little talks

A vague memory.

The bed side light flickered through the dark room. The cool air blew. I tugged against the hems of my blanket, trying to fall asleep.

"Are you asleep?" he said. I stiffened up, and shutted my eyes tight.

"Sleeping..?" he asked once again. I didn't felt like responding, so i waited for what he had to say. By the sounds of sheets ruffling , i concluded that he started tossing and turning around his bed. He probably couldn't sleep, but neither could I. How would i actually think I could've acted cool about what happened just now and just slept it away? I grunted in my mind. "You....really didn't thought of me at all, all these years?" he said suddenly, almost whispering. I kept silent, trying to make the impression that i had fell asleep and didn't heard what he said. why does he care anyway..

Our backs were facing, but what is this feeling i can't comprehend? I'm not too sure but his words really tugged my heart. I rather you be mean then give me all these mixed feelings..just what is this... i sighed mentally, settling my heart bit by bit. The ruffling sounds stopped, and I fell asleep soon after, thinking he did too.

*

The table were laid up with a bunch of delicacies for breakfast. There were scones, strawberry cakes, muffins, crossaints.. Ah! Crossaints. I love them. Wooyoung thought. It was the last meal before the camp is over. Everyone tugged into their meal heartily. Wooyoung placed a crossaint onto his place and started to dig in as well. "this is yummy, you should have some too" he said softly to chansung. He turned around to see that Chansung had already ate 2 pieces and was now reaching for the cake. Should have known well enough he doesn't need to be told... Wooyoung grinned.

The camp concluded with a with a loud applause from the students, signalling that it was a big success. Wooyoung left for his apartment, which his parents had prepared for him when their stubborn son decided to return to Korea.

*

The first semester of school finally started. Students from different years rushed in for their first classes. Wooyoung came to school with Chansung. They soon seperated although they were taking the same minors, they were taking different majors. They would share the same classes occasionally but most of the time they had seperate lectures. Wooyoung headed to the school of medicine and chose a seat at the far corner of the lecture hall. The lights went dim and the lecturer began his lessons.

Barely into the lesson, Wooyoung who was trying to focus on the lesson was slightly disturbed by the sudden slight opening of the lecture hall door. Since he was sitted at the far back, the door was right next to him so he couldn't help but noticed. He squinted his eyes, trying to see who was the irresponsible latecomer. It was nichkhun. He turned back into his books immediately, almost instinctively.

Nichkhun saw him as well, looking surprised. He quietly close the door and tried to blend in by sitting the closest seat he could find. Beside wooyoung. Wooyoung could see at the side of his eyes, that nichkhun sat beside him. He wasn't sure if this was a good or bad thing, but it can't be helped. He couldn't protest in this dead silent lecture hall anyway so he brushed it off. Hours went passed and the lecture was finally done.

"Okay, as for the first week of your classes, I have to list you all according to your grades" how realistic... nichkhun thought. The lecturer continued, "You all have to do a proposal on the stuffs i had discussed earlier. It would have to be done in pairs. To make things simpler, the person beside you will be your partner." he said and left the hall. Students murmured amongst themselves, finding it unfair that they couldn't choose their own partners. As for wooyoung, as stunned as he was, he tried to control his expression. He took a glance at nichkhun who had an unreadable expression.

"Seems like we are partners now." Nichkhun coughed. "Guess we are..."

*

Wooyoung ordered a cup of iced chocolate for himself and a hot vanilla latte for nichkhun. They were at starbucks trying to figure out their proposal. Wooyoung placed down their drinks and sipped on his iced chocolate. He left a text for chansung indicating he would be stuck with a project for a while. "So now..where shall we start?" wooyoung asked.

They started their proposal with the different aspects of Clinical Sciences and Investigative Medicine they were taught just now. Two hours had passed. Nichkhun loved looking at wooyoung when he was concentrating on the proposal. He liked how he talk and the way his lips falls into a pout whenever he came to a tough part of the proposal. "Case 43 Parasitic disease...shall we do an example of this?" Wooyoung asked. Nichkhun shook up, and stopped spacing out. "Ah yeah sure.. for para..." he continued, taking a sip of his latte.

Suddenly, a phone rang. Nichkhun received a call from his parents.

