What Happens Now?

The Waiting Period

“Hey, where did you guys go?” Youngjae asked as soon as he entered the dorm room to find Daehyun casually on his laptop on his bed.

          “What are you talking about?” Daehyun asked as he feigned innocence.

          “Don’t play stupid,” Youngjae said as he laid down on his own bed. “Why did you and Daeun ditch us and leave Yunhi and me to go to the zoo alone.”

          “You weren’t alone, you guys were together, and it wasn’t like the whole leaving thing was planned in the first place,” Daehyun said as he set his laptop aside and turned to look at Youngjae.

          “If it were up to me, it would seem as though you liked Daeun. Daehyun,” Youngjae said suddenly sat up, “do you like Daeun?”

          “Yes,” Daehyun nonchalantly said as he shrugged his shoulders. “Why? Is there something wrong?” he asked once he saw Youngjae’s shocked face.

          “What happened to Yunhi?” Youngjae wondered. He didn’t know why Daehyun would suddenly have a change of heart. Before Daehyun always talked about Yunhi and how he liked her, but it didn’t seem as though that was the case anymore. It seemed weird, at least to Youngjae it seemed weird.

          “I don’t know,” Daehyun said. “I just like Daeun.”

          “But she likes you…” Youngjae said as he stared at Daehyun. “Yunhi kept going on about how she likes you.”

          “That’s good for her.”

          “So you’re not planning on ever being together with her, are you?”

          “No,” Daehyun said shaking his head as he stood up from his bed. “You can have her if you want, but I’m going to go after Daeun. It’s what destiny has for us. Anyway, I’m going to go get some food, I’m hungry.”

          “What is he talking about?” Youngjae muttered as he watched Daehyun leave the room. “What destiny is he talking about?”

 

“So the paper is finally finished!” Yunhi yelled as she stretched in her seat during class. “We just have to hand that in for the first part and then we can start focusing all of our time on the presentation, since that is the most important part.”

          “But the presentation is basically the report,” Daehyun pointed out. “I mean, the presentation is only a bit more in depth than the report is, which sounds strange if you ask me.”

          “No one did,” Daeun snipped at Daehyun causing him to immediately look at her.

          “Anyway,” Youngjae said as he awkwardly looked back and forth from the two and then to Yunhi who was clueless about the entire situation. “At least this part is done, right?”

          “Right,” Yunhi said with a gigantic smile as she looked over at Daehyun. “Hey, do you guys want to hang out together after the zoo idea didn’t work out so well?”

          “Hang out how?” Daeun curiously asked.

          “I don’t know, I mean, it is the middle of the week so we can’t really do anything that extreme…” Yunhi said as she attempted to think about all of their options. “We could just all go out for a meal together. I think I know a good pizza place, at least one that I’ve heard of.”

          “I’m up for pizza,” Youngjae said with a smile. “And Daehyun, he’s always up for food, right?”

          “Um…I guess,” Daehyun said with a chuckle. “I like food. What about you, Daeun?”

          “Um…I guess,” Daeun hesitantly said. “I mean, if you’re there then I don’t really want to, but for Yunhi, I’ll go.”

          “Alright then, let’s go get pizza for dinner tonight. What time is everyone done?” Yunhi curiously asked.

          “Four,” Youngjae said. “I have a late lab tonight.”

          “Two,” Daehyun chimed in.

          “Three,” Daeun said.

          “Well I end at four, too, so we can meet at the dorms at five?” Yunhi suggested.

          “Sounds good,” everyone said as they nodded their heads.

          The rest of the classes passed swiftly for Daehyun, who was done the earliest out of everyone and since Daeun was done an hour after him, Daehyun waited for her in the lobby of the dorm building.

          “Ugh,” Daeun groaned at the sight of Daehyun sitting in the lobby. Quickly she attempted to turn around and go somewhere else, but Daehyun was too fast for her and caught up within no time. “What do you want?” Daeun asked once she realized that Daehyun probably wasn’t going to go, not when he had his hands on her shoulders.

          “Why are you acting like this nowadays?” Daehyun wondered.

          “What are you talking about?” Daeun asked as she attempted to brush the subject off.

          “Why are you acting as though you don’t like me?” Daehyun asked, clarifying the situation, which he knew that Daeun already realized. “I know you’re being mean to me like this on purpose, but why? You don’t have to be this mean.”

          “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Daeun continued to repeat as she avoided Daehyun’s gaze.

          “Well I do and that’s all that matters,” Daehyun said as he turned Daeun to look at him in the eyes. “A couple of days ago you told me that you liked me and now you’re acting as though you hate me.”

          “What do you expect me to do?”

          “I’m not expecting you to do anything, but just at least be a little nicer to me.”

          “A little nicer?” Daeun asked in confusion. “You want me to be a little nicer?”

          “At least you could try.”

          “But then wouldn’t Yunhi suspect something between us?”

          “I thought you said there was nothing going on between us,” Daehyun said with a gentle chuckle as he released his hands from Daeun’s shoulders.

          “Either way…I don’t want her to be heartbroken. She really does like you,” Daeun softly said. “She really does.”

          “She’ll end up being heartbroken in the end,” Daehyun said. “Because in the end I’m going to choose you, not her.”

          “How are you so sure?” Daeun asked as she looked at Daehyun. She thought he was crazy for thinking that he would choose her over Yunhi. “Feelings can change and who knows, you might like her more than you like me.”

          “I’m sure that’ll never happen,” Daehyun said with a smile as he shook his head and shoved his hands into his pockets.

          “How are you sure?”

          “Because I love you,” Daehyun flatly said as he turned to go back into the building.

          “Hey, where are you going?” Daeun called after him.

          “Inside,” Daehyun said as he pointed towards the doors. “We don’t have to meet up for like two more hours, you think I’m going to stay outside?”

