ticktock

XII

 

 


XXII

 

 

 

News like this doesn’t stay in the dark for long.

 

As Aaron stares out the window, he tried his best to be calm about it. He didn’t want to lash out at every person who walks past him, but when his ears kept perking up whenever he hears about Sheng Yi’s confession to Gui—he almost lost it. They haven’t talked to each other since the break up. Days have gone by without talking to each other, they were in the same classes but still, silence. In the midst of all this, all he could think about—was how she will respond to the confession? Will she accept his feelings? How can they be so close, yet so distant?

 

“This is blowing up like wildfire.” Wu Chun whispers as he caught some students talking about Aaron and Reen’s confession before switching over to Sheng Yi and Gui’s. It’s hard to keep things a secret. “I agree, everyone is talking about it.” Calvin and Jiro nods their head in unison as they saw Sheng Yi and his crew strutting down the hallway on the opposite end. Sheng Yi wasn’t bothered by the attention he was receiving. He knew this would happen but he didn’t anticipate sharing the spotlight with (the one and only) oil stains over there. It’s funny how things progress the way it does. Aaron rose up when Sheng Yi casually made his way over to him. 

 

“I guess you heard about it.” Sheng Yi pressed his hands into his pockets and leaned against the wall. 

“I heard you broke it off with her, in that case, you don’t mind if I take over right?” Sheng Yi leaned in and smiles. “I’ll take care of her now.”

Aaron twirls around and punches him. He saw it coming, Sheng Yi wipes off the side of his lips, he didn’t give him a bloody one. “Real rich, coming from you.” Sheng Yi made an attempt to get up but Aaron bent down, almost meeting his eye level as he spoke. For the first time in days, he didn’t mention her, not once. But seeing how arrogant Sheng Yi’s was about it, he lost it.

 

“It still stands, if you cross any lines, I won’t sit quietly. Do you understand me?”

“What can you do? I made it past the first line.”

 

Aaron stood back up, straightening his clothes as Sheng Yi smirks. He remembers their encounter in the locker room a couple of months back, he wasn’t fazed about it and still won’t be. “Real rich.” He mutters underneath his breath as he turns his back to Aaron, proceeding to walk the other direction.

 

The first line. Aaron heaves a long sigh. How much further will this go? He was afraid to think about it, let alone, watch it happen before his very eyes.

 

Mei Mei watched the two leave in opposite directions. Sheng Yi is known for evening the playing field, what he wants, he gets. While Aaron didn’t garner as much attention as Sheng Yi. Girls like to talk—mostly about Sheng Yi but nowadays, gossips are shifting from the two. In this game, Aaron’s a dark horse. She puts her finger on her chin and wonders, now that she thinks about it a bit more—Gui might be the first girl Aaron has ever fell in love with.

 

Aaron began walking but he froze when he saw Gui making her way down the hall. She broke his heart, she was the one who threw what they had out, it breaks her heart but she had to be strong. There is no way he is going to forgive her, for what she had done to him. The heartache between them, how long will it last? Will they ever be friends or will they stay like this?

 

Gui simply smiled to him as she walks past. Aaron closes his eyes tight, trying his best not to reach out for her hand. “Mei Mei.” He heard her say. Aaron watched her meet up with her best friend before turning back to see his buddies. 

 

Just then, the intercom came on.

 

“All students please make your way to the auditorium. There is a special announcement the board will like to address. Again, all students to the auditorium.”

 

Gui and Mei Mei shrugs, making their way to the auditorium. Aaron and the guys were confused but like every student entering the auditorium, they found their seats and waited for the board to come in. 

 

“What do you think this is about?”

“I have no idea… Maybe we are getting a new teacher!”

“I guess we will have to wait and see.”

“Yeah.”

 

 

. . . .

 

 

Rainie sat down in her seat and sighs, they don’t normally call everyone in for a morning meeting. The auditoriums were used for drama, awards, music or dance recitals. Rarely has it been for things like morning meetings. 

 

“I wonder how long this is going to take.”

 

Dean whispers as he leans over his chair, easily towering over her who was sitting directly in front of him. Her eyes remained on the stage, trying not to think how weird he was for choosing a seat behind her. 

 

“Do you know what this is about?”

“No… I don’t.”

“Mhmm, maybe a family donated something impressive.”

“They would’ve told us on the intercom.”

“So this must be something more than a donation.”

“That would be my best assumption.”

 

Dean slowly leans back, facing the front of the stage. When everyone was seated, two of the board greeted the student body, smiling like they were about to hand out awards. 

