ticktock

XII

 

 

 

 

XXIV

 

 

The curtains were held back, letting the sunshine through the room. Distant voices in the background and in seconds, giggles followed shortly after. Dad would playfully whisk his little angel off her feet and twirl her round in circles before inviting his wife in. Together, the three would dance round and round in an endless daydream, the helpers around the house would stop and occasionally join in—because the late Wu and his wife wanted everyone to relax and have some fun.

Gui woke up to the sound of knocks on the door. She slowly opens her eyes to see Sheng Yi staring at her with a smile. “Good morning princess.” She heard his whisper as he straighten up. Standing behind him was her butler who smiled at her, as contagious as it was; she smiles too. 

“The dance instructor has arrived. Would you like me to the two of you there?”

Gui looks over to Sheng Yi who was looking at her with an amused expression. 

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“It can’t be nothing, what is it?”

“You were drooling.”

Gui quickly wiped the side of her lips and came out dry. 

“Liar.”

“Tease.” He corrected her. 

Gui rolls her eyes and looks at her butler. “No thank you, I know the way.”

“Yes Miss.” He turns on his heels and left the library. 

“I can’t wait to tease you and Reen’s engag—” She suddenly thought of Aaron and Reen’s date. “Anyways lets just go.”

Sheng Yi followed Gui through the long hallway, walk past two doors and his eyes widen. He was looking at the Wu Estate’s Ballroom. Anyone who has graced this place had so much to share about this ballroom and their recollections. Back when Mr. Wu and his late wife held extravagant parties at their estate, socialites would grace the floor with dancing and chatter, the marbled floors would shine and reflect the crystal chandelier dangling from the ceiling. And if he closes his eyes, he could imagine the ballroom filled with people who will be here past midnight.

Gui’s eyes roamed around the ballroom, taking everything in as she takes a breath. How long has it been since she stepped foot in this ballroom? Long, very long. The memory of her parents still lingers, touching her heart deeply as she looks over to Sheng Yi who was captivated. “It’s been too long.” She whispers softly. Then she turns to see the instructor, and together, they greeted her.

“I don’t know how much longer I can handle this dancing thing we have to do.” Gui mutters as Sheng Yi walked her over to the centre of the ballroom, taking her hand and straighten his posture. He was ready to dance away and she was ready to follow his lead.

“I didn’t know you liked dancing this much.”

“It helps when you like your partner.”

Gui smiles as her ears perked on the first sound of music. Sheng Yi and her were so natural. They have been raised in families that know a thing or two about attending parties that are dance influenced. At their early age, going to parties, seeing guests dancing and filling their bellies with delicious food was their introduction to a world of marble floors, lavish gatherings and harmonious music.

“I heard the big news. Reen was excited to go on her date—your stepmom doesn’t have a clue about her little date does she?” He smiles at her, she was quiet. “I take it that you knew about it.”

“I do.”

“What will you do if they start going out?”

“Where are you going with this?”

“You are going to put a smile on your face and be okay with it aren’t you?”

“I might.” He chuckles. “Lame.”

“You’re lame.”

“Am I?” Their eyes locked. He starts again. “If I were him, I would do this.” He closed the gap between them, she reflexively leaned back a bit, not wanting their lips to touch. He slid his arm around her waist, pulling her close. Not once, did his eyes left hers—and vice versa. He leans in so that their nose touched, how much longer can he take any of this?

“If this was me…” He traces his finger on her lips, surprising her as she held her breathe in. “These lips would already be mine.”

“How many girls have you pulled that one on?” She pushed him away, looking at him like he was the flirtatious guy he was known to be. “I like being myself. Some likes it while others take it the wrong way.”

The music stops and the instructor smiles, she walks over to them and looks at the time. They have been dancing for a little over hour, she could tell that they were done when Sheng Yi and Ying Jie stopped twirling in circles around the ballroom. She excused herself from the room, giving the two space for them to talk.

“I have always wondered, why did you pick oil—Aaron. Out of everyone you can have, you picked him to be your boyfriend, why?” Gui looks at him and wonders why he was curious about him. Rumour had it that these two didn’t get long. “I don’t have to explain my relationships to you.”

“Not even if I asked politely?”

“No. It’s not your business.” Sheng Yi pretended he got a wounded in the heart by her statement. “Our status is different from his, you know that don’t you?” Gui stayed quiet. “We learned how to adjust and fit in with other people at an early age. Parties, galas, banquets, gatherings and celebrations—were all learned at an early age. You and I have been running and laughing at these events the moment we were born.”

“He can get used to all of this, the same way we learned at an early age.”

“You don’t mind if others view it as unsightly?”

“I never liked going to these social gatherings anyways.”

Sheng Yi looks at her and smiles. Bottom line, he got the feeling the she still couldn’t give up oil stains, she has a terrible poker face.

“We got to stop talking about him.” Gui laughs, agreeing with him. “You started it.”

“I wanted to lighten up the mood—well that turned sour fast. Anyways it’s getting late, I should get going.” Just when he was about to walk towards the door, she held onto his arm. “Thank you though, thanks for trying to cheer me up.”

