Time Travel Experts?

The Waiting Period

 

“You take so long,” Yongguk scolded Daehyun as soon as he emerged from the bathroom.

          “Sorry,” Daehyun muttered. “I guess…I’ll get going to class?”

          “You have to wait for all of us, we all have the same class,” Yongguk said. “What has gotten into you this morning?”

          “Sorry,” he apologized again. “I’m just…forgetful and tired. You know, not wanting to go to classes and stuff.”

          “Yeah, yeah,” Yongguk muttered. “Just gather your stuff and wait for us.”

          “Alright,” Daehyun said nodding his head as he returned back to his room. As soon as he figured that he was alone, he began looking around the room for a schedule of some sort as his mind was in a frenzy. Daehyun didn’t know what was going on. He didn’t know why he was suddenly waking up with Yongguk and he didn’t know why he was going to university, he had graduated from university a while ago and going again surely wasn’t going to do anything.

          After throwing some things to different places, Daehyun finally found what he was looking for, his schedule. “English, math…blah…blah,” he muttered as he looked at his classes for that day. Thankfully there weren’t that many, only three or four and he figured that he would be able to live through them, it wasn’t like he hadn’t before.

          “Daehyun, what are you doing?” Youngjae asked as he walked into the bedroom.

          “Youngjae,” Daehyun said sighing in relief as he looked at his good friend. “What did we drink last night?”

          “Drink?” Youngjae asked looking at him with a puzzled expression. “We didn’t drink anything…”

          “What? What are you talking about? You and I went out to drink last night because of my divorce,” Daehyun said with a half-hearted laugh.

          “Divorce? Since when were you married?” he asked as he went over to his bed and began gathering the things that he needed before he slung his backpack on his shoulder and walked back towards the door. “Jung Daehyun, stop joking around,” he said before he left the room leaving Daehyun standing there in confusion.

          If Youngjae didn’t remember drinking and about his marriage, then something was definitely off. Daehyun could feel that things weren’t right, but he didn’t know what. “I couldn’t have gone back in time…I couldn’t have,” Daehyun muttered to himself as he looked at his arm, searching for a scratch that he had gotten after playing with Taehyun one day, but the scratch wasn’t there. “Strange…” he muttered, but still, Daehyun didn’t believe that he had gone back in time. He didn’t believe that it was humanly possible for another person to go back in time.

          “Let’s go!” Yongguk yelled throughout the house causing Daehyun to jump.

          “Coming!” Daehyun called back as he quickly grabbed his stuff and ran towards the door. Even if he had gone back or not, Yongguk was always still the same.

 

While they were walking to class, everyone noticed Daehyun’s quietness. It wasn’t that they didn’t like some quiet time here or there, but it was surprising. Normally the only reason that Daehyun wouldn’t talk would be because of something that had happened that he was angry at, but as far as they knew, he wasn’t angry at them for anything. Even if they all thought that it was strange that Daehyun wasn’t talking, none of them would say anything about it since they didn’t want to anger him anymore, if he was angry.

          However, Daehyun took notice to the staring that was happening around him. He didn’t know why they were staring at him, did they know all about the time travel thing? Still, Daehyun couldn’t believe it. Why in the world would he time travel? There was no possible way. But there was no better way to explain what had just happened to him. One moment he was getting a divorce from his wife and the next he was transported back to college. He was sure that he hadn’t woken up from a strange dream, everything was too real to be waking up from a strange dream.

          “Are you…okay?” Youngjae asked, being the first one to speak up from the group.

          “You seem out of it today, is it because of class?” Yongguk asked.

          “Um…yeah,” Daehyun said nodding his head. He had no idea what else he would be able to say. Surely the rest of the guys would think that he was crazy for saying something relating to time travel. “Just because of class.”

          “Hey just think, you might be able to see that girl that you like,” Himchan chimed in.

          “Girl?” Daehyun asked turning to look at him. He had no idea what kind of girl Himchan was talking about. Was this what Daeun meant by wanting to divorce him? She had always told him, in the fights that led up to their divorce, that he was a playboy who only cared about how many girls he could get instead of finding a quality girl, was that what she meant? That he had too many?

          “C’mon, you couldn’t have forgotten about her,” Youngjae said as he slung his arm around Daehyun’s shoulder. “You always talked about her all of the time.”

          “Yeah,” Yongguk said chiming into the conversation. “You always talked about how you wanted to get together with her and now that we’re going to the same university well, now’s your chance.”

