I Promise You

The Waiting Period

“Hey what are you going to do today?” Youngjae asked Daehyun as they both were sprawled out on their beds. It just so happened that the university had a scheduled day off, so no one had any classes. Yongguk and Himchan had gone off to do something of their own leaving Youngjae and Daehyun behind.

          “This?” Daehyun asked as he held up his comic book for Youngjae to see. “I mean, what else is there to do?”

          “Should we ask Yunhi and Daeun what they’re doing?” Youngjae offered.

          “I guess,” Daehyun said shrugging his shoulders. “I mean, if you want to, but under one condition.”

          “And what is this one condition?” Youngjae asked as he reached out to grab his phone off of the bedside table.

          “You don’t try to set me up with Yunhi,” Daehyun said in a stern voice. “I told you I have no interest in her, so don’t try it.”

          “Do you have an interest in Daeun then?”

          “What are you talking about?”

          “I heard about how you had dinner with Daeun after you rejected my offer with Yunhi,” Youngjae said in a deflected voice. “If you didn’t want to eat dinner with me and Yunhi you just could’ve said so.”

          “Well I wasn’t hungry then, it was the truth,” Daehyun said in an attempt to defend himself. “It was only a spur of the moment, going with Daeun.”

          “Alright then, but I promise that I won’t try to set you up with Yunhi. I’ll still invite them out, though.”

          “Alright,” Daehyun sighed as he began reading his comic book again while Youngjae called Yunhi.

          While Youngjae was talking, Daehyun wasn’t very concerned about it. The only thing he was concerned bout was whether they would have good food where they went. “It’s set!” Youngjae yelled as he jumped on Daehyun’s bed.

          “What is?” Daehyun nonchalantly asked, he didn’t even look up from his comic book.

          “We’re going to meet Daeun and Yunhi in the lobby in fifteen minutes,” Youngjae began to explain.

          “Where are we going?”

          “The zoo.”

          “The zoo?” Daehyun asked. “Out of all places you guys decided on the zoo?”

          “Why not?”

          “Never mind,” Daehyun said shaking his head. “Alright, fifteen minutes.”

         

“Hey guys,” Youngjae happily said as the four of them met up in the building’s lobby.

          “Hey,” Yunhi said with a smile as she quickly took a glance at Daehyun who just stood there with his hands in his pockets. “Are you ready to go to the zoo?”

          “Of course, right Daehyun?”

          “Huh?” Daehyun asked as he turned to look at Youngjae.

          “The zoo, are you ready to go to the zoo?” Youngjae asked again.

          “Ah yeah…zoo…alright, let’s go,” Daehyun said as he made his way towards the door.

          While he and Daeun had had a couple of classes since then to work on their project, they never really spent time alone after the one night of having dinner together. It wasn’t like their relationship was any different, but Daehyun knew that he liked her. He couldn’t deny it, she was the one that he was supposed to be with, but if she didn’t believe that, Daehyun felt as though it was going to be quite the road ahead.

          On the way to the subway, Daehyun began slowing down his pace so he could walk with Daeun who was also lingering in the back. Youngjae and Yunhi were too busy to even notice anything. “Hey…Daeun,” Daehyun awkwardly said as they walked next to each other.

          “Jung Daehyun,” Daeun sighed as she looked at Daehyun.

          “So…do you like the zoo?” Daehyun asked in an attempt to start a conversation. He didn’t want to be awkward with Daeun and in order to have a good relationship, communication was needed. Daehyun remembered back when they started dating before and how they rarely ever talked with each other about the problems that they were having. Sure they would have problems, but they never really had a deep conversation with one another and since Zelo and Jongup told him that the little things counted, Daehyun figured that he could start with their conversational skills with one another.

          “Eh,” Daeun said shrugging her shoulders. “Yunhi picked it, but shouldn’t you be up there talking with her?”

          “I already told you before, I like you,” Daehyun said. “I don’t like Yunhi, the guys are just trying to get me with her.”

          “Hmm…I heard about how you used to follow her around in high school, she told me all about it.”

          “That wasn’t true, it wasn’t like that,” Daehyun said in an attempt to defend himself. “I didn’t do anything like that. We were friends, we were all friends, and she just liked me first. Sure, maybe I liked her a little, but I don’t like her anymore.”

