Undefined Relationship

The Waiting Period

Daehyun and Youngjae sat in the library together as they waited for Yunhi and Daeun to show up to work on their project together. “Hey, do you want me to get Daeun away from you so you could have alone time with Yunhi?” Youngjae curiously asked.

          “Huh? What are you talking about?” Daehyun asked as he stared at his friend.

          “You really seem forgetful lately,” Youngjae commented as he began turning the pages in his book. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

          “I’m sure, I’m fine,” Daehyun said giving him a smile.

          A couple of days had passed since he was transformed back in time and nothing else happened to him. Daehyun thought it was strange that he would be going back just to fix his relationship with Daeun. He didn’t see the purpose in being sent back in time and thought that it was just a hassle to have to relive everything, but he guesses that it was maybe for a reason. However, those time travel experts of his won’t tell him the reason or anything about the whole time travel business. Thinking of them again, Daehyun realized that he hadn’t seen them for a couple of days and wondered when they were going to appear out of nowhere again. Would he go as far as saying that he missed them? Of course not, but Daehyun could just say that he missed their semblance of an attempt at guiding him along.

          “Jung Daehyun, you aren’t listening to me again,” Youngjae complained.

          “Huh?” Daehyun asked as he looked at Youngjae with a clueless face.

          “Aish,” Youngjae muttered. “Oh look, they’re coming.”

        Daehyun turned around and saw Yunhi and Daeun both coming their way with big smiles on their faces. “Hey Daehyun,” Yunhi said as she took a seat next to Daehyun.

          “Oh, hi,” Daehyun flatly greeted her as his eyes wandered over to Daeun. Daehyun wanted to get close to her, but he couldn’t find a way to. After all, it seemed like Daeun hated him already and they hadn’t even spent any time alone together.

          “Hmm…shall we read the chapter?” Daeun wondered as she pulled out the syllabus to look at the requirements for the project.

          “I already read it,” Youngjae said as he took out his notebook and showed it to everyone. “I already read it and took notes on it.”

          “Go Youngjae,” Yunhi said with a proud smile on her face as she looked at him.

          “Overachiever,” Daehyun muttered under his breath which earned a little snicker out of Daeun. “At least it’s a snicker,” he whispered to himself as he picked up his book. He was glad that at least Daeun didn’t seem like she was completely ignoring him. Somehow, though, he had to get her alone and show her that he wasn’t that bad of a guy. It was just the question of how he was going to get her alone when she always seemed to be with Yunhi, his apparent crush.

          “Well then Youngjae can be in charge of all of the information,” Yunhi said as she looked at a list that she created. “Daehyun, do you and Daeun want to be in charge of setting up the presentation?”

          “Huh?” Daehyun and Daeun asked at the same time.

          “Why are you making me work with him?” Daeun complained.

          “Why am I working with her?” Daehyun immediately asked afterwards so it didn’t seem as though he really wanted that opportunity.

          “Because you two have this type of relationship,” Yunhi said as she pointed at the two of them. “By you two collaborating on making the presentation, I’m sure you guys will grow. Who knows, maybe even love might blossom between you two.”

          “Um no!” Daeun said as she glared at Daehyun who only could glare back. If anybody knew about his feelings for Daeun, Daehyun would surely be dead by not only his friends, but by Daeun.

          “C’mon, I already wrote that you two were going to do it,” Yunhi said showing her friend the list.

          “What about you?” Daeun wondered. “What are you going to do for the group then?”

          “I’m going to be helping Youngjae compile the information.”

          “Why can’t we switch?” Daeun whined. She didn’t want to work with Daehyun under any circumstances. There was just something about him that she didn’t like and although Daeun couldn’t put her fingertip on it, she was entirely sure that she didn’t want to find out that particular part. The only way she could do that, though, was to stay away from him entirely. The project was just making things worse.

          “We have three components to the project,” Yunhi started to explain. “You and Daehyun are going to work on the biggest ones together while Youngjae and I work on the other two.”

          “Then that means that Daeun and I are also presenting together,” Daehyun said.