          “My chance,” Daehyun said as a smile crept up on his face. He wondered why he didn’t think of it earlier, it was his chance, his chance to be able to win Daeun back and maybe not have her divorce him anymore. It was a chance for him to be able to rebuild his relationship with Daeun and make it stronger than it ever was before.

          “There she is,” Youngjae whispered into Daehyun’s ear as they neared their first class.

          Excitedly, Daehyun looked to see where Youngjae was nodding with his head and saw a girl that wasn’t Daeun. Daehyun wanted to ask who the girl was, but he figured that maybe that wouldn’t be the appropriate thing to ask, considering that he was supposed to like the girl. Even so, despite how much he was supposed to like her, Daehyun couldn’t remember her. He couldn’t remember anything about her, he didn’t even remember her name.

          “Go and talk with her,” Himchan said as he gently elbowed him.

          “Uhh…I think not,” Daehyun said as he attempted to get himself out of it. He didn’t know how he would create a good excuse to not talk to her, but it seemed like his friends were not going to stop any time soon.

          “Why not?” Yongguk asked. “You always talked about her in high school, now is the time for you to be able to talk with her. We’re fully functioning adults now in the real world.”

          “Fully functioning adults in the real world,” Daehyun repeated as he mentally scoffed. He wondered how he was able to get through college with that type of mindset since college life was nothing like the real world. The real world had problems in it and there was always the right and wrong time that Daeun would always scold him on. If Daehyun remembered anything, it was that college life was nothing like the real world.

          “Right,” Yongguk said with a wide smile as Daehyun repeated after him. “So, you should go talk to her.”

          Suddenly, Yongguk pushed Daehyun towards the girl, but in the process, caused Daehyun to knock into someone that was coming out of the door. “Oh, I’m so sorry, I’m so sorry,” Daehyun immediately said as he turned around and helped the girl up from the ground. Thankfully she was wearing a backpack so it wasn’t like he knocked any books down or anything.

          “It’s alright, I mean, you should’ve been the one knocked into from the door, right?” the girl asked as she got back up on her own two feet as she ignored Daehyun’s help. “Just make sure that you don’t do it again, alright?”

          “Yes,” Daehyun said as he looked at the girl for the first time and his eyes slightly went wider. “Nam Daeun,” he whispered to himself.

          “Excuse me?” the girl asked looking at him. “Do I know you?”

          “Um…no,” Daehyun quickly said.

          “I could swear that you said my name though,” Daeun said as she eyed Daehyun up an down.

          “I didn’t, why would I?” Daehyun asked her. “I don’t even know your name.”

          “Right,” she said with a sigh, but her eyes never left Daehyun.

          “Daeun, let’s go!” a girl called. Daehyun saw that it was the same girl that he supposedly liked, according to his friends.

          “I’m coming Yunhi!” Daeun called back before she looked at the boys one last time. “I have to get going, hope to not see you around any time soon.”

          With that, Daeun left the boys standing there flabbergasted, especially Daehyun. He couldn’t believe that that had just happened. Now that Daehyun thought about it more, he remembered Daeun being slightly feisty when he met her, but he didn’t think that he met her that way. He thought that they sat next to each other in the same class and just automatically clicked. And while that may have been the way that they originally met each other, something inside told Daehyun that that wasn’t how they met anymore. It was like the memory was slowly getting erased of how they originally met.

          “Well, someone’s rude,” Himchan scoffed as he watched Daeun and Yunhi walk away from each other.

          “Rude, Daehyun, now’s your chance!” Youngjae excitedly said as he lightly hit Daehyun once again causing Daehyun to give him a glare.

          “What chance?” Daehyun asked.

          “The chance to get closer to Yunhi, get close to that girl.”

          “That girl? Why in the world would he get closer to her?” Himchan asked. “She was completely rude to him.”

          “Just a suggestion,” Youngjae said as he stuck his tongue out at the older one.

          “Let’s just…get to class,” Daehyun suggested as he looked at his schedule and the time on his phone.

          “Right, let’s just do that,” Yongguk said seconding the stance.

          However, as the boys started to walk away, Daehyun couldn’t take his eyes off of his phone, he kept looking at the year. There was no way that it was right, there couldn’t have been, but he guessed that time traveling must’ve happened since the year was five years ago.

