Uncontrollable Feelings

The Waiting Period

Daehyun sat at his desk as he began to do his homework. College was rough, he had to admit. There was still some time until they had to present the project and Daehyun and Daeun were still on speaking terms, but that was as far as they would call their relationship. The two only met up outside of class to talk about the project. Meanwhile, Youngjae always seemed to set Daehyun up with Yunhi for no apparent reason.

          “Are you sure that you don’t want to go with me and Yunhi for dinner?” Youngjae asked Daehyun as he grabbed his jacket.

          “I’m sure, I’m not hungry right now, I’ll get something later,” Daehyun said as he dismissed him.

          “Okay then,” Youngjae sighed as he left the room. For the past couple of weeks, or rather ever since they started college, Yunhi had been talking to Youngjae about how attractive Daehyun was and how mysterious he seemed, also about how she’d like to get to know him better. Since then, Youngjae was doing everything in his power to try and get the two together, but it always seemed as though Daehyun was rejecting the idea altogether.

          “Well, looks like someone doesn’t want a girlfriend,” Zelo said as he appeared next to Daehyun causing him to jump a little bit.

          “I like Yunhi, I’d totally go after her,” Jongup said as he popped right on the other side.

          “What are you guys doing?” Daehyun almost yelled, but he realized that Yongguk and Himchan were probably still in the room and if he yelled, then they would’ve thought he was crazy, but then again, Daehyun wondered if the time actually did stop when the two appeared.

          “We’ve come once again,” Zelo announced as if he were announcing for a king. “Do you like that? I’ve been working on my announcing skills since we were gone.”

          “It’s been a while since I saw you guys,” Daehyun said. “Why did you suddenly appear now?”

          “Because we feel as though someone is troubled,” Jongup said as he stuck his finger up in the air. “I get waves of troubles from…you,” he said as his finger pointed at Daehyun.

        “What types of troubles? Troubles about you guys leaving me alone and then suddenly appearing again?” he asked.

          “Troubles about…you and Daeun getting together again,” Zelo said as he looked at Jongup who just smiled and nodded his head.

          “Why would I have trouble with that? I’m Jung Daehyun, there are no troubles with me getting girls, but explain something to me,” Daehyun said as he turned around to look at the two who were now sitting on his bed.

          “Shoot,” Jongup said.

          “If I’m in the past, then what’s going on in the future? I mean, there’s a six month waiting period before our divorce is final and me being here isn’t really helping my case, right?”

          “Ah…we put up a notice saying that you had a business trip for six months,” Zelo said, “at least I think that that was you…”

          “I think that was the other guy,” Jongup said as he attempted to remember, “I don’t think that was him.”

          “Oh right!” Zelo yelled, “time doesn’t change for you.”

          “Then what was that thing about sending the notice for the other guy?” Jongup wondered.

          “That was a different time travel case,” Zelo attempted to explain.

          “Guys,” Daehyun said finally getting their focus once again, but for how long he didn’t know.

          “Yes?” they both asked in unison.

          “How is me spending time here going to help anything there again?”

          “Because,” Jongup said, “you’re here.”

          “No duh he’s here,” Zelo said as he gently pushed Jongup, who continued to go with the gravity and ended up lying on Daehyun’s bed. “Anyway, you being here sort of, kind of, stops time where you come from.”

          “So the divorce isn’t going to happen?” Daehyun wondered.

          “It might…if you don’t change things here,” Jongup said, his face still in the covers.

          “Will you get up?” Zelo asked as he picked Jongup up by the back of his shirt. “Anyway, six months here means about one day back in our time.”

          “So one day will pass?” Daehyun asked and Jongup and Zelo nodded their heads. “But then why am I spending six months here?”

          “Because six months is the waiting period, and normally when time traveling, there’s all these fancy rules,” Jongup said, “and one, for your particular case, is that the time limit of time travel is the time limit that the present day is given to fix their mistake.”

          “What in the world is that?” Daehyun muttered.

          “It means that since you have six months as the waiting period before the divorce is finalized, you get six months in the past to redeem yourself,” Zelo said putting together Jongup’s jumbled mess.

