Rewriting The Future

The Waiting Period

“Are you going to be okay? What time does your class get done?” Daehyun asked as he dropped Yunhi off at her class.

          “You really don’t need to do all of this,” Yunhi said as she looked at Daehyun with an appreciative smile. “I’m thankful, though.”

          “How else are you supposed to get around? You have a broken leg?” Daehyun wondered as he looked down at her leg.

          “I do have a backpack, I can just wear my backpack with my books.”

          “Still, though,” Daehyun attempted to reason, but Yunhi shook her head.

          “I’m thankful thus far, I don’t want you to miss any classes or anything because you’re helping me.”

          “Well then,” Daehyun said as he sat Yunhi’s backpack on the desk. “If you need any help, don’t be afraid to give me a call or text, whatever’s comfortable to you.”

          “Alright then, thanks,” Yunhi said with a smile.

          “I’ll be going then,” Daehyun said with a quick nod before he left the classroom and began walking back to the dorm. He didn’t know why he was so keen on helping Yunhi, it was just something he thought was right, something that just felt right.

          He was worried about Yunhi getting the wrong image, though. He didn’t want her to think that he was being nice to her simply because he liked her because that wasn’t the case. He was helping as a friend, only as a friend.

          “So how was your date with Yunhi?” Himchan asked as soon as Daehyun went back into the dorm.

          “What are you talking about?” Daehyun questioned as he stopped and sat on the couch next to him. “Hyung, when are you going to do something other than watch the TV?”

          “When there’s something worth doing besides watching the TV,” Himchan sighed. “Like right now, I want to hear all about your date.”

          “First off, it wasn’t a date,” Daehyun sighed.

          “What is this I hear about a date?” Yongguk asked as he walked through the living room.

          “You’re here, too, hyung?” Daehyun asked.

          “I’m about to leave for a class,” Yongguk said as he made a stop at the fridge. “But what date are we talking about here? Why didn’t I know our Daehyunnie had a date?”

          “Because I didn’t,” Daehyun said turning around to look at him. “I just walked her to class because she has a broken leg. I’m being nice.”

          “Well…whatever you say,” Yongguk said with a chuckle as he left the dorm leaving Daehyun alone with Himchan.

          “Hyung, it wasn’t a date,” Daehyun said defending himself once more before he stood up to go into his own room.

          “Whatever you say,” Himchan said with a smile, “what you think and what I think are two different things.”

          “Everyone else doesn’t think it was a date…right?” Daehyun asked himself as he collapsed on his bed. “It couldn’t be, I only walked her to class. It was completely innocent.”

          “Having girlfriend problems?” Zelo asked as he appeared next to Daehyun on the bed.

          “Oh my gosh,” Daehyun said jumping from his bed, “you scared me.”

          “I was waiting to see how long it would be until you noticed us,” Zelo said as he looked at Jongup, “but you didn’t notice us at all and I was sad.”

          “Why are you even here?” Daehyun questioned.

          “Because it seems as though you’re having problems,” Jongup calmly stated.

          “But you probably know what they’re about, right?” Daehyun sighed. “I mean, you’re time travelers. So can’t I just go back to the present? Why can’t I just be in the present? What’s the point of me being in the past?”

          “Do you want to know the truth?” Jongup suddenly asked.

          “What?” Daehyun asked staring at him.

          “Yah,” Zelo said as he hit Jongup in the arm, “we aren’t supposed to tell him,” he whispered.

          “Tell me what?” Daehyun asked. “Is there something wrong? Am I not supposed to directly state that you’re time travelers or something?”

          “No it’s not that,” Zelo hesitantly began as he glared at Jongup before turning to look at Daehyun. “It’s just that…there actually is no future.”

          “No future? What are you talking about?” Daehyun wondered. He didn’t know what the two were trying to get at. What did they mean that there was no future?

          “The time you’re living in now is the present,” Jongup said, but the statement didn’t answer Daehyun’s questions.

          “That still makes no sense,” Daehyun said shaking his head.

          “What he’s trying to say,” Zelo said interjecting in attempts to explain the situation, “is that the future is a clean slate.”

          “But you told me that time like froze or something,” Daehyun said attempting to remember what the two told him before.

          “And you actually believed that?” Jongup asked with a wide smile. “We just said that because we didn’t think you would actually understand what we were talking about.”

          “So time doesn’t freeze?” Daehyun asked.

          “No,” Zelo said shaking his head, “it’s like what I said, the future is a clean slate.”

