The Five Rules

The Waiting Period

“Sorry, but I have to get to math, I don’t have time for this kind of stuff,” Daehyun said as he turned around from where the two teenaged boys were standing and began making his way towards the building that he thought housed his math class.

          “Your math class is actually over there,” the boy named Jongup said pointing towards another building that was across the street.

          “Oh,” Daehyun said following Jongup’s finger as he changed his direction and began walking towards the other way. However, as soon as Daehyun began walking the other way, he saw the two teenaged boys in front of him. “How did you…” he muttered.

          “Just listen to us,” Zelo said with a slightly creepy smile that was starting to make Daehyun feel uncomfortable. He didn’t know why it was so weird that there were two teenaged boys in front of him that were saying they were time travel experts. What did it take to be a time travel expert?

          “Why?” Daehyun asked. “I have class.”

          “Not anymore,” Jongup said with a chuckle.

          “What do you mean?” Daehyun asked as he stared at the boys strangely.

          “Look around you,” Jongup said.

          Daehyun looked around and saw that everyone had stopped moving. He wouldn’t believe it with his own eyes, but after blinking a couple of times and making sure that he wasn’t dreaming by pinching himself, he found out that he wasn’t dreaming. He was real and people were really not moving. “What…” Daehyun said as he turned around in circles to look at everyone.

        “Yes, so we’re time travel experts,” Zelo said as he skipped over to Daehyun and Jongup did the same. “Believe us now?”

          “Um…” Daehyun said. There was no doubt that they were time travel experts, but he was just at a loss for words. He was unable to say anything, his mind was still wrapping around the idea that he time traveled and then he was face to face with time travel experts? It was just too much for him to handle.

          “Okay, well, while we have some time now, we’d like to explain a couple of things to you,” Jongup said.

          “We wouldn’t explain things, but it’s part of the procedure,” Zelo added.

          “What do you mean procedure?” Daehyun asked. “What procedure is there to follow? Why in the world is this happening to me?”

          “Slow down, slow down,” Zelo said as he slung his arm around Daehyun’s shoulder. “You’re just adjusting. Soon you’ll be living this like it’s your life.”

          “That’s because it is my life!” Daehyun yelled at him. “I’m still Jung Daehyun, I’m still living my life! I’ve just been transferred to the past! I’m married, I have a son, and I’m getting divorced.”

          “Which is why you’ve been transferred here,” Jongup said as he finished Daehyun’s sentence.

          “What do you mean?” he asked.

          “There are five simple rules that you have to follow while you’re here,” Jongup continued as he began circling around Daehyun.

          “Stop circling,” Daehyun said after he was tired of attempting to follow Jongup with his eyes.

          “Sorry,” Jongup apologized.

          “Anyway,” Zelo continued picking up where Jongup left off, which wasn’t very far since he didn’t get to explain any of the rules yet to him. “There are five simple rules that one has to follow while they’re here.”

          “And what are those?” Daehyun asked. He wasn’t entirely sure if he should be afraid of what the rules might consist of.

          “One, you can’t say anything about time traveling. Two, nothing in the future happened yet, so don’t go slipping up about anything, but that rule is more of just a forewarning about what the people here know and don’t know. Three, you’re not allowed to fall in love with anyone else,” Zelo said as he counted on his fingers.

          “I’m pretty sure I won’t fall in love with anyone,” Daehyun muttered.

          “Four, you have to get back together with Daeun, but I don’t know why that one is there because it sounds exactly like number three to me, and finally, five,” Zelo continued as he held up all five fingers, “you have six months to do it.”

          “Six months?” Daehyun asked in surprise. “I have six months to make Daeun fall in love with me?”

          “Well…to make her come back to you…” Jongup said as he thought about the situation.

          “Isn’t that the same thing?” Daehyun asked.

          “I guess…is it?” Jongup asked as he looked at Zelo who just shrugged his shoulders.

          “Anyway, does time continue moving in the real life when I’m here?” Daehyun curiously asked.

          “Depends,” Zelo said shrugging his shoulders again.

          “What do you mean depends? How does that question have ‘depend’ as an answer?” Daehyun asked. “Look…time either moves or it doesn’t move when I’m here.”

