Spoiling bad

Shared Responsibilities (Closing story to I'm Different, Crazy and Our World)

One month

Minji’s POV

I played with Minki’s hair as she lied on my lap, pressing her cheek against my belly and giggling to herself.

“What so funny?” I asked, smoothing her hair.

“Funny~” She giggled.

She seemed to know that I was pregnant and that she would be a sister soon. Up till now, she has not shown any signs of jealously yet.

“Is Minki excited for the baby?” I asked.

“Baby?” She asked.

“Yea, Minki is going to be either a noona or unni soon, are you excited?” I asked.

She puckered her lips, seemingly in deep thoughts.

“But Minki is baby~” She said, looking slightly sad.

“Of course Minki is a baby too. Minki will always be our baby.” I said.

“Okay.” She smiled and planted a kiss on my belly.

“Why is your Deedee taking so long to come down?” I muttered to myself.

“Deedee~” Her eyes brightened up at that name.

“Aigoo look at your smile~” I pinched her cheeks lightly.

“Come, get up, I’ll go check on him.” I said.

She sat up and played with her soft toys on the sofa while I headed upstairs to go check on Seungho.

“Lucky, what’s taking you so long? You’re going to be late for work.” I said as I opened the door to our room.

“Lucky, what’s wrong with you?” I asked, shocked when I found him leaning against the wall, his face pale and perspiring a lot.

“Ahhh it hurts~” He lean forward, putting a bit of his weight onto me.

“Where hurts? What’s wrong? Tell me.” I said as I tried to get him to sit down but he groaned in pain.

“Lie down, lie down. Try to lie down.” I said as I helped him to the bed.

It was not far, but it looked so painful for him to even take a step. When he finally lied stomach down onto the bed, he was groaning and tearing up.

“Is it your lower back?” I asked.

He nodded.

“Why are you hurting so badly out of a sudden? Did you fall while practicing?” I asked, rubbing his back gently, trying to ease his pain.

He looked at me, and then rolled his eyes and let out a sigh.

“What?” I asked, confused.

“I told you that my back was aching since last week but you ignored me.” He said.

“You did?” I asked.

He buried his face into the pillow, not saying anything. I had no idea what to do, except to massage his back.

“What’s this?” I asked when I felt a strap on his waist.

“Are you really asking me what is this?” He asked, glaring at me.

I felt very guilty instantly. I was the cause of his back pain. I made him carry the bag of rice and totally forgot about it because it seemed so natural to me already. I had no idea he was hurting so much.

“Oh my god. I’m so sorry. I’m so sorry I didn’t know. I forgot. I mean I… forget it.” I said as I took the bag of rice away from him.

“I’m so sorry.” I kept apologizing to him.

“But why didn’t you say anything…?” I muttered.

He stared hard at me.

“Okay, okay. I’m sorry. It’s my fault.” I said quickly.

“Are you in a lot of pain? Can you walk? I’ll take you to the hospital.” I said when he did not look like he was feeling better after I massaged him.

“I… can’t.” He grunted.

“Shall I call the doctor?” I asked.

He shook his head.

“Then what should I do?” I asked worriedly.

He said nothing except breathe deeply.

“Seungho ah~” I was about to cry seeing him in so much pain.

“I’ll be fine.” He muttered.

I called the doctor when he did not get better after resting in bed for half the day. The doctor diagnosed him with servere back strain and asked for him to rest in bed for a day or two. He also gave him painkillers to take if the pain gets real bad.

“If the pain persists, send him to the hospital.” He told me.

I thanked the doctor and went back to Seungho.

“Hey, look, I’m really sorry.” I said, holding his hand.

“It’s okay.” He sighed.

“It’s not okay. I… I don’t know what to say.” I muttered.

“Then don’t say anything.” He said, pulling me to lean against his chest.

“I’m sorry.” I apologized again.

“I get it.” He laughed.

“What are we going to do with you in so much pain?” I asked, cupping his cheek.

“I don’t know. How are you going to nurse me?” He asked.

“I’ll just leave you here.” I .

He pouted at me.

