Chapter 7: Its Only the Beginning

Girls Over Flowers: The Return

Chapter 7: It’s Only The Beginning

                Heejun’s mouth hung open. Lexy. He hadn’t seen her since that day up on the hill. Her hair had grown a bit longer, and seemed lighter than the last time than they had met. He gave a half-hearted wave.

                “What are you doing here, Dongwan oppa?” she asked. He motioned to them. She nodded in understanding. She motioned for them to follow her out of the school. They made their way into Dongwan’s car, while Lexy took her own and followed him.

                They made their way through posh store fronts and past mansion after mansion. They finally pulled up in front of an estate. The house itself towered over a grove of trees before they reached a magnificent lawn that could have fit two football fields into it, with a giant elaborate fountain in the middle of it. They exited the car, which was promptly taken by a valet. Lexy opened the door, which lead directly into a foyer.

There was nothing there. No grand staircase, no elaborate decorations, just a black door at the end of the room. Off to the left was a glass door that led off into the backyard down a hallway. The walls and floors were made of white waxed marble. There were two black doors, one on each side of the room.

“Um…minimalist much?” asked Heejun, looking around. Dongwan smiled.

“Our parents aren’t much for showing off with grand foyers or other such frivolities. Sure, they sprang for a fountain, which they put their coy in, heaven knows why,” he shrugged as he handed Yoon Jae off to a maid, who whisked him off, Ji Yeon trailing behind him.

“But otherwise, their pretty normal. We don’t go about flaunting our wealth like other people, and my sister and I were put to work to pay for our own expenses, unlike other children of wealthy parents who are given a credit card and told to go off.” He said, turning to Heejun.

“You’re that boy Heejun, aren’t you? The one that Ji Yeon said was dragged around by Hee Sun like a puppy?” he blushed, and reminded himself to talk to Ji Yeon later about referring to him as a puppy. He nodded. “I thought so,” he said, waving them over to the door on the left.

This was a sitting room. The walls were white; the floor was a stunning polished red, with black leather furniture and glass tables. He motioned for them to take a seat, and they were promptly served tea by several maids. Dongwan shooed them off as he took a cup. Lexy took a cup and offered one to Heejun and Ayaka.

“So, what’s up with this, ‘red carding’ that I’ve heard about?” asked Lexy. “I’m there for five minutes and I hear that four kids got it.” Heejun sighed.

“Apparently it marks you as a target for the whole school.” Explained Heejun. Ayaka nodded.

“How do you get one of those?” she asked, biting into a scone.

“Pissing off F4.” Retorted Ayaka. Dongwan raised an eyebrow. He turned to Lexy.

“Didn’t Ji Yeon work for one of them?” Lexy nodded.

“Kwon Hee Sun.” she remembered vividly. How could she not? All the times she had tortured Ji Yeon. She didn’t have the nerve to tell Dongwan though. Besides, Karma would bite that in the one of these days, and from what she could tell, it would be soon.

He nodded. He wished there was something that he could do for his little sister, but he didn’t have help in high school, and she needed to figure out how to take care of herself.  She wasn’t going to be a kid forever, and needed to learn how to make her own decisions. His parents wanted them to learn how to make their own decisions, which is why they were given such limited resources and free reign over their lives.

*****

Ji Yeon sat with Yoon Jae up in a guest room. She wiped his forehead with a damp cloth as he began to come to.

“Are you okay, Yoon Jae?” she asked. He nodded weakly. “The maid said you were just exhausted. At least you’re not hurt again,” she said. He smiled.

“Thanks Ji Yeon.” He looked around, quite puzzled. “Where are we, Ji Yeon?” he asked.

“At my house.” She said. He looked at her.

“Your house? Wait, maid?” he looked around, his head swimming. “What the?” she made him lie back down.

“Yeah, I have a lot of explaining to do.”

“So, I’m the only kid at Yong Hwa who isn’t from a prestigious family?” he asked.

“Besides, Heejun? Or on a scholarship?” he sighed and lied back down.