          “Okay then, then the answer that you’re looking for is that it doesn’t…really,” Jongup said.

          Daehyun angrily stared at the boys in front of him. It felt like he was about to explode. There were just so many questions that Daehyun wanted to ask the two, but with the answers that they were providing, it didn’t seem like he was going to be able to know what he wanted. “It doesn’t…really?” Daehyun asked to make sure that he heard him right.

          “Yeah, time doesn’t move. You’re here, but it changes,” Zelo said attempting to explain. “I don’t know how to say it.”

          “So if I do something, it changes?” Daehyun asked for clarification.

          “Yes,” Zelo and Jongup said nodding their heads at the same time.

          “But I can’t see it?” he curiously asked.

          “No,” the two responded in unison again.

          “I can’t see it…” Daehyun muttered to himself. He wondered that if he wasn’t able to see it then how was he going to make sure that he was doing it correctly.

          “Don’t worry, we’ll be with you every step of the way…sometimes,” Zelo muttered at the end.

          “We won’t be with you all of the time, but most of the time,” Jongup added with clarity. “And people can’t see us.”

          “So people are going to think that I’m crazy and that I’m talking to air?” Daehyun asked in disbelief.

          “No…they won’t now because time is frozen…but if you talk to us regularly, then…yes?” Zelo asked with a little laugh.

          Daehyun stared at the guys in front of him in disbelief. He still couldn’t believe that such a thing was happening to him. He couldn’t believe that he was time traveling and that he couldn’t tell anyone about it. It wasn’t like he thought anyone would believe him anyway.

          “Can I ask a question?” Daehyun hesitantly asked as he looked at the two boys standing there.

          “Sure,” Jongup said shrugging his shoulders as he looked at Zelo.

          “We don’t see why not,” Zelo said as he nodded his head along with Jongup. “Ask away.”

          “What happens if I break one of the rules? What happens if she doesn’t fall in love with me and I don’t repair our relationship together, although I don’t see how time traveling can make the future any different…” he muttered to himself.

          “You have six months,” Jongup began, “you have six months to regain trust in her, to make her believe that you’re not as bad of a guy as you are. You remember what you’ve done in your past with her before.”

          “What?” Daehyun asked as he attempted to remember what happened in the past, but somehow he couldn’t remember. Was it that too far long ago or that unimportant that he couldn’t even remember what he had done in the past to Daeun?

          “You lied to her,” Zelo began as he filled in the blanks, “you lied to her and she caught you with other girls a couple of times. Still, she believed in her love for you and thought that you were going to change. She thought that your married life together would be better than anything that had ever happened to her before. She thought that you would become someone better for her.”

          “But you proved her wrong, which is why you’re now getting a divorce,” Jongup said finishing the thought.

          “Then why are you giving me one more chance?” Daehyun asked wondering why he would be given another chance to have another meaningful relationship with Daeun if he already messed up big time. “Why give someone like me another chance to make things better?”

          “Because everyone has trust in you,” Zelo said with a smile.

          “But I’m just someone who lies and cheats and doesn’t do anything right,” Daehyun said as he thought about Daeun’s past words to him.

          “You weren’t always like that,” Jongup said in an attempt to calm Daehyun down. “You just got…sidetracked. And that’s why we’re here, to help you get back on track and to have a happy life.”

          “But it doesn’t make sense,” Daehyun attempted to reason.

          “It makes perfect sense!” Zelo yelled.

          “Really now, does it,” Daehyun said rolling his eyes. “Look, it doesn’t make sense to me. I’m the one that this is happening to, so it should make sense to me! Why in the world did I have to be transported back in time? I could’ve just fixed my relationship with Daeun in the present day; I didn’t have to be transported back in time!” Zelo and Jongup stared at Daehyun as they attempted to suppress their laughter. “What are you laughing at?” he yelled as he pointed at them.

          “Yeah, there was kind of no reason for you coming back to the past,” Jongup said as he thought about it some more.

          “Then why in the world am I here?” Daehyun asked again.

          “Because do you really think that Daeun would like you in the present?” Zelo asked.

          “Do you think that being in the past would change anything in the present?” Daehyun retorted.

          “We already told you that it did, though,” Jongup said as he looked confusingly at Zelo.

