November 19, 2013

Diary Of A Boy Going Blind

If I expected some sort of revelation, I never found it. Waking up the next day, everything fell into the same routine. I woke up, got ready, went downstairs to find my mother whisking about- once again trying not to be late for work- and grabbed my things, heading off to school. The bus was like every other day, crowded, and it took all my willpower to keep from turning around and screaming at the person who kept bumping into me every time we'd hit a dip. I was glad when I felt the solitary concrete below my feet, freeing me from the confind hell called public transportation. Maybe I should just walk. I shook off the thought immediatly after knowing that my house was way too far, making it impossible for me to walk. Sighing, I unconcously shrugged my bag farther up my shoulder, once again walking through the entrance gates that highlighted my mundane life.

I don't know what I was expecting. Scratch that. I don't know why I was expecting something. Because of what happened yesterday? I rested my head on my locker, letting my hand fall down halfway trying to get my english literature textbook. I closed my eyes, letting the cool metal ease the burning in my forehead, as my thoughts once again filed with yesterdays unexpected events. I sighed. Opening my eyes, I was brought back to reality when the bell rang signaling the first bell of the school day. Grabbing my textbook, I shut the locker and headed up the stairs. Like every other day, I walked past the crowded hallway, all filled with students trying to get to class. However, unlike any other day, when I reached the same classroom I went to at 7:15 in the morning, I slowly came to a stop under the doorway. I didn't know why, usually I would have ducked through the door and head straight to my seat, staring out the window and escaping to my own little world. But today. Today I was expecting something, all because of yesterday. I stopped under the doorframe for a split second, my body straight ahead and as rigid as a piece of stone. I kept my face poker, but I couldn't help but let my eyes shift to the side quickly stealing a glance at the group who usually occupied the front corner of the classroom. They were there like usual, but instead of abstentmindely glancing over them, I searched. I searched for the boy with the fiery eyes, and when I saw him sitting with that casual smirk I felt something within me stir. After the split second, I kept walking, the gesture so quick and small I doubt any of them or anybody else would have noticed. Walking to the back corner of the classroom like usual, I placed my bag at the side, sliding into my seat and setting down my textbook. I shifted, turning to grab my notebook and pencil out of my backpack. Leaning down, my eyes involuntary shifted up once again towards the group of boys at the front of the classroom and again I was met with something unexpected. Fiery eyes. My own eyes widened as I locked eyes with the boy I kept thinking about, but not wanting to seem flustered, I just let my eyes cast downwards towards my bag and grabbed my things, making it seem as if I hadn't really noticed him. Setting them on my desk along side my textbook, I turned towards the window and let myself fall into my dream land. 

______

The bell rang and I turned away from the window, watching everyone as they packed their stuff quickly and head off to their next class. I myself began to pack my things when I felt a presence loom over me. Closing the zipper on my bag, I titled my head up to see the very thing that lingered in my mind. That tanned skin, those sauntering eyes, those sinful lips. Sitting straight up, I didn't know what to say so I just gave him a nod in acknowledgment as I got up, playing casual.

"Hey Kyungsoo. Are you feeling better?"

Midway picking up my textbook, I looked up at him and was met with a face filled with worry and eyes filled with sincerity.

"Mmhh. Thanks." I muttered, fully picking up my textbook and letting it rest in my arms. 

I watched as his face soften just a bit before his eyebrows furrow together quizically. Putting his right hand on my desk, his fingers stratched at the wood and I was momentarily distracted before he spoke, making me once again look up at him,

"I don't want to seem nosy, but seeing as you practically fainted by the stairs, I wanted to know if you are sick, or maybe you just didn't get breakfast, or..." 

His voiced trailed off and I took that as my cue to pipe in some sort of answer. Wrapping my arms around the textbook which rested over my chest, I looked at the clock, great only two mintues left to get to class.

"I get headaches that's all."

"Oh." He simply replied, taking his hand away from the desk and awkwardly placed it into his pocket. 

He looked as if he was going to say something else, but I tooked a quick glance at the clock drawing in a breath and he followed my gaze, swearing under his breath.

"Sorry..I'll um talk to you later." He said lowely and I just nodded before slipping out of the room and practically sprinting to my next class.

_________

I was glad when lunch rolled around, but not the fact that I had already a lot to make up for missing yesterday. Placing my textbooks into my locker, I grabbed my luch and headed off to my retreat. Walking down the hallways, past the cafeteria, past the library, past the courtyard, I slipped behind the last building and walked into the little open field that layed at the back of the school. It must have been a garden at some point I thought, seeing as there was a section that was layed out for different vegtables and flowers. Sitting down, I was glad to escape all the noise and rapid movement. My silence though was short lived when I heard a familiar voice,

"Kyungsoo? Do Kyungsoo, is that you?"