 

“Good morning everyone! It’s been a while since I stood up on this stage with you all.” One of them started off. The other, filled in. “We wanted to call everyone together this morning to announce a special event happening at our sister schools. As many of you know, we have S.H.I Academy and S.H.I School. We have always encouraged students to broaden their horizons and this is one of the many traditions we have at our schools. On our founding year, the board made has made it clear that one of their mission goals was not to isolate students but to oversee their education. This still holds true till today. Since the beginning, every year, we will join our two schools to hold a special event.”

 

Rainie’s eyes widen, completely aware of what this event would be. 

Dean leans back, waiting for the big surprise to come. 

Reen smiles in delight, this is the event she was waiting for. 

 

 

. . . 

 

 

Sheng Yi eyes widen, he straightened himself in his seat as his ears perk up. This is his chance!

Gui eyes widen, realizing what this morning announcement was going to come to.

Aaron remained unfazed. He knew this event was coming up, the question was when and how they would announce it.

 

“Yes, we are going to connect the two schools for a few days. For the next couple of weeks, students would be divided into sections. Classes will be remain the same with the addition of taking dance lessons for the upcoming party which will be held at the last day. In celebration of tying our two schools together, this will give students a chance to explore and learn about each other. We hope each and everyone of you will take this experience as an learning opportunity. More information will be provided by your designated teacher, he or she will brief each and everyone of you on this special event. Thank you.”

 

The board steps down from the stage and everyone was cheering, hollering as everyone put on their festive mood in an instant. Mei Mei squeezed Gui Gui’s hand and smiles widely, beaming with happiness—much like the entire student body. Even those who rarely showed up for classes were roaring like lions. 

 

“This is going to be so exciting!!!!” Mei Mei could hardly contain her happiness. 

 

“This is it guys, the day everyone has been waiting for is finally here.” Ah Wei whispers as he watch everyone gossip about their dream weeks to come. The announcement sculpted this kind of reaction from everyone. It is not everyday the sister schools gets joined for weeks to come. Lessons will be taken together, they will roam the same school for weeks, sharing classroom—all leading up to the big party held by the board.

 

“My parents will be urging me not to skip any classes now.” Jiro stated as the guys stood up to leave the auditorium. 

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

Mrs. Wu was making her rounds downtown when she bumped into a familiar face.

 

“What a coincidenc—oh right, you don’t believe in them. Well, what a unexpected surprise!”

 

Mr. Qiu laughs blissfully, signalling his assistant to get seated first. 

 

“I was on my way for lunch, would you care to join me?”

“Now this is a surprise, I’ll love to join you. I was about to eat lunch as well.”

“Come, let’s get seated.”

 

Mr. Qiu took a seat next to his assistant and smiles as they skim through the menu briefly before  ordering. They were regulars at this particular upscale restaurant, been so for many years. Anyone willing to indulge in spending a little more was welcome at this restaurant.

 

“I got my notice that S.H.I. is combining it’s sister schools for the month.”

“Happens every year, that’s why you and I are on the parent board. S.H.I. has a lot of history—as I recall, we used to go there. It’s going to be a crazy time over there, I know this is what my girls will be talking about.”

 

“I heard Wu Ying Jie is back in the estate.” Mrs. Wu smiles, not denying the fact. “Yes she is.” Mr. Qiu brow arched, he always knew she had mixed feelings about Ying Jie. His son would’ve been engaged to her if all this mess hasn’t ruined it. 

 

“Regarding Sheng Yi’s future bride, I am well aware that you were thinking about Reen.” Mrs. Wu eye brow arched, it was her time to wait. Where is he going with this? “Yes, I thought we agreed to have it be Reen. As I recall, they seem to get along with each other at your party. Or do you have something else in mind?”

 

“No No, they did get along. But here’s the thing.” He slid a folder on the table, curious, Mrs. Wu took the contents out and unravelled what Mr. Qui was hinting. “This… You can’t mean it…”

 

She took out a bunch of photographs with Sheng Yi and Ying Jie, talking—some looked like there were more than ‘talking’ involved. Let’s just keep it as conversing for now.

 

“I do.” He took a brief pause before resuming. “I would like to go back to the earlier preposition. I wouldn’t mind if Reen continued to be my future daughter in law but as you can see, Sheng Yi seems to be on a friendlier terms with Ying Jie.”