“Whoa. So, what did you hide this for?” he asked. She shrugged.

“I wanted to make a name for myself of my own merit, not my parents’ money like other kids. Besides, we don’t really flaunt what we have. We’re not that kind of people.” She explained. He nodded.

“Makes sense, you don’t seem to be that type of person anyway,” he said smiling. She smiled back at him.

“Yoon Jae,” she said.

“Yea, Ji Yeon?” he asked.

“At the risk of you fainting, I just wanted to say,” she pecked him on the cheek, causing his face to flush a crimson red. “I really like you.”

“You, do? Oh~” and with that, his head flew back onto the pillow with a soft fwoop! She smiled, running her hand through his hair.

*****

Heejun sat next to Lexy in the living room. Ayaka and Dongwan had gone upstairs to check on Yoon Jae. It was quite awkward, thinking that he was sitting in Ji Yeon’s house. He looked over at Lexy. She reminded him of Chaerin, but more in control of her emotions. She looked over at him.

“So I take it things with your girlfriend didn’t go so smoothly?” she asked. He shrugged.

“No, no it didn’t.” she shrugged.

“I’m sure it’s for the best, being by yourself or with someone else for a bit will clear your head. Perhaps now you can get a clear thought out.” She said. He nodded. He wondered what his other friends were doing at this moment. Were they suffering as he was?

*****

Chaerin came into the boat house. Hyung Joong had said that he had wanted to talk. She gently closed the door, standing there awkwardly as he sat there on a cot in a tank top. He looked over at her, and beckoned her forward.

“What’s up?” she asked shyly. He grimaced as he looked over at her.

“I think you know what this is about.” Her eyes shot down to her feet. She knew this was coming. “So what happens to us; Minki, Hong Jun and myself? You know, since Heejun and Hee Sun are done.” Chaerin sighed.

“As of right now, nothing changes. We won’t let anything bad happen to you guys, you just got caught in the crossfire.” Hyun Joong rolled his eyes.

“What about Yoon Jae, Ji Yeon and Ayaka? Did they get caught in the crossfire? Or were they really the ones you were after?” he asked. Chaerin’s eyes widened.

“I thought so, especially after that blow up. But I don’t really see Yoon Jae doing anything to hurt you guys, why him?” he asked. Chaerin shrugged.

“That’s just what we were told to do; Hee Sun knows Heejun will protect Yoon Jae no matter what, he’s his best friend.” Hyun Joong scoffed.

“Best friend? He’s just being nice. We’re his best friends, not him. He’s just some random kid he saved from a garbage can.” Chaerin raised an eyebrow.

“I, didn’t know you felt that way about the kid.” Hyun Joong shook his head.

“Ever since that kid came along, he doesn’t have time for us anymore, in fact, he just let his girlfriend boss us around and we ended up here, with you guys. He’s completely changed.” He ran his hands through his hair.

“I don’t know how much longer I can take it, I, I don’t know what to do anymore.” Chaerin patted his shoulder.

“Once graduation happens, that’ll be good for you.” He looked over at her.

“How’s that?” he asked. She smiled.

“You’re going to graduate from one of the most prestigious schools in Korea, you can go anywhere you want!” she said excitedly. He smiled and nodded.

“Where do you want to go?” he asked her. She hugged her knees, looking up at the ceiling.

“I don’t know yet. I know my dad wants me to marry some rich guy, probably help with the family business, but I don’t know if that’s what I want anymore.”

“Oh?” he asked. She nodded.

“Ji Yeon said that I’m Hee Sun’s puppet. After thinking about it, she’s kinda right. I’ve always taken orders without question cuz that’s how I was raised. But now I realize, that in order to really take a hold of my life, I need to let Hee Sun go, at least for now.” She said, looking back at him.

“Is that so? So this is Ji Yeon’s work?” he tapped his fingers on his knees. Chaerin nodded.

“I think she’s in it with Hee Sun’s mom, and if not her, Ayaka is for sure.” She said. Hyun Joong nodded.

“Makes sense,” he said. “All this trouble started after you came back, right?” he asked. She nodded.

