November 18, 2013

Diary Of A Boy Going Blind

I shifted not feeling comfortable. The bed creaked with my movements as I moved around trying to find a comfortable spot. After a while, I sighed, tired. Giving up on finding a comfortable position, the alarm clock blared, signaling that it was time to get up. Groaning, I to my side and warily opened my eyes, allowing the aralm clock to go from blurry to clear as my vision tried to adjust. Taking my hand, I hit the top of the alarm clock, cutting off the annoying sound. Happy that the noise had ceased, I rolled back onto my back, just wanting to close my eyes and go back to sleep, but sighed knowing that I had to go to school. Sitting up onto my elbows, I slid my legs off the bed, feeling the cool wood beneath my feet. Pushing off my elbows, I sat completely upright before fully getting up. I must have got up too quickly though, as I clutched the bedside table to keep me from falling. Giving myself a couple seconds to adjust, when I felt grounded I started to move towards the bathroom. Turning on the shower, I stripped, and once the water was hot, I stepped in, allowing the warm water to collapse around me. I closed my eyes feeling myself heat up, and after washing myself, I turned the knob, stopping the water. Grabbing the towel that hung on the door, I patted myself dry before stepping out. Facing the mirror, I looked at my reflection, locking eyes with the stranger who stared back at me. I looked from his messy hair, to his face, with was mostly filled with, as others like to put it, doe like eyes. Dragging my eyes down to his nose, then his lips, I sighed once again, putting my face in my hands before running them back through my hair. One month left. 

"Kyungsoo are you ready? It's almost time to go."

I looked at myself once more in the mirror before turning around and walking out. Getting dressed, I left my room, walking down stairs and into the kitchen. Seeing me, my mother quickly greeted me with a smile as she ran about collecting her things. 

"Hey sweety. Sorry I'm in a hurry. I have-"

"Work. I know."

"Your lunch is on the table and there is leftovers in the fridge that you can heat up once you come home."

Walking around the island, she came to a stop in front of me, putting her hands on my cheeks. 

"I love you, no matter what."

My eyes flickered to the clock before looking back at my mother,

"Mom your going to be late."

She glanced from the clock back to me, 

"Crap. You know that I love you hun." 

"Also don't forget to take your medicine."

She kissed the top of my head before turning around and grabbing her stuff, running out the door,

"Don't be late!" She called and I could only shake my head. 

Grabbing the lunch she made off the counter, I went over to the cabinet. Opening it, I took out the prescription the doctor had given me and shook out two pills. Walking to another cabinet, I grabbed a glass and filled it with water, swallowing the pills. Putting the glass in the sink, I shrugged my bag on, walking over to the door. Bending down, I pulled on my shoes before walking out. Closing the door behind me, I walked down the street hopping onto the bus, being dragged off to school. After a couple minutes, we came to a stop and I watched as a flow of students filter off the bus. Looking out the window once more, I got up and left. Feeling my feet touch the sidewalk, I heard the bus door closed behind me and the sound of the engine as it left. Tugging my backpack higher onto my shoulder, I began to walk, going through the front gates. It was like every other day, with people running around, some in groups, others alone. Girls would run about in pairs, some by the lockers, other lying on the grass, all probably gossiping on the latest news. Guys would be in groups, sitting at the benches, or playing games, all checking the girls out. Of course there were the few who went through the school all alone, a book being their only company. I was one of those. As I walked across the yard to the hallways I could feel the stares of girls, but none ever came up to me. I guess it was the aura I gave off. One time I heard a few girls talking about me, saying I was hot, but that I gave off a cold feeling, making them too afraid to come up to me. I didn't mind though. I was considered as the lone wolf, and I didn't dare changed my image to prove them wrong. It was comfortable not being attacked by fan girls, or dragged into the latest rumors, but I had to admit, it did get lonely. 

