What Started It All

The Waiting Period

 

Daehyun sat on the couch in the apartment as he stared at some of the toys that Taehyun liked to play with. Daeun, his soon-to-be ex-wife moved out of the apartment and back in with her mother, taking Taehyun with her. She was also fighting for custody of him in court. Daehyun knew how much Taehyun meant to her, so he wasn’t going to attempt to take him away. He just wanted to see his son a couple of times a week and Daeun was okay with that idea seeing as she didn’t want to cut Taehyun off from his father forever.

          Sighing, Daehyun roamed around the apartment to find something to do. He was bored without having Daeun there and frankly, he missed her. Whenever he was bored, normally he would play with Taehyun, but even then he was unable to do that.

          He wanted to call Daeun to see if he would be able to see Taehyun, but he knew that he probably wouldn’t be able to. Technically, Daehyun figured that he wasn’t even supposed to be able to see Taehyun, but Daehyun knew that if he prodded Daeun for long enough, she would eventually give in and let him see his son.

          Just as Daehyun was about to call someone on the phone, the doorbell to the apartment rang. “Hello?” Daehyun asked as he opened the door to find his good friend Youngjae standing there. “Youngjae, what do you want?”

          “I was just coming to see how you were holding up,” Youngjae said as he immediately went into the apartment without waiting for Daehyun to invite him in. “I knew that the court hearing was today.”

          “And we have the mandatory waiting period,” Daehyun said filling in the blanks for him. “You should know how all of this stuff works, you’re studying to become a lawyer.”

          “Yeah, yeah,” he said as he sat down on the couch and sprawled his feet on the coffee table.

          “Don’t do that,” Daehyun said pushing them right off as he took a seat next to him.

          “Aww look at him, just filling in for his soon-to-be ex-wife.”

          “Shut up.”

          “So you do still care about her, then why are you divorcing her?”

          “You think that I want to divorce her?” Daehyun asked looking at Youngjae.

          “Then why are you guys getting a divorce?”

          “Because she wants to,” Daehyun dejectedly said. He never wanted to get a divorce, he loved Daeun, but Daeun wasn’t so convinced. “Maybe…maybe if we hadn’t met when we were so young…”

          “Jung Daehyun, what are you saying?” Youngjae asked staring at him in disbelief.

          “I’m just saying…maybe if we hadn’t met back then, but rather later, then things wouldn’t be the way that they are now.”

          “I wouldn’t say things like that.”

          “You would be saying them if you were the situation that I’m in right now,” Daehyun said staring at him. “Look, I’m not saying that I’m regretting the time that I spent with Daeun, I’m just saying…maybe if we hadn’t rushed the whole getting married part, we wouldn’t have divorced.”

          “You’re not officially divorced yet.”

          “Yeah, it’s as good as gold right now,” Daehyun said rolling his eyes and sighing.

          “Daehyun,” Youngjae said sitting up and staring at his friend. “Stop thinking about the past, this is the future we’re going into. After six months you two will be back to being practically strangers. You’ll only see each other when you’re dealing with little Taehyunnie.”

          “But I don’t want it to be that way,” Daehyun complained. He didn’t want to be separated from Daeun, he didn’t want to divorce her, but for weeks before they turned in the signed divorce papers, Daehyun attempted to convince her. He attempted to convince her that he wanted to be together with her, that he wanted to keep being husband and wife and look over their son together.

          However, Daeun wouldn’t have any of it. She didn’t believe Daehyun’s words anymore and ultimately, she ended up wanting a divorce. Having no strength to continue to fight with Daeun, Daehyun gave in to the request and signed the divorce papers with a heavy heart.

          “So basically you’re saying that you want to go back in time, right?” Youngjae asked. “You just don’t want to have Taehyun?”

          “I’m not saying that,” Daehyun quickly said to defend his son. “I love Taehyun just like I love Daeun. I’m simply saying that maybe we had Taehyun too early.”

          “Sure,” Youngjae said attempting to give Daehyun a knowing look.

          “Youngjae,” Daehyun sternly said as he attempted to correctly tell the story to Youngjae. “Daeun and I met our first year of college when we were both like nineteen then a year later we decided to get married and then right after that we had Taehyun. Don’t you think that we rushed everything?”

          “Maybe,” Youngjae said shrugging his shoulders. “It’s your life, who am I to judge you on it.”

        “True, I guess,” Daehyun said sighing as he looked at Youngjae. “So, what do you want to do tonight?”

 

Daeun stared at the sleeping Taehyun before she slowly went out of the bedroom, only to be greeted by her mother in the living room. “Are you sure you want to go through with this?” she worriedly asked.

          “Yes,” Daeun said nodding her head. “I can’t handle living with him anymore, Mom.”

          “Don’t you think you want to reconsider your decision? You have six months to think it over.”

          “Six months of living this idiotic life,” Daeun told her mother. “Mom, I can’t live with Daehyun anymore.”

          “What did he do so wrongly?”

          “What did he do?” Daeun asked. “He lied, he cheated.”

          “You don’t know that.”

