Chapter 13: Confrontation

Girls Over Flowers: The Return

Chapter 13: Confrontation

                Chaerin and Yuna looked at Ga In in awe. “B-b-but, how?” asked Yuna. Ga In glared up at her, not in the move for her naivety.

                “How the do you think babies are made, you moron!” Chaerin grimaced.

                “Look, Ga In, I know you’re upset, but there’s no need to take it out on Yuna.” Ga In cradled her head on her knees.

                “What am I going to do? Hong Jun and my grandmother will think I’ve done this on purpose. They’ll never forgive me! My grandmother will make me keep it, and Hong Jun will be pissed at me for trapping him with me for 18 years!” tears fell down her cheeks and dripped from the tip of her nose. Chaerin shook her head.

                “It’s not like you meant to get pregnant…did you?” she asked. Ga In shook her head.

                “No. But I’ve made my bed, and now, I must lie in it.” Yuna sighed.

                “What shall you do now?” she asked. Ga In shrugged. They waited for the nurse to bring her her papers. She was to come back in a few weeks for an appointment with the pediatrician. As they left the hospital, it was like a black cloud hanging overhead.

*****

                Hyorin and Taeyeon sat in the café. Both were going through their wedding plans. From fabric to what would be served at their dinners, they chatted throughout the afternoon.

                “You know,” said Taeyeon as she sipped her frappe, “It’s not even like we’re being forced to do it anymore. I really like his cousins too, they’re pretty cool guys.” Hyorin nodded.

                “Though, it probably helps that you’re about the same age,” she said, stirring her tea. Taeyeon shrugged. She wanted to put the past behind them.

                “So, how are things with Alex?” she asked. Hyorin smiled.

                “Wonderful.” She blushed. “She doesn’t really like the idea of inviting my mother, but she is my family, and it would be rude to leave her out, even if she is a wrathful witch.” Taeyeon stifled a giggle.

                “So, what do you think about Heejun’s new girlfriend?” she asked Hyorin. “I’ve only met her once. She’s like a female Heejun, strong willed, pig-headed, sarcastic.” Hyorin smiled.

                “I haven’t met her. Hee Sun seems to be having a hard time though.” She said. Taeyeon’s face fell. In all her excitement, she had forgotten about her past relationship with her brother.

                “Oh,” she simply said. Hyorin nodded.

                “Yeah, I know she’s trying to go along with it, even though she doesn’t want to, but I don’t think she’s over Heejun.” Taeyeon held back a smirk. It was hard to believe anyone would be broken hearted over her brother.

But then again, they had been through a lot this past year. The only reason she ever met Hyorin was to be a part of their scheme to escape their mother. Hyorin was free, while Hee Sun was not. She was still stuck to her fate, now as her future sister in law.

“If she’s so broken hearted over him, why can’t she just tell him so?” she asked. “Ask for him back, and all that romantic stuff.” Hyorin shook her head and rolled her eyes.

“That’s not how Hee Sun is. She’s stubborn. She can’t admit defeat or apologize. I blame that on our mother’s side.” She said, sipping her tea. Taeyeon sighed.

“Well, in that respect, they’re perfectly matched.” Hyorin smiled.

“Let’s get back to happier things,” she suggested, pulling out a booklet. “Let’s look at cakes.”

*****

Lexy hobbled along the sidewalk through the park. She wished that she could actually enjoy her ‘walk,’ but Hee Sun had seen to it that she couldn’t feel safe anywhere. Heejun was still in the hospital. She went to pick him up some coffee and snacks, since the hospital food wasn’t that great.

As she left the coffee shop, she saw her. Hee Sun. if she weren’t injured, she’d beat the hell out of her till she couldn’t walk or went blind. Whichever ability she destroyed first. She sat down on a bench to adjust her brace. The doctor told her she needed to wear it for a few weeks, just until her leg was stable enough to stand on.

Hee Sun was looking into the lake. Lexy thought about how much she would enjoy ing her head beneath the water. And letting her drown. She finished adjusting herself, and began to walk away. “Wait!” she turned around. Hee Sun was coming forward. Lexy rolled her eyes. She didn’t want to talk to her. But, she figured she’d give her a few seconds head start after she finished.

Hee Sun took a deep breath. “Hello…Lexy is it?” she asked. She nodded. Hee Sun continued. “I don’t really know you, but I need to tell you something.” Lexy inwardly rolled her eyes. If it was another apology, she didn’t need it. “Heejun is mine.” Lexy’s eyes went wide.

“Excuse me? I think you’re mistaken. Heejun said he broke up with you, and now he’s my boyfriend, so back off Barbie.” Hee Sun scoffed.

“Here’s the thing, Lexy.” She said, stepping even closer. “I don’t care what you think you’ve got, I know what I have. Heejun is mine, and he has been. That hasn’t changed.”

“, you’ve gone and lost your damn mind.” Lexy shook her head. “You’re done. Heejun and I are together now. It doesn’t matter what you want anymore. You’re engaged to yet another guy, and you’re not dragging Heejun back into your crap.”

Hee Sun’s smile was like venom. “That’s what you think. I may not have my friends with me, but don’t underestimate me. That would be the worst mistake you could ever make.” She went to leave and turned back. “Heejun will be mine again. Make no mistake about that.”

Lexy was left alone, angry, and anticipating the worst to come.

*****

Ji Yeon, Yoon Jae and Ayaka were together in her home. They were in her bedroom. Yoon Jae was in his wheelchair, and the two girls were on Ji Yeon’s bed.

“So, when is Heejun getting out of the hospital?” asked Ayaka, checking her face in a hand mirror. The swelling in her face had gone down tremendously.

“This afternoon. Lexy said she was going to pick him up.” Yoon Jae grimaced.

