What Happens At Parties

The Waiting Period

“Well, I’m glad you decided to join me on this night,” Himchan proudly said as he looked at the rest of his friends standing there.

          “It’s not like we had a choice, though,” Daehyun muttered. It wasn’t like he didn’t want to go to a party, but he didn’t know why he had to get a girlfriend right away. As far as he could remember about his college life, this happened before, Himchan taking all of the guys to a party, but other than that, Daehyun couldn’t remember anything else. That was the only thing that came to his mind when he thought about his first day of freshman year. Then again, Daehyun was quite impressed with himself that he could remember that far back.

          “C’mon, lighten up, I think it’ll be good for you,” Himchan said as he slung his arm around Daehyun’s shoulder. “Now let’s go, I promised my buddy that we wouldn’t be that late.”

          “That late? It’s already eleven at night,” Youngjae said looking at his watch.

          “Late as in one in the morning or something,” Himchan said as he shook his head. “Anyway, let’s get going, let’s get going!”

          Himchan pushed Youngjae, Daehyun, and Yongguk out of the dorm and out into the Quad. “Where is this party of yours?” Yongguk asked as he surveyed the people that were out at that hour. Some of the students were still out, they were still getting to know one another and making friends, but others, Yongguk figured, were inside already studying for the exams that wouldn’t take place for a couple of weeks, but those were the students that would probably ace them.

          “This way,” Himchan said as he began to lead the pack.

          It only took a minute before the four boys were at the steps of a sorority. “Hyung, your friend is in a sorority?” Youngjae asked in surprise.

          “Yeah, so?” Himchan asked. “Noona!”

          “Ah, Himchan!” a girl yelled as she saw Himchan walk up the stairs with his friends.

          “Noona, these are my friends that I was telling you about. That one in the middle especially needs a girlfriend.”

          “Hyung, no I don’t,” Daehyun said immediately objecting since he knew that they were talking about him.

          “Anyway, guys,” Himchan said as he looked at them. “This is Jeon Hyosung, she’s a sunbae and president of this sorority.”

          “Does that mean that you’re going to graduate soon? N-n-noona?” Youngjae asked, hesitantly adding noona onto the end.

          “Yes, you can call me noona,” Hyosung said with a chuckle, “and I graduate next year, I just so happened to be able to be president for this sorority this year.”

          “Let’s go in guys,” Himchan said with a nod of his head towards the building.

          Hesitantly, the three boys followed behind Himchan. Of everything that they were expecting about the party, which wasn’t really that much, they weren’t expecting it to be at a sorority for sure. “I can’t believe Himchan-hyung knows the president of a sorority,” Youngjae whispered to Daehyun. They were standing inside of the building with Himchan and Yongguk off somewhere. Where to, they weren’t entirely sure.

          “I know, right?” Daehyun asked as he watched some of the girls walk by.

          “Would you be interested in asking any of these girls out?” Youngjae asked as he followed Daehyun’s eyes.

          “I…I don’t know,” Daehyun said shaking his head.

          “C’mon, we’re in college now, you have to be more assertive!” Youngjae said.

          “Why don’t you show me first,” Daehyun said poking fun at Youngjae a bit.

          “You can’t just be held up on one girl forever,” Youngjae commented. “There are a bunch of people out there, and you hanging on to Yunhi isn’t going to work. You have to make her jealous.”

          “Whoever said that I like Yunhi?”

          “You did.”

          “I did? When?” Daehyun asked. His memory of it was hazy.

          “Last year, did you forget?” Youngjae asked.

          “Yeah, sorry, I forgot,” Daehyun said quickly apologizing.  He figured that he probably had said that at some point, since Youngjae wasn’t one to lie, but he wasn’t sure when. He guessed that the time travel had messed with his brain a little bit, like it would with anyone’s.

          “Anyway, make her jealous. What about her friend?”

          “Daeun?”

          “Yeah, Daeun. If you’re going to get Yunhi jealous, and if none of these girls appeal to you, then you’re going to have to get with someone close to Yunhi,” Youngjae said laying out the game plan for Daehyun.

          “But there’s no way, you already saw how she acted towards me before. She obviously doesn’t like me,” Daehyun said with a shake of his head. It wasn’t like he wanted Daeun to stay mad at him, but it was only their first day. Other than that, Daeun didn’t know who he was, she didn’t know about the future that would await them, the future that he was attempting to change.