          “Yes I do. I saw it with my own eyes more than once. Once would’ve been fine. If he had only done it once, yes I would’ve been hurt, but I would’ve been able to get over it. I would’ve been able to just see past it, but more than once? Mom, I can’t live like that anymore.”

          “And what about my grandson? What about Taehyun?” she asked with a concerned look.

          “He’ll be able to see his father, don’t worry,” Daeun assured her mother. “Taehyun will be able to see Daehyun more than once a week, probably for half of the week. That’s what the two of us agreed on and that’s what’s in the papers for the divorce. I know that Taehyun would miss his father, despite being a horrible husband to me, Daehyun was pretty good to Taehyun.”

          “That’s good, a boy should grow up with his father, but Daeun…never mind.”

          “Alright,” Daeun said attempting to show her mother a smile.

          “I’m going to head off to meet up with some of the girls now,” her mother said. “Your father is going to be home at his usual time and I should be home by then, alright?”

          “Okay,” Daeun said nodding her head. “Have a nice time.”

          With that, Daeun’s mother left her in the living room. Looking around, Daeun wondered what she was going to do with all of the free time. Surely she would get a job and begin building a life for her and Taehyun alone. Daehyun would give money when he could, but Daeun didn’t want to lean on him too much, she wanted to be independent as much as possible.

          “Jung Daehyun, what have you done to me?” she muttered.

          Daeun never figured that her life would end up that way, much as no one figured that their life would end up a certain way. Back when she was still a student and when she and Daehyun were dating, she thought that they would be able to have a wonderful marriage life together, but in the end, it was only to end up in divorce.

          Mentally, Daeun scolded herself. Even back when they were dating, all of the signs were there that made Daehyun a playboy, Daeun just didn’t see it. Rather, she would say that she was blinded by puppy love for Daehyun to ever notice something like that about him. However, she wondered why they still got married if he was a playboy. Perhaps he thought that he would just satisfy her needs before he continued doing what he did best.

          “He just played with you, Nam Daeun,” she muttered to herself. “He played you for five years. What if you never met him in the first place?”

 

Later that night, Youngjae and Daehyun returned back to the apartment, stumbling and stuttering incoherent words. “Did you see that girl? She was hot,” Youngjae said as he smiled at the fond memory.

          “Sure,” Daehyun said with a big smile. “If only I could remember what girl you were talking about.”

          “Ah, Jung Daehyun, the playboy,” Youngjae said as he slung his arm around Daehyun and threw all of his weight on him, causing Daehyun to get off balance and crash onto the couch.

          “Maybe we shouldn’t get this drunk anymore,” Daehyun said.

          “Are you kidding?” Youngjae asked in disbelief. “This is the most fun that I’ve ever had. Maybe you should get divorced more often.”

          “No thanks, I’d rather spare myself the pain.”

          “Suit yourself,” Youngjae said shrugging his shoulders as he attempted to get off of Daehyun. “Yah, I’m going to be sleeping here for the night.”

          “Suit yourself,” Daehyun said as he pushed Youngjae off and attempted to get to his bedroom himself. “You sleep on the couch. No one sleeps in my bed.”

          “Alright, alright,” Youngjae said nodding his head and completely ignoring Daehyun as he got up and made his way to the bathroom.

          “Ugh, I’m going to feel horrible tomorrow,” Daehyun muttered to himself as he collapsed on his bed and quickly fell asleep.

 

“Wake up, Daehyun,” a deep and husky voice said as Daehyun felt himself being kicked.

          “Ugh,” he groaned as he turned over on his bed in an attempt to move away from the voice and attempted to pull the covers over his head.

          “Yah, Jung Daehyun,” the voice said again. “You don’t want to be late for your first day of classes, do you?”

          “What?” Daehyun asked as he slowly sat up from where he was sleeping and stared at the person in front of him that was attempting to wake him up. “Bang Yongguk,” he muttered.

          “That’s my name,” Yongguk said looking at Daehyun strangely. “Now get your out of bed and get ready for your first class. You don’t want to be late on your very first day of university.”

          “What?” Daehyun asked as he stared at Yongguk with a puzzled look. “First day of university?”

          “Did you fall on your head or something?” Yongguk asked staring at the younger strangely. “Yes, the first day of classes.”

          “Oh…oh…oh!” Daehyun yelled as he jumped out of the bed and headed towards the bathroom. He figured that he wouldn’t want to worry Yongguk anymore by pretending like he temporarily forgot about going to classes when he didn’t forget about anything at all. He graduated from college a while ago, but here he was, supposed to be attending the first day of university classes.

          “And hurry up!” Yongguk called from the outside. “All of us have our first day of classes to attend to.”

          “Yes, alright!” Daehyun called back out before he looked at himself in the mirror. “What happened, Jung Daehyun?” he whispered to himself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What happened to Daehyun? Will Daeun and Daehyun be able to rekindle their relationship?

 

Here's Chapter 1. Hope you enjoyed :D

 

And here is my newest fanfic featuring B.A.P.'s Jung Daehyun. In the poll, Daehyun was the most popular character and time travel was the most popular theme, and so this is what my brain presents to you. A time travel fic featuring Daehyun. 

 

I guess we'll see where this story takes us :)