          “And I don’t like you either, so why are we even talking about this?” Daeun asked herself as she quickened her pace to catch up with Yunhi and Youngjae, but Daehyun held her back. “What are you doing?” she asked as she looked at Daehyun’s hand on her wrist, stopping the both of them from going any farther.

          “Let’s go,” Daehyun said as he began pulling Daeun the opposite way.

          “Where are we going?” Daeun asked as she attempted to pull herself away from Daehyun’s grip, but Daehyun just kept pulling Daeun along. “Yah! Jung Daehyun!” Daeun yelled.

          “I’m going to a place that we would both enjoy,” Daehyun said as he quickly looked back to see if Yunhi and Youngjae noticed their absence, which they thankfully didn’t.

          “Why are you ditching them? They’re going to notice that we’re not there sooner or later.”

          “I’d rather it be later,” Daehyun said as they finally stopped.

          “Is this the way you tell someone that you like them?”

          “I already told you that I liked you, and you apparently say that you don’t like me, but you like me, don’t you.”

          “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Daeun said as she crossed her hands over her chest and looked the other way.

          “You like me, I know you do,” Daehyun said as he closed the distance between him and Daeun. “You’re nervous around me now, ever since I just simply kissed you on the cheek. You like me, you can’t deny it.”

          “I am denying it, though,” Daeun said as she stared Daehyun right into the eye. “I’ll deny it with every fiber in my being.”

          “And why are you going to deny the fact that you like me?” Daehyun wondered. “Because you basically just told me that you liked me.”

          Without waiting for Daeun to respond, Daehyun slowly leaned himself lower until he gently pressed his lips against Daeun’s. As Daehyun pulled away, he looked into Daeun’s eyes. “What was that?” Daeun asked.

          “Can you still say that you don’t like me?” Daehyun asked.

          “Even if I like you it doesn’t matter, even if I think about you it doesn’t matter,” Daeun said as she stared at Daehyun.

          “Why doesn’t it matter? It’s only natural that if the two of us like each other that we should date,” Daehyun pointed out. “You like me and I like you, what’s so hard about that? We like each other so we should date.”

          “I’m not going to betray my best friend, she’s in love with you.”

          “Look, the whole reason that Youngjae switched groups in class to be with us is because he wanted to hook me and Yunhi up. He made up some reason to the teacher about him leaving and she said sure.”

          “I don’t see what that has to do with anything. I told you I’m not betraying my best friend, so unless you make her stop liking you, this,” Daeun said as she pointed at her and Daehyun, “is never going to be.”

          “You sure make things difficult,” Daehyun sighed as he looked around, “but c’mon, let’s go somewhere.”

          “Where are we going?” Daeun asked as she looked around as well but figured that there was nothing she could do now. Yunhi and Youngjae were probably on their way to the zoo already and if Daeun didn’t want to feel the wrath of Yunhi, then maybe it wasn’t a bad idea to hang out with Daehyun for a bit until they realized that the two had disappeared.

        “Let’s just walk around. I mean, we’re off from classes for the day, so let’s just relax and walk around. In all honesty, I don’t really like the zoo,” Daehyun honestly said. “I just came along because you were coming along.”

          “O…okay,” Daeun sighed as she looked at Daehyun. “Let’s just walk around.”

          Daeun and Daehyun started walking in an aimless direction, but they made sure to stay away from where Yunhi and Youngjae might be. “So tell me,” Daehyun said as the two of them were calmly sitting on a bench with bubble tea in hand. “What exactly does Yunhi have to do with all of this?”

          “She likes you, Daehyun, she likes you a lot,” Daeun said as she slowly sipped the drink.

          “And you don’t?” Daehyun wondered.

          “I don’t like you as much as she does. She really likes you.”

          “Hmm,” Daehyun said nodding his head in understanding, “but still, I don’t like her, I like you, okay? It doesn’t matter, I don’t care. But let me ask you something else, you liked me since the beginning didn’t you. You just put up that cold front didn’t you.” Silently, Daeun sat on the bench and continued drinking the bubble tea without answering. “Okay then,” Daehyun slowly said nodding his head. “I’ll take that as a yes.”

