Promises and Kindness

The Waiting Period

“She’s okay,” Youngjae sighed as he went back to where Daehyun and Daeun were sitting in the waiting room. He had just gotten back from talking with Yunhi’s parents about her condition and they explained that she was okay, just some bruising and a broken arm. “We can go back to the dorm now, it’s getting pretty late.”

          “Yeah,” Daehyun sighed as he looked at Daeun’s sleeping figure. “I’ll wake her up, you can go ahead first.”

          “Alright,” Youngjae said with a nod of his head as he left the hospital.

          “Daeun…Daeun,” Daehyun said as he softly shook her.

          “Hmm?” Daeun hummed as she slowly opened her eyes, but when she saw that she was leaning against Daehyun’s shoulder, she quickly jumped up in her seat. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to,” she began to mutter before Daehyun chuckled.

          “It’s alright. Youngjae came back saying that Yunhi is fine, that she just has some bruising and a broken arm. We can go back to the dorm.”

          “But I want to stay here with her.”

          “Her parents are here, she’s under good care. C’mon,” Daehyun said as he stood up and offered his hand to Daeun.

          Hesitantly Daeun looked at his hand before she looked at the clock on the wall. It was already getting late and she had an early class the next day. Without saying a word, Daeun placed her hand gently into his before Daehyun started leading the way back to the dorm.

          The both of them were silent during the ride. Daehyun wanted to ask Daeun if she was okay about everything, but he couldn’t bring himself to. He felt that that would just be something awkward to talk about during their ride and he was certain that Daeun was already upset enough about the whole thing and he shouldn’t say anything to make her even more upset.

          “I can go with you to our class tomorrow,” Daehyun offered as he dropped Daeun off at her room.

          “Alright, if you wish,” Daeun said with a faint smile. “Um…thank you…Jung Daehyun.”

          “No problem Nam Daeun. Goodnight.”

          “Goodnight,” Daeun said before entering her room and closing the door.

          Once Daehyun made sure she was in her room, he turned back to go to his own dorm, only to be greeted by Yongguk and Himchan. “Our Daehyunnie is coming back late,” Himchan said as he looked at Yongguk. “Do you think he was out with a girlfriend? Jung Daehyun, do you have a girlfriend we don’t know about?”

          “No I don’t have a girlfriend you don’t know about,” Daehyun scoffed as he walked right past them. “I was out with a friend.”

          “Was it a female friend?” Yongguk curiously wondered.

          “Maybe, maybe it wasn’t,” Daehyun said shrugging his shoulders.

          “I think it was,” Himchan said in a sing-song voice. “Who knows, maybe Daehyun might get married to this girl.”

          “Hyung, it’s a bit early to be thinking about marriage,” Daehyun complained. “Instead of worrying about me finding a girlfriend why don’t you guys think about finding yourselves one?”

          “And one point for Daehyun,” Yongguk said with a smile as Daehyun entered his room.

          “What was that out there?” Youngjae asked as Daehyun entered their bedroom.

          “Just Himchan-hyung and Yongguk-hyung being their normal selves,” Daehyun sighed. “They’re nagging me about finding a girlfriend again. Why is everyone so caught up on that?”

          “Because you’ve only been talking about the same girl for all of high school,” Youngjae said like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

          “Well maybe it’s time to like someone else.”

          “Like someone else? Who else would you like?”

          “Never mind,” Daehyun said shaking his head. “We should get to bed, it’s been quite a long day we’ve had.”

          “Alright,” Youngjae said. “I just hope everything’s alright with Yunhi. Daeun seemed really upset about the whole thing.”

          “I would be upset if you got into a car crash,” Daehyun said as he started getting himself ready for bed.

          “Aww,” Youngjae said as he ran over and hugged Daehyun. “I would be upset, too.”

          “Get off of me,” Daehyun sighed as he tried to push Youngjae off of him.

          The next morning Daehyun awoke to the sound of his alarm and looked over at the clock to see that it was already seven in the morning. Thankfully the lecture that he had to sit through didn’t start until eight so he had a little time to get ready and eat breakfast before he had to meet Daeun.

          “Why are you up so early?” Youngjae grumbled at the sound of the alarm.

          “I have a class,” Daehyun said as he took a quick glance over the boy. “Just go back to sleep.”

