Chapter 15: When One Door Closes, Another Opens

Girls Over Flowers: The Return

“I’m sorry, Hee Sun, but it’s not happening.” He gently took her hand away from his own. “There’s just too much drama with you, and that’s not what I want.” Tears fell down her face.

“So that’s it, after all we’ve been through?” Heejun turned around.

“Yes. I’ve found someone that makes me happy, and I don’t have to suffer to find that happiness. There aren’t any psycho relatives and we’re perfectly fine with being with each other out in the open, without having to worry about anything.” Hee Sun nodded.

“I see then.” She turned and left. “I hope you’re happy with her.”

“I am,” he said simply.

Hee Sun opened the door, and left. As soon as she was far enough away, and she heard the door shut, she bolted.

*****

Yuna and Chaerin sat in silence. The mob? Chaerin’s dad wanted her to marry into the mob? She would have thought that her dad would have wanted better for Chaerin. Yuna put her arm around her friend.

“Are you going to be okay?” she asked. Chaerin shook her head.

“I’m thinking of pulling a Hee Sun, to be honest.” Yuna laughed, and Chaerin cracked a small smile.

“Aw, Chaerin!” Yuna ruffled her hair. “Try that with your dad, and Heejun would be toast!” Chaerin nodded.

“Yeah,” she stopped. “Heejun? What are you talking about?” Yuna pursed her lips.

“Oh, you didn’t know?” Lexy left him at the hospital. Apparently something about her thinking that Hee Sun and Heejun were getting back together.”

“Who’d you hear that from?” she asked. Yuna smirked.

“I have my sources.” Chaerin rolled her eyes.

“Minki?”

“Perhaps.” Chaerin shook her head.

“Damn. Heejun can’t catch a break, can he?” she looked over at Yuna. “Besides, you know I like Hyun Joong.” Yuna shrugged.

“You never know.” Chaerin rolled her eyes.

“Whatever. Any news on Ga In and Hong Jun?” Yuna shook her head.

“No, last I heard, He was staying with her.” Chaerin sighed.

“A lot more than I’ve heard.”

“Well, you know her grandmother thinks you’re a bad influence,”

“Well geeze, you take someone to a strip club ONE time and suddenly you’re the bad guy!” They both fell into fits of laughter.

“Wow, Chaerin, you really know how to make friends.” Chaerin moved her bangs out of her face.

“Yeah, I guess. Not too good at making a first impression on family members, though.” Yuna shrugged.

“That’s okay, I don’t need my parents to like you to be friends, that’s the best part about us, I guess. We don’t have to worry about who we’re friends with.”

“Nah,” said Chaerin. “Just who we’re signing our lives and uteruses to.” Chaerin and Yuna gave a halfhearted laugh.

“I wish it could be different,” said Yuna. Chaerin slung her arm around her friend.

“Yeah, but at least we still have each other.” She said. Yuna hugged her back.

“Yeah, we do.”

*****

Ga In sat with Hong Jun in her living room. Her grandmother sat across from them, tea in hand. It was an awkward silence, as awkward as it could be, for Hong Jun knew he wasn’t wanted.

“So,” Sin Jung Hwa set down her cup. “You’re the boy who impregnated my dear granddaughter.” Hong Jun’s face flushed.

“I…yes?” he muttered. More of a question than an answer.

“Hmmph,” she folded her arms defiantly, like a toddler who had been refused her deepest wish. “A hoodlum like you?” she stood up, and in two sweeping motions was standing over him. “You think you’re good enough for my granddaughter?” she asked, eyeing him. “You’re a lowly street rat, what could you possibly afford her? You and the child will be living in the slums, thanks to this garbage!”

“HEY!” Hong Jun shouted so loud the woman almost jumped. Her eyes were wide, and she very much looked like a frazzled bird. “I am not a street rat. Just because I’m not loaded doesn’t mean that I don’t have a job or money. I can provide her with everything she needs, maybe not everything she necessarily wants, but I can make her happy. It doesn’t take money to make someone happy. We’ll be fine. Especially as long as she’s not with you. I’d rather my child grow up in the slums than with a rich, stuck up sourpuss like you!” he turned, but then turned back. “And for your information, I live in the suburbs, not in the slums. We’ll be fine, thank you very much.” And with that, he took Ga In by the arm and took her upstairs to her room.

“Wait, what are you doing?” she asked.

“Pack your bags; you’re moving in with me.” Ga In’s eyes widened.

“What?”

“You and our child are living with me. You don’t need to be around her, she’s so damn negative.” He looked over at her. “Don’t worry; I’ll take care of you.” Ga In smiled.

“Hong Jun!” she threw her arms around him. “I’m sorry I ed you while you were wasted, but you’re the best baby daddy I could ever ask for.” Hong Jun rolled his eyes and smiled.

“Thanks…I guess.”

*****

Heejun sat in the park, messing around with his baseball cap. He pulled out his cell from his pocket, and tried dialing Lexy’s number once more.

“Hey! It’s Lexy. Leave a message.” Damn. Her voicemail again. He slammed his phone shut. Why wasn’t she answering? Was she sleeping? What if she lost her phone? Was she hurt? It was killing him, not to know.

He heard leaves crunch, and looked up. Chaerin was standing before him. She was dressed in a billowing white shirt, with a brown leather belt around her waist. She was wearing a turquoise necklace with gold hoop earrings. Her blonde hair caught the sun, and the light emanated around her like an angel.