          “But what’s the point in bringing me to the past?” Daehyun asked. He didn’t see the purpose in anything, he just thought that it was completely idiotic. “Just let me go back home."

          “You are home,” Zelo said with a chuckle as he looked at Daehyun and Jongup.

          “Not funny, why do you guys attempt to be funny?” Daehyun asked. He was slowly getting more and more agitated at the two guys who were in front of him, the ones that claimed to be the ones that were supposed to be his guide.

          “We’re not attempting to be funny, that’s just life,” Jongup said with a goofy smile.

          “But there’s something that you really regret, though, right?” Zelo asked as he moved the conversation to a more serious note.

          “What do you mean…regrets,” Daehyun said as he looked at the two closely.

          “You regret a lot of things in your life. Don’t attempt to hide it, we already know,” Zelo further explained.

          “Everyone has regrets, how could they not?” Daehyun pointed out. “People aren’t human if they don’t have some sort of regrets, but what does having regrets have to do with time traveling?”

          “It’s part of the reason why you’re here,” Jongup continued. “It’s part of the whole reason why you were sent back into the past in the first place.”

          “Then why doesn’t everyone get sent to the past? Everyone has regrets, don’t they? It still doesn’t make sense,” Daehyun muttered to himself. He was trying, he was really trying to make sense of everything that was going on around him, but he didn’t understand it. He didn’t understand what having regrets had to do with going to the past, that and the fact that he was going to get divorced, he just didn’t understand it.

          “Well it’s also because you’re getting divorced, it’s a combination,” Jongup said. “You see, you’re getting divorced, but you feel as though there are a lot of things that you haven’t been able to do with Daeun, hence your regrets. You feel as though there were plenty of things that you could’ve done for her during your college years before you guys got married and had a child.”

          “We’re not saying that you regret your child,” Zelo quickly chimed in, “we’re simply saying that we think that you feel bad about the way that you guys spent time together when you were dating.”

          “But there are rules that I still have to follow,” Daehyun said as he attempted to find a connection between everything.

          “The rules act as a guide, they will help you turn your relationship with Daeun into something that you’re proud of. They’ll help you tell your son in the future that this is how he should treat a woman in the future and how he could start a relationship. Instead of attempting to hide behind lies, they’re rules to help you have a more open and honest relationship with Daeun for the future,” Jongup said with a nod of his head.

          “You know, that was actually very thoughtful of you, Jongup,” Zelo said with a smile as he turned to look at Jongup.

          “Thank you,” Jongup said giving a smile.

          “Anyway, it’s time for us to leave,” Jongup said.

          “Wait, you’re leaving?” Daehyun asked. He was surprised by their sudden announcement departure.

          “We’ll be back sometime, maybe,” Zelo said shrugging his shoulders. “Live your life, fix your regrets, and we’ll be around. Make your relationship with Daeun better, everyone’s rooting for you.” With that, Zelo and Jongup disappeared from sight leaving Daehyun standing there.

          “Yah! Jung Daehyun!” Youngjae yelled from the other side of the block. “Do you want to be late for math?”

          “What?” Daehyun asked turning around to see him.

          “Why are you standing there? We’re going to be late for math!”

          “Ah, right, right,” Daehyun said as he shook his head in an attempt to get the thought of Zelo and Jongup out of it. “I’m coming!”

          Sighing, Daehyun turned around and began going towards where Youngjae was standing. “What’s up with you today? Aren’t you excited for the first day of university?”

          “Yeah, first day,” Daehyun said nodding his head.

          “Are you alright? It seems as though you aren’t entirely in it today.”

          “I’m fine, I’m fine,” Daehyun said nodding his head. He was saying those words more for his benefit than for saying it to Youngjae.

          “Okay,” Youngjae said looking at him weirdly. He thought that something was up with him, but he didn’t want to ask questions. After all, he figured that Daehyun could be nervous because it was their first day of classes. Youngjae was sure that things would get better as the days passed and they got used to their new college lifestyle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will Daehyun abide by the five rules? Will anyone find out about Daehyun time traveling? Will Daehyun be able to get Daeun to fall in love with him? Will there be anyone else entering the picture?

 

Here's Chapter 3. Hope you enjoyed :D