Equal love

Shared Responsibilities (Closing story to I'm Different, Crazy and Our World)

Seungho’s POV

“What have I done?” I buried my face into my palms.

“Calm down, hyung. Calm down. I’m sure she’s here.” Junhyung said to me.

He put Seol Chan down before coming back to me.

“I neglected her.” I muttered.

“Hyung, it’s not the time to be blaming yourself.” He said.

I in a deep breath, trying to calm myself down. I looked around the house. There were droplets of blood all over the floor in the living room. Did Minki hurt herself? But then again, if she did, I would have know because she would have cried.

“Minki!!!” I shouted.

“YOU SHOCKED ME, HYUNG!!” Junhyung smacked me.

“Sorry.” I apologized.

“Minki ah~ Princess, where are you?” He called out as we walked around the house.

We searched all levels twice but no sight of Minki. We even looked into closets and under the table. Where are you hiding, Minki ah?

“Would someone have came and kidnapped her without my knowledge? Or did she run away? I was so fierce to her. She must be so upset.” I blabbered as I panicked.

“Calm down, hyung! I said, calm down!” Junhyung shook me.

“HOW CAN I CALM DOWN WHEN MY DAUGTHER IS MISSING!?” I shouted.

“Would panicking help the situation?” He asked.

“NO, BUT I CAN’T HELP MYSELF OKAY!? SHE’S MY DAUGHTER, FOR GOD’S SAKE!” I yelled.

“I have kids too, hyung. I understand.” Junhyung muttered before walking off.

“Jun, I’m sorry.” I said, but all I got from him was a wave of his hand.

For the first time, I regretted living in a house this big. If we lived in a house where we could see the entire area in just a glance, it would have been much easier to look after them.

“Are we searching the wrong places?” Junhyung asked.

“Huh?” I asked, confused.

“Perhaps she’s not in the house.” He said.

“Not… in the house?” I asked, my heart racing.

“I don’t mean that she ran away or got kidnapped!” He said.

“But… you said… not in the house..” I muttered, feeling slightly light-headed.

“We didn’t search the backyard yet.” He said, grabbing my hand and taking the lead.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“Didn’t I just say we did not search the backyard yet?” He asked, sounding frustrated.

“Ouh.” I responded.

He stopped suddenly.

“What?” I asked.

“The blood droplets are spread out all over the house, and then…” He pointed to the back door.

“What happened!?” I asked, on the verge of tears.

“Maybe she hurt herself.” He mumbled.

“Did she try to kill herself because she was too upset with me?” I asked.

Junhyung looked at me with a horrified look on his face.

“Really, hyung?” He asked.

“I don’t know! I don’t know!!!” I stomped my foot, burying my face into my palms.

Minki, see how you turn your manly Deedee into someone like that?

“Let’s stop making assumptions and go find out, hyung.” Junhyung said, hugging me.

He pushed open the door to the backyard.

“MINKI!!!” I called out as I ran out.

“Blood, hyung.” Junhyung said as he pointed to the droplets of blood on the grass.

We followed the droplet of bloods and it led us to Minki’s playground. It stopped right at the foot of the ladder up the slide. She was not up there, so I looked down instead. I found her curled up on the grass patch under the playground, hugging her soft toy and asleep.

“Minki~” I called out as I squeezed into that tiny space.

“Minki~” I called out again.

Her eyes fluttered open slowly. She looked at me as though she did not recognize me for a split second, then her lips curled into a sulk.

“Sweetheart~” I heave a sigh of relief.

However, my relief was cut short when she showed me her palm; a long bloody gash decorated it. ]

“WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU!?” I shouted in shock.

“What is it, hyung!?” Junhyung asked as he crawled in as well.

“! How did that happen!?” He asked no one in particular when he saw the gash on her palm.

He pressed his palm against her forehead.

“No fever, hyung. But it looks bad. You should bring her to the hospital.” He said.

I nodded as I carried her up in my arms. She buried her face into my chest and clutched onto my shirt with her good hand. She did not even have the strength to clutch onto me tightly. How long have she been bleeding to be this weak?

“Elely~” She said weakly.

“What is it, sweetheart?” I asked.

“Elely~” She said again.

“Here you go.” Junhyung said, putting her elephant soft toy under her arm so she would be hugging it.

“Go, hyung. Hurry.” He said.

“The kids…” I muttered.

“I’ll take care of them. GO!” He pushed me.

I nodded and ran to the car with Minki in my arms. I grabbed a towel and wrapped it around her palm.

“You’ll be fine, sweetheart. Deedee is here.” I said, kissing her on her forehead before getting into the driver’s seat.

As I drove her to the hospital, I kept on checking on her to make sure she did not pass out or fall asleep. She was silent, but she kept on looking at me.

“Does it hurt a lot, my baby girl?” I asked, smoothing her hair.

She remained silent.

“Sweetheart, Deedee is sorry.” I said.

She turned her head away from me, looking out of the window.

In the hospital, the doctor who checked on her said that she needed five stitches for the cut. I cringed at the thought of Minki having to go through this.

“F… five? Is there… no other way?” I asked.

“The cut is really deep.” He said.