          “So I’m not technically changing the future…” Daehyun said as he tried to wrap his head around the conversation he was having, “but it’s more like…I’m writing the future? That makes no sense.”

          “There is no future,” Zelo said trying to explain again. “Basically you are living your life over again, it’s a redo. It’s the exact same thing as before only time isn’t frozen or anything. The future time of you and Daeun doesn’t exist.”

          “But the rules…there were the rules,” Daehyun said suddenly remembering about it. “What about like the six month rule?

          “Oh, that still applies,” Jongup chimed in.

          “Why do I have six months if I’m rewriting the future?” Daehyun wondered.

          “Because if you manage to successfully make Daeun fall in love with you in six months,” Zelo began, “then your life will go back to before the divorce.”

          “What kind of sorcery is this?” Daehyun questioned. “What force is enabling you to do this?”

          “Forces we’re not allowed to speak about,” Jongup sighed.

          “But trust us when we say that all will work out well if you do well,” Zelo said.

          “What do you mean?” Daehyun asked. He was getting more confused by the second, but Zelo and Jongup disappeared by then and Daehyun was all alone in his room. “They make no sense,” Daehyun said as he closed his eyes in hopes of getting a little sleep before his afternoon class.

 

“Hey, you, aren’t you going to be late?” Yongjae asked as he kicked Daehyun in his foot.

          “What?” Daehyun asked as he sat right up in bed and faced Youngjae.

          “I asked if you were going to be late for your class. It’s already noon.”

          “I have an hour,” Daehyun sighed. “Speaking of, I’m going to go make ramen.”

          “No one said anything about ramen, though,” Youngjae muttered to himself as Daehyun walked out into the apartment. “Whatever.”

          “You’re still here?” Yongguk asked when he saw Daehyun. “I thought you left a while ago.”

          “Me? You’re the one that left a little while ago, hyung,” Daehyun said, “you had a class and I didn’t leave. Where did Himchan-hyung go?”

          “He went to his class, or maybe he’s going out on group dates again.”

          “Those things still happen?”

          “They do, if you’re HImchan,” Yongguk said with a chuckle.

          “I’m surprised that he got off of the couch. Why don’t you do something like that?” Daehyun suggested.

          “Nah,” Yongguk said shaking his head. “When do you have a class then? Or are you done for the day?”

          “In an hour,” Daehyun said as he began rummaging through the cupboards looking for ramen to eat.

          “Daehyun-ah,” Youngjae said as he came out of their room. “Your phone is ringing.”

          “My phone?” Daehyun asked as he pulled out the pot. “Who in the world would be trying to call me?” he muttered to himself as he took the phone out of Youngjae’s hand. “Hello?”

          “Ah, Daehyun…sorry, did I interrupt something?” Yunhi asked on the other line.

          “Oh, no,” Daehyun said, his voice lightening up a bit. “Is there something that you need?”

          “I was just…um…” Yunhi hesitantly began as she tried to find the right words to say, “I was just wondering what you were doing.”

          “Eating. Why? Do you need help or something?”

          “I don’t want to disrupt you…”

          “You won’t disrupt me. I can just grab something quickly instead,” Daehyun quickly said. “I told you I would help you. Where are you now?”

          “When is your next class?” Yunhi wondered. “I don’t want to interrupt anything.”

          “It’s not for an hour. I’ll bring my stuff with me. Just tell me where you are and I’ll be there in a moment, alright?”

          “I guess,” Yunhi said as she silently smiled to herself. After telling Daehyun where she was, he quickly gathered his things for his class before leaving the apartment.

          “Where is he going?” Youngjae asked as he stared at the door.

          “How am I supposed to know?” Yongguk asked as he looked up from the television screen to look at Youngjae. “Did the caller ID say anything?”

          “Ah, that’s right, there’s a caller ID,” Youngjae said suddenly remembering it. “I forgot to look. You don’t think he has some sort of like secret girlfriend though, right?”

          “I don’t know,” Yongguk sighed. “But he’ll probably reveal it sooner or later, that kid can’t keep a secret.”

 

“I’m sorry for interrupting your eating,” Yunhi said once Daehyun arrived.

          “That’s no problem,” Daehyun said with a smile. “I told you I’d help. Here, let me get your bag.”

          “But you’re already carrying your own.”

          “Let me carry it,” Daehyun said grabbing it from her. “So are you going to another class or somewhere else or…”

          “I was actually thinking of eating lunch. Want to come with me? I know I interrupted your lunch. Plus you still have like fifty minutes until your next class.”