          Daehyun figured that he could probably just keep his friends thinking that he liked Yunhi when he silently went after Daeun, but Daehyun was also worried about whether that would cause road blocks in the future. If his friends thought that he liked Yunhi, then maybe there would be instances when they would attempt to set Daehyun up with Yunhi, but if Daehyun liked Daeun, then no misunderstandings would happen. However, since Daehyun used to like Yunhi, it would be strange to suddenly announce his attraction for Daeun, especially after meeting for the first day. Daehyun would just have to give it time.

          “What about you?” Daehyun asked turning the conversation around.

          “What about me what?” Youngjae asked in slight confusion.

          “Are there any girls that you’re interested in?”

          “I thought we were focusing on you tonight.”

          “That doesn’t mean that we can’t focus on you,” Daehyun said with a chuckle as he patted Youngjae on the back. “We’re friends, we can be wing mans for each other.”

          “I don’t think I would trust you as my wing man,” Youngjae said sticking his tongue out at Daehyun.

          “Hey, if I trust you, then the least you can do is trust me!” Daehyun attempted to reason. “So seriously, Yoo Youngjae, is there anyone that you’re interested in?”

          “Daehyun, we’re at a sorority party and you’re asking me if there’s anyone I’m interested in? You must be crazy today,” Youngjae said with a smile.  “How about we—wait, isn’t that Yunhi over there?”

          “Where?” Daehyun asked turning around and looking at two figures that were standing by a table.

          “Over there, by that table,” Youngjae said slightly pointing, he didn’t want to seem rude by straightly pointing at the people, since there was always the off chance that it wouldn’t be the right people. “Let’s go over and say hi.”

          “I don’t think that’s a very good idea,” Daehyun said, slightly getting nervous at the thought of hanging out with them at a party. Daehyun was sure that if Himchan saw him together with Yunhi, Himchan would attempt to get the two together into a relationship, something that Daehyun definitely didn’t want. He wanted to be in a relationship with Daeun, to make up for the things that he had done during their college years together. Now those things he remembered.

          “Hey guys,” Youngjae said as he approached the table.

          “Youngjae?” Yunhi asked turning around and looking at him. “Ah, it really is you, and Daehyun. Why are you guys here? Isn’t it a sorority party?”

          “Himchan-hyung knows the president,” Youngjae said with a shrug of his shoulders.

          “I guess he was always good with girls,” Yunhi said. “I completely believe that.”

          “Anyway, why are you guys here?” Youngjae asked. He was the only one keeping the conversation alive between the two boys. Daehyun was too slightly shocked and nervous to say anything to them. Being around Daeun made Daehyun nervous because he didn’t want to repeat what happened in the past, he was doing his best to be cautious, but Daehyun wondered if he was being too cautious when he was around Daeun.

          “We’re just checking out the sorority,” Daeun said with a gentle smile. “We’re thinking about rushing.”

          “Are you? Daehyun and I haven’t put any thought into rushing,” Youngjae said. “I think it would be cool, though.”

          “It would be!” Yunhi exclaimed. “If we were in a sorority together and you two were in a fraternity together. It would be like we’re always going to party together. What do you say, Daehyun?”

          “I guess,” Daehyun said shrugging his shoulders. “I mean, I don’t particularly mind.”

          “So it is only you guys and Himchan-oppa?” Yunhi asked.

          “Yongguk-hyung is here, too,” Youngjae told her. “The four of us came, we’re roommates. You already knew that, right?”

          “I think you might’ve mentioned it before, or maybe I just figured the four of you would be,” Yunhi began. “Anyway, I don’t want to keep you from your festivities, enjoy the rest of your night.”

          “Alright, thanks, you too. Tell me if you decide to rush with this sorority. I might get Himchan-hyung to put in a good word for you,” Youngjae said with a chuckle as he and Daehyun began walking away.

          “Where are we going now?” Daehyun complained as he followed behind Youngjae.

          “You aren’t having fun?” Youngjae asked. “And why didn’t you talk to Yunhi at all? She’s a very talkative person. I think you and her could have a good relationship, if only you’d stop being shy around her.”

          “I wouldn’t necessarily call myself shy,” Daehyun said with an awkward laugh. “Um…anyway, I think I’m going to head out of here.”    

          “But Himchan-hyung said that we were going to find you a girlfriend.”

          “Well Himchan-hyung is off finding himself a girlfriend,” Daehyun said as he began to walk towards the door. “Plus it’s getting late, I’m tired.”

