Chapter 4: A Turning Point

Girls Over Flowers: The Return

 

Chapter 4: A Turning Point

 

                Chaerin met Ga In and Yuna outside of the coffee shop later that day.

                “What did you get?” Ga In asked. Chaerin twirled her hair nervously.

                “Chaerin? What’s wrong?” asked Yuna. Chaerin bit her lip. She really didn’t want to tell them, but she had to say something.

                “I think that Ayaka chick is working with Hee Sun’s mom.” Ga In shook her head.

                “No, no that can’t be! We just, come on! That’s not fair!” she pulled at her hair. Yuna shook her head.

                “We should have seen this coming from the beginning.” Yuna said. Chaerin scratched her head, leaving her golden locks in a mess.

                “I thought about it at first, but then…I don’t know. I should have been on it from the beginning.” She buried her face in her hands. “What are we gonna do?” Yuna patted her on the shoulder.

                “It will be okay, we got through her mom once, and we can do it again.” Chaerin shook her head.

                “You don’t understand. She has Heejun questioning their relationship. What are we gonna do if he breaks up with her.” She shook her head. “To be honest, I really don’t wanna hurt them anymore.” Ga In nudged her.

                “Why, because of Hyun Joong?” Chaerin batted her away.

                “I guess it could be that, but…” her voice trailed off.

                “After all we’ve been through with these guys, all the hell we’ve put them through because we thought we could help make the relationship work, and it’s all going to end. I don’t think there is anything we can do if he breaks it off.” said Yuna. Ga In sighed.

                “What will happen if it happens? We got his friends living with us! I really don’t wanna hurt them either!”

                “If my daddy finds out about this, he’ll kill me, and then Hyun Joong, or he’ll kill Hyun Joong, and make me watch.” Chaerin wrung her fingers through her hair. “I don’t know if I can handle another one of Hee Sun’s break ups.” She looked over at the others.

                “Do you remember the last time I had to deal with one of Hee Sun’s exes?” she thought for a moment. “Not that she’s had a lot,” she rolled her eyes. “Her mom has made sure of that. But…” she shuddered. “I couldn’t imagine doing that to Heejun.” Ga In looked at Yuna.

                “Don’t you remember, the last time we dealt with someone we didn’t want to personally get involved with?” she pulled a red card from her pocket and set it on the table. Chaerin looked up.

                “We can’t do that to him, or his friends. What are we gonna do?” Yuna shrugged forlornly.

                “Hope and pray he stays with Hee Sun, or hope and pray that she doesn’t pitch a fit.”

                Heejun paced in his room. His parents were out helping Taeyeon with her wedding plans. Right now, he was all by himself. He laid back in his bed. He longed for the days when life wasn’t so complicated. When he didn’t have a girlfriend, or have to worry about her vengeful mother.  He turned over and sighed.

How he longed for the days when he was in his old school, with his friends in the garage instead of gallivanting about with Hee Sun and her friends. He looked over at his night stand and saw her cup. He rolled over and grabbed it, smiling.

                She had made this herself. She had made it for him. He remembered the promise he had made to her. He would try to make it work. But thinking back, when did he start liking her? After he confronted her mother? Perhaps it had been the adrenaline. He had been so unwilling. He had wanted to leave her, but he couldn’t do that. Not when her mother was acting like that. Hee Sun deserved better.

                Heejun shot out of bed and grabbed his coat. He didn’t know where he’d end up, but he had to get out of here. His thoughts were suffocating him.

                He walked through the park, settling himself on a bench. He looked over, and saw a couple fighting. The guy a newspaper of some kind into the girl’s hands. She looked quite shocked. She tried to go after him, but he shoved her away. Heejun shook his head.

                ‘I guess no one’s really having any luck with love these days.’ He got up and walked away. As he walked the trail, thoughts ran through his mind. The first time he saw her, the contempt he felt. The first time he met Chaerin. He shook his head, and began to run.

                Tree branches hit him and ripped his shirt. As he blindly ran through, hot tears of frustration ran down his face. He reached the peak of the road. He could see for miles. He turned around and kicked the exercise equipment.  

                “Aaargh!” He shoved it and kicked it again. He sat down on a bench, breathing heavily. He turned as he heard a rustling in the bush. A tall girl with flowing honey brown hair came out from the bushes with a book clutched in her hand. She checked her watch and yawned.

                “Well Hercules, thanks for ruining my nap. Why don’t you throw the bench or scream a little louder next time? I don’t think the people in Gangnam heard you.” He stood up.

                “I’m so sorry-” she put her hand up.

                “Don’t apologize to me, it’s not like I need it anyway.” She said, waving her hand at him. He shook his head.

                “So, what are you doing up here anyway? Besides destroying public property?” she asked sarcastically. Heejun sighed.

                “None of your business.” He said, running his hands through his hair. She raised her eyebrow, setting her book under her arm.

                “What are you really doing here, Hercules?” she asked, leaning up against a tree. “Surely you’re not a delinquent. You don’t look like the type.”

                “Why would you want to know?” he asked. She shrugged.

                “Well, you did interrupt my nap; I think I deserve an explanation.” She explained. He sighed and rolled his eyes.

                “Just, relationship , nothing you’d be interested in, I’m sure.” He said, lying back on the bench.

                “Try me.” She said, sliding down and settling herself onto the grass. He took a deep breath.

                “Well, I was talking to my friends, and this new girl, I guess she’s friends with Ji Yeon, but I don’t really know her. They just,” he sighed again. “Have me questioning my relationship.”

                “Well, if you’re questioning it you either don’t have confidence in it in the first place, or the girl your dating,” she looked at him. “I assume your girlfriend, you didn’t say, has given you reason to doubt your relationship.”

                “It is my girlfriend, thank you very much, and, well, it’s her behavior. She’s a bit rough around the edges, but her personality has improved. But still, at the beginning, she did lie to me, and well-” she cut him off.

                “Make a list.” She suggested. “A list of all the positive things in your relationship, and all the negative. Add the questions you have about it if necessary. If the questions and or the bad outweigh the good, then it’s time to move on.” Heejun shrugged.

                “Perhaps you’re right.”

                “Perhaps I am.” She got up and turned to leave.

                “Wait!” she turned around.

                “What’s your name?” he asked. She smirked.

                “Lexy.” She gave him a small wave and turned to leave. He sat back up, contemplating his next move.