Chapter 3

Warrior/전사

It was until that they that it happened.

The river started flowing slower than ever, and food was beginning to shorten, and crops were slowly starting to die, one by one.

Eunkwang raced out.

"This must be the intense heat," he said.

"It can't be!" said his father, "We have heat like this every single year, it can't be just the heat from the sun,"

"Look!" shouted Namjoo, pointing to the river, "The river is not flowing anymore!"

"What's bad about a river not moving?" said Ilhoon. "Not like it's going to cause any trouble,"

"Animals can't drink from the river now, Ilhoon," said Eunkwang, "It means that the water would not be fresh. Everything moves like a circle, Ilhoon, like the circle of life. They have the water, which is drunk by the animals, which are eaten by the people, and at the same time, water is needed for the crops, which is needed for the animals and food, as well as for washing. Without it, our kingdom is going to collapse. That's why as you see, life is like a circle,"

"But what could have possibly caused all of this?" asked Chorong. "Something mysterious must have haunted the kingdom,"

"I sense something!" shouted Changsub, "It is not caused by nature or humans, but beasts coming from the world. A circle of beasts that have created a rebellion and are trying to take over our kingdom,"

"Changsub, what nonsense are you making up right now in a crisis like this?" said the Queen.

"I'm only saying the truth," said Changsub.

That was when a flying blade crashed through their roof.

The sixteen jumped in astonishment and shock.

 

"Well, how did that get there?" asked the King, "A blade......falling from the sky?"

Ching.

Another blade crashed into the wall, cracking the paint forming the radial patterns.

"I told you," said Changsub, "I sense a rebellion trying to take over the kingdom!"

Changsub, who was skilled with psychic powers and magic waved his hands towards the blades, examining it as he brought out a microscopic image of the blade in the wall.

"There is some sort of symbol that lies within the blade," said Changsub, examining it.

"What is it?" asked Hyunsik.

"It says.........no......no way!"

"What's wrong?" asked Bomi.

"I know the rebellion!" said Changsub, "It's the Mingyuntaek Rebellion!"

"Mingyuntaek....." muttered Sungjae under his breath, "So those were the rascals......the war with them has not ended yet,"

The sixteen peered at the image brought out by Changsub, and started at the symbol representing the Mingyuntaek Tribe; the black four-winged windmill with a venomous snake crawling on it.

 

In an earlier war when Mingyuntaek broke out in war with Joseon in 1456, it killed hundreds of civilians. After a 13 year bloody war, the Mingyuntaek temporarily surrendered as 85% of the rebel forces were killed, but the remaining 15% were still surviving and determined to take over the kingdom again. They consisted of various different beasts, such as goblins, doggaebi, goons, giant salamanders, slugs, birds of prey as well as other humans who have had genes inherited from the above species in their gene pools. As mythical as they seemed, they were probably the most dangerous creatures man could ever encounter.

 

"Right," said Minhyuk, "This calls for an adventure!"

"Are you crazy?" asked Eunji, "They're too strong for us! There's no way we'll be able to defeat them!"

"Yes we can!" said Minhyuk, "If we work hard as a team, we may be able to defeat the whole rebellion invading our kingdom!"

"He's right," said Yookyung, "This is going to be an adventure for us. It's our jobs as princes and princesses to protect the country, right? Who's with me?"

The King and Queen were left speechless.

"I am," said Hayoung.

"And me," said Namjoo.

"And me too," said Sungjae.

Soon everyone decided that they would all stick together as a fourteen and go on the journey.

"Alright," said the King, but like the Queen he was equally worried about their children. "You may, but prove to us that you are eligible to be able to set off on your journey. From tomorrow, you fourteen will have to show us that you are comfortable in war condition and that you are able to handle it all without our supervision, alright?"

The fourteen agreed to take the tests.