"Nichkhun darling where at you, and what time will you be coming home?" Mrs horvejkul questioned. better not tell her wooyoung's back, else she would over react... nichkhun silently thought.

"I'm just writing out a proposal our lecturer gave us in class just now."

"our? us? who?" .. now he was caught.

"Wooyoung..." Nichkhun replied softly.

"Omo? Wooyoung? Jang Wooyoung? He is back from States? This is big news. I missed him so much! Bring him over for dinner, i'm sure your father would like to see him too." "Wait..what..mom?!" Nichkhun tried retorting "Ok? Hanging up now~" The line went dead. It all happened in an instant he had no choice since his mother didn't even listened to him.  Wooyoung lifted an eyebrow picturing all the different expressions nichkhun made in just that 1 minute.

"My mother invited you over for dinner..." Nichkhun said hesistantly. "If you don't want t.."

"Sure, i'll go! Since i miss Mrs horvejkul alot!" he cut nichkhun's words and shrugged. They finished off their drinks and headed towards nichkhun's house.

*

"Wooyoung ah! You have changed so much i don't even recognise you." She said, checking out the now tall and lean guy standing infront of their door. "Come in.. i whipped up a feast!" Wooyoung smiled and went in. They all settled down on the dining table and were now slicing up steaks she had prepared. Nichkhun felt really awkward but at the same time heartwarming. Ten years ago, he was also sitting there. It was nice seeing wooyoung sitting and dining with them again.

Nichkhun's parents bombarded him with questions and wooyoung replied enthusiastically each time. He is still the wooyoung back then... nichkhun admired amusingly. But nichkhun felt different this time. He wasn't jealous that his parents were showing affections towards wooyoung now. He couldn't explain the range of different feelings he was having.

"Where's your parents and how are they doing?"

"Oh..they are still back at the states! I insisted on coming back to study in Korea's university so they couldn't help it~ hehe." wooyoung replied. hmm..? He came back alone huh.. nichkhun thought.

"So now where are you staying??"

"Ah. My parents bought me an apartment approximately 15mins away from here. I'm living alone~"

"That must be lonely. Nichkhun you better visit wooyoung frequently. Or accompany him often." She cornered her son. Nichkhun, surprised at the sudden command from his mother, choked on his steak slice. He coughed. "w-what?" he said, barely catching any breath. "oh darling, eat your food properly."

Wooyoung was also quite surprised at the sudden words she pulled so he just silently nodded and dug back into his food. They spent the next half an hour catching up quite alot. They chatted so much that they forgotten the time. It was really late into the night. Mrs horvejkul was worried but wooyoung insisted it was fine if he walked home alone. But he couldn't win an adult afterall. Nichkhun was forced to accompany wooyoung home. "It is really not necessary..."

"No more discussion, wooyoung ah. You two can also catch up along the way! Go go hurry, it's really late." She pushed wooyoung and nichkhun out of the house.

You two better make up... she mentally said. She noticed the awkwardness between the two when they were dining so this was one of her many future attempts to fix it. She hope that they would become best friends like wooyoung's mother and her. It was a little fantasy of hers. But of course, she didn't knew that it might lead to more than what she hopes.

*

"You know..you don't have to..."

"It's alright, my mother asked me to, anyway."

They walked together for the next ten minutes in silence.
 

"So... how are you and that girl?" Nichkhun said, trying to break the awkwardness and at the same time fufil his curiousity.

"Which girl?"

"How many girls do you even have to ask which?" he rolled his eyes and scoffed.

"well..if you count those in states that'll be..."

"okay stop stop. Didn't accompany you to let you brag about the number of girlfriends you made." nichkhun cut him off. Idiot...do you really think i had made any.... wooyoung thought. They soon reached the doorsteps of wooyoung's house.

"Bye.. and thanks..somehow." Wooyoung said, trying to make it sound as ignorant as possible.

"That's it? You should at least repay me, now i have to walk back even though i'm so tired." Nichkhun joked.

"Then..." wooyoung approached him slowly. "how about..." he looked right into nichkhun's eyes, their faces were 1 cm apart. Nichkhun was actually expecting something. His heart began beating faster. "just kidding. have a good night." Wooyoung teased, retreated, and stuck out his tongue. He shut the door loud.

ugh this guy........