“Is my charm starting to get to you yet?”

“It’s too early to tell.”

He laughs as she lets go just in time to see her step mom and Rainie coming into the room. “How was practice?”

“We just needed a fresh reminder on the steps but even if we went without it, Ying Jie and I are ready for it. Is it because we learned dance at an early age? We are already used to this.”

“You do get accustomed to dancing at a early age, I can’t deny that fact.” Rainie looks around the ballroom and smiles. How long has it been since she stepped in here? Butler Wu came in and stood proudly by the door. “Your car has ready.”

“Well, it was a pleasure to se you again Mrs. Wu, Rainie, and Ying Jie.”

“No No, the pleasure is all ours.”

Mrs. Wu stated as she followed the butler and Sheng Yi out. Rainie looked like she was going to say something but she turned around and followed after them.

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

Pit a pat, pit a pat.

 

Reen and Aaron ran under a tree while the rain continues to sprinkle. 

 

Pit a pat, pit a pat.

 

They had left the amusement park an hour ago. They had their bellies full of crepes before Aaron decided it was time for him to walk her home. They were standing underneath a tree one block away from her home, she never imagined herself to be one of the girls who would stand underneath a tree to shelter herself from the rain. She fantasizes herself doing this because she caught her girlfriends talking about it or watching it on soap operas. This was a first for her.

“Should we run for it?”

“To my house?” Reen’s eyes widen. The houses in this community were gated, even if they did run to her house, they would be drenched from head to toe. “Hold on.” Aaron nods as she called Rainie, letting her know she was coming back. The two sisters made a pact that Rainie will open the gates silently without notifying anyone—only their security team. 

“Thank you Jie.”

“Be safe Mei.” Rainie held his hand and laughs. “How fast can you run?”

“We’ll have to see, on three.” They counted to three and ran for it. The rain didn’t spare a single dry spot on their clothes, by the time Rainie pushed the gate opened, they ran across the large field and out of the driveway to the back door. Rainie opens the door and tossed them a towel. “You guys are reckless. You should’ve waited for the rain to stop rather than running through it.” She scolded them before telling Reen to quickly bring Aaron somewhere where their mother won’t discover him. Reen burst out laughing, her heart thumping madly against her skin as she looks over at Aaron who was finding this just as amusing as she did. “This was a first.” She whispers to them both.

“Go, quick.” She heard Rainie hush at him before she walks off. 

Reen looks at Aaron and held onto his hand. “Come with me.” Regardless if he wanted to or not, she pulled him along and quickly brought him to the guest room. “Here change into these clothes.” She picked up her set and walked into the washroom. “You can change out here while I’ll be in here.” She told him before she closed the door behind her.

He quickly peels the wet clothes off his body to put on a new set of dry ones. Although the clothes ran loose on his body, he didn’t complain about it. He stares out the window and noticed the backyard was large (or even bigger) than the front lawn. There were endless rows of flower bushes, an stone pathway and rows on rows of trees to outline the beauty of the garden. This must be the Wu Estate he has heard so much of.

“Are you up for a little house tour? I can’t guarantee that you’ll get the full tour because Rainie is trying to keep my mom from discovering us. My mom has her mind set of guys who are—sorry, you shouldn’t know about this. I’m sorry that I said it. Would you like a tour before you leave?” Aaron looks at her and smiles. “Would it be okay?”

“Yes, of course!” Reen was delighted he said yes! She quietly left the guest room and in a hush-hush voice, she showed him the estate. She tried to showed him every door that was on the floors they were on, from guest rooms to occupied rooms, game centre to pools, kitchen to the laundry, he was amazed how much rooms the estate had. 

“This is the library.”

“Does anyone come in here?”

“This room isn’t on top of my list to-go-to room but my sisters use this place more than I do.”

“Mhmm.” He stares up at the tall ceiling with endless shelves of books stacked chronologically. “Wow.”

“Are you a book lover Aaron?”

“I like reading from here and there.”

“I see. Come on, let’s show you one more—”

Reen heard footsteps coming there way, she quickly closed the door and taps her finger on her lips. “Someone’s coming!” She hissed in a low voice as she waited for them to walk past. When the steps made it past them, Reen sighs a relief as she looks at Aaron who was running his fingers through the books. “Let’s go before anyone else pops in.”Aaron quietly force himself to tear away from the books before hearing a gasp from Reen. She opens the door and her eyes widen to see the estate’s butler looking at her, pleasantly surprised to see Reen walking out of the library, stealthily closing the door behind her. “Oh good evening Miss. Reen, I did not realize you came back.”

Reen smiles a nervous smile as she looks at the butler. “Yeah, yes! I am back! And where are you off to?”

She smiles to see everyone escorting Sheng Yi out. “Oh Reen, I didn’t hear you come in.” Her mother complimented as she looks over to Sheng Yi, a thought suddenly crossed her mind. “Oh right that reminds me Sheng Yi, would you mind if I Reen and Rainie show you around the estate? I haven’t had any time earlier but now that rehearsal is done, what do you say?”