“Ayaka, I’ve been wondering, you know, since we were red carded, what exactly were you supposed to be doing here?” he asked, turning to her. Ayaka sighed.

“I was supposed to be trying to break up Heejun and Hee Sun.” she looked over at Ji Yeon. “But Ji Yeon beat me to it.” Ji Yeon shrugged. Yoon Jae shook his head.

“Why?” he asked. Ayaka lowered her head.

“Because her mom hired me to.” Yoon Jae’s mouth dropped.

“WHAT?” he cried. “You were working for her, but why?” he asked. That’s all he seemed to be able to ask right now.

“Because I needed the money. I’m not well off like Hee Sun and Chaerin and them. I have to work for my money. At the time, I couldn’t find a job. Hee Sun’s mom knew I was friends with Ji Yeon somehow, and she asked me to go after them.” She sighed, glad that the weight was off her shoulders, but her heart was heavy, awaiting his judgment.

“I, I don’t know what to say.” He turned to Ji Yeon. “Did you know about this?” he asked. Ji Yeon slowly nodded. He sighed. They had both lied to him. “What else have you lied about? What about the night near the fountain, did you lie then?” he asked, tears b in his eyes.

“Yoon Jae, you have to understand, I just wanted to protect you guys. I didn’t want to hurt you or Heejun, but I couldn’t let her use him anymore, I didn’t want them to hurt you anymore.” She tried to put her hands on his shoulders, but he turned away.

“I don’t want to know any more. I’m leaving.” He rolled his way out of the room. Ayaka and Ji Yeon looked at each other.

“Will he ever forgive us, Ji Yeon?” Ayaka asked, looking back at the door. Ji Yeon shrugged coldly.

“Let him walk out. I was doing what I thought was best. If he couldn’t see that, or refuses, then let him be.” Ayaka furrowed her brow.

“But,” Ji Yeon cut her off.

“If you’re so worried about him, then go after him. But I’m not going to force him to believe me.” She turned away and picked at a stray thread on her quilt.

“But, I thought you liked him.” Ayaka protested. Ji Yeon yanked at the string, snapping it, and undoing a square of her quilt.

“I do, but I’m not going to force him to be here if he doesn’t want to, I’m not Hee Sun.”

*****

Hong Jun was in the garage with Minki and Hyun Joong. They were sitting in a circle in silence. What was there to be said? They didn’t know if Hee Sun or her mother were cooking anything up, Graduation was five weeks away, and Hong Jun didn’t know for sure whether he was going to be a father or not.

“So,” started Hong Jun, trying to break the tension. “If she is pregnant, have you given any thought as to what its name is going to be?” he asked. Hong Jun shook his head.

“I don’t even know,” he sighed. “I don’t think I’m ready.” He said. Minki threw a wrench.

“Of course you’re not ready to be a dad, you’re seventeen, who would be? She got you at a moment of weakness, and took advantage of you. I don’t care that she says you made the first move, she knew what she was doing.” Hong Jun shrugged. He wasn’t so upset about sleeping with her anymore. He was more worried about the fact that he would have to change his whole life in order to take care of another human being.

“Maybe I should go talk to her.” He stood up. He looked over at Minki.

“What are you gonna do after graduation?” he asked. Minki shrugged.

“Thought about running off to Italy to become a potter’s apprentice.” Hyun Joong’s eyes widened.

“Won’t your parents be pissed?” he asked. Mink shrugged.

“Doesn’t matter. I’m gonna live my life the way I want to. I might make a mistake or two here and there, but if I don’t find out for myself, I’ll regret it for the rest of my life.” He said, twirling a screwdriver in his hand. He looked over at Hyun Joong. “What about you?” he asked. Hyun Joong smiled.

“Heejun and I were thinking about going to America to go to college. We still haven’t done a lot of digging, but we want to go to New York.” He said. Hong Jun and Minki smiled.

“Joined at the hip like Siamese twins. Gonna have matching weddings too?” he asked. The boys dissolved in howls of laughter. Hong Jun shrugged.

“Only if Heejun agrees to cut his hair. Again. He’s starting to look like his old self again.”

“Homeless?” asked Minki. Hong Jun slapped his knee.

“A hippie!” the boys could barely breathe for laughter. Hyun Joong shrugged.

“Whatever happens, it’s gotta be better than staying here under Hee Sun or her mother’s thumb.” They all nodded.

“Can’t wait till he gets out of the hospital tomorrow, I haven’t seen him in ages, what with school and work and all,” said Minki. The others nodded. It would be nice to have their pal Heejun back in action.

*****

Hee Sun walked through the hospital halls. She made her way to Heejun’s room, and knocked as she opened the door.

“Heejun?” she looked in. the bed was neat and tidy, and there wasn’t a sign of him in sight. She lowered her head. It was too late. He was gone, back with Lexy. She turned to leave, when she heard a noise. The door to the bathroom opened.

Heejun was standing there in a tank top and loose jeans, secured with a belt. He donned his old sneakers. His hair was down to his shoulder blades, swept into his eyes. He looked at her, and stepped back in shock. “Hee Sun? What are you doing here?” he asked.

“I, I,” it had been awhile since she had been alone with him. She was at a loss for words. “I, um…I need to, ah,” she could feel his eyes boring into her. “I need to talk to you.” He shook his head.

“I don’t think that’s going to help, Hee Sun.” he said, grabbing his overnight bag from under a chair. He tried to pass her, but she grabbed him by his arm, and sat him down on the bed.

“You said that you wanted to get to know me better, that we should talk. Well then, let’s talk.” She said, sitting down next to him.

Outside the door, Lexy stopped. She was there. She had made it before her. What if she was right? What if she and Heejun got back together? Where would that leave her?

END OF CHAPTER 13