ticktock

XII

 

 

 

 

XIX

 

 

 

Today was the day of her mother’s auction. Reen look down to her dress and smiles, todays going to be her mother’s day, nothing should be more important than her mother’s event. Reen was already dressed for the event, she curled her hair and choose a light orange dress to wear for the event.

Rainie ties her hair into a tight bun while donning a beautiful blue dress. From across the hall, she can tell that her mother was busy talking to everyone and anyone who was crucial to making sure this event goes smoothly. She was supposedly given the task of talking and getting to know the guests but she picked up the clipboard and decided to work on the sidelines. She paid attention to the items her mother wanted to bring into the auction and sighs. She has been in the estate sine she was little; the majority of the items listed were all new to her. Has these items been in the house? Growing up, she doesn’t remember any of these items being around the house; maybe it was terribly outdated. She took the liberty of replacing any items that shouldn’t be on the list out, that way, her mother will still have an auction and her promise with Ying Jie will be kept.

“Hey, can you adjust my tie. I tied it too tight.” Rainie looks over to her left to see the dashing Dean Fujioka standing beside her, fidgeting with his tie. “C’mon, help me out.” Rainie pretended to audit him out when she was about to walk away, he stepped in front of her. 

“Please.” Rainie looks up at him and gives him a questioning look. “How are the items from late Wu coming along?”

“Just say that you don’t trust me.”

“Can’t we be friends? Even if it’s just for a moment.”

“It has been a busy morning. I checked the items and replaced some of them just in time for their arrival this morning. Is this the million dollar answer you expected?”

“How did you do it?”

“You don’t need to worry about that.”

She passes the clipboard over to him and looks at the tie. As she did, Dean stood handsomely in his suit. He was taller than she was but it wasn’t the height that was bothering her; it was his scent that caught her in a daze. She quickly fixed his tie and backs away from him, taking the clipboard with her. 

“Don’t come any closer to me, Fujioka.”

“What did I do?” 

“N-Nothing, just stay away from me.”

Rainie was about to walk away when Dean grabs her by the arm and pushes her towards him. Her eyes widen but she calmed down when she heard him take a deep breath before flashing a smile. He didn’t know what he just did. There was a guest, a male guest making his way towards them and he didn’t like socializing so he decided to stay with Rainie. “This is why I rarely attend events like this, everyone is so up close.” Dean whispers as he lets her go. “Anyway, I should be a busy body and mingle with these people; maybe I’ll find someone who hates these events like I do.”

Dean whispers as he left to mix and mingle. ‘THIS JERK!’ Rainie wanted to ignore her rapid heartbeats as she looks down at her piece of paper. ‘Stop, this is Dean Fujioka!’ Rainie shakes her head rapidly as she turns around just in time to catch Jiro, Calvin and Wu Chun make their way into the main hall. As always, they are making girls swoon over them… much like what Dean gets. 

“Hey.” Jiro calls out as the guys casually making their way over to Rainie. “My parents said that if there is anything I like, I should take a chance and bid.”

“I wonder if there will be something that will catch your eyes.” Wu Chun whispers as he glances around the venue. “I’m sure if there is something, you’ll be the first to raise.” Wu Chun smirks; he was known to be competitive so if anything do catches his attention, it will be best to steer out of the way since this boy isn’t going to back down without a good fight.

“Where’s Dean?” Rainie shrugs at Calvin’s question, how was she supposed to know where he went? “He went to chit-chat with some people.”

“Well, social-networking is pretty good here.”

“Yeah, I just saw some politicians here. Man, I wonder what they normally do on their weekends…” Jiro thought about it until he heard Calvin laugh. “Anyway, Aaron is making sure Emma doesn’t come here so we are here to ask you for a status report.”

“I already told Dean since he came before you guys. I have to make my last rounds before my mother starts the auction, is that alright?”

“Alright, we’ll see you soon Rainie.”

“Yeah, I’ll see you guys inside.”

Right when Rainie left, Jiro smiles as the boys took in their surroundings, up until they heard Wu Chun whistle. They look over to see a surprised Dean standing next to the window, looking like he was going to break out anytime soon. 

“Hey, that wasn’t so hard.” Calvin calls out as they make their way to Dean who had a glass of champagne. “Don’t you know? You’re not exactly 18 yet and you are drinking?”

“Shh don’t ruin the vibe. I had to flirt my way to get this.” The boys shake their heads as Dean lifted his glass. “Want one?”

“No thanks.”

“Sure, I’ll take one.” Jiro looks over to Calvin and Wu Chun who just said they will take a drink. “One can’t hurt us.”

“Yeah, just wait until you guys make fools out of yourselves, then we’ll see who is rolling on the floor laughing.”

“Why waste a chance? We should embrace our youth!”

 

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

When Aaron got off the phone with the guys, Gui looks over to see him smiling. 

“You can relax now; your dad’s things aren’t going anywhere.”