“But… but… she’s just… a baby.” I said.

He looked at me. I know he was helpless too.

“Okay.” I agreed softly.

I let Minki sit on my lap. I circled my arms around her waist tightly.

“Sweetheart, the doctor is going to stitch your cut, okay? It might be a little bit painful, but Deedee will be here with you.” I said.

She said nothing except buried her face into my chest.

I cried when I felt her trembling and heard her whimpering softly as the doctor cleaned her wound and stitched it up.

“It’s okay. It’s okay.” I hushed her, but was inconsolable myself.

It is my fault she had to go through this. If I paid more attention to her, this would not have happened.

“It’s done. You’re a brave girl.” The doctor said as he handed Minki a lollipop.

“Are you okay?” He asked me.

“Me? I.. I.. Yea.” I muttered as I wiped my tears embarrassingly.

“I suggest we keep her here for the night to monitor her. Although she has no sign of infection now, her wound was exposed for quite awhile, she’s still a baby so we should play safe.” The doctor said.

“Alright.” I said.

“Sweetheart, you’ll stay here for a night, okay? But don’t worry. Deedee wouldn’t leave you alone.” I said to her when she looked scared when I carried her to the ward.

She hugged her elephant soft toy close to her chest and pouted at me.

“I’m not leaving. I promise you. Tonight, I’m yours.” I said.

She let out a slight chuckle.

“Aye~ You really enjoy the fact I am yours, no?” I poked her cheek.

She cheekily tried to bite my finger.

“Lie down and rest. I’ll go give Junhyung ahjusshi a call first. He’s worried sick.” I said.

I went outside to make the call.

“How is she?” Junhyung asked worriedly.

“The doctor gave her five stitches…” He cut me off before I could finish.

“FIVE!?” He yelled.

“Yea. Five.” I muttered.

“That poor girl~ Did she cry a lot?” He asked.

“Surprisingly, no.” I said.

“You were the one crying, weren’t you?” He said.

I said nothing.

He burst into laughter.

“Shut up.” I hissed.

“Don’t worry. It’ll just be between us.” He giggled.

“The doctor suggested she stay here for a night to make sure she does not get an infection or anything of that sort.” I said.

“Oh. Stay with her then.” He said.

“Yea, but the babies…” I said.

“No worries, hyung. I can handle them.” He said.

“But both?” I asked.

“Yea. I’ll do it. Don’t worry, hyung. Tonight, dedicate yourself to Minki. You owe her this.” He said.

“Thanks, Jun.” I said.

“No problem, hyung. We’re in this together. Do you need anything?” He asked.

“No. I’m good.” I said.

“Okay then. Tell her that she scared me big time and that I miss her.” He said.

“I’ll pass the message. Thanks, Jun.” I said again.

“Aye~ Stop it. I’m hanging up. I hear Ji Eun screaming at Tae Hyun. Bye!” He ended the call.

I went back into the room. I laughed when I saw Minki playing with her toes.

“Sweetheart, you love your toes, don’t you?” I said, tickling her feet, earning a kick from her.

“You kicked me!?” I pouted.

She giggled, burying her face into her soft toy.

“It’s okay. I rather you kick me then see you weak.” I said, pushing her fringe out of her face.

“Deedee~” She hugged my arm.

“Does it hurt?” I asked.

She shook her head.

“You are like your Umma, you know? Both of you have a high endurance of pain. But sweetheart, Deedee have a weak heart. Do you know how scared I was when I saw your bleeding palm? Why didn’t you say anything?” I asked.

“I did…” She pouted.

“You did?” I asked, trying to recall.

Then I remembered that she came into the room while I was trying to hush Seul Ki to sleep. She called out for me twice but I made her go out.

“I…” I looked down, unable to face her.

She stuck her face under mine, forcing me to look at her. She smiled as she pushed the corner of my lips up.

“I’m sorry.” I apologized.

She shook her head and continued playing with her toes.

“How did you hurt yourself?” I asked.

“I fell down!” She pouted.

“Fell? Where?” I asked.

She looked like she had difficulty trying to explain to me where.

“It’s okay. Did you hurt yourself anywhere else?” I asked.

She shook her head, but I saw bruises forming on her knees.

“Is my sweetheart hungry?” I asked.

She nodded.

“Let’s go get some food then!” I said, letting her jump into my arms.

She was having a sweet tooth so we had pastries, cakes and ice cream instead of proper food.

“You’re Umma is going to kill me if she knows I let you eat like that.” I said, wiping her ice cream filled mouth.

“Deedee, eat!” She said as she stuff a piece of bread into my mouth.

“Is this your way of asking me to shut up?” I muttered as I chewed onto the bread.

I watch as she ate happily. She found joy in stuffing me with food too. Minki ah, do you know how hard it was for me to lose weight? You are screwing up my diet plan by feeding me with all these sweets. But if you are enjoying yourself, Deedee don’t mind working out an hour extra daily.

After food, I read her a bedtime story and pat her to sleep. She fell asleep quicker than I thought she would. She must be feeling tired from the crying and the blood loss.

“Sleep well, sweetheart.” I kissed her on her forehead.

