November 27, 2013

Diary Of A Boy Going Blind

After my first encounter with them, days seemed to slip by, and before I knew a week had already past. As much as they welcomed me into their group, I still felt my walls up, as strong as ever. Because as I realized, as much as I was getting, I was also loosing. The more they welcomed me and gave me their friendship, the more I knew I would only loose it when my disease completely took over. But while that was all on my mind, I didn't have the strength to say no to them. I couldn't deny their kind offerings because I was too greedy. I was alone for too long, and with the little attention they gave me, I ate it up, craving for more. For it wasn't just their attention I was grasping for, no, it was the one that held my intrest from the first time we met. Mr. Popular. The boy with the fiery eyes. Kai.

I felt as the week went on that our friendship was growing. it felt almost natural as it progressed. His smiles, his laughs, his gestures, everything he did only grew my attachment. We didn't hang out all the time, and I think that's what also kept the mysteriousness about him. We weren't around enough to have an awkward silence, or uneasy shuffling. No wondering what to say next. We only saw each other enough to pass greetings, give a few laughs, and exchange smiles.

What I wasn't expecting, was for him to be introduced into my life after school. The one place that I thought was my secret, my one place where I plastered on a smile and greeted strangers, none of which knew me as the Lone Wolf, Mr. Mysterious, or the awkward loner. No, I was Do Kyungsoo, their server. The one that they gave their orders to, the one that served their food to, the one who filled their glasses when half empty, and the one they left tips for, calling out to them "come again", as they walk through the doors, the bell gingling. It was my one place where I was a nobody, a person without a title.

That's why it caught me so off gaurd when the door gingled and I looked up greeting,

"Welcome." With a smile, only for it to fade into a frown when I saw the familiar fiery eyes.

"Kyungsoo?" The boy called and my lip twitched.

I watched as he walked up to the counter in three fluid steps, resting his arms onto the wood.

"Kyungoo, you work here?" He asked looking at me from head to toe, well I guess from my head to halfway of my stomach, since the rest was cut off by the counter.

"Yeah, my parents own the shop." I replied softely, scratching the back of my neck.

"Really? That's cool." He said his head nodding up and down.

"And you? Why are you here?" I asked once again gaining his attention.

"Me? I was a bit thirsty and this was the closest shop, so I just thought I would swoop by and get a drink."

"What would you like?" I asked, my waiting side kicking in.

He looked up at the menu before looking down at me with that famous smirk,

"What would you recommend?"

"Well," I began turning to look at our menu even though I knew every drink by heart,

"If your craving something sweet, then I recommend our Carmel Drizzle. If your looking for something more refreshing, maybe our Cool Berry Breeze.."

"How about you?"

I glanced at him confused,

"What about me?"

"What's your favorite drink?"

I furrowed my eyebrows,

"My favorite drink?"

I never really thought about it. Biting on my lip thinking about it, I finally answered,

"I guess it would be the Chai Tea Latte."

"Great then I'll have one of those."

"Really?" I asked looking at him in disbelief.

"Yeah, why not."

Ringing him up, I handed him a receipt and told him his drink would be ready in a couple of minutes. He nodded giving me a "sure" with a smile and I watched as he went over to a table, pulling out a chair, and sitting down. Making his drink, I couldn't help but glance every now and then over the machine curious as to what he was doing. But like any other normal customer he was just sitting there, waiting. After a couple glances he must have felt someone staring because when I glanced again his eyes also went up at the same time making our gazes lock. My eyes went wide with surprised and giving me a smile all I could do was give a small one in return. Finishing his drink, I called his number, and watched as he got up from his seat, once again walking over to the counter. Grabbing the drink, he gave a small thanks, before bringing the straw to his lips and giving it a small . I could only stare at him.

"What?" He asked.

"Is it good?" I was curious.

"It's amazing, but I think that's because you made it."

I felt my cheeks heat up and it took him twice to get my attention again,

"Kyungsoo, are you ok? Is it another headache?"

"Huh? No. I'm sorry I spaced out. What did you ask?" I asked looking at him and his face full of worry,

"I asked if the sign on the window is true?"

"The one about help wanted."

"Um yeah, my mom says that the shop is too much for just one person."

"Especially since I'm..." I began to say but caught my tounge.

So stupid

"Since what?" He asked taking another sip of his drink.

"Since I'm busy with homework and such."

"Well that makes sense."

"Is there any requirments?"

"For what?"

"To work here. Is there any experience needed?"

"Why?"

I was confused, why was he asking so many questions.

"To know if I could work here silly."

"You want...to work here?"

Now I was totally confused.

"Why not? I could use the job and this place needs someone. Besides I think it would be cool if we worked together."

"Um..I could ask."

I didn't know what else to say.

"Great. Well I have to finish up some things and head home."

"Ok."

"I see you tomorow, k." He said walking away.

Stopping under the doorway, the bell gingled as he spoke,

"Oh and thanks for the drink Kyungsoo."

I only nodded as his figure disappeared out the door. Taking a moment to breath, I let myself droop to the counter, my legs seeming unable to keep my body up. Letting my head rest on the cool wood, I tried to relax, but that moment was short lived when the door gingled again and a new customer walked in. Jumping back up, I plastered on a smile, becoming once again a nobody.

___________

 

Later that night, I was sitting at the dinner table with my mother munching on food she had just prepared. Hearing as she cleared , I looked up to see her smiling at me,

"So how has things been so far?"

"Hows school?"

"There fine." I stated monotonely contemplating if I should say the rest.

She just looked at me and seeing as I wasn't going to answer any more, she looked back down at her food, cutting a piece of meat and placing it into .

"Oh is tha-"

"I made some new friends." I felt myself say as the words came out of my mouth.

She stopped chewing and looked at me,

"Really? That's great Kyungsoo. Just great."

I watched as her whole poster changed. She seemed to become more relaxed and a smile even came to her face, her bites becoming quicker.

"I'm glad since everything that has been going on has been, well." She didn't bother to finish the last part, it didn't need to be said.

"I have a question."

"Shoot." She said and I pushed it forward before I could contemplate,

"It's about the help wanted sign at the shop."

"What about it? I know you arn't very happy about it, but I think it would be easier for you if yo-"

"I have someone...who's intrested."

"Oh really? How great, do you know this person?"

"He's.. umm.. actually one of my new friends. His name is Kim Jong In."

I felt my tounge tingle as his name slid out of my mouth.

"Even better. Tell him he can start whenever."

"Really?"

"Of course."

_____________

 

Finishing my homework, I pushed my textbooks aside, my lingering thoughts of the boy on my mind. It seemed almost sureal. First the whole incident by the stairs, then our run in at lunch, the meeting of his friends, to now with the shop.

We'll be working together

I felt myself smile. Taking the hidden journal out from its covering, I slowly began to write,

 

November 27, 2013

 

Dear Diary,

 

My life has seemed to change so much

And it isn't just because of the disease.

 

While I only met this boy just a week ago,

He's seemed to attach himself to my life,

His presence making itself known.

 

And as much as I know

My gain will turn into lost

I want to gain more.

I want to become attached.

 

He is the only thing keeping my mind of this curse.

 

He is the first to see me,

Truely see me.

 

And I hope he is the last thing I see.

 

 

-Do Kyungsoo