Places

Out With the Old and In With the New.

 

            “It’s your turn” he said his eyes on the road

“Oh yeah, I got nothing” I pouted, I laid my head on my arm which was hanging out the window, the breeze felt nice, the sun wasn’t too strong, everything was perfect.

I felt his eyes on me “You are really beautiful.”

I immediately turned red not because of compliment, but because it came from him. I turned to look at him his eyes now focused on the road

“Thank you, you’re beautiful too.”

He chuckled “Aish, little trouble maker you want me to tickle you again?”

I shook my head rapidly, which made him laugh. “Thought so”

I glared at him and stuck my tongue out, “You’re mean you know that? I was just returning the compliment.” 

“And you’re a stubborn you know that?” he teased “We’re here!”

Before I could give him a sassy response he got out of the car, I opened the door and found him on my side.

“I was going to open the door for you.” He said in a stern voice.

 “I can open doors, I have hands you know.” I mimicked his tone which caused him to smile.

“Listen, when you’re with me I’ll open the doors, pull out the chair, pay for things ok?” he looked into my eyes, he was serious.

“I don’t know if this is how they do it in Korea or if you’ve seen this in movies but I can do things for myself, I won’t break by opening a door.” I stared into his eyes and stuck out my tongue.

“Well, just incase you might break don’t do those things” he stuck his tongue right back out at me. “Now follow me.”

He grabbed my shoulders and led me to a boardwalk, we were at the beach, it was beautiful it was a little colder than in town but it was beautiful the never-ending horizon was breathtaking; I felt at ease this is where the sun and moon meet the ocean, it was the first time in the couple of days I've been in Korea that I felt my mind and body relaxed. We reached a bench on the boardwalk and sat down. The sky was perfect painted in reds, pinks, oranges and purple it was apart of Seoul that I didn’t see, serenity.

            "What do you think? I know it’s nothing fancy but I come here when I want to find peace, when things are getting crazy.”

“No, it’s beautiful it’s relaxing I get why you would come here, back home I had a place like this too, sometimes you have to be by yourself for a bit in order to make sense of things.”

He looked at me “You know I never showed this place to anyone before, but when I made the decision of taking you out I immediately thought of this place, I know it's no Namsan, or Lotte World. This place for me is probably better than any of those places, it's a place to escape" he took a sigh and looked out into the sunset. So he planned this, us hanging out together with no L.Joe, none of the other boys just him and I, we.

"It's really important to me." he said in a low voice.

 “I don’t know why but it is.”

He said the last part as if he was saying it to himself in a whisper, it felt like he was sharing a secret that no one knew about. I broke the silence.

"I like it here, I'm sure I would have liked the other places too but this place is just as important as the others. There aren’t a lot of people which is something I love and it just makes you think you know, that you're just playing a small part in this world. Thank you for bringing me here." I sighed, I felt his fingers graze mine on the bench, I looked up we looked into each others eyes it felt like forever then he broke the stare, he got up from his seat.

“I-I, I'm hungry, come on!” he held out his hand for me, not giving in I walked in front of him ignoring his hand

“Ya!” I heard him call out, I ran to the car, crap the door was closed I forgot we took his car. He came running towards me then stopped and put his hands on his knee.

“Ya, why were you running?” he gasped.

“Because it’s a good workout!” I smirked while leaning on the car door. He got up and walked towards me.

 “What are you trying to say I’m out of shape?” He raised his eyebrows.

 “No, I’m not trying to say anything just that it’s a good work out, Aish! Get your mind out the gutter.” I poked his forehead, he leaned in to me, he had me trapped between his chest and the car door, just then he brought his hand down towards my waist and I heard the passenger door open.

 “Get in.” he smirked.

What was he doing, I was literally turning into water under his presence. I got in the car and sulked in my chair. When he was settled in his seat he looked at me.

“Ya, why are you pouting?” he grinned, why am I pouting? Because you're playing mind games with me you skinny, out of shape boy!

“Me, I’m not pouting, this is my face when I’m hungry.” I pointed.

 He narrowed his eyes “You’re a bad liar you know that?” he started laughing.

“And you’re annoying you know that?” I slapped his arm he leaned into me again.

“Why would you get in a car with an annoying person.” He said in a lustful tone looking down at my lips. His hand reached over my head and grabbed my seatbelt and put it over my body. He did it again! What’s wrong with him what’s wrong with me? He leaned back to his seat and let out a chuckle and started the car.

“Pabo.” I muttered and looked out the window.

  After we finished eating, we decided to go to a park near my apartment building. I hadn’t realized how quickly time went by it felt like I was with him for only an hour and it was already almost midnight. I wanted to stay with him the whole night hear his laugh, or be able to see the look on his face when he is trying to figure something out.

"So how are your parents? What are they like?"

 "Well my mom she's a pain but I love her, I get my motherly tendencies from her. She is very organized and very independent she doesn't like depending on any man for anything."

He laughed and looked down at me "And your dad?"

I looked away, I don't talk about my father to anyone it's a painful subject, but I wanted to share things about my dad with him, "My dad died 2 years ago, he had cancer for a long time and it finally caught up to him. I didn't notice that he was sick until our final summer together. I was ignoring it I guess I didn't want to see my best friend leave me."

We stopped walking "I'm so sorry about your lost, If you don't want to talk about him you don't have to, I respect that." I looked at him and smiled, I liked him so much and I liked this.

 "No it's okay I don't mind actually, but to answer your question my dad was amazing he was funny and stubborn. He would sing old korean songs to me and tell me all about his girlfriends when he was younger and how he fell in love with my mom. He would take me everywhere with him. He was a hopeless romantic he believed in love at first sight and in unconditional love, he was my biggest fan and I was his."

I felt my eyes water and turned my head, Chunji grabbed my face in between his hands gently and gazed into my eyes "Don't be embarrassed to cry in front of me, you don't look weak in my eyes, you are probably one of the strongest people I've met. To keep smiling and being positive about life the way you are, that is a sign of strength." He leaned in and placed his lips on my forehead. All of a sudden I felt my knees weak, the tears clear away and I realized I was falling hard for him.

We decided to walk to my apartment from the park, it was a gorgeous day and to top it off it was accompanied by a peaceful night. The stars were shining bright we were walking in silence but it was comfortable, it was perfect.