I sat down beside her, watching her sleep. Until I was certain she was deep in dreamland, I headed outside to call Minji.

“I thought no calls allowed?” Minji chuckled.

“Then why did you answer it?” I asked.

“How could I ignore your call?” She asked.

“I miss you.” I said.

“How have you been doing? You sound tired. Are the kids giving you two a hard time?” She asked.

“Minji~” I called out.

“Hmm?” She responded.

“Minji, I thought I could do an excellent job in showing equal love to the both of them, but I realized I couldn’t.” I said.

“What’s going on, Lucky? Did something happened?” She asked, sounding concern.

“I… I don’t know how to be a good father, Minji ah. I feel like a failure.” I cried.

“Yah, yah~ What’s wrong?” She asked.

“I neglected Minki. I was so preoccupied with Seul Ki that I had shouted at Minki for the first time, and then I did not even know it when she got hurt. I landed her in the hospital. It’s all my fault.” I said.

“MINKI IS IN THE HOSPITAL!? YAH! WHAT HAPPENED!?” She shouted, but I could only cry.

She said nothing, except let me cry.

“I…” I calmed myself down.

“Calmed down? Can you tell me what happen now? I’m worried sick.” I said.

“She’s okay. Hospitalized for monitoring. But she had five stitches on her palm.” I said.

“Five?!” She exclaimed.

“I…” I bit my lower lip.

“Okay, okay. I’m not blaming you. Don’t start crying. Why do you have so much tears recently? I’m not there to hug you, so don’t cry.” She said.

“I could hug myself.” I mumbled.

She laughed out.

“Stop being so cute!” She said.

“What do I do, Minji? I feel like a failure.” I said.

“Seungho, sorry to burst your bubble but there really isn’t such thing as an equal love. There’s no way you can love the both of them the same.” She said.

Why does Minji have to be painfully straightforward all the time?

“But that doesn’t mean you cannot make up to them.” She continued.

“Make up?” I asked.

“If you spend five more minutes with Seul Ki now, then you go and spend another five more minutes extra with Minki after you’ve settled Seul Ki. Something like that. You’re only human, Seungho. You got to remember that. There’s no way you can please both Seul Ki and Minki at the same time, but you can please them separately in your own special way.” She said.

“And don’t say that you’re a failure, Seungho. You’re not, okay? You’re a certified excellent father.” She continued.

“Certified by who?” I asked.

“By Minji. Do you want to see the proof of certification?” She asked.

“Nawww~” I laughed.

“Don’t say such things again, okay? Do you know how proud I am to tell people you’re the father of my kids?” She asked.

“Really?” I asked.

“Of course! Who doesn’t want Yang Seungho to be the father of her children?” She asked.

“It’s because of that?” I asked sadly.

“I’M TEASING YOU!! CAN’T YOU TELL!? HAVE THEY TURNED YOU INTO A FOOL!?” She laughed.

“Don’t do this to me.” I muttered.

“Alright, alright. I’m sorry. Enough of the kids, let’s talk about you. Have you been well?” She asked.

“How can I be well without you?” I asked.

“That’s true.” She said.

“And you? Enjoying yourself so far?” I asked.

She went on to tell me about her trip. She sounded so excited although 90% of the things they have done in that week was shopping. The other 10% was eating good food.

“I’m glad you’re having fun.” I said.

“You don’t sound glad.” She said.

“Yea, actually I am not.” I chuckled.

“I’m -slapping you. Can you feel it?” She asked.

“Ouch. It hurts.” I played along with her.

“It’s late. Get some rest.” She said.

“Alright. You too, okay? Do you still have enough money to spend?” I asked.

“Why? Are you planning on giving me more?” She asked.

“How much do you need?” I asked.

“Enough for my panpy to be smiling again.” She said.

I smiled at her answer.

“I love you, Lucky. While I worry for the kids, my biggest worry is actually you. Are you eating well? Are they torturing you? Are you sleeping well? Are you very stressed out? And so on. All these thoughts fill my head daily.” She said.

“Then come home.” I said.

“Sorry, what?” She asked.

“Come home.” I said.

She let out a loud laugh.

“No.” She said.

“I’m just kidding. Enjoy yourself and stay safe, okay?” I said.

“You too.” She said.

“Enjoy myself?” I asked.

“No. Just stay safe.” She said.

“I will. Love you.” I said.

“Call me tomorrow, I want to talk to Minki.” She said.

“Sure. Sleep well, love.” I said.

“Sleep? I’m going for supper!” She said excitedly.

“Haaa~ Eat well then.” I said.

“But I want to eat you! Angh!” She said.

She ended the call before I could reply her, perhaps due to embarrassment.

I went back into the room and sat down on the chair beside the bed. I was sleepy, but I could not seem to fall asleep. I stared at Minki for the whole night, watching my angel sleep.

Minki ah, Deedee loves you. Please do not say that I don’t because it hurts me a lot. 

***
tumblrlw0tc97cf41r331am.gifSeungho: F… five? Is there… no other way?

tumblrlxkatkgplv1r42ppi.gifSeungho: What do I do, Minji? I feel like a failure.