          “Sure, I guess,” Daehyun said shrugging his shoulders. “Where do you want to eat?”

          “Where’s the closest place to here?” Yunhi wondered. “I don’t want you carrying the heavy stuff for long.”

          “Um…I think the actual dining hall is right over there,” Daehyun said using his head to point. “Let’s go over there.”

          “You know, Jung Daehyun,” Yunhi said once they entered. “College really has changed you into a different guy.”

          “Has it? I hadn’t noticed,” Daehyun said as he looked for a table to sit at.

          “I mean, you’re nicer. You weren’t really this nice to me in high school. Sure, you and I are friends, but I don’t think I could’ve ever imagined you doing something like this.”

          “You didn’t think I would do something like this for you?” Daehyun asked as he began walking towards a table. “Here, sit here and I’ll go get some food, alright?”

          “Yeah, but—,” Yunhi started to argue before Daehyun shook his head.

          “Don’t worry, I won’t bring back something you entirely hate,” Daehyun said before he took off.

          While Daehyun was getting food, Yunhi sat at the table and wondered what would make Daehyun change like that. Sure he was friendly during high school, but only because she was friendly with him. It always seemed as though he would never be one to open up to other people, but somehow, now being in college, it seemed like he had changed into a new person entirely. If Yunhi went to a different college and had come back to see them, she was sure she wouldn’t be able to recognize him.

          “Oh, Yunhi,” Daeun said as she came up to Yunhi sitting at the table.

          “Daeun, what are you doing here?” Yunhi asked as she turned around to look at her.

          “I’m going to eat, of course, what are you doing here? Aren’t you going to get any food?” Daeun asked as she looked at the empty spot in front of her.

          “I am, I am. Someone’s helping me get food,” Yunhi said as she looked in the direction that Daehyun went.

          “Really? I’m glad you’re doing well, you look like you’re doing good,” Daeun said as she looked Yunhi up and down. She still couldn’t believe that she was in a car crash, but she was happy that Yunhi seemed to be doing alright. It felt like forever since they last even talked to one another.

          “Here we go,” Daehyun said as he returned to the table carrying a tray of food. “I’m going to go back for drinks, what do you want to drink Yunhi?” he asked placing the trays down onto the table.

          “Daehyun is here with you…” Daeun said as she watched him.

          “Huh?” Daehyun asked as he finally looked up and saw Daeun staring at him. “Daeun…”

          “I’m sorry, I must be interrupting something, right? Have a good lunch with one another,” Daeun said as she looked at the two of them.

          “Why don’t you stay?” Yunhi wondered. “It seemed like you were just coming in.”

          “No, no, I don’t want to intrude,” Daeun said shaking her head, “and plus I just realized that I have a class in a couple of minutes. I’ll see you back at the dorm, though, okay? I’ll see you guys later.”

          “Excuse me,” Daehyun said to Yunhi when he saw Daeun practically running out of the dining hall.

          “Oh, okay,” Yunhi said nodding her head as she watched Daehyun go off before she turned around and started eating.

“Daeun, Daeun. Nam Daeun!” Daehyun called as he grabbed her arm to prevent her from going any further.

          “What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be on your date and taking care of Yunhi?” Daeun asked.

          “It’s not like that, I swear,” Daehyun said in an attempt to explain himself. “I’m just helping her because she has a broken leg. Don’t take anything out of this, okay?”

          “But I can’t help to feel like this,” Daeun honestly whispered. “What am I supposed to feel when you and I both know how she feels about you? How am I supposed to feel about this?”

          “Know that nothing is going to go on between us, alright?” Daehyun said as he hugged her. “I already told you that I’ll find a way for us to be together, alright? The only thing you have to do is trust me. Can you trust me?”

          “I can try,” Daeun sighed. “I’ll see you later Jung Daehyun.”

          “See you later Nam Daeun,” Daehyun said as he watched her go.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will Daehyun be able to tell Yunhi the truth? Will Daehyun be able to set the future right?

 

Here's Chapter 11. Hope you enjoyed :D

 

And I have updated after the longest time! I know many of you have probably waited for like ever, but I am back. And BAP is also back with their new song. If you haven't seen it, check it out here.

I like this song and the rocky feel it gives to it. Honestly, their last couple of releases weren't my style, but this one I really like.

 

So that's it for now. Have a good morning, good afternoon, or goodnight. See you soon :)