“Nah kidding~ I’ll give you massages and get you everything you need, my King.” I said.

He was smiling widely.

“Where’s Minki?” He asked.

“Downstairs playing with her feet or what.” I said.

“I want to go downstairs.” He said, trying to sit up.

“What are you doing? You can’t. I’ll get her to come. Lie back down.” I said, pushing him to lie down gently.

“I want to play with her.” He pouted.

“You’ll play with her in bed.” I said.

“Stay here, I’ll go get her.” I said as I headed down.

“Deedee!!!!!!” Minki ran into the room and climbed onto the bed, pouncing onto Seungho like a puppy even before I could stop her.

“Minki, how many times do I have to say you cannot do that because you’ll hurt Deedee?” I asked.

She smiled at me. I sighed, feeling so defeated.

“Deedee, are you sick?” She asked.

“I’m okay.” Seungho smiled.

Seungho and Minki stayed in bed for the whole day, playing with each other whatever toys Minki has. I watch the father and daughter bond and cannot help but wonder how life would be with another addition to the family coming our way soon.

“Is she asleep?” I asked.

Seungho nodded, not looking up from his daughter.

“I’ll bring her back to her room so you can rest better.” I said.

“It’s fine. Let her sleep here so I can watch her.” He smiled.

“You’re an amazing father, you know.” I said as I sat down beside him.

He looked at me with a surprised smile.

“What? You really are.” I said.

“How about a husband?” He asked.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“What kind of a husband am I?” He asked.

“Erm.. Let me see. I don’t know.” I .

“What!? Arghh…” He held onto his lower back as his face twisted in discomfort.

“Be careful there! I’m just kidding, idiot.” I said, massaging his back.

“You cannot tease me with things like that.” He said.

“Now that Minki is asleep, you need to sleep too.” I said, tucking him into bed.

“I’m not sleepy.” He said.

“You don’t have a say in this.” I smiled.

He fell asleep as I massaged his back for him, but even asleep, his hand never left Minki’s chest. I covered the blanket over the both of them.

“You’re an awesome husband. So awesome that I feel guilty at times. Why are you married to me and not someone better?” I said to his sleeping self.

Minki let out a cry suddenly, startling me. I saw Seungho jerk out of sleep.

“Shh shhh~ She’s okay.” I hushed him.

“Min..ki..” He muttered in a quarter awake voice.

“She’s okay, she’s okay.” I said as I patted both his chest and Minki’s.

“Where will I find a third hand to pat the new baby to sleep?” I asked myself as I watch both of them snuggle together.

***
Haneul’s POV

“It is your day off, why are you so busy?” I asked Junhyung as I walked into the kitchen.

He finally had a day off but he woke up earlier than usual to send the kids to school. I thought he might get some sleep when he came back but instead he was in the kitchen, working on something.

“I’m making them snacks.” He said happily.

“They wouldn’t be back until 3PM.” I said.

“Then I’ll make you snacks.” He grinned.

“You should get some rest instead.” I said.

“I’m resting.” He said.

“How is this resting?” I asked.

“Aye Lionny~ I hardly have time to do anything like this. Let me do it.” He said, staring at the recipe as though he was studying for an important paper.

“What are you trying to make?” I asked.

“A cake. But it didn’t state if I should add the sugar first or the salt first.” He said with a slight pout.

“What difference does it make if you add the sugar first or the salt first? You’re going to mix it altogether anyway.” I said.

“Oh. You’re right. Why didn’t I think about it?” He grinned stupidly.

I could only laugh at his face.

“I’m going out to get something. After you are done baking that cake, go get some sleep.” I said.

“You’re going out? Where are you going? Give me awhile. I’ll send you.” I said.

“No need to. I can drive. Just get some rest.” I insisted.

“It’s okay, it’s okay. I want to go get something too.” He said.

“What do you want to get? I’ll get it for you.” I said.

He let out a smile. I knew instantly what he wanted.

“Are you serious? You’re going to get that puppy for her? Junhyung, you’re spoiling her so bad.” I said.

“How is that spoiling her? Isn’t it cute? That puppy? I like it too. And besides, she’ll be so happy.” He said.