 

There was nothing Mrs. Wu could say to change his mind. She glanced at him—this was the reason why he decided to eat at this particular restaurant, at this time. He normally didn’t come to this restaurant and he ate at a later time. ‘Cunning bastard.’ She thought as she put all the photos back into the folder. He has been keeping tabs on his son. 

 

“What’s the jury my future in-law?” She bit her tongue back and smiles. “You got the pictures to prove it, Sheng Yi does look like he is interested but whose to say that Ying Jie will fall for him?” He chuckles, laughing at the idea that Mrs. Wu believes his son wont’t charm Ying Jie. “In the upcoming weeks, if she falls for him, we will seal the deal. But if Ying Jie does not fall for Sheng Yi for whatever reason may be, I’ll forget about this deal.”

 

Mrs. Wu slides the folder back to him and grins. “One condition, no meddling on our part. My children have no idea that they have future engagement plans. I for one do not want bring that up, especially so close to their exam dates.”

 

“Done. Now if there is nothing else, let’s enjoy our lunch.”

“With pleasure.”

 

She picked up her utensils and followed suite. How would there days look like? It was already crazy with everyone coming together for the next couple of weeks. Dancing, etiquette and formal lessons on history, the days will be filled with sweat, tears and desires. 

 

“Call the school board and tell them that Sheng Yi and Ying Jie will be getting lessons together.” Mrs. Wu stares at him. “This is the very definition of meddling.”

 

“Alternate the weeks. Sheng Yi and Ying Jie will be together then switch over to Reen for the next.” He eyes her. “Is this okay for you?”

She nods. “It’s a fair game.”

“I won’t meddle after this. We won’t meddle after this. This is no longer our battle.”

 

They both smile, clinking their glasses together as they continue their lunch. Talking about travels, business and upcoming news.

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

The Next Day.

 

 

Immediately after the day they announced the joint schools, the students came to school happily  talking to their buddies about what their new schedules look like. Some were ecstatic to find people they know in some of their classes while some were anxious to find out who exactly is in the classes. 

 

For the first two weeks, the school they will be doing their lessons in is their regular S.H.I. School. Alternating between their history to dance lessons at their regular school before jumping into S.H.I. Academy for the last two weeks. In addition, the dance party would be at the academy.

 

Cars roll in one by one, the whole driveway was filled with luxurious cars, students from influential homes came out, looking skeptically at the school. Even for a brief moment, it seemed like they wanted to hop back into their cars and drive off. The two sister schools were different in terms of architecture, the academy is built with the richest architecture while the school was constructed with the simplest yet, modest building infrastructures. Anyone with a keen eye would be able to tell the difference between the two.

 

Gui Gui had no time to argue this morning. When she came downstairs to find her stepmother waiting for her, she didn’t say anything about it. She was dressed in navy blue dress that hugged her body nicely. She came out to wish them a good day before attending to her affairs.

 

“We are almost there.” Rainie whispers as she looks over to Reen who hasn’t been able to stop daydreaming. “I wonder what has gotten Reen so happy nowadays.” Rainie looks over to Gui, taking note her genuine curiosity as she smiles at her.

 

“Just someone she’s crushing on.”

“I hope I get to meet this mystery lover of hers. Since we are joining for the next weeks!”

“You don’t really mean that right?”

“I do mean it. I am curious to see what this guy looks like.”

 

Reen just smiles as Rainie looks at her, these upcoming weeks is going to be a spectacle. No one can predict whats going to happen. 

 

“We’re here!!” Reen squeals as she rushes out of the car, got her schedule out of her bag and dashed inside, her friends followed her in as Rainie and Gui sighs. Gui looks at her schedule, noticing that her lessons are going to be separate from the group. She's not 100% for sure why hers was different but todays the first day for everything. She will have to find out what is so special about this one lesson that has her separated from the group.

 

“Well if it isn’t my beautiful girls!” Rainie and Gui looks at Dean who was making his way over to them, behind him were a swarm of girls following behind him. Eager to find out where he was headed.

 

“Oh gosh, who knew this (popularity) would follow him here?” Rainie asks bluntly as Gui nods. “Mr. Popular is still at the top of his game even at the normal school.”

“What can I say? I enjoy a good welcome!”

 

Rainie and Gui roll their eyes at the same time when they saw the glint in Dean’s eyes, he was enjoying himself. To him, the glint in his eyes meant he saw Gui and Rainie as sisters. Not two people who are entirely different but two sisters who are so similar—it felt so surreal. 

 

“I want to make good use of this opportunity. If it’s one thing our minds condition us to do—is social-networking. This event is proof. How much richer can this get?” Dean peered over Gui’s shoulder, linking his schedule over hers. 