 

“Now class, we’re going to have only one project for the entire term,” the teacher announced. As soon as she announced that, cheers could be heard from around the classroom. “But,” the teacher continued, “it’s going to be broken up into three separate parts. Now, you’re also going to be in teams and I’ve already assigned your teams.”

          “Great,” Youngjae said rolling his eyes as he thumped his head against the desk in front of him.

          “Now, I will read the groups,” their teacher said as she began reading the list of groups to the class that had no more than thirty people in it.

          Daehyun sat at his desk and listened for his name, while also keeping a close eye on Daeun and Yunhi, who looked like they were talking intently about something. Daehyun was curious to know, but when he saw Daeun look his way, he immediately shifted his eyes somewhere else. Daehyun hadn’t exactly remembered being so afraid of Daeun in the past.

          “Jung Daehyun,” the teacher read, “Kim Yunhi, and Nam Daeun. You three are a group.”

          “Yes!” Daehyun heard Yunhi whisper in excitement as she looked at Daeun, but Daeun looked in Daehyun’s direction, giving a not so nice glare. Daehyun sighed. He didn’t know what he had done to receive that kind of attention from Daeun, but he guessed that it was because he knocked her down earlier and that he had given a bad first impression to the girl. He wondered that if they were ever on that bad of terms how in the world they managed to get married, but then he thought that that was probably what led to their breakup anyway.

          “Are you paying attention?” Youngjae asked as he poked Daehyun against for the umpteenth time that morning.

          “No,” Daehyun flatly said as he looked from the teacher to Daehyun. “What are we supposed to do?”

          “We’re supposed to go to our groups and it looks like your group mates are coming this way. Have fun with Yunhi,” Youngjae said with a quick wave while he went over to join his group mates.

          “Course,” Daehyun muttered under his breath as he quickly put away the papers that he didn’t need in his backpack before getting out a notebook and the syllabus that the group would need.

          “Hello, I’m Kim Yunhi, but you already know that,” Yunhi said with a laugh as she looked at Daehyun.

          “Yeah,” Daehyun said nodding his head.

          “You know him?” Daeun asked looking back and forth from Yunhi to Daehyun.

          “Yeah, we went to high school together,” Yunhi calmly said.

          “Oh,” Daeun said.

          “Now introduce yourself,” Yunhi said pushing Daeun.

          “I’m Nam Daeun,” Daeun said looking at Daehyun. “We met this morning.”

          “Yeah,” Daehyun repeated.

          “Such a lively group we have here,” Daeun said as she rolled her eyes.

          “Hey, it’s the first day, go lightly on him,” Yunhi said as she scolded her best friend.

          “Fine, fine, fine,” Daeun said as she got out her notebook. “Let’s just talk about what we have to do and splitting up the jobs between us before we talk about anything else.”

          Quickly the half an hour passed and the class completed itself, but not before the teacher reminded them that by the following week they would have to have their proposal contract in for the group. “I’ll be emailing all of you the information and possible meeting dates,” Daeun said before the group of three departed the classroom.     

          “It’s fine by me,” Yunhi said. “You already know my cell phone number, too.”

          “Yeah, fine by me,” Daehyun said nodding his head. “I have to get going. I have to go to math. Just contact me through email.”

          “Alright,” Daeun said in confirmation of what Daehyun said.

          As Daehyun walked out of one building and into the other where he had math, he wondered how in the world he was transferred back in time and why. Surely things weren’t playing out how they played out five years ago, things were different, Daehyun knew at least that much. However, he didn’t know what he was supposed to do. Why did he time travel? What was his purpose of going back to university and just meeting Daeun?

          “You’re supposed to get back together with her and mend your relationship, idiot,” a voice said behind Daehyun causing him to freeze in his spot and slowly turn around.

          “Who are you?” he asked staring at the two figures that were staring back at him with goofy smiles on their faces.

          “I’m Choi Junhong,” the first boy said. “But I normally go by Zelo.”

          “And I’m Moon Jongup,” the second boy said. “And I normally go by Jongup.”

          “And we’re your time travel experts!” they both yelled in unison.

          “What in the world,” Daehyun muttered as he stared at the two.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are Zelo and Jongup going to do? Why is Daehyun in the past? How will things go with Yunhi, Daeun, and Daehyun? Will Daeun and Daehyun get back together?

 

Here's Chapter 2. Hope you enjoyed :D

 

And I hope you're all enjoying the story so far...it's my first time writing about time traveling.

And if it doesn't make sense now, it'll make sense later, don't worry :)