“But there’s no reason or special occasion.” I said.

“Do I need a reason to buy something for my daughter?” He asked.

“And besides, a puppy can train their responsibility too.” He explained.

“In the end, it will just be training yours. I know you love them a lot, but not like that.” I said.

“But the puppy is so cute…” He pouted.

/FLASHBACK

“APPA! APPA! APPA!!” Ji Eun yelled as she and Tae Hyun ran back into the restaurant.

We had allowed the both of them to go outside and have play around since they were done with their food, and at the same time we could spend some time on our own.

“What is it?” Junhyung asked, dropping his chopsticks instantly.

“I found a puppy!” Ji Eun said excitedly.

“You found a puppy? Where?” Junhyung asked, looking at me.

“Come, I’ll bring you!” She said, trying to drag Junhyung away.

“Wait, Ji Eun. Let us finish eating first.” I said, stopping her.

“But the puppy!” She said.

“If the puppy is there, it’ll be there.” I said.

She pouted at Junhyung.

“I’ll just go take a look.” Junhyung said.

“How can you let them drag you around like that? Finish your meal first.” I said.

“You heard your Umma.” Junhyung said.

“Ouh.” Ji Eun pouted as she sat back down.

Tae Hyun was smiling at us.

“Are you done? Are you done?” Ji Eun asked when we were paying the bill.

“Yes, yes. We’re done.” Junhyung said.

“Let’s go!” She said, pulling Junhyung without warning, almost causing that clumsy man to trip over the leg of the table.

“Where is the puppy?” I asked Tae Hyun as we walked behind.

“Somewhere~” He smiled.

“Here!?” I heard Junhyung say.

Ji Eun said she found a puppy, but why did she bring us to the pet shop?

“I found the puppy here!” She exclaimed excitedly as she poked on the glass panel. Indeed, inside the glass box was a puppy who was wagging its tail excitedly.

“Aigoo my cute girl~ How is this finding a puppy?” Junhyung laughed as he hugged her.

“Can we get a puppy? Pwease, Appa~” Ji Eun said with overflowing aegyo.

“You want the puppy?” Junhyung asked.

“Isn’t he cute!?” Ji Eun said, sticking her face at the glass.

“Yea. He sure is.” Junhyung said, poking the glass panel.

He turned to look at me. He had the ‘LET’S BUY THEM A PUPPY’ look on his face.

“No.” I said.

“WHY!?” The three of them asked in unison.

“Just no.” I said.

I liked the puppy too. I find him very cute but as much as I want to buy it too, I did not want to give them stuff they ask for so easily. Junhyung have been spoiling them really badly to the point I think some control is needed or else they would just go overboard.

“Why not!? Why?!” Ji Eun started throwing a tantrum.

“Throw a tantrum here and we’ll never have to talk about buying a puppy. Try it. Throw a tantrum now.” I threatened her.

She stared at me angrily, tears threatening to flow.

“Lionny, it’s not necessary to do this in public.” Junhyung whispered to me.

“Then get your daughter to behave.” I said.

“Ji Eun, we’ll go home first and discuss about the puppy, okay?” He tried to coax the girl.

“No! No!” She stomp her feet.

“Do it again, and it’s really the end.” I warned her.

“Shh shhh~” Junhyung hushed her.

We went home eventually, but she was obviously angry with me.

“Was that necessary?” Junhyung asked as we got ready for bed.

“What?” I asked.

“We could have just bought her the puppy.” He said.

“Don’t you get it? I don’t want them to feel that they can get anything they want just by throwing a tantrum and embarrassing us in public. I know you love them, but not like that.” I said.

“But didn’t you see how sad she was?” He said with a slight pout.

“Junroro, I know you want to provide the best for them, but you’re letting them climb all over your head, it’s not a good this way.” I said.

“I just want to be a good father to them. I want to give them all the love I did not receive when I was growing up.” He said.

“I understand…” I said.

“You don’t.” He said.

“You don’t know how much I want to spoil them. You don’t know why I am doing this.” He continued.