          “A lot can happen in six months,” Jongup said with an eye smile.

          “Okay, that’s great, but that’s not going to help me with Daeun, is it?” Daehyun wondered.

          “Let’s leave you with this,” Zelo said as he and Jongup stood up from the bed. “The little things count.”

          Just as they had come, the two disappeared and Daehyun was left to wondering about what they meant. He wasn’t entirely sure, but he thought that maybe, just maybe he should get a move on with the relationship between him and Daeun. Him sitting around doing nothing about it wasn’t moving their relationship forward anymore and for all he knew, their standstill could happen for the entire six months and nothing would be changed.

          Taking out his phone, Daehyun searched for Daeun’s number and he hoped that she would at least pick up. “Is there something you need, Jung Daehyun?” Daeun asked as soon as she picked up the phone.

          “Ah, Daeun, I was wondering if you wanted to go eat dinner with me,” Daehyun offered. “We can discuss more of the presentation.”

          “Hmm…I guess…maybe,” Daeun sighed. “What trouble would it do? I guess I’ll come. Where should we meet up?”

          “Um…” Daehyun said as he attempted to figure out where Youngjae and Yunhi were going, since he didn’t want to run into them. “Let’s just meet in the lobby and then we can find out where we want to go from there.”

          “Alright, I’ll meet you there in five?”

          “Sounds great,” Daehyun said before he hung up the phone. As soon as he got off, Daehyun began rummaging through his things in attempts to find some of the English project. He told Daeun that they were going to discuss it, so for him to show up with nothing regarding the project meant that he would’ve lied, even though he already was, but it would cause him to be on worse ground with Daeun.

          After finding everything he needed and shoving it into his backpack, Daehyun left his dorm and went to the lobby to meet Daeun. Somehow, he was nervous. Nothing was happening according to how it was in the past. In the past, Daehyun waited until he and Daeun were on good speaking terms, but now, Daehyun realized that he didn’t have as much time if he wanted to repair things with Daeun and he had to start taking action or nothing would get accomplished.

          “Why did you suddenly want to meet up?” Daeun asked as soon as she saw Daehyun in the lobby.

          “Oh, I was just working on it and I got hungry. I wanted to see if you just wanted to talk about some of it,” Daehyun said.

          “Alright, where do you want to go?”

          “Why don’t we go to the noddle bar?” Daehyun suggested. “It’s not that far away.”

          “Sure, let’s go,” Daeun said as she headed towards the door with Daehyun following behind her.

          It didn’t take long for the two to go to the noodle bar and get their orders before sitting down. Once they sat down, an awkward silence filled the air between them. Daehyun figured that he should start talking about the project, but there were other things on his mind. “Listen, Daeun,” Daehyun slowly began, “the real reason that I wanted to meet up with you wasn’t because of the project.”

          “I figured that much,” Daeun said with a light chuckle.

          “You did?” Daehyun asked surprised. “Then why would you agree to meet me then?”

          “I don’t know…I figured I couldn’t say no. Then what was the real reason you wanted to meet up with me?”

          “No particular reason,” Daehyun said as he rested his arms on the table. “I mean…I just wanted to meet you. Is that bad?”

          “Not necessarily,” Daeun began, “but as far as I know, my roommate has a crush on you.”

          “Don’t need to tell me twice.”

          “So you already know about it?”

          “I do,” Daehyun said as he nodded his head. “I know all about her little crush on me, well I wouldn’t call it little…”

          “But others have said that you like her back,” Daeun began.

          “Is someone jealous?” Daehyun wondered as he interrupted Daeun.

          “No,” Daeun flatly said as she shook her head. “I’m not jealous at all.”

          “Okay then,” Daehyun said with a chuckle as he began eating his noodles and Daeun started doing the same. It wasn’t until halfway through their meal that Daeun began talking again.

          “Then why don’t you just flatly reject Yunhi and tell her that you’re not interested?” Daeun wondered.

          “That would just be cruel,” Daehyun said. “Flatly rejecting her is bad, but I could easily make her fall in love with someone else.”