          “Ding dong daeng!” Yunhi said as she waved her finger. “I knew you were smart. Anyway, let’s stop wasting time and just start.”

          “Yunhi,” Daeun said getting her attention. “How are Daehyun and I supposed to do anything when we don’t have the information?”

 

“Well, it seems like you and Daeun have something against each other,” Youngjae said as he and Daehyun were walking back to their dorm.

          “I wouldn’t say that we have something against each other…” Daehyun said as he attempted to find the right words. “I’d just say that we clash a lot.”

          “Hey, well you know what they say about people that clash a lot, right?” Youngjae asked.

          “What do they say?” Daehyun asked, mostly just to amuse Youngjae.

          “They say that they’re polar opposites and that they’re going to fall in love in the future.”

          “Me and Daeun?” Daehyun asked as he attempted to pretend that he hated the thought. “No way.”

          “I knew you were crushing on Yunhi really hard,” Youngjae said as he slung his arm over Daehyun’s shoulder. “It’s alright to like someone a lot, practically love.”

          “Youngjae—”

          “I mean you should totally ask her out, I think she might be into you, too.”

          “Ya! Youngjae!” Daehyun yelled, a bit too loudly since it earned the glares of some of the other students. “Anyway,” Daehyun said softening up as they entered their dorm building, “I don’t think I should date Yunhi. After thinking about it, we’re in college, you know? Why should we date someone that we’ve known for forever? There are plenty of girls out there that we can get to know and we’re in college now.”

          “Because,” Youngjae said as they continued to the elevator, “because you’ve known them forever, that’s why. I mean, hey, you know people for a longer time and then you know more things about them so then maybe dating them wouldn’t seem that bad.”

          “Who knew that Youngjae had some philosophy in him,” Daehyun said with a snicker as they got off on their floor and made their way towards their room where Himchan and Yongguk were watching television.  

          “Look who finally got up,” Youngjae said as he put his backpack on a chair and sat down. “What are you watching?”

          “War movie,” Yongguk said without even looking up at the two boys.

          “How long has it been on?” Daehyun curiously asked as he looked at the screen and saw someone get shot, which made him flinch a little bit.

          “Hours,” Himchan monotonously replied.

          “Anyway,” Youngjae said getting up from the chair and grabbing his backpack again. “Daehyun and I will be in our room doing…not weird things.”

          “Alright,” Yongguk said as he put his hand up signing that he understood.

          “War movies,” Daehyun said rolling his eyes as he plopped onto his bed on his back. “Yongguk-hyung always did like to watch them.”

          “I just can’t believe that Himchan-hyung is watching them with him. He normally never watches them,” Youngjae says with a chuckle. “Anyway, I still think you should date Yunhi.”

          “Youngjae,” Daehyun warningly said as he glared at him. “I’m not going to date Yunhi.”

          “Why? Is there some other girl that’s been catching your eye lately?”

          “Why does it always have to be—,” Daehyun began before he was cut off by Youngjae.

          “Is it Daeun?”

          “What are you talking about,” Daehyun scoffed as he sat up and stared at Youngjae. “There’s no way that I like Daeun. Her and I…we just don’t get along with one another.”

          “Like I said before,” Youngjae said as he took a seat at his desk. “Opposites attract. I make a bet that you and Daeun are going to get together in the future and live happily ever after.”

          “Whatever you say,” Daehyun said as he got off of his bed. “I’m hungry, I’m going to get some food.”

          Daehyun left Youngjae in the room as he went out to the kitchen to get some food, ignoring Himchan and Yongguk who were still intently watching movies, or maybe it was just the historical channel, Daehyun honestly didn’t know and he didn’t really care.

          As he sat eating some ramen, Daehyun began to think. He wanted to tell someone about the time travel business, but he knew that no one would probably believe him and there was no way to make someone believe him. It wasn’t like there were two Daehyuns running around, the past and the future ones. It was only him, he was only one person and that meant that no one would believe his time travel.

