ticktock

XII

 

 

 

XX

 

 

Gui suddenly stops when she receives a call. She took a glimpse at the caller and instinctively, she turns around to find two bodyguards standing firmly behind her. Masking their expressions through their sunglasses, her happy emotion turns sour in an instant.

“Long time no see Miss, Wu Ying Jie. We have been instructed to bring you back.”

“There is no need for me to come back.”

“Madam Wu expresses her concern for you Miss. She has instructed us to bring you back safe and sound, to where you belong.” 

The guards passed her something; Gui debated but she opens it to see a ticket tucked inside. The guards went over to the car and opened the door, waiting for her decision. It was a ticket to the auction. It was a different ticket then what others posses. With this ticket, she could go and see her father’s treasured stuff. This was her one and only ticket to see them. This could be a trap her stepmother graciously set up… this could be all a trick… regardless, Gui braces herself when she walks over to the car.

With a beating heart, she made up her mind.

 

Thump… thump…

 

Thump… thump…

 

Thump… thump…

 

Mrs. Wu walks into the room and stares at the portrait of her late husband. If only she wasn’t a fool, she could’ve fall for him. Look where she is now, she knew her hard work will fall into her lap. She hoped this day could go on and on, for the rest of her life. Everything she has ever wanted, is now hers. Everything she has ever dreamt off, she was living that dream. Despite everything she has ever wanted, she knew deep down that there are some things that aren’t going to fall into her hands so easy. It has never been easy but was it worth the risk? She could take everything she has and flee, but her character wouldn’t let her off. This is what she wants, this is what she dreamt off, everything was almost in her grasp. She just needs a tighter grip.

She watches the lawyer exit the showroom and sighs. She has conjured a million reasons why her late husband will tryst Fujioka with this but all her reasoning has turned to ash. Just when she got him figured out, this man knew when to flip her. She really can’t figure him out. She was so busy analyzing what he had told her to realize Ying Jie walk in. She knew Ying Jie would come. There wasn’t a doubt in her mind. Every object in this space belonged to her late husband and whether she wants to acknowledge the fact or not, this was the close relationship Ying Jie shared with him. 

It took a lot for her not to bring down into tears. As her eyes saw each object in the room, her mind ties her memories with it. It was almost unbearable but she couldn’t release herself from it. The pain, the agony, the memories pin her to the estate. As her eyes went around the room, she found her memories heighten when she saw her stepmother standing in the middle of it. Ying Jie stops, Mrs. Wu clears as she continues to stare at the portrait.

“Your father was always an enthusiastic. He would try to bring everyone together, even though everyone wasn’t so keen about it but still, he was the man who made it his mission to try.” Why was she bringing this up now? “Do you have any thoughts about coming back into the estate?”

“No, I left that day.”

“I know it was hard for you to leave. I grew up in a household who would trash the meaning of family and it isn’t until recently I got a taste of that its like. To desert everything you know and try to start new. Your father was kind, he wanted to build a family. Here I am, and I ask you to reconsider Ying Jie. What are you doing this for? If you wanted to show me how well you can live without your family, you proved it. If you wanted to show me how strong you could be after burning all—most of your father’s things, I took note of it. Reconsider Ying Jie and try to picture us living together again. It might not be the perfect family but we can at least try to work it out. Your father would’ve wanted this.”

Gui scoffed, she made up her mind when she left the estate. After witnessing the heart wrenching scene of her stepmother tearing, tossing and burning everything she held dear to her. This proposal sounded like a set-up, a upscale to her master plan. How can she trust her? After everything they’d been through? She knew her stepmother could even the playing field and why would she? Gui looks at her, she was strong enough to see her, let alone stand in the showroom surrounded by memories of her father all around her. 

“Fine, I want you to come back and you know why don’t you? Yes, for the will that’s in your name.”

“All for this stupid will? You worked so hard to kick me out and now you want me back in?”

“We can do this the hard way if you like. This is me trying to be considerate and understanding to you.”

“You can’t stand being around me, let alone living with me.”

“Your father’s inheritance… you are to transfer yours to me.”

“WHAT?! HOW CAN YOU DO THIS TO MY FATHER AND ME? I KNOW YOU DON’T LIKE ME BUT HOW CAN YOU DO THIS TO MY FATHER—YOUR HUSBAND? DON’T YOU HAVE ANY SHAME IN DOING THIS?”