I turned to look over my shoulder to find the tanned mystery standing there with curiosity written across his face,

"It is you. May I?" 

He gestured to the area next to me and I just gave a small nod before turning my attention back to the garden that once was. I listened as the grass gave way, flattening with every step he made towards me. Reaching me, I looked up and followed his face as he sat down next to me, not close enough to be brushing against each other, but not far enough to where I couldn't reach him, before he turned his head towards me and we locked eyes.

"Hello." He smiled making his eyes crinkle slightly,

"Hi." I whispered.

His eyes went from mine to the open field, as he looked around with a sense of inquisitivness,

"Is this where you eat everyday?"

I was still looking at him before my gaze shifted out to my own little sanctuary, contemplating whether or not I should be happy that someone else has discovered what was mine. 

"Yes..it is." I replied after a couple minutes of silence.

He looked at me and when he saw the look I was wearing he placed his palm onto the ground readying himself to get up,

"I'm sorry if I'm bothering you, I'll just leave." He began, a underlying tone of disappointment filling his voice.

Still not looking at him, I stated probably a little too quickly,

"No! It's fine. I should be the one apologizing."

This made him stop and look at me,

"Why's that?"

I turned so that I was fully facing him this time confidence in my voice,

"Here you are making sure that I'm alright and yet I'm ignoring you."

"Well I wouldn't necessarily say it's ignoring..." He said lowely, scratching the back of his neck.

"I am. It's just I have a lot on my mind lately."

"Do you want to talk about it?" 

I looked up at him.

"You don't have to, I was just..."

"I-I'm sorry. I don't think I'm ready to talk about it." 

And I wasn't. Who wanted to talk about their fleeting vision. I felt all my confidence suddenly disperse from my body.

"It's alright. I just really wanted to make sure you were doing better since yesterday." He reasured me and I felt an eriee comfort around him.

"A lot better, thanks for your concern."

"And these headaches, do you get them often?"

"Yes, it runs in my family." I lied.

"Do you have medicine for it?"

"Yes." This wasn't a lie.

He just nodded as if answering his own question before once again looking out at the open field. We sat there for a couple minutes, and I didn't notice that I had yet to touch my food. Preocupied with just feeling a presence next to me, I didn't hear the first time when he asked me something.

"Hm?" 

"I asked if you're always alone."

"Yeah, but it doesn't bother me."

"Really, you don't get..lonely."

With the mention of the word I shifted my head, looking at him. He glanced sideways at me and I casted my gaze downwards towards the ground, abstentmindedly running my hand through the grass.

"Of course I get lonely." I said honestly.

Probably surprised for my uprightness, he looked at me quickly before leaning back and resting on the grass. Placing his arms behind his head a small smile tug across his lips,

"I'll admit that wasn't the answer I was expecting."

"Well it's the truth." I replied before also leaning back on the grass and my attention now fixating onto the clouds that swam across the sky. 

"If that's the case, wha-what if you hanged out with me?"

"What about your friends?"

"You can meet them too, don't worry their good guys. They can be flimsy some times, but I trust them with my life."

I looked out at the sky. Trust them with his life. How I wished for that kind of friendship. Someone I could trust with my own life. 

"But what about others?"

"Others?"

"I'm the lone wolf of the school, remember?" I said, resting my head to the side and watched as his hair blew lightly around from the wind. 

He also shifted his head looking at me,

"Every wolf has it's pack."

My eyes widened a bit as a small smile was placed on his lips and all I could hear was the sound of the wind. 

______________

Setting down my pen, I closed my textbook and rested my chin on my desk glancing at the clock that lit my dark room. 11:36. My eyelids began to grow heavy and I had to blink a couple of times to get myself awake. Putting away my homework, I pulled the small journal out between two textbooks before placing it before me on the table. Opening it, I flipped it a few times before coming across a blank page. Grabbing the pen I began to write.

 

November 19, 2013

 

Dear Diary,

 

I hear that expectations only lead to disappointment.

Will mine?

I don't want to be lonely anymore 

And here I have an offering hand.

Do I accept it?

 

The boy with the fiery eyes

Mr. Social, Mr. Popular

Do you think he can rid me of my sadness?

My pain?

 

He says he wants to be friends,

To meet his friends,

Maybe someday we could even be..

Even be more.

 

Am I expecting too much?

 

I am called the lone wolf.

But today I was told,

Wolves have packs.

 

Do you think,

That they are my pack?

 

Do I, 

Really belong somewhere?

 

- Do Kyungsoo