          “I didn’t say anything,” Daeun objected.

          “But I know,” Daehyun said with a chuckle. “I know you liked me from the moment you saw me. You just didn’t say anything because you were nervous and just put up a cold front so you wouldn’t get hurt. I know everything.”

          “What are you talking about,” Daeun said as she tried to shake it off.

          In reality, Daehyun was right. The first time Daeun heard about Daehyun from Yunhi, she thought that he would be a really nice guy and the moment that Daeun first saw Daehyun, she thought he was really cute. The only problem was that Yunhi had a big crush on him and Daeun heard that Daehyun liked Yunhi back. So, in order to keep her friend, Daeun put up a cold front and just remained cold to Daehyun so her heart wouldn’t get in the way, but slowly, after meeting up with Daehyun for the project, Daeun slowly found herself falling even more for him.

          “You don’t need to say anything, I can feel it,” Daehyun said with a slight smile on his face. He thought back to the time that he and Daeun hung out in the past, before he had a redo at college. The memories of everything were vague, but Daehyun remembered how Daeun thought he was a cold prince and silently harbored a crush and figured that those feelings would stay true even with him going back in time.

          “Weirdo,” Daeun muttered under her breath as she took a quick glance at Daehyun and silently smirked.

          “Hey, let’s go somewhere else,” Daehyun said standing up and offering his hand out to Daeun.

          “And what do you expect me to do with that?” Daeun asked as she just stared at Daehyun’s hand.

          “I expect you to grab it,” Daehyun said as he held it closer to Daeun. “C’mon, grab it, it’s not going to be anything bad.”

          “But—,” Daeun started to object before Daehyun just took her hand and helped her stand up. “Let’s go.”

          “Where are we going?” Daeun asked as Daehyun started leading her somewhere.

          “The river,” Daehyun said. “It’s not that far away. You like the river, don’t you?”

          “Daehyun…” Daeun said stopping in her tracks and staring at him.

          “Yeah?” Daehyun asked turning around and looking at her. “Is there something wrong?”

          “How do you know all this stuff about me?” she questioned. “Like how did you know about just…everything…”

          “Lucky guess,” Daehyun said with an awkward chuckle. He forgot that he was actually living in the past and that he wasn’t supposed to really know anything with Daeun, but he wanted to make sure that he and Daeun had a good beginning to their relationship. Daehyun wanted to make sure that nothing went wrong like it did leading up to the divorce. “Here, let’s walk along the edge,” Daehyun said as he grabbed Daeun’s hand and began leading her again.

          “What is this?” Daeun muttered to herself as she was walking along side of Daehyun. “What am I doing with you? What is this?”

          “You’re hanging out with me, is it wrong?”

          “Yes it’s wrong. Yunhi really likes you, she’s in love with you, and if she were to find out about this then we’d both lose a friend. She’s my best friend, I can’t let her experience heartbreak.”

          “You’re a really good friend,” Daehyun said with a slightly bitter chuckle. “But that doesn’t mean that we can’t hang out with each other.”

          “We can hang out with each other,” Daeun slowly began, “but we can’t do anything more than that.”

          “What will it take to make you go out with me then?”

          “I won’t go out with you.”

          “You won’t go out with me because of Yunhi, right? So what if I make Yunhi not like me anymore.”         

          “Daehyun…you can’t,” Daeun slowly began. “You can’t do that to Yunhi.”

          “I’m going to make her fall in love with Youngjae,” Daehyun began. “Once I complete that, then we’re free to be together, right?”

          “Daehyun…”

          “I promise you,” Daehyun said as he took Daeun by the hands and looked at her. “We’ll be able to be together, I’m going to make it happen. I promise you.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will Daehyun's plan work? Will he and Daeun be able to date? Will Yunhi be able to stop liking Daehyun?

 

Here's Chapter 8. Hope you enjoyed :D

 

And I'm so sorry that I haven't been updating lately. I had a bunch of college stuff to sort out, but everything is mostly sorted out now, so things like updates should be picking up. Sorry for such the long wait!

 

Have a good morning, good afternoon, or goodnight. See you soon :)