“I thought everything was going to be fine, and then, and then the situation with Ji Yeon and Hee Sun happened. Now, I don’t know if Hee Sun will ever be the same. She, she seems even more ruthless than she used to be. I don’t want her to be like her mother.” Tears rolled down her cheeks. Hyun Joong put his arm around her.

“Her mother’s an evil ; I don’t want Hee Sun to turn out that way. I want her to be the Hee Sun I know, the happy girl who wanted to be a model. But her mother found out and put a stop to it. She said that models were worthless attention seekers.” She shook her head. “Her father is too busy to pay attention. I wonder if he even knows about what’s happening.” Hyun Joong thought for a moment. He smiled and turned to her.

“Chaerin, I have an idea.”

*****

Hyorin sat with Min Jun in their sitting room. Soft rays of sunlight wafted in through the glass doors. She looked out, watching the water of the lake lap upon the shore. Wind blew softly through the trees. It was a nice day for a walk, that is, if she weren’t stuck inside.

Min Jun insisted on staying in. It was too hot. Besides, they should sit and talk, she had been gone so often, they hadn’t really had time to spend with each other. She sat there, her hands in her lap, across from her husband. Awkward silence filled the room. ‘So much for talking,’ she thought. She looked over at the pile of mail.

She really should look through it. There could be important bills in there. Or invitations. Or a letter, who knows! The mail seemed quite exciting compared to the dim silence they had enveloped themselves in. she grabbed the pile of mail.

“I should really go through this, dear.” She said. He nodded.

“Of course.” He said, nodding. She left and headed upstairs to her study. She closed the door and headed over to her desk. She began sorting the mail. Bills, bills, invitation, charity letter, invitation, bills, bills, and then a letter. It was in an orange envelope, sealed with green wax. How…strange. It was addressed to ‘Hyorin.’ Nothing else. No last names, no formalities. How rude, who was this person? She wondered as she ripped open the letter. Why they…

*****

Ga In, Hong Jun, Yuna and Minki all were walking through the park. They’d rather not try to meddle in Hee Sun’s affairs at the moment. For now, Hong Jun and Minki were safe, and that’s how Ga In and Yuna planned to keep it.

“Are you sure she won’t come after us?” asked Minki, tightening his grip on Yuna’s arm. She nodded.

“For now, she’s just concerned with the other four, they are her main priority. You three are safe.”

“Yea, for now. Until that crazy broad decides that getting them isn’t enough and comes after us.” Said Hong Jun. Ga In rolled her eyes.

“Relax, we won’t let her.” She said, ruffling his hair.

“You really can’t guarantee anything though, can you?” said Minki. “You do as she says, or…you know.” He drew an invisible line across his throat with his finger. Yuna smacked him upside the head.

“We can think for ourselves, thank you very much.” She retorted. Minki rubbed the sore spot on his head.

“No offense, chica, sometime you don’t act like it,” Hong Jun added. Yuna shot a glare over in his direction. He threw his hands up. “Eh, it’s the truth, whether you wanna believe it or not. I haven’t seen you tell her no.” Yuna was about to say something, but thought better of it.

“They do have a point,” said Ga In. Yuna looked at Ga In. she shook her head. “We don’t tell her no cuz she’s our leader. Who leads you?” she asked them.

“Nobody. We’re self-starters. Each of us makes our own decisions. Yeah, sure, if it weren’t for Hyun Joong and Heejun, we prolly wouldn’t have met, but it’s not like they actually give us orders and we follow ‘em, that’s not how our crew rolls.” Said Hong Jun, straightening out his hat. Ga In looked down at her feet.

“Don’t you guys ever want to do anything without worrying that Hee Sun wants you to, ‘take someone out’ or go to her when she calls you?” asked Minki. Yuna looked at Ga In, this time, with more of a thoughtful look than anything.

“What do ya’ll wanna do with your lives after high school anyway?” asked Hong Jun. “It’s only a few months away, you’ll have to decide sooner or later.” He said. Ga In and Yuna nodded. What were they going to do?