          Without saying anything else, Youngjae went back to sleep and Daehyun continued getting ready for the day. He wondered how Daeun’s condition was going to be and he worried about whether or not she would be able to make it through the day. Thankfully Yunhi’s accident wasn’t serious, but it was probably very nerve wracking for Daeun since she was her best friend. As far as Daehyun could remember, he never knew that Daeun was easily shaken up by such events. To him it always seemed like she was the strong one and was able to hold her own. He guessed that inside she was also fragile and he couldn’t imagine how much she was probably holding in over the years. It made him feel bad and regretful about the entire thing.

          At a quarter to eight, Daehyun went into the elevator and arrived at Daeun’s door. After a couple of knocks, the door slowly opened to reveal Daeun still in her pajamas. “Oh, it’s you,” Daeun said as she looked at Daehyun.

          “Hey, are you alright?” Daehyun worriedly asked. “You don’t look very well.”

          “I’m fine,” Daeun said giving a faint smile. “I’m not going to go to class today.”

          “Oh, well do you want me to do something for you?”

          “What would you be able to do?”

          “I don’t know, keep you company?” Daehyun offered. “If you want to, we could go to the hospital.”

          “No,” Daeun said shaking her head. “It would just be wasting everyone’s time. Plus I already got a text from her saying that she’ll be released either today or tomorrow, that she’s fine and it wasn’t anything major, thankfully.”

          “Good, good,” Daehyun said as he nodded his head. “So do you want to get ready to go to class? I mean, we can still make it if you hurry up and we run.”

          “I’ll be ready in a minute. I guess Yunhi would be upset if I missed class just for her,” Daeun said as she slowly closed the door to get changed.

          “Why were you so shaken up about the accident?” Daehyun asked as they were going to lunch.

          “Being in hospitals scare me,” Daeun slowly admitted.

          “Does it?” Daehyun asked in surprise. He was honestly surprised at the answer. Once he and Daeun had gotten married, she never seemed afraid of the hospital whenever they went. After all, they delivered their son in a hospital, but she never seemed nervous. However, Daehyun just figured that that was because she was giving birth at that time and had other things to worry about rather than being in a hospital. Still, though, it was news to him, it was something else he didn’t recognize about Daeun for all those years.

          “I mean…just being in them makes me nervous.”

          “Why?”

          “I had a bad experience once.”

          “Oh,” Daehyun said not wanting to ask any more questions since he was afraid that he would further upset Daeun.

          But even once they got to their class, Daehyun couldn’t stop thinking about what the bad experience might possibly be. He couldn’t remember Daeun even mentioning having a bad experience in a hospital before and he further realized how much he actually didn’t know about Daeun. Daehyun also wondered what else he didn’t know about Daeun that he thought he knew.

          “Um…Daeun,” Daehyun said before they went separate ways.

          “Yeah?” Daeun wondered as she looked at him.

          “I just want you to know that I’ll always be here for you. Whether you’re sad about anything, whether you’re happy, or whether you just want to talk with someone about anything in the world, I’ll always be here for you. I know you don’t want us to face our feeling because of Yunhi, but like I said before, I promise you we’ll be together, alright? I just wanted to let you know that for right now, I’ll always stay by your side and be here whenever you need someone.”

          “Thank you, Daehyun,” Daeun said with a smile. “That really means a lot.”

          “It’s no problem. Have a nice day, Daeun,” Daehyun said as he sent her off with a wave.

          “You, too,” Daeun said before she began heading towards her next class leaving Daehyun standing there.

          Shoving his hands into his pockets, Daehyun began walking back to the dorm. He didn’t have another class for a couple of hours and figured that he could just spend the time hanging out in his room trying to do work, but he knew that it probably wouldn’t happen.

          “Where are you going?” Youngjae wondered as he passed Daehyun on his way out of the building.

          “Back to the dorm. Today’s my light day,” Daehyun sighed. “I don’t have much.”

          “Lucky,” Youngjae whined. “I have a lab.”

        “Well of course you would,” Daehyun said with a chuckle. “Have a nice lab while I go have a nice nap.”

          “Lazy,” Youngjae muttered as he hurried away.

          “You got it!” Daehyun yelled back as he turned around to enter the building.

