She pulled out her luggage, and closed the door.

She had servants bring down her luggage to the car while she took one last look outside. She went over to the pool, slipped off her shoes and stuck her feet in. the water was cool, and the sun was just right. Her head popped up as she heard footsteps approaching. At first, she thought it was her parents. But then, her legs were splashed as Minki plopped down right next to her. He smiled.

“So, you’re going to Italy, are you?” he asked. She nodded.

“After I graduate. It’s just a few weeks away. Too bad I’ll miss Taeyeon and Hee Sun’s weddings.” She said. Minki nodded.

“What do you think about all this drama?” he asked, softly kicking at the water. “When will it end?” she asked. Yuna shrugged.

“Graduation is just a few weeks away.” She said. “It’ll be over soon. You can’t Red Card people in the real world, you know.” She said. He nodded.

“You could, in college though, couldn’t you?” Yuna looked up, thinking.

“Well, if she decided to be that immature in college, sure, I guess she could.”

“And if she decided just to blacklist him to everyone important so that he couldn’t get a job?” Yuna’s eyes widened. It hadn’t happened in a long time, but she remembered when Hee Sun’s mother had done that to someone. She looked over at him.

“Well, she does seem to be more mature. She said that she had, ‘resided to her fate.’ Perhaps now she’ll move on and forget him.” She said. Minki nodded.

“I hope you’re right, Yuna, I really hope you’re right.”

END OF CHAPTER 10