“Heejun?” she asked. “Are you okay?” Heejun shook his head, holding up his phone.

“Lexy hasn’t answered any of my calls. I guess she left the hospital before me. I tried going to her house, but her cousin said she was out.” He gave a halfhearted chuckle. “Funny thing though,” he said, looking up at her. “I’m pretty sure I saw her in a window on the upper floor.” He shrugged. “I have no idea what I’ve done to piss her off.” Chaerin sighed.

“Do you really want to see her again?” she asked. He looked up.

“More than anything.” Chaerin nodded. “Then come with me.” She grabbed his wrist and dragged him away.

“Where are we going?” he asked.

“To get your Juliette, Romeo.” She said. They mounted her bike, and sped off.

*****

She pulled up to the mansion, and they both dismounted. Heejun took off his helmet, and set it on the seat. “Wait,” Chaerin grabbed his arm.

She smoothed out his hair and brushed off his shoulders. “Don’t want you lookin like a ragamuffin.” She smiled at him. “Go get your girl, Heejun.” She playfully punched his shoulder. He smiled at her.

“Thanks Chaerin.” He turned and ran up to the house.

Heejun took a deep breath, and knocked on the door. He folded his hands, one over the other, rubbing them together nervously. A few moments passed. He knocked again. Eventually, Dongwan came to the door.

“Yeah?” he eyed Heejun suspiciously. “Hey, is your cousin Lexy still here?” he asked, looking up at him hopefully. Still side eyeing him, but softening, he shook his head.

“No, she headed off to the airport a little while ago.” He cocked his head. “Why would you cheat on her?” Heejun’s mouth fell open.

“Cheat on her? Who the hell told you that?” Dongwan shrugged.

“Lexy did. She said she saw you with Hee Sun, and it looked like you guys were getting cozy. Like you were getting back together.” Heejun furiously shook his head.

“No. I would never do that. Not after what happened with Hee Sun. She and I are over. I don’t believe there will be another time where I’ll be with her. Lexy is the only one I think of.” Dongwan nodded.

“I figured you weren’t that type.” He nodded off towards the west. “She still might be at the airport. Her flight shouldn’t leave for another half hour or so.”

“What? Flight? To where?” he asked.

“Back to New York. She said that it was probably time that she went home.” Heejun bowed to him.

“Thank you so much!” he turned and ran towards Chaerin.

“He said she still might be at the airport. We still have about half an hour before she’s supposed to leave.” She tossed the helmet at him.

“Then what are we waiting for, lover boy?” she asked. “Let’s go!” Heejun hopped on.

*****

They arrived at the airport in fifteen minutes. As they ran through the airport, Chaerin spotted her terminal. “There! Ten minutes left!” she patted him on the shoulder. “Go on.” He smiled at her.

“Thanks, Chaerin.” She waved him off.

“Don’t thank me, you moron! Go get your lady!” he ran off in the opposite direction as she stood there and shook her head. ‘He really isn’t that experienced in love, are you Kim Heejun?

Heejun ran as fast as his legs would carry him. He looked back and forth, searching for her. He stopped in the middle of the bustling floor, his hands on his knees.

His chest burned. Where could she be? He looked up. About five feet away, he saw a familiar cast.

“Lexy?” he called out. The woman turned to him.

“Heejun?” she appeared dumbfounded. He ran towards her and embraced her.

“Lexy! I’ve been looking everywhere for you!” he buried his face in her shoulder. She reluctantly returned the hug.

“Heejun, what are you doing here?” she asked.

“Lexy,” he said breathlessly, “I wasn’t getting back together with Hee Sun. She tried convincing me too, but Lexy, I love you. I want to be with you. You’re the only girl I think about.” Lexy looked at him sadly.

“Heejun,” she put her hands on his shoulder. “I love you too. But, that girl causes way too much drama for me. And, besides…I’m, I was leaving anyway.” Heejun’s face fell.

“What do you mean? Why?”

“Because, I’m going abroad to study, and its home. As much as I loved visiting Korea and my family, and being with you, I have to go home, and continue my life there.”

“I, I’ll come with you.” Lexy shook her head.

“No. You stay here. I don’t want you up and leaving your family for my sake. We’ll meet again, one day. I’m sure. But now, it’s just not meant to be.” Heejun shook his head.

“Lexy, please, reconsider-” she shook her head.

“If I don’t leave now, I’ll regret it for the rest of my life. Maybe not now, but later. I need to go. I’ll miss you Heejun.” She kissed him on the forehead. “The next girl you love will be the one meant for you. I know she will.” She picked up her luggage, and headed off.

Heejun turned, dumbfounded and heartbroken. His girlfriend had dumped him. He had dumped Hee Sun. He was alone. But when he looked up, he saw Chaerin, smiling and waving at him, hopeful.

He gave her a halfhearted smile as he approached her.

“So, how’d it go?” she asked.

“She dumped me.” He said cheerfully. Chaerin looked at him, puzzled.

“You seem pretty happy for someone who just got dumped.” He smiled at her, ruffling her hair.

“Yeah, but that’s alright. I need to focus on more important things right now.” He said.

“Like what?” Chaerin asked.

“Well, Alex and Hyorin’s wedding is coming up, and Hong Jun and Ga In are having a baby. Not to mention we’re graduating soon. I think we have a pretty packed schedule, don’t you?” he asked. She smiled.

“I suppose we do.”

“Let’s go, maybe everyone else will have happier news.” She nodded.

“Alright, let’s go.”

END OF CHAPTER 15