Reen was about to retort when her mother pushed them forward. The girls stare at their mother in disbelief as Sheng Yi smiles. Not wanting to spoil her mood. “If it’s okay with your girls, I will take a tour.” Reen was about to say something when she heard her sister agree to her mother’s proposal. “Splendid! I have to get back to a call so you guys have fun!”

Right after her mother left, Rainie smiles at Reen who seems to be at a lost for words. 

“Because you agreed to mom’s request, you show him around.”

“I have something to get back to. You show him around.” Before Rainie runs off, Reen grabs her wrist and lightly squeezed it. “I have something to get back to too.”

“Fine I’ll strike a deal. You show him the first half and I’ll take over.”

“Really?” Rainie nods while Sheng Yi crosses his arms. “Are you two done?” Reen nods as she looks at Sheng Yi. He sure has a way of getting his way. Especially when her mom is acting like cupid between them. “Come with me, let’s make this fast.”

“You sound like you don’t want to be with me.”

“How many girls have you tried that line?” A smile crossed his face. “You sound like your sister.”

“It runs in the family, I guess.”

She heard a chuckle from him as she took him on a very, very short—fast tour of the estate.

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

When the noise outside disperse, Aaron quietly stepped out of the library. He figured that the noise was making its way to the front doors so he decided to walk the opposite way, walking down the hallway. He could’ve walked on and on but when he saw light shining through the doors on his left, he couldn’t help but see what was inside. Out of all the rooms, he quietly sneaked in and his jaw drops at how massive the ballroom was. It was enchanting, it was beautiful, it was beyond words.

Gui turns around and her eyes widen. ‘Aaron?’ She blinked again. ‘He’s here, he’s really here.’ She walks over to him, confused.

“Are you crazy Aaron? What are you doing here? and how did you—”

“This is where you practice?”

“My parents used to hold parties here.”

He silenced her by pulling her in. She really wanted to escape his grasp but lets be honest, there was no way she could escape this.

“The more I see you and Sheng Yi together like this, I want to tear you away from him.” She held her breathe. “Can I have one dance with you?”

How can she say no?

She heard him whisper softly into her ears. He put his arm around her waist, pulling her close enough to hear their breathing as he took her hand in his. Gui closed her eyes and found herself resting her chin on top of his shoulder, allowing Aaron to whisk her away. Letting reality go; for a chance to wonder back into a daydream.

Back when she was a child, before life removed all the innocence, there was a tiny fragment deep in Gui’s memory, it brings back everything, tears of joy and sadness will resonate from this one memory. 

The curtains were held back, letting the sunshine through the room. Distant voices in the background and in seconds, giggles followed shortly after. Dad would playfully whisk his little angel off her feet and twirl her round in circles before inviting his wife in on the fun. 

Together, the three would dance round and round in an endless daydream, the helpers around the house would stop and occasionally join in. Gui’s father would lift her high in the air in his arms, twirl in circles around the room and when the dance smooth itself, Mr. Wu and Mrs. Wu would leave their sleeping angel on the couch so that she could dance in her dreams. 

Leaving the couple in a world of their own. They would look at each other in the eyes, hold onto each other with so much endearment like they could go on for centuries without stop. Back when she was a child, this was the memory she vividly remembers. 

One of her few memories that could bring out both the joy and sadness. 

She tried to bite back the tears, she really tried. Aaron held his breathe in when he noticed his shoulder was wet. Still, the two did not speak a word to each other. Neither one of them did. Aaron and Gui allow the silence to surround them. Gui closed her eyes and allow him to sweep her off her feet. He didn’t want to let her go and she did not want him to let go either.

Reen opens the library and knew that Aaron was no longer there. Her pace hastened and her heart beat rapidly against her chest, scared that someone discovered the fact she sneaked him in without approval. She ran through the hallway and stops when she caught something from the corner of her eye. She normally doesn’t care about the ballroom but because the lights were on and the door was open an inch to give anyone access, she froze. ‘No… it can’t be…’ In her eyes, she saw her step-sister and her crush together. Was fate playing her? How can her rival be her step-sister? Out of all the girls, it had to be her.

She felt her legs gave in when she found herself on the floor with tears. How is this possible?

The clock chimed and she glanced at the time. “It’s getting late.” She whispers pulling away from him as she took his hand. “Before anyone knows you are here, follow me.” Gui unlocked the balcony doors and quietly led him through, past the garden and through a secret door that leads to a road. When she was about to head back inside, he twirls her around and looks at her. She cursed him, she knew she can’t look away when he looks at her like this.  

“I’m not letting you go.”

“…Aaron…”

“Not this time.”

He cups her cheeks and kisses her. The rain clouds have cleared up, underneath the moonlight, Aaron declares or re-declares his feelings for her. And once again, she can’t help but feel the same way.

“The things you do to me…”

“I promise I won’t let you go.” She whispers as he claims her lips once again. 

 

 

 

 

AUTHORS NOTES.

Next chapter might be the finale, just wanted to give you guys a heads up.