Walking down the hallway, I opened up my locker and pulled out my literature book. Of course I would have english first period. Hearing the bell ring, I sighed slamming the locker shut. Having class on the second floor, I walked up the stairs and down the hallway turning into the classroom. As I walked in, a group of guys by the door suddenly stopped talking and looked in my direction. They must have thought I was the teacher, for they sighed in relief when they saw me, going back to their conversation. I looked at the familiar faces, seeing them around school always in a group, but one cought my attention. As the others had went back to their conversation he kept looking at me. His eyes held a certain glint in them, making me transfixed. We stared at each other for a couple of seconds before his attention was broken and he turned to the person who was tapping his shoulder, trying to gain his attention. Shrugging, I started to walk to the other side of the room, sitting down at my assigned seat, glad it was next to the window. Getting my stuff out of my bag, I shifted my head towards the group again, watching as they all laughed, at ease. I sighed looking down at my desk as I placed my things down. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit jeoulous at how they were. Slowly lifting my gaze at the group again, I locked eyes with the same person as before making me in my breath. Feeling caught, I turned my head quickly to the left looking out the window. Feeling his stare, I shifted uncomfortable and was glad when the teacher walked in taking his attention away from me. 

________

 

After the bell rang people began to get up, leaving class. The group of guys and the boy with the fiery eyes left, and I felt myself albe to relax. I've seen him around of course, but I've never put much thought into him. He was, well that whole group was, the center of girls attention. While I was quiet and studious, they were loud spoken and social. The one with the fiery eyes was especially popular, always grabbing girls attention. He was super social and got along with everyone, making me wonder enviously how he did it. It was as if he didn't try and people just gravitated towards him, which was nothing like me. Getting up from my seat, I lifted up my book and headed out of class. Walking down the hallway, as I reached the stairs, a group of girls ran around me, chasing each other and squealing. With the rapid movement, and the high pitched squeals, my vision blurred and my head began to ring. Taking my hand, I clutched my head, feeling as if someone was crushing it. As they ran about, one bumped into me and I felt myself slip on one of the steps. I couldn't think, I could only feel myself falling and knew I didn't have time to react. Closing my eyes, because of the pain that filled my head, I waited to feel myself fall down the stairs, but in never came. Slowly opening my eyes, I looked up to find the same boy I was just thinking about holding onto my wrist with one of his hands and my side with his other. 

"Kyungsoo, are you alright?"

He knows my name? I looked into his eyes, which were now filled with worry instead of his usual fiery gaze. Feeling my head ring out in pain again, I clamped my jaw together, gritting. Black dots jumped around my vision, making my head spin. I watched as his face filled with worry began to blur and before I knew it I grunted,

"It hurts."

Feeling darkness take over me. 

_______

 

I shifted, feeling uncomfortable. Moving around I felt sheets in my hand and knowing I wasn't at home I shot open my eyes. Sitting up, again too quickly, I clutched my head which once again filled with pain.

"Woah, slow down tiger."

I looked up to find the nurse walking over with a glass of water.

"Here, drink this."

Taking the cup from her hand I croaked,

"What happend?"

"You came in here knocked out. A young boy was carrying you, saying that you had fainted by the stairs. You know you're very lucky he was there, if you would have fallen down the stairs..."

"He carried me?"

I didn't mean that to be said aloud, as the nurse looked at me with a smile.

"Kind of him isn't it. He's a good kid."

"You know him?"

"Well he's quite popular. But as a secret between you and me." She began leaning in closer, making me a bit nervous, as she whispered,

"He actually helps me out when I'm busy."

"Really?"

I looked at her unconvinced, I wasn't excpecting her to say that, but I'm glad it wasn't what I was actually thinking. 

"Don't give me that look. I know he doesn't seem like the type but he means well."

I would have never expected him to be the type. I mean he didn't seem like a jerk or anything, more like too busy to do things that envolved helping others. Taking a sip of the water, a pain shot out through my head making my face crinkle.

"You alright?"

"Yeah. I just get headaches thats all." I lied.

Looking up at the clock, I cursed under my breath, seeing I practically missed half the day. Getting up, I slid off the bed gathering my things.

"You sure you want to go back to class?" I looked to see her face with furrowed eyebrows and a frown, so I gave her a light smile.