“I have never stopped you from spoiling them, but some control is needed, that’s all I am trying to say.” I said.

We said nothing and went to bed, but I was awake and so was he. I felt him put his hand on my belly, caressing me lightly.

“Baby, is what I am doing wrong? I just want all of you to have a happy childhood. Is it wrong?” He asked.

“It’s not wrong, Junroro. But you want them to have at least a bit of respect for you as their father too, right?” I asked.

He seemed a little startled at my sudden talking. He snuggled closer to me, saying nothing at all.

“We’ll buy the puppy on a condition that they show good behavior.” I said finally.

“Okay.” He said. I could hear the smile in his voice.

What do I do with a dad that spoils his kids so much?

/END OF FLASHBACK

“They’ve been on very good behavior too!” He said.

“Even if they burn the house down , you’ll say it’s good behavior too.” I said.

He let out a grin.

“Ahhh just let me buy them the puppy! Do you want one too? I’ll buy you one too.” I said.

“Just go and bake your cake.” I sighed.

“And the puppy!?” He asked.

“Buy, buy, buy! Buy the whole pet shop!” I grumbled.

“Really!?” He asked.

“NO!” I yelled back.

“Don’t yell. You’ll scare our baby.” He said, pointing at my belly.

“You know what will scare our baby more?” I asked.

“What?” He asked.

“Me murdering his or her father now.” I said.

His eyes widened and he hurriedly turned away.

After he was done with the cake, we went out. We first went to get whatever I needed, and then headed to the pet shop.

“You still can back out now. They wouldn’t know.” I said.

“Look at how cute he is!” He squealed, showing the puppy to me, hearing nothing of what I just said.

Indeed, it was very cute. He handed the puppy to me while he went to buy other necessary stuff.

“Would you bring more joy to our family?” I asked the puppy.

It responded by my hand. I guess it was a yes. Let us just hope for the best.

We settled the puppy down at home before going to pick the kids up. They were oblivious to the surprise that was waiting for them at home. Junhyung and I stood back as we watch them run into the house as usual, and then the puppy ran out of nowhere, jumping onto them. The surprised look on their face was so priceless. I turned to Junhyung who was smiling really widely.

“APPA!!! IS THIS REALLY OUR PUPPY!?” Ji Eun asked, sounding very surprise.

Junhyung nodded.

“I LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!” She gave Junhyung a tight hug.

“Love me only when I buy you a puppy?” He asked.

“Nooooo~ Appa, you know I always love you.” Ji Eun said, kissing him on his cheek.

“So can we send the puppy back?” I .

“NO!!!” She yelled.

“Don’t ~” Junhyung said.

“Now that we have the puppy, it is the responsibility of the both of you to take good care of it.” I said.

“We will!” They said, but did not look at me. I wonder if they really heard what I said, or were they just excited about the puppy and answering because they heard me talking. I reckon it would be the latter.

“Yongie ah~ Yongie~” I heard Junhyung play with the puppy after the kids finally went to bed.

“Junroro, not going to sleep?” I asked.

“After Yongie sleeps.” He said.

“Are you kidding me, Junroro? You’re planning on spoiling the puppy too?” I asked, surprised.

He just let out a stupid grin.

“You’re impossible. If there’s an award for going overboard with spoiling, you’ll definitely win.” I said.

He said nothing, except smile and went back to playing with the puppy. I have no idea if I should be happy or angry that he is acting like that. I want to punch him for behaving like that, but on the other hand, he looks so cute when he spoils them.

“I don’t know if you are lucky or what to have Junhyung as a father, baby ah~” I said, caressing my month-old belly.

Perhaps lucky. I rather him spoil them bad than abuse them. Then again, everything done in extreme would not lead to a good outcome, right? What do I do with you, Junhyung?

***
tumblrmc27likwmy1rrxzru.gifMInji: You’re an amazing father, you know.

tumblrm0vf6acvdl1qb4274.gifHaneul: Are you kidding me, Junroro? You’re planning on spoiling the puppy too?

tumblrme114uuewk1r67nlm.gifHaneul: Would you bring more joy to our family?