ticktock

XII

 

IV

 

 

 

AARON YAN’S POV

 

“WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU?” 

 

I looked down to my shirt to see blood stains. “I helped a girl out.”

“Are you sure? Don’t lie and tell us that you simply helped a girl out, could she be in a gang? OH NO AARON! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? ARE YOU THINKING OF TURNING YOURSELF OVER TO THE DARK SIDE?”

Calvin, Jiro and Wu Chun looked over to see me roll my eyes. “I was just being a good neighbour.”

“Uh huh, sure it is.” Calvin sighed, adjusting the tie to his suit.

“Even we got invited this stupid charity ball.” Jiro murmured.

“Not only is it a charity ball, but it’s also that idiots 18th bash, can’t we just bail?” Wu Chun questioned.

“I don’t think that’s possible, our parents will be there and they did warn us not to act rashly. If it wasn’t for my good family’s honour, I would’ve skipped this lame get-up and ditched this whole thing.” Calvin heavily sighed.

“Unlike us, Aaron you don’t have to show up. Your parents aren’t as strict as ours. You can ditch this whole fiasco but you will be missing out. If that stick-up pushes any buttons, he will have a drink poured over his head. No wait, if he steps out of line, there’s no harm in helping the poor souls who don’t know how to stick up for themselves right? I am quite chivalrous don’t cha think?”

I buttoned my dress shirt and fastened the tie around my collar.

“My father wants to send his regards to the prime minister for all his hard work but since he couldn’t come to this extravaganza himself. I will be going in his place.”

“Pushing the son to do it for him? Mhmm, that sounds like bull to me.” Calvin whispered.

“The last thing I want is to come face to face with that overbearing kid. I will just go and greet a few people then I will be off.”

“Lucky for you.” The three of the Fahrenheit members exclaimed loudly.

 

 

 

GUI GUI’S POV

 

“WHAT ON EARTH HAPPENED TO YOU?”

 

 

Flashback

I slowly opened my eyes to see a white ceiling above me. I slowly sat up and glanced around the room.

“Where am I?”

I softly asked myself as a boy around my age came into the room. “YOU ERT! I REMEMBER YOU! HOW CAN YOU– AHHH!!“ I made an attempt to get up but when my feet touched the floor, I felt a sudden tinge that sent shockwaves through my leg.

“AUGH.” I looked down to my foot all bandaged and taken care off. Then I looked back to see the boy’s face so close to mine. My eyes widen as I calmed myself down and recalled what happened. He had caught me in time before I fall to the floor. Before I have anytime to process anything else, he lifted me up, placing me back on the bed.

“W–WHAT THE HE–HECK ARE YOU DOING?”

“You need to take care of that injury. If you don’t, your injury will get worse.”

“AND WHY DO YOU CARE SO MUCH ANYWAYS?”

“I am just being a good neighbour that’s all.”

“Excuse me?”

“No need to thank me, I am just being a good citizen.”

We stared at each other for a while before he picked up his bag. “I have to get going, I have something to do tonight so do not do anything rash. Stay here and–“

When I attempted to get up again, he pushed me back down. “WHAT IS THE BIG IDEA?”

“You can’t walk! Stay, lie down and behave like a patient!”

“I CAN’T! I WON’T, GO AWAY AND LEAVE ME ALONE.”

I pushed him away and tried to get up, but the pain was starting to grow and before I knew it, I fell. Only this time, he didn’t catch me.

“I told you already, stop refusing!”

“I WANT TO GO HOME!”

“Huh?”

Aaron stood there dumb-strucked. “... Take me home...”

I repeated myself once again as I looked up to meet his gaze. “... Please... Take me home....”

He looked over to the nurse who gave him the approval. Seeing how she was so desperate to walk, he put her arm on his shoulder.

My eyes widen as he put his hand on my waist. I was about to pull away from the sudden closeness but his grip was greater than mine. In addition to my injury, I couldn’t do anything but to comply to him. As we walked back, I couldn’t help but notice how nice he was. To help a stranger out, it was rare to see someone help anyone out. Let alone, a complete stranger whom only met coincidentally.

“... Thank you.” I whispered quietly, “I hate hospitals, I have always hated the way it smells... It would always remind me of...” We have suddenly stopped walking. Curious, I looked over to him to see his gaze fixated on the ground.