 

“Looks like we only have history class together, Gui.” Gui looks at his and Rainie’s. “And you two have dance together.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” Gui burst out laughing as Rainie and Dean crosses their arms, disgusted with the idea that they will be together. 

“If you two weren’t so obsessed at being enemies, you guys would look so good together. And I; do mean it.”

 

Rainie rolls her eyes, heading into the campus with her group of friends before her stepsister could say anything that would ruin anything. Dean smiles, pretending he didn’t hear a word Gui said. 

 

“Feels like forever since I walked like this—with you.”

“I know, it does feel like forever.”

 

Gui smiles at Dean as they make their inside.

 

Inside, everyone was busy getting used to the idea of seeing the hallways twice as packed, twice as big and loud with everyone trying to talk to one another. Aaron locks his locker and headed to his first period when he felt someone walking beside him. He didn’t get the chance to look at who it was until the person spoke to him.

 

“Hi Aaron!”

 

It was Reen.

 

Aaron flashes a smile and kept walking. But when all of the sudden, Reen intertwined her hand with his and it got a mediate response from by passers and he stops walking to face her. To those who knew either/or or know both; they know Aaron just got out of a relationship and whoever know’s Reen, they know she falls in love easily.

 

“I know there has been speculation about our relationship—rumour has it that I confessed to Aaron.” She turns to face him. “That I confessed to you.”

 

‘And you want to make that clear?’ He wasn't sure what to make of it, would it be a question or a statement? Aaron prayed that he didn’t hit bulls eye but judging by her tone and smile, he might’ve hit the lottery on this one.

 

“What’s going on up there?” Dean asks as Rainie crosses her arms, all she wanted was to get to her first class, find her seat and wait patiently for time to pass. But seeing how everyone was more interested in gossip than classes, she can’t help but rolls her eyes.

 

“Hey what’s going on?” Dean asked a random by-passer. “Aaron got a new gir—” 

 

The male student caught Gui and immediately closes his mouth. But even if he didn’t finish what he was going to say, Gui understood it. Seeing this, the concerned Dean looks over to Gui to see if she should even be in the midst of this crowd. While Dean was pondering on, thinking about whether or not to leave the crowd, Rainie eyes widen when she overheard someone from her academy, talking about how brave Reen was.

 

“How could she confess on the first day?”

“This must be the guy Reen has been flirting with!”

“It was Reen who was flirting? I thought it was the boy!”

“Maybe it’s both of them!”

 

Speculations were going around the crowd. ‘Someone is confessing to Aaron? But that girl says Reen is confessing… it couldn’t be—’ Gui pushes through the crowd and following behind her frantically was Rainie and Dean.

 

When they got to the front, Rainie eyes her sister. “Don’t do it!!” Rainie mouthed silently to her. Reen just turns to Aaron and smiles, the right kind of smile boys will fall for. Gui watch Aaron in the midst of all this, does he feel the same way towards Reen? This was the guy Reen had been thinking about, this was the guy who she fell in love with. Out of all the guys she could’ve fallen for, it had to be him… it had to be Aaron.

 

“Let me make this clear, YES THE RUMOURS ARE TRUE, I AM IN LOVE WITH AARON!”

 

**WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO** A loud uproar came, then cheering and some even admired her because of how courageous she was. To confess out loud, she was a brave soul.

 

The alarm went, one by one, the crowd went their separate ways. They didn’t want to leave but they had no choice. Gui had no choice but to make her way to class as well, Dean caught Reen’s sigh of relief and he couldn’t help but grin. She was like a little kid, in a candy store. She has been smiling as wide as she ever has, she was truly head over heels over this guy.

 

When he caught up with Gui, he looks at her concerned. “Are you okay?” No response, Dean blocks her from going into the classroom, he wanted an answer. It took one look from her; she was trying to hide the sadness but he wasn’t an idiot, he could see it in her eyes. He could see how hurt she was. She still harboured feelings for him. He slides his arm down, letting her go as he watch her sit down at an empty seat. 

 

“Ahem.” Dean turns around to see the teacher signalling him to take a seat too. He smiles, quickly saying hi to the teacher before taking a seat next to Gui. The teacher walks over to the board and smiles to his class. Ready to get their history class moving along until… 10 seconds later when Reen and Aaron shows up late—welcome to the first class of the day.

 

Oh boy, when they look back at this, they will be reminiscing how much fun it was. In one room, seven bodies and a world filled with passion and dreams, how wonderful it was—to be all together like this.