“Only you can change the will and…” She paused for a moment before taking a sigh. “… I need you.”

“WHAT MAKES YOU THINK I’M GOING TO SIGN EVERYTHING OVER TO YOU?”

Mrs. Wu looks at Ying Jie and smirks, Gui stops talking as she realizes who she was talking to. Her stepmother was known for gathering information. Gui looks at the doors to see bodyguards standing there.

“You’ve played the game well.” She whispers.

“This doesn’t have to be a game Ying Jie. We can have that mother-daughter relationship, we can be a family.”

“That is on a condition, I transfer my right to the will to you right?”

“This doesn’t have to be a game and you know it.”

Gui looks around the room and closes her eyes. At times like this, she hoped that her parents were still alive to tell her what to do. This girl is scared, lonely and hopeless. She can’t even secure her own inheritance so how is she supposed to handle this by herself? 

“Think about it, for you and those close to you.” Gui looks at her stepmother as she smiles. 

Yes, she knows about her and what she has been doing for the last couple of days. It didn’t take her long to track her down since she discovered her daughter’s lie. Reen told her mother that she was going to hang out but it wasn’t a simple hangout so she disguised some guards to make sure her daughter was safe during the duration of the trip. Only to discover someone else unexpected there for the trip. So with a little digging around, she found out how foolish her stepdaughter was. Being around these people, does she truly believe that she can be happy being with them?

Other than the Prime Minister’s son being there, it didn’t matter to her. This Once Upon a Time fairy-tale every girl dreams of can be in other people’s life; all but Ying Jie’s. 

Mrs. Wu walked towards the exit and with a snap of a finger, the projector came down and Gui’s legs gave in, she looks at the pictures on the screen, showcasing the people she came across during the time she spent away from home. When did her stepmother plan this? Mei Mei… Wu Chun… Jiro… Calvin… Aaron…  everyone from her trip… everyone she came to cherish…!

Mrs. Wu walks out of the room, “continue to keep your eye on her.”

“Yes Madam.” And she left. 

Madam Wu stops to see Rainie standing in front of her. 

“So… did you know?”

“Of course I knew. I never planned to auction the old man’s things; this was the only way for me to see Ying Jie.”

“So when I woke up this morning to take the items out, you already knew I would do it didn't you?”

“I always knew you and your stepfather were close and at one point, I knew you couldn't turn a blind eye on this. My intuition was right, you did come for the items afterall.”

“Then tell me mom, will you really be happy with this? Are we going to be a family now that Ying Jie is back in the estate?”

“I’ll see you back at home darling.”

 

Rainie stood by the door and looks over to see Ying Jie sitting lifelessly on the ground, hugging her knees while looking up at the screen. This was her mother’s warning to her, ‘do you want them to turn out like you?’

She was so close yet so far. Rainie made her way into the room but she couldn’t get close to Ying Jie. She was in a place where she couldn’t intervene, not when her emotions are flying all over the place so she just stood back and looked at the screen. It just goes to show that her mother isn’t the type to be crushed. There were pictures of Reen and she knew that her little sister played a big part in this. But despite everything that had come down to this, she can’t bring herself to blame Reen. If anyone who should be at fault, it should be everyone; for letting their guards down.

Gui detected someone behind her. Without speaking, she was keeping her company in the dark. “…Thank you for keeping my father’s things safe…” Gui whispers while Rainie remain quiet. They both stare blankly at the screen to see their old family pictures pop up, bringing up sentimental memories Rainie thought she had locked away deep in her memories but upon seeing them, she could falter and lose her will to keep her mother’s wish. Who would have known that Madam Wu not only caught one—but a cage with two birds trapped inside? Just by looking at the screen, Rainie knew that Ying Jie can no longer run away. Needless to say, she can’t afford to. Not when the stakes are raised higher than they were initally.

As the images continue to play, Ying Jie got up with the thought of considering the offer when Rainie held onto her wrist just in time before she could leave.

“This is our family business; let’s not get them involved.”

As the two sisters stare at each other, they knew what their goal was and for once, they agreed on something. 

“Rainie… Can you promise me something?”