          “I guess there’s nothing I can do to stop you,” Youngjae said sighing. He wanted Daehyun to stay some more since he didn’t want to party by himself, but Youngjae figured that he would be able to quickly bond with people since there were mostly girls there. Youngjae didn’t think that it was going to be a problem at all. Still, though, he was slightly nervous about having Daehyun leave when the whole reason that they came out was so that Daehyun could possibly find a good potential girlfriend.

          It wasn’t that Daehyun didn’t like being at the party either, but it was just too stuffy and crowded for his liking. There were a lot of girls there and a good number of guys, too. A bunch were dancing and drinking, something that Daehyun didn’t really like to participate in, drinking or dancing. In the end, Daehyun figured that the party probably wasn’t for him, but he wasn’t going to totally leave. Instead, Daehyun decided to just stand outside for a bit and listen to the ruckus that was going on inside.

          A couple of times Daehyun laughed at someone that was dancing awkwardly or someone that was too drunk to stand or someone that was mumbling incoherent words. Once or twice he also saw Yongguk and Himchan with their own girls, talking with them and doing who knew what.

          Slowly, time continued to go on and it was already past midnight. Figuring that he had stayed for long enough, Daehyun began to leave the back porch of the party. Halfway during his time outside, he made his way to the back to see if there were any other funny mishaps happening, to which there were, since it was the backyard of the sorority where people weren’t really seen by the public, only the people that were in attendance at the party.

          Once he got to the entrance, though, Daehyun wished that he hadn’t stayed at all. Looking at the people on the porch, a particular couple caught Daehyun’s eye. Upon closer inspection, Daehyun saw that the people were none other than Youngjae and Daeun, a sight that made his heart hurt. The two were seemingly very flirty with each other. Whether they were drunk or not, Daehyun wasn’t entirely sure, but he could figure that they both had a couple of drinks, it was just the matter on whether they were able to hold their alcohol or not. Either way, the sight was enough to make Daehyun want to leave the party as quickly as possible.

          “Hey, whatcha doing?” Yunhi asked as she came up behind Daehyun who was standing on the front porch.

          “Whoa,” Daehyun said slightly surprised at Yunhi’s sudden appearance. “I was just leaving. You?”

          “Same,” Yunhi said as she began to descend the stairs, Daehyun followed behind her.

          “Um, hey,” Daehyun began, stopping Yunhi in her tracks, “do you want me to walk you back? I know it’s only a block away, but you never know. It’s already past midnight and I was going that direction anyway.”

          “O-kay,” Yunhi hesitantly said. “If you wish. I’d love it.”

          “Okay,” Daehyun said with a nod of his head as he caught up with Yunhi.

          The two of them began walking side by side as they made their way towards the Quad, where the dorms were located. “What building do you live in?” Yunhi asked.

          “Hwahong,” Daehyun replied. “What about you?”

          “I live in Hwahong, too,” Yunhi said. “I didn’t know you lived there.”

          “Well I guess we never asked,” Daehyun said with a chuckle.

          The two entered the building together and went into the elevator. “What floor do you live on?” Yunhi asked as she pressed the fourth floor button for her.

          “I live on the seventh,” Daehyun said. “So, have you thought about it? Are you going to join that sorority?”

          “I think so, it’s really nice and I really like it,” Yunhi said.

          “Okay, I can tell Himchan-hyung to put in a good word to Hyosung-noona,” Daehyun said. “Then maybe that’ll help the whole rushing process.”

          “Maybe, I don’t know,” Yunhi sighed as the elevator stopped at the fourth floor.

          “I guess this is your stop,” Daehyun said as he saw the number four.

          “I guess so,” Yunhi said as she moved to get out of the elevator, but not before turning to look back at Daehyun. “You know, Daehyun, this was nice, just us talking with one another. Maybe we should do it another time.”

          “Maybe,” Daehyun said with a nod of his head. He didn’t want to be entirely rude and shut Yunhi out, so he thought that maybe he could talk with her and have a friendship. After all, it was exactly like Youngjae had said before, getting another person jealous. Yunhi and Daeun are friends now, and if Daehyun wants to get with one, he had to make the other jealous.

          “Well, goodnight, Daehyun,” Yunhi said with a smile.

          “Goodnight, Yunhi,” Daehyun said before the elevator doors closed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did something happen between Youngjae and Daeun? Will something happen between Daehyun and Yunhi? Will Daehyun be able to make Daeun jealous?

 

Here's Chapter 5. Hope you enjoyed :D