"I'm fine."

Walking over to the counter, she grabbed a slip,

"Alright...name?"

"Do Kyungsoo."

"Well Kyungsoo, if you get more headaches feel free to come here and I'll get you some medicine, ok?"

"Will do."

"Good. Here you go, this is for class. Have a good day sweetie, hope you feel better." 

She handed me the slip and I quickly walked out the door, watching her wave, as I left. Walking to class, I knocked on the door, grabbing the attention of the teacher and the whole class. Taking the slip from my hand, the teacher just gestured to the back of the room, going back to his lecture. Bowing an apology, I quickly shuffled to the back of the room sitting down. Not really bothering to listen to the lecture, I let my attention fall to the kids outside the window at P.E. Looking around at the students all running around, one person caught my attention. It was the same boy, but this time instead of wearing his uniform he was wearing sweats and a loose top. Running, his hair moved wildly about him and I could see a bit of sweat forming on his skin making him glow. I watched as his face made different expressions as he went, and every once in awhile I noticed that he had a habit of bitting his bottom lip. Going to his group of friends, someone must of said something funny, because now they were all laughing. I almost fell out of my seat seeing him smile. Caught off guard, I gulped not ever really paying so much attention to a person, especially not a boy. The teacher tapping at his desk made me turn towards the front of the classroom, flickering my eyes towards the teacher. Giving me a look, he continued his lectured and I finally pulled out a notebook quickly jotting down the notes I had missed. 

______

Sighing, I dragged my arm across my forehead, collecting the sweat that had formed there. As the last customer left, I walked over to the window turning the open sign to closed. Turning back towards the store, I began to pick up the chairs, placing them on top of the tables. Once finished, I went to the back room, grabbing a broom before sweeping. Placing the broom back in it's place I pulled my apron over my head, putting it back on its rack. Grabbing my bags, I went over to the cash register, collecting the money and putting it into my bag. Walking around the shop I made sure everything was cleaned. Chairs up, check. Money, check. Pastries, check. Everything looked good, so I went to the wall turning off the lights. As darkness filled I opened the door locking it shut behind me. Pushing my bag higher on my shoulder, I walked down the street hopping onto the bus. Arriving home, I pushed opened the door and was welcomed with silence. Sighing, I went over to our back room putting the money into our safe. Walking back to the kitchen, I opened the fridge taking out the leftovers. Eating it cold, because I was too lazy to wait, I went through the same routine I did every night when I came home to an empty house. Once finished, I washed the dishes and went upstairs, kicking the door shut. Falling into my chair at my desk and clicking the lamp light on, I took out my books and for the next couple of hours I did my homework. Finishing u,p I looked up at the clock reading, 11:55. Great. Sighing, I leaned my forehead on the desk tired. Lifting it up, I placed my textbooks back into there spot, ready to go to bed until the familiar journal cought my attention. Reaching over, I pulled it out opening it to an empty page. Taking a pen from my stack I began to jot down todays story,

 

 

November 18, 2013

 

 

Dear Diary,

 

Today was the first day that I experienced the side affects of my incurable blindness. 

Truefully it frightens me knowing that this is only the beginning.

The pain, it hurts.

It feels as if my head is being crunched together and at any moment it might explode.

Please tell me it will get better, even though I know it won't.

 

Today was also my first encounter with him.

Mr. Popular, Mr. Social.

How much I envy him and his easy going life.

It was like a scene from one of the dramas my mom always watches.

I was by the stairs and a group of girls were playing around.

Getting dizzy, I slipped and I would have fallen if it wasn't for him.

 

I don't even know how to explain it.

In that moment when I opened my eyes and was met with his.

The feeling of his arms around me. I've never felt something like this before.

I've seen him around, but truefully he's never crossed my mind, well not like this anyway.

I mean, I knew that I would get a crush at some point and what-not, but I never expected for it to be him.

The boy that I don't even know, the boy with the fiery eyes.

To be Kim Jongin. 

 

-Do Kyungsoo