“REALLLY?!” Aaron’s eyes widen when she wraps her arms around him. “I’m so relieved to hear that.” She whispers quietly before breaking the hug between them. “I should go and buy some snacks to celebrate. H-How about ice-cream?”  Gui quickly got up and walks over to her closet to grab her jacket. “I can go instead!”

“No, you should stay here. I want some fresh air.” Aaron was about to walk towards the door when Gui quickly slipped through him and walked out before he had the chance. 

He shook his head and sat down on the couch; he leans back and relaxes himself. He did everything he could to make sure she doesn’t run out this morning. He woke up earlier than usual just to make sure she doesn’t sneak out. Luckily, he caught her just in time. If he was a few steps late, she would’ve been running to the event. Catching her was step one to mission complete, he decided to bring her into his own apartment just to make sure she doesn’t sneak away when he’s not looking. From there, he tried to keep her preoccupied with a bunch of things. The one thing that managed to keep her occupied was clocks. Aaron looks at the counter filled with metal and smiles. Who knew that keeping this hobby would be useful one day?

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

Sheng Yi pushes the bodyguards back and walks through his father’s office; he stole a glance and remained emotionless as he answers his phone call. Sheng Yi slams the envelope on his desk to see his father unfazed. 

“Yes, of course, we’ll talk over dinner, alright, take care, yes you too.”

His father leans back and empties the contents in the envelope to see what was the commotion all about. The cat is now out of the bag. “WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME? WHY?” Sheng Yi took out the papers and dropped it on his desk, furious. “She’s not my type.”

“Have you met her?”

“I won’t go.”

“Have you met her?”

“I’ll be a fool to go to this.”

“So you have. She is a nice girl, why do you oppose of this so boldly anyway? You have nothing to lose.”

“I just want to fall in love naturally, why do you have to control everything?”

“She’s a good girl; she is someone who will strengthen you son.”

His father got up from his desk and straightens his tie. “As I am aware, we are invited to Mrs. Wu’s auction event so why don’t you attend this event and make yourself known.”

“Says the man who wanted me to stay away from the media’s prying eyes just weeks ago.”

“Why don’t you go and introduce yourself to your future fiancé.” Sheng Yi’s brow arched, his father wasn’t asking a question; it was a demand. “I rather not; I want to stay away from the media and father, you still remember our promise right? I still want me freedom so give me more time and then you can have fun screwing me over afterwards.”

“Qiu Sheng Yi, why are you like this? Reen is a good girl; she is someone who you will come to adore.”

‘Reen? So I’m going to be engaged to her?’

“Excuse me father, I’m going to ditch this event and live this life I want for myself.”

Prime Minister Qiu waved his bodyguards away the door and Sheng Yi left the room in a hurry. He knew that it was going to take more time for his son to accept the fact that he was already discussing his future plan with his son but now that it turned out like this, what’s the use of making him stay when he is so against it? He’s going to rebel more. The more time he thought about it and at this point in time, he will turn a blind eye; he won’t break his promise to his son nor will he push for anything more. 

“It’s time Prime Minister Qiu.”

“Yes, let’s go. I’m looking forward to this auction.”

“Me too, I’m curious to see what kind of pieces we will be seeing.”

“Then we better make our way down there.”

Qiu Sheng Yi got into his car and drove off, he didn’t care if he was violating several road safety rules when he ran through several red lights and to add, he wasn’t wearing his seat belt. The violating tickets were going to go straight to his father’s estate so why bother worrying? His father would take care of it then give him a long lecture about road safety and how everyone (especially the son of the prime minister) should be a role model. Well screw it; it isn’t like this is was his first time.

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

Gui looks up at the sky and wonders, it was sunny this morning but who knew that as the day progresses, the clouds began to take over? The sky was cloudy with a chance of rain; she wonders when it was going to start pouring. 

She shrugs as she walks over to the ice cream centre and looks at the variety of deserts they have. She randomly picks up some ice cream that Aaron would enjoy and went over to the cash register. She quickly paid for the items and followed the same route she came from but she stopped when something catches her eyes. 

“HEY, STOP!” Gui yelled out as she ran over to the group of kids who was seen towering someone. Classic bullying. Gui knew she shouldn’t be butting in but this was bullying! It was unacceptable so she quickly walks over to help the poor kid out. “You got lucky bastard! C’mon, let’s go!” When the kids went away, Gui bent down to see the little boy who was became the victim. “Go away!”

“I just helped you, shouldn’t you say thank you?”

“I didn’t need your help!” and he ran away from her.

Gui jaws dropped as she stare at him run away from her. She wasn’t a monster, so why did he run away like that? Is she that scary? Last time she checked, she is still a high-school student. There was nothing about her that was scary... well not that she knew of. Then why did he react like that? Shaking her head in disbelief, Gui decided to walk back to the apartment building before the ice cream melts. Not too long, Gui eyes widen when she realizes a car driving at top speed coming towards her. She shouted out and closes her eyes, hoping that she wouldn’t have to be called into the ER. 