          “Who is the someone else?” Daeun curiously asked.

          “Youngjae.”

          “Youngjae? Why him?”

          “They’re spending all of their time together recently. Youngjae thinks he’s going to set me up with her, but I’m going to set him up with Yunhi instead.”

          “And that’s your great plan?”

          “Why? Is there something wrong with it?” Daehyun asked.

          “No, not really,” Daeun said.

          “Okay then,” Daehyun said with a slight smirk on his face. “Then why are you so curious about what I’m going to do with Yunhi and Youngjae?”

          “Can’t a girl be curious about her best friend?” Daeun wondered.

          “Of course, are you sure you aren’t just falling in love with me?”

          “Me falling in love with you?” Daeun asked as she scoffed. “In your dreams.”

          “That’s actually why I invited you out,” Daehyun slowly said without waiting for Daeun to respond, he continued. “I wanted to talk to you about this whole thing. You see…despite our relationship being undefined, although I think we’re on the track to having a friendship with one another, I think I’m starting to like you.”

          “Huh?” Daeun asked in disbelief.

          “I think I’m starting to like you, Nam Daeun. There’s just something about you that’s causing me to like you more with each passing day,” Daehyun confessed, “and there’s nothing I can do about it.”

          “You are being serious,” Daeun whispered as she looked at Daehyun.

          “Why wouldn’t I be serious? I’m not always a jokester with Youngjae.”

          “It doesn’t make sense,” Daeun said as she looked at Daehyun. “It doesn’t make sense at all.”

          “What doesn’t make sense?” Daehyun wondered. “What doesn’t make sense about me falling for you?”

          “That fact right there, the fact that you’re falling for me,” Daeun said as she got up from the table. “I’m sorry, I have to go right now. It was nice eating with you and everything.”

          “Daeun,” Daehyun called as he got up from the table and chased her out the door and stopped her a little bit away from the restaurant near the dorms. “Why are you running away? Does having a relationship with me scare you that much?”

          “Why would it scare me?” Daeun asked. “You don’t scare me at all.”

          “Then why are you running away from me when I tell you that I think I’m starting to like you?”

          “Because…my best friend is in love with you, how can I just go behind her back?”

          “So then you’re admitting that you like me too?”

          “That’s not what I said,” Daeun quickly said. “I never said that I liked you.”

          “Then why are you so defensive? I don’t like Yunhi, you know that. I like you.”

          “You haven’t heard how much she talks about you, how much she knows about you. You say that you’re going to get her together with Youngjae, but I honestly don’t think that that’s possible. She’s stuck on you.”

          “I’ll make her unstuck on me then,” Daehyun attempted to reason. “If I make her unstuck on me, then will you think about possibly dating me?”

          “You’re asking me to date you?”

          “Yes.”

          “No.”

          “No what?”

          “I’m not dating you.”

          “Why not?” Daehyun asked. “I’m asking if you’ll date me after I make Yunhi stop being in love with me.”

          “No.”

          “Why?”

          “Because I don’t like you,” Daeun scoffed.

          “Of course you don’t,” Daehyun said with a sly smile. “Then at least let me go back to the dorms with you. I mean, we do live in the same building after all.”

          “I guess,” Daeun huffed as she began walking in the direction of the dorms with Daehyun on her heels.

          Daehyun and Daeun finally arrived in the elevator at the dorm. “I’ll remember this conversation,” Daehyun said breaking the silence that had been with them since they began walking to the building.

          “What’s there to remember?” Daeun asked.

          “Everything,” Daehyun said as the elevator stopped on Daeun’s floor and before Daeun could step out, Daehyun quickly leaned down and kissed her on the cheek. “It was nice eating dinner with you, Daeun. Maybe we could do this again sometime.”

          “In your dreams,” Daeun muttered as she got off of the elevator.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will Daehyun make Yunhi not like him anymore? Will Daehyun be able to convince Daeun to date him? Will Yunhi and Youngjae be able to like each other?

 

Here's Chapter 7. Hope you enjoyed :D