          “Stupid Jung Daehyun,” Daeun muttered to herself as she watched him enter the building, but her thoughts were full of him. She didn’t know when it happened or why it happened, but one day she just looked at him and thought that she wanted to be together with him, that she liked him. However, Daeun knew that she couldn’t break Yunhi’s heart. Yunhi really liked him and they apparently liked each other ever since they went to school together. There was no way she was going to be able to steal him from her, even if he did like her.

 

“I’m sure you liked our little meddling,” Zelo said as he appeared right behind Daehyun in his room.

          “What are you talking about?” Daehyun asked without even batting an eye. “What meddling are you talking about?”

          “You didn’t seem to be getting anywhere with Daeun, seeing that she hated you,” Jongup started as he looked at Zelo.

          “So, we decided to make her like you for you,” Zelo said finishing the sentence.

          “You what?” Daehyun asked as he turned around to look at them. “You made Daeun like me?”

          “Yes,” Zelo and Jongup casually said as they nodded their heads.

          “You can do that?”

          “Yes,” they both said again in unison.

          “I didn’t know…but then why can’t you just fix what’s happening in the present? Why can’t you just make me not have a divorce?” Daehyun wondered.

          “There’s rules against that. There are many underlying rules to prevent something like that from happening,” Jongup explained.

          “There’s so many that we don’t feel like explaining them all,” Zelo said with a chuckle. “Anyway, we made her think that you’re attractive.”

          “So that’s why she suddenly started acting like that,” Daehyun muttered to herself as he thought of Daeun saying that she liked him. Even at that moment, even though he was happy about it, it was quite shocking since she did have a dislike towards him. “But why did you do that?”

          “It seemed like it would take much longer than six months for Daeun to even become a good friend or something,” Jongup said with a shrug of his shoulders. “So, we thought we’d just speed things up a little bit.”

          “But I still have to make her fall in love with me, right? And I still have to figure out about these things regarding Yunhi, right?” Daehyun asked.

          “Yes,” Zelo said nodding his head. “You still have to figure out those things yourself. We’re sticking our necks out on the line for you.”

          “Well I didn’t know that a time traveling fairy was an occupation,” Daehyun mumbled.

          “Yes it is,” Jongup said. “It’s a fairly new occupation, at least from where we’re from.”

          “And where are you from?”

          “Not allowed to tell. But anyway, we’re just stopping by to keep you up to date on some things,” Zelo said as he started towards the exit with Jongup.

          “Keep me up to date? You haven’t kept me up to date with anything.”

          “Really? We haven’t?” Jongup asked as he looked at Zelo who just shrugged his shoulders. “Anyway, we have to go now, we have another engagement.”

          “Um…okay?” Daehyun asked.

          “We’ll see you soon,” Zelo said with a smile and a wave before he and Jongup left.

          “Weirdoes,” Daehyun muttered to himself as he continued surfing the internet, the activity that he was doing before Jongup and Zelo decided to make their unexpected appearance.

          “Hey, are you getting ready to go?” Youngjae asked as he entered their room.

          “Yup,” Daehyun said without taking his eyes off of the computer screen.

          “Yes because just staring at the internet is getting ready to go,” Youngjae said as he rolled his eyes.

          “What else am I supposed to do?” Daehyun wondered. “I mean, we’re not meeting for another hour, so how in the world would someone get ready for an hour?”

          “True…I guess it’s just because I just came back from classes,” Youngjae said with a nervous chuckle. “Anyway, I’m going to go to the bathroom.”

          “Thanks for telling me?” Daehyun asked as he heard Youngjae’s feet leave towards the bathroom, only to come running back a moment later. “I thought you said you were going to the bathroom,” Daehyun said as he turned to look at the doorway. “Is there something wrong?”

          “It’s Yunhi,” Youngjae said with wide eyes.

          “What about her?”

          “She got hit by a car.”

          “What?” Daehyun asked as he immediately stood up. “What happened?”

          “I’m not sure,” Youngjae said as he began gathering his jacket. “Daeun just called saying that she’s in the hospital. I’m not entirely sure how she found out either, but she said we can come on over.”

          “Okay,” Daehyun said as he began rummaging through his things to find his jacket. “Let’s go.”

          Quickly, Daehyun and Youngjae went to the hospital and made their way to the fifth floor where Daeun said she was waiting. “Daeun,” Youngjae said as soon as he saw her.

          Immediately seeing the guys, Daeun stood up and went over to meet them. “Guys, Yunhi…she got hit by a car…”

          “What happened?” Daehyun anxiously asked.

          “I don’t know, I’m assuming she was walking back to the dorms and someone like ran a red light or something. I don’t know,” Daeun frantically said.

          “Where is she now?” Youngjae asked as he looked around.

          “I don’t know,” Daeun said as she shook her head. “The doctors took her somewhere and I gave them all the information that I knew about her parents and stuff, but I don’t know, I really don’t know. What if something bad happened to her?”

          “Nothing bad happened,” Daehyun said as he slowly pulled Daeun in for a hug. “Nothing bad happened to her, I promise.”

          “How are you so sure? How are you so sure that nothing bad happened to her?” Daeun wondered.

          “What’s the worst that can happen?” Daehyun asked as he attempted to keep a positive outlook on the whole situation.

          “Daeun, things will be okay, and when Yunhi wakes up, things will be okay,” Youngjae said with a gentle smile.

          “They’ll be okay,” Daehyun whispered as he patted Daeun’s back. “They have to be okay.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will everything be okay? What will happen to Daeun and Yunhi? What will happen with Daehyun and Youngjae? Will Daehyun be able to get Daeun on his side?

 

Here's Chapter 9. Hope you enjoyed :D