The Past

ON COMA

 

Chapter 1: The Past

It was then Jongup’s 8th birthday as he was strolling around the mall with his mom. By the time he and his mom passed by a store that sells toys, he stopped by and admired the objects from the outside.

“Umma, let’s go to this one!” he shouted as he pointed out at the store. He turned to look at his mom, but he saw no one. “Umma!” he called out again, but no umma could be found. He ran away from his spot to go around and look for his umma, but again, no one was there. That’s when he began to cry.

Just then, a group of young adults were busy chatting with each other until a crying boy came up to their sight. The youngest of the group went to the boy and crouched down in front of him.

“Hey there, little buddy…” a 12-year old boy said as he put his hands on Jongup’s shoulder. The younger of the two raised his head up, revealing his swollen eyes and puffy cheeks. “I... I lost my umma...” Jongup cried out and covered his eyes with his arm, wiping them away. The older boy sighed with a soft smile, signaling his hyungs and noonas to go on with their shopping.

“Say, kid. Why don’t we get you some ice cream and go find your umma?” the older of the two said with a smile when the others left. Jongup finally stopped crying and smiled at the other boy. 

“Uhm… Okay...” Jongup said with a soft smile.

“YAH, KIM HIMCHAN!!!!” a loud squeaky voice of a female startled the two, causing them to look at the source of the voice. “H-Hyosung-noona!” the boy named Himchan got up and ran to his sister. The 15-year old female had her arms crossed on her chest and was having a grumpy look on her face, looking down at Himchan since she was three inches taller than him.

“What did I tell you about shopping alone??? Your friends said you told them to leave you. Do you want umma and appa kill us both??? HUH?? HUH?!?” Hyosung said as she inched her face towards Himchan.

“Of course not! Besides, I’m trying to be an angel, here. Look at him!” Himchan said as he grabbed Jongup’s tiny and fragile body and carried him in front of his noona. “UWAH! What a cute little child!” Hyosung said and grabbed Jongup from Himchan and carried him instead, spinning him around.

“Yah, yah, yah! Hyosung-noona, do you want to kill him or something?!” Himchan scolded and grabbed Jongup back, letting him rest on his shoulder. “Psh. I was just playing with him. By the way, whose kid is that? Are you going to kidnap him?” Hyosung said and began walking, with Himchan and Jongup following behind her.

Little did the two adults know, Jongup was smiling from ear to ear even though he lost his umma. “First of all, I’m not going to kidnap him. Finally, he’s lost. How can I just stand there when this cute boy was lost and crying?” Himchan said, making Jongup giggle at the word cute. Stranger-hyung thinks I’m cute ^-^

“Did you already check his backpack? Maybe there’s a contact number or even an address. Oh, wait here. I’m going to buy us some ice cream” Hyosung said when she spotted an ice cream stall.

“Yah, kid. It looks like evil Hyosung likes you. What’s your name by the way?” Himchan smiled at Jongup. Both of them were now sitting on the bench in front of the stall. “Jongup. My name is Moon Jongup!” the younger boy said with a cheery tone and a happy smile.

“Well, Jongup-ah, my name is Kim Himchan. Remember that. And since I’m older than you, you should call me Himchan-hyung. But I prefer Himchannie-hyung because it’s cute. And I’m going to call you Jonguppie. Understand?” Himchan said, looking at Jongup’s pure, innocent eyes. Jongup nodded with a cute hum.

“By the way Jonguppie, did your umma give something to you? Like a piece of paper or anything?” Himchan asked. The younger boy pouted a little as he tilted his head sideways, then started to shuffle something in his SpongeBob bag.

He got a small piece of paper and handed it to Himchan. “So this is your umma’s phone number. Let’s call her right away!” Himchan said as he fished his phone out of his pocket, dialing the numbers with his small fingers.

“Yobeosaeyo?” an anxious female voice was heard on the line. Himchan guessed it was Jongup’s mom. “Mrs. Moon, if you may excuse me for calling you but Jonguppie is currently with us right now.”

“Jonguppie? You mean Moon Jongup? Where are you right now? I’m coming right away!” Mrs. Moon said as Himchan heard the sound of heels being tapped on the floor rapidly. He guessed it was Jongup’s mom running. “Uhm, we’re currently at the third floor in front of Mr. Creamy ice cream stall” Himchan replied.

“C-Could you please put my baby on the line?” Mrs. Moon requested. Himchan immediately gave it to Jongup. “Don’t worry umma. Himchannie-hyung is a good hyung! He’s taking care of me ^^”

“My baby... Okay, umma’s going to hang up now, okay? Wait for me, I’ll be there!”

“Arasseo, umma! I’ll wait for you!” Jongup said and handed the phone to Himchan again. “Did I miss something?” Hyosung said, carrying two cones of ice cream on her hand. He gave the strawberry-flavored one to Jongup and kept the vanilla-flavored one to herself.

“Yah, how come I don’t get an ice cream???” Himchan complained and pouted. Hyosung scoffed at her dongsaeng’s attitude. “First of all, Kim Himchan, you’re not as cute as this boy. Second, I’m not a fool to buy a coffee-flavored ice cream and finally you’re old enough to buy yourself one”

Himchan pouted more and slouched on his seat with his arms crossed on his chest. Just as then, a young looking woman came to their view and ran to them, hugging Jongup in an instant. “My baby!” “Umma!” they both said in unison. Good thing Jongup didn’t spoil his ice cream.

Jongup’s mom was beautiful. She has this delicately pinkish white skin, long brown hair, sharp eyes, pointy nose and thin, pursed lips. Her figure was great, like a model’s; not too fat nor too thin. She was tall, about five foot seven. Jongup looks so much alike his mother, even if as a child.

“Are you the one who called?” the lady asked politely. Himchan and Hyosung immediately stood up and bowed to her. “Yes, I am, ma’am. But it was really Hyosungie-noona who took care of us both”

“You two are so precious. A simple ‘thank you’ is not enough for this. Say, what do I have to do to pay you back?” Mrs. Moon asked, making both Himchan and Hyosung shocked. They both shook their head and formed an ‘X’ using their arms.

“No need to, Mrs. Moon. Besides, Jongup is a very obedient child.” Himchan said. Hyosung nodded. It was then the time for them to say their goodbyes. Jongup and his mother walked few meters away already, but the little boy ran back and stood in front of Himchan.

“Did you forget something, Jonguppie?” Himchan asked, crouching in front of the boy and ruffling his hair. “Aniyo. I just wanted to give you this.” He said, taking his necklace off and putting in on the elder boy.

“What is this for, Jonguppie?” Himchan asked, looking at the pendant. “It’s a Topaz, hyung. It’s a reminder that we’ll see each other again. I got myself an Emerald one, the same form as yours. Please take care of it as long as you remember me.” Jongup said and placed and innocent kiss on the elder boy’s cheeks.

“See you soon, Himchannie-hyung~” Jongup shouted, waving as he ran back to his mother. Himchan and Hyosung looked at the fading figures.

“Yah, Hyosungie-noona, we’ll see Jonguppie again, right?” Himchan said and looked at his sister, only to see her covering with her hand and almost crying. Himchan gave her a confused look but she ignored it.

“She’s so beautiful, Himchan-ah... Do you think I would be as beautiful as her when I get older?” she asked, completely ignoring what Himchan was saying earlier.

“YAH, LISTEN TO ME WHEN I’M TALKING TO YOU!!!”