          With Youngjae’s new theory on Daeun and Daehyun, Daehyun knew that if he were to tell Youngjae about how he did get married to Daeun in the future and how he has a son with her that Youngjae would just laugh and say that Daehyun does like her. Not that that’s necessarily a lie…

          After finishing his ramen, Daehyun decided that maybe it was time to go for a walk around campus. It was the weekend after all and there wasn’t really anything to do. Sure he had homework, but he didn’t necessarily want to do it at that moment, there were other things to worry about.

          There were people that were reading books, talking with one another, and playing soccer as Daehyun walked through the Quad. “Maybe I should make more friends,” Daehyun said as he looked at all of the people happily playing with one another and it was then that he noticed a girl sitting by herself under a tree reading a book.  “Nam Daeun,” Daehyun said as he slowly approached her.

          “Jung Daehyun,” Daeun said as she looked up from her book, “what a pleasure to leave you.”

          “Wait a minute,” Daehyun said as he grabbed onto Daeun’s arm to prevent her from leaving, Daehyun figured that he couldn’t just let all of their days be like that, just pretending not to even know each other. They should at least be friendly with one another if they were going to work on the project together and have to present together. The group was never going to get a good grade if they were always fighting with one another.

          “What is it?” Daeun asked, slightly annoyed at Daehyun since he was holding her back.

          “Let’s just talk for a moment,” Daehyun offered.

          “Why should I talk with you?”

          “Please?” Daehyun asked, slightly begging.

          Daeun just stared at Daehyun for a moment before sighing. “Okay, just let go of me,” she said as she freed her arm from Daehyun’s grip. “But only for a moment, I have other things I need to be doing, other people that I need to meet.”

        “Got it,” Daehyun said nodding his head before he continued, “we can’t be ignoring ach other forever, right?”

          “We’re not ignoring,” Daeun began to explain, “we’re talking right now. How is this ignoring one another?”

          “Fine, we’re not ignoring, we’re just not on good terms,” Daehyun said as he began to reword the phrase. “I mean, we fight all the time and just plain don’t like each other.”

          “I don’t see what’s wrong with that.”

          “Why don’t we just become friends?” Daehyun asked.

          “I don’t think people become friends with one another by simply proposing it.”

          “Right, it is kind of strange,” Daehyun said as he awkwardly scratched the back of his head, earning a slight smile from Daeun. “Hey look, you smiled. That must mean some improvement in our relationship, right?”

          “Maybe,” Daeun said as she rolled her eyes at Daehyun. “I wouldn’t go as far to call us friends.”

          “Then acquaintances?” Daehyun offered. “We aren’t necessarily nice to each other, but we aren’t mean to each other either.”

          “I’m not entirely sure that that’s the definition of acquaintances,” Daeun said.

          “Can’t you just accept it?” Daehyun asked.

          “Accept what?”

          “That we’re just people who come in contact with one another sometimes. Let’s just not bash on one another and if we see each other let’s say hi. We don’t have to be friends, we don’t have to be strangers, though.”

          “And why should I do this for you?”

          “Don’t think about doing it for me, think about doing it for the group,” Daehyun said. “Think about improving our relationship for the betterment of the group. I mean since we are the two presenting the information, we’re supposed to have a good relationship with one another or everyone that’s watching will know that we don’t get along if we give off a negative vibe.”

          “I guess you’re right on that…” Daeun muttered. As much as she didn’t want to admit it, Daehyun did have a good point. The two of them had to work well together as a group and they were the only two that didn’t get along with one another. If they could at least make their relationship a bit better, then maybe the entire atmosphere of the group would be better, and thus a better grade. Daeun was all about getting good grades in college and she definitely didn’t want anything to hold her back.

          “See?” Daehyun asked. “So then we’re acquaintances? A little more than acquaintances?”

          “We’re…undefined,” Daeun said after thinking about what word to describe their relationship.

          “Okay, to undefined,” Daehyun said as he stuck out his hand.

          “To an undefined relationship,” Daeun said as she shook Daehyun’s hand.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How will Daehyun and Daeun's relationship get to the next level? Will Youngjae keep pushing for Daehyun to get with Yunhi? Will Daehyun and Daeun be able to work harmonously together? Will Daehyun be able to fix his marriage with Daeun?

 

Here's Chapter 6. Hope you enjoyed :D