          “Jung Daehyun! Would you like to help me?” Yunhi yelled as she attempted to get up the stairs.

          “Oh, yeah, wait a minute,” Daehyun said as he hurried up to her side. “You’re released early. Daeun said something about this afternoon or tomorrow.”

          “Well they said that I was doing fine and that thankfully it was only a minor scratch,” Yunhi said with a chuckle. “They said that it’s a miracle that it was only that. I mean, thankfully the car wasn’t really going that fast.”

          “How did you get hit anyway?”

        “I was just walking across the street, thinking I could go because a car wasn’t coming, but a car came. It was my fault and I take all the blame. Thankfully the driver was really nice,” Yunhi said as she and Daehyun made it up the stairs. “Thanks.”

          “No problem,” Daehyun said. “Do you want me to help you with anything else? I could help you to your dorm room, or do you have a class now?”

          “I have a class in a half an hour,” Yunhi said looking at the clock.

          “Do you want me to help you carry your books or something? I don’t have a class until this afternoon.”

          “I wouldn’t want to be a bother—”

          “You wouldn’t be a bother,” Daehyun said interrupting Yunhi. “I’d be glad to help you. After all, you are on crutches for now. Maybe carrying your books isn’t the best thing in the world.”

          “But I carry them every day,” Yunhi attempted to argue.

          “But that’s not when you have a broken leg,” Daehyun said pointing down to her leg. “Anyway, I’ll help you to your room, drop my stuff off, and then go back to your room to help you go to your class.”

          “Really Daehyun, you don’t have to,” Yunhi said as the two of them got into the elevator.

          “I’m serious, I want to help,” Daehyun said.

          “Oh, Jung Daehyun, that’s not like you,” Yunhi said with a hesitant smile.

          “Yeah well, we’re in college now. The years before are the years before,” Daehyun said as they arrived at Yunhi’s room. “I’ll see you in a little while.”

          “Alright, see you then,” Yunhi said as Daehyun went around the corner to go back to his room. While she was getting ready, though, she couldn’t stop thinking about Daehyun being nice. It was a new leaf for him, and while there was always some nice points about him, somehow Yunhi just thought that he was being nicer than normal. However, she also thought that it could be because she had a broken leg and wouldn’t be able to easily get around.

          “Hey, you’re here. Where’d you come from?” Himchan asked when Daehyun arrived in their apartment.

          “My class? The outside?” Daehyun wondered as he looked strangely at Himchan. “Why aren’t you going to class?”

          “I have a later one,” he said as he flipped through the channels on the television. “Why is there nothing good on television in the morning?”

        “Because it’s the morning?” Daehyun chuckled as he walked towards his room to drop off his backpack.

          “Where are you going now?” Himchan asked when Daehyun was heading back towards the front door.

          “I’m going to go help Yunhi since she got a broken leg, why?”

          “Just wondering,” Himchan said with a sly smile.

          “Hyung, I don’t like that smile of yours,” Daehyun said pointing it out.

          “Yeah well you don’t have to like everything about me,” Himchan said sticking his tongue out. “Anyway, have fun spending alone time with Yunhi. Maybe this time will get you guys closer and you can date her. After all, everyone agrees that you need a girlfriend.”

          “Got it hyung,” Daehyun said as he left the apartment. He didn’t want to argue with Himchan about him not needing a girlfriend since there was no way he was going to date Yunhi. The only person that Daehyun wanted and needed in his life was Daeun and at the current moment Yunhi was the only thing in their way, but with her current injury, it made things complicated.

          “Jung Daehyun, right on time,” Yunhi said with a smile as she opened the door.

          “Yup,” Daehyun said politely smiling back. “I’m here.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will Yunhi fall even more for Daehyun? Will Daehyun be able to tell Yunhi that he likes Daeun? What else will Daehyun learn about the people around him that ne never noticed?

 

Here's Chapter 10. Hope you enjoyed :D

 

And I'm so sorry it's taking me so long to update this story, as well as the rest of my stories. Don't worry, though, Christmas is coming soon, which means some more inspiration around me. I mean today I already had the first snowfall of the season. Somehow these things inspire me to write.

 

Anyway, have a good morning, good afternoon, or goodnight. See you soon :)