They could say it brings them back to the past but who will admit it? Rainie understands and took note of what would happen if she didn’t do anything about it. Before she could say anything, she heard footsteps rushing over to them. 

“The things were here?!” Reen eyes widen as she glances around at the antiques. “Man, I thought we got rid of this junk!”

“GUI!” Dean looks at the two girls and smiles. 

“Thank goodness you’re safe!” Gui smiles weakly. Dean wanted to get out of this place when all of the sudden, Rainie spoke up. “I promise.” Gui turns around to see Rainie and smiles. Leaving Reen and Dean out of it, they looked at each other and shrugs. Dean didn’t want to ask them about it, he walked out of the room with Gui.

 

And when they were gone, Rainie turns to look at Reen, puzzled as to what she was planning on doing. She was going to ask but when she noticed the screen, her eyes widen.

“NOOO WAYYYY?!!” Reen was angry that someone managed to take some sneaky pictures of her while she was on her trip with her friends. “WHO DID THIS?”

Rainie crosses her arms and raises her brows. ‘Do you have any idea what you’ve just done?’ is what Rainie wanted to ask but she didn’t have the willpower to put the blame to her sister. She just stares blankly at the screen and hopes that everything wouldn’t turn into war. 

“Wait until I get my hands on the paparazzi! They are going to lose their job!”

“Let’s head home; we have a lot of things to do.”

“What? Why? I’m thinking of―”

“Didn’t you hear what mother said? We have to prepare the house, our sister is coming back.”

“NOOOO WAYYY! WHY? DID YOU HELP MOTHER CONVINCE HER TO COME BACK?”

“No I didn’t.”

“THEN WHY IS SHE COMING BACK? I TRIED TO HARD TO KEEP HER OUT! I EVEN TOLD HER DURING THE TRIP, HOW CAN SHE GO BACK ON HER WORDS?”

Rainie made her way out of the room. She caught the guard’s attention and shakes her head. “I know my mother told you to keep an eye on Ying Jie but now that the situation is like this, forget about what my mother said and just continue what you have always done. Wu Ying Jie will come back when the time comes.”

“Yes.”

Then she turns to look at Reen who was still fuming. “Reen, let’s go.” Reen walks over to her sister. 

“Are you still going to go through with this?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Aaron, are you still going to like him?”

“Why not? If mom meets him, she’ll fall in love with him too!”

No, Mom can’t meet him.”

“WHY NOT?!”

“Reen, I am saying this for your own good.”

“No, I don’t believe this. I’m going to follow my heart. Even you, Rainie Jie can’t stop me.”

Rainie watches Reen storm out of the venue, ready to change the world (well in her mind). Then she turns to one of the guards. “Instead, keep an eye on Reen.” The bodyguard and his team chased after Reen in a haste. Rainie deeply sighs as she looks over at her own guards, instructing them to send a team to store the late Wu’s items in a safe place before making her way out.

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

Dean walks out of the store with an umbrella in his hands but when he got back to the place where he firmly told her to wait for him, he scratches his head and concluded that had already left. He should’ve known, she had no intention of staying. Not when Madam Wu gave her a clear warning. He reaches into his pocket to retrieve his cell, he calls her but he was transferred over to her voicemail. In frustration, he stares at the umbrella in his hand and sighs; the rain doesn’t look like it’s going to lift up anytime soon.

 

 

Pit a pat… pit a pat... pit a pat…

 

Pit a pat… pit a pat... pit a pat…

 

Pit a pat… pit a pat... pit a pat…

 

 

 

“Why did you not listen? Why did you go? Gui…” Dean’s voice repeated over and over again in Gui’s mind. 

Then her stepmother’s voice came up, ‘think about it, for you and those close to you.’

Aaron looks at his watch and he mentally punched himself. He effortlessly pulls his hoody over his head and walked into the rain. When Gui hadn’t come back, he got worried. He ran from corner to corner, street to another, in hopes that she will miraculously appear before him. He searched and searched for her, if he knew this was going to happen, he should’ve come out with her when she went out to buy ice cream. Now, she wouldn’t pick up his calls and he is going crazy at the thought of something might’ve happened to her. He didn’t care that there was no shield to cover him from the cold rain, all he thought about was finding her—safe and sound.