“I guess what they say is true.”

“Huh?” He shot a surprised look. “They say it is easy to pour your emotions out to a stranger versus someone your close to. It is right, it is easier to talk to a total stranger.”

 

End of Flashback

 

 

“What happened to you Gui?” Dean asked once again in a softer voice. “I didn’t know how bad it would be once I came back. The door is broken but we can get that fixed but this room will have to be cleaned as well... Gui... What were you–” He stopped and deeply sighed. “Who is he? The one who dropped you off, who is he?"

I looked up at him and faintly smiled. “A stranger who kidnapped me to the clinic to get my foot bandaged like this.”

I looked over to him to see his reaction but all I got was a smile in return. “Anyways, here.” I took the envelope but I didn’t need to look at the contents inside. “I told you already, I am not going.”

Then he laid a nice wrapped box on table, lifting the lid up to reveal a mask. “Dean...”

“Can you do this for them Gui? The head butler and the head maid request for your attendance to the party. I know you hate these types of parties but it’s a charity event organized by the prime minister himself. I will be there so you won’t be alone entirely.”

“They want me to go as well?”

“Yes, everyone wishes you would go.”

“But I am no longer...”

“Gui, no matter what anyone says. You are the late Wu’s beloved daughter and my friend, with me by your side, you have nothing to worry about!”

“That’s easy for you to say since your such a ladies’ man, the girls would swoon over to you in seconds! Then I would be alone entirely.”

“Have faith Gui, I can’t believe your doubting your handsome friend!”

“It’s not that I don’t believe in your words, it’s just that the idea of dressing up and talking to strangers is completely ridiculous to me.”

“You can find your prince charming there, Gui.”’

“I thought you said you’ll be my prince charming if I ever needed one?”

“When did I say that? Are you framing me?”

“Nope, you said so once.”

“Once...”

We both cleared our throats. “You can take this chance for revenge.”

“Huh?”

“Think about it, your stepfamily loves money, fame and fortune so why don’t you go to this party disguised, roam around and find a rich looking man, cling onto him and make them jealous. Even though I am quite a catch already, I know you–“ Dean stopped to see Gui listening intently.

“I’m kidding Gui, I am seriously joking around with you. There’s no way such cliché things can happen in this world. Although I am sure you will meet plenty of people to expand your social network but Gui, revenge isn’t the way to go.”

I touched the bandage wrapped around my feet, I was prepared to take it off when he stopped me. “Gui, don’t.”

“I will be disguised so no one will recognize me right?” Dean nodded. “Don’t worry, I will be able to escape if anything happens and besides, you will there right?” He nodded once again, slowly this time. “Then I will go.”

 

 

I took the mask and the invitation before reaching over to the big bag that was right beside him. “But can you walk?”

“I will figure a way.” I held out my hand. “Can you help me walk to my room?”

He gave me one of his famous smirks. “I don’t like that look you’re giving me!”

“Aww Gui, all you have to do is say so and I will be yours!”

“NO! NO! NO! EARSE THOSE THOUGHTS AND SIMPLY HELP ME!”

Dean laughed, purely enjoying the tease. Even if it is short-lived, it was still fun.

 

 

As time continue to tick away, Dean was getting more impatient as he waited in the living room. Continuously wondering when she was going to be ready for the ball. Just when he thought his patience ran out, he heard the door click.

I walked out in a champagne coloured dress. It wasn’t big or fluffy, it wasn’t the princess ball gowns you see every Disney princess wear. But nonetheless, it is still a beautiful dress that complimented my skin tone extremely well.

 

 

 

QIU SHENG YI’S POV

I glanced at the party my father planned, it was beyond irritating how he took over my party and now I spend my sweet 18th with a bunch of old folks whose main focus wasn’t for me, it was for my father.

William, Fabien, Ah Wei and Ao Quan have already left this boring party to hit the club. Why couldn’t I do the same? Simple, cause my father placed a bodyguard to make sure I don’t escape. I deeply sighed as I straightened my tie and stared at the crowded ballroom.

I looked disinterested at the crowd, the ladies in the crowd all had big ball gowns, shiny jewelry and the smell of various perfumes and colognes could be smelt. But among the crowd, a pair walked in. Quickly catching my attention, I looked over to the girl who was wearing a simple, less puffy dress. Whoever this girl was, she has officially caught my attention.