*****

Sung Kyu sat on a bench in the park. He was painting a cat taking a nap in a nearby tree. It had a bell around its neck; surely the owner was missing it. But he was in no hurry; it looked so peaceful that he wanted to take a go at painting it. He was almost finished, when a hand gently placed itself on his shoulder. He looked up.

“Excuse me, Sung Kyu?” his eyes widened.

*****

Hyorin sat back. It was Alex. Her mother had forced her to dump Alex when she had forced her to be with Min Jun.

‘Dearest Hyorin,

It’s been a while, hasn’t it? Almost, ten years, in fact. I’ve missed you so much since that rainy day in March. I know you were only doing what that evil hag asked of you-‘

                Hyorin had to stop and stifle her giggling. She and Alex had always mentioned her mother in that way. Neither of them had liked her very much back then. Especially when her mother found out about her and Alex’s relationship. She continued reading.

                ‘Remember when your mother found out about us? We were out at the lake, and had just gone for a swim. She looked like an angry toad coming at us the way she did. I’m sorry that I didn’t fight harder for you back then. I loved you more than I could have said, and I still do.’

                Hyorin’s face flushed a bright red. Alex still loved her? She looked back at the door, and then back at the letter. Min Jun. Alex. She shook her head.

                ‘I would hope that you would come to see me. I’ve been in New York for the past few years, and was wondering if you could meet me for dinner, perhaps? I’d like to catch up and get to know you all over again. I hope you’ll have me.’

Love, Yours Truly,

Alex Borja

                     Hyorin thought fast. She looked at the back of the letter. It had an address and a time. She looked at the letter, and back at the door. This could be her last chance. And she was going to take it.

*****

                     “Yuuki? Is that really you?” he asked, a giant smile spreading across his face. She smiled back at him, waving her hands in excitement.

                     “Well of course it is!” she said, holding out her arms. He put down his brush and hugged her. She sat down next to him.

                     “What a nice painting. Your technique has improved since I last saw you.” She said.

                     “Thank you. How have you been, why are you here?” he asked.

                     “Slow down, there’s plenty of time for questions later. Why don’t we just sit here?” she asked. Sung Kyu smiled.

                     “I’d like that.” He said, turning back to his painting, with Yuuki sitting next to him.

*****

                     Taeyeon and Jaejoong sat in another part of the park on a bench near the lake. There was nothing really to say at this point. Jaejoong had figured out the plan, and Hyorin and Taeyeon had filled him in. He was no longer angry, just disappointed. He thought that Taeyeon had more sense than to lie to him. No matter how much she apologized, however, it never seemed to be enough, to her at least.

                     Jaejoong sighed, watching ducks float lazily by while children threw bread to them. He had yet another fiancée, and his brother was now going to wed as well. He had hoped that with his marriage he could let his little brother choose his own bride. But alas, it wasn’t meant to be. He looked over at Taeyeon. He understood why she had done what she had. He would have done the same for Junsu if it had come down to it. He turned to her.

                     “Taeyeon,” he said, putting his hand on hers. She turned to him.

                     “Yes, Jaejoong?” she asked. She was quite nervous. She had just put herself in Hee Sun’s and Hyorin’s situation, and it was her own damn fault. If only she had ignored Hyorin when they had first met. But then again, it was nice to see Heejun so happy, if only for a little while.

                     “I just wanted to let you know, I don’t regret what happened, and I’m not angry with you.” He said. Her cheeks flushed.

                     “Y-You’re not?” she asked. He shook his head.

                     “No. I thought about it, and I came to the realization that, if this had happened to my own brother, that I would have done the same thing. So, I can’t really blame you for something that I myself would have done, under the circumstances.” She smiled and nodded.

                     “Well, what do we do now?” she asked, looking at him. He smiled.

                     “Well, for starters, you can meet my brother and my cousins.” He said. She blushed.

                     “This sounds like an awkward situation just waiting to happen.”

                     “Probably.” He said with a smile.

END OF CHAPTER 7