 

 

Huff, Huff . . .

 

Huff Huff . . .

 

 

For what went on felt like hours gone by, he thought he would have to call the cops but when his eyes saw hope, he stops and blinks his eyes before confirming who it was.

“YING JIE!!” He ran over, wraps his arms around her drenched self as she looks up to see who it was. “Aaron…” 

Again, as if it was on repeat, her mother’s voice rang in her head, ‘think about it, for you and those close to you.’

“SERIOUSLY, WHERE WERE YOU?” Aaron quickly took off his jacket and wraps it around her before running back to the apartment building. She was drenched in the rain, her body was ice cold and there was no one to blame other then himself. He wanted to talk to Gui about where she was but in her state, would she answer him with a clear mind? So he quickly went to the door and froze, he just remembered that he ran out so fast that he forgot to take the key with him. 

“Opps… I forgot the key…” Gui looks up at him as he ran his hands through every pocket it had on him, “I’ll call Jiro. He has a spare key.”

After several rings, he got connected only to find out that his friends were all busy doing who knows what. Seeing how Gui was about to collapse, he held his hand up to her forehead, confirming that she might be slightly feverish. “Can you still walk?” She nods weakly before feeling Aaron’s hand on hers, leading her out of the apartment building and they made their way elsewhere. Her mind became fuzzy and without having recollection of what happened, she zoned out.

For the next couple of hours, Aaron changed Gui out of her wet clothes and quickly wrapped the soft cotton robe around her body. He took care of their wet clothes in the bathroom, leaving it to dry there for as long as he could before bringing himself back to Gui. She was tucked in, the fluffy blankets warmed her up and he hoped that this was all it took for her to regain conscious. He had changed out of his clothes, she was sleeping and silence welcomed him like a friend. He has nothing to do other than to turn on the TV. News channels, dramas, music channels and endless infomercials were broadcasted. Instead of shutting it off and welcoming the silence back, he decided to listen to settle for the best entertainment that wouldn’t leave him cringing, the news network.  

Gui was seconds to stirring in her sleep. In the dreams she had, she was revisited by her father who kept reminding her, how wonderful to be beside someone special. It didn’t occur to her how deep his words rang through her till she woke up. She lifted her heavy eyelids to see herself lying on a comfortable mattress, wrapped in something cozy and warm, as she stares blankly up at the ceiling. Was this also a dream? She turns to her side to see someone lying beside her. Lying on top of the blanket, without any comforters and warmth. She turns her body in his direction and noticed that this person lying beside her was none other than Aaron. The last thing she remembered before she fell to sleep is something about her stepmother… Rainie… Dean… Aaron… “Can you still walk?” anything after that, nothing.

She gently got up and wraps the blanket over his sleeping form. She looks down to see her body in a robe. What happened? She walks around the room to find their clothes hanging in the bath room, the TV still on the news channel and everything else was left alone. She could only imagine what he had to do to keep himself entertained. She walks over to the TV and listens. Political affairs, scandalous discovery and talks about worldly matters were the most discussed matter. She went back to her clothes in the washroom and folded his nicely before coming over to hers. She stares at it for the longest time and decided to change into them. 

She steps out of the washroom and slowly, she walked to him. He was still asleep and carefully, she sat down and smiles. Maybe this is as close as we can get.

 

Thump… thump…

 

Thump… thump…

 

 

Gui leans in and kisses him on the lips. She steps back when she saw him stir in his sleep, he turned to his side and when he showed no signs of waking up yet, she found herself losing years of her life. She walks over and caught him smiling. Even in his sleep, he could be so happy. 

As if it was on the verge of haunting her, her mother’s voice rang in her head, ‘think about it, for you and those close to you.’

Gui steps back and shakes her head. No… this can’t happen… No. She broke into tears as she imagines what her stepmother would do to them. They could be together but there will be obstacles along the way. She knew her stepmother, she prefers guys who were influential, who has a title, wealth and enough power. Even though she wasn’t Reen or Rainie, her stepmother will find ways to break them apart. Gui steps away in tears as she scribbles something down. 

For you and those close to you… what would you do?

She opens the door and closes her eyes, as if she was reconsidering this. With the energy she had left, she closed the door and left. Leaving Aaron and a note that says: This is over, we are over.