SCCCREEEEECCCHHHHHH

Then she heard the car honk at her, she opens her eyes and stares at the car in disbelief. She just did a good deed and now this happens?|!|

“WHAT THE HELL LADY!” Gui’s eyes widen as she glares at the person who got out of the driver’s seat. “QIU SHENG YI! THAT WAS DANGEROUS! YOU COULD’VE KILLED SOMEONE!” 

“Then you should’ve watch where you were going!”

“YOU SHOULD’VE BEEN MORE CAREFUL DRIVING! YOU DO KNOW YOU HAVE RESPONSIBILITIES ON THE ROAD RIGHT?”

Sheng Yi raised his brow, she was starting to sound like is father and it didn’t sit well in his stomach. Sheng Yi closes the door and walks over to her. “Shut up, not everyone is carefree like you so you can cut the load of bull crap now.”

Gui rolls her eyes, trying to calm herself down. If she talks to him longer, she is going to flip. She calms herself down before walking away from him, not wanting to get pulled into his game but he pulls her back.

“WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT?”

“Listen, I don’t mean to come off like how I did… My day hasn’t started off… on the right foot.”

One of Gui’s good and bad points was that she was forgiving. Gui shook his grip off and looks at him. “Why are you looking at me like that? Do you pity me?” 

How does one get use to one’s tone? This boy was high and mighty, it irked her to the end of the world but what can she do about it? She can’t exactly walk away from him…not when he is someone she knows. Call her a er but he is still someone she knows.

“Want to take a walk with me? You might not believe it but walking around can calm your nerves.” He looks over to his car before looking back at her. “Wait for me; I’m going to park my car.”

Gui glances at her watch and notices that Sheng Yi didn’t take the whole five minutes to park. Yes, she gave him a time limit. Surprised, she wonders how he found parking at this neighbourhood so fast but she decided to leave that topic alone. It’s already enough that she lived to tell the tale of how she was almost ran over by his car, by someone she knows... but seeing and walking beside him right now, he might be right about one thing: his day started rough.

“Where are we going?”

“We are just walking.”

“Where to?”

“Around the neighbourhood.”

Sheng Yi didn’t like the idea of walking around such a shabby neighbourhood and Gui must’ve sensed it. She has been around the supper society since she was young so she knows how he must be feeling. There is a reason why the upper and lower classes don’t mix and mingle, contrary to the concept of coexisting between the two, it just won’t work. The barrier we put on maintaining order and ranks is too high to bring down. Knowing this for a fact, Gui just smiles as she looks over at him. Sheng Yi has his own things to worry about. As the thoughts get stuck in his head, it repeats itself over and over again to the point where he wanted to shoot himself. Their walk takes a sudden stop when he saw her sit on a bench, in a park, a random bench. Not long after he sat down, she offered him what was in the bag she was holding.

“It’s ice cream, completely harmless.” He sat down and gave in, “Thanks.” He opens the package and took a bite. Gui took out a random one and smiles, anything with lots of sugar has always been her weakness. Who doesn’t fall in love weak in the knees over these kind of snacks? 

 

 

Flashback

 

Sheng Yi sat across from the Ao Quan as he passes him the envelope.

“It turns out that this girl, Emma Wu is none other than Wu Ying Jie.”

“There’s more to it.” Sheng Yi glares at him as Ao Quan surrenders, he passes the paper over to him but Sheng Yi was not interested. “C’mon, why don’t you look at your fiancé? or should I say―ex-fiancé?”

 

End of Flashback

 

 

 

Sheng Yi looks over at her and sights. They were born and raised in families with reputation, status and wealth. If anything, they should be similar but in his eyes, he can’t help but feel strange. If there was one thing he noticed about this girl would be how plain and simple she was. It pains him to say this about himself but it makes him look like a snobby rich boy. But if you were to ask him to pinpoint their flaws, you will be surprised at how balanced they would be. 

“Do you like anyone?” Gui looks over at him and raises her eyebrow. “What?!”

“You do?” In a higher pitch and he even surprised himself. “You do huh? I guess that’s possible...”

That’s right, only he knew they were going to be engaged. Sheng Yi arched back and stares at how empty and quiet the park was. 

“If there is a possibility of us being together, would you consider?”

“WHAT?!”

“Why are you so alarmed? I am just asking you ‘what if!’”

“Then…” She stares at him and grins. “…I guess not.”

“Why not?!” He sat up straight, confused that she gave him this answer. She just laughs as he looks at her, bewildered.

“Who are you and who am I? You are the prime minister’s son. You are way up there and I am well… Let’s just say that I am not qualified to―”

“―If I wasn’t the prime minister’s son and I was just a normal, average normal person, then… would you consider it?”

“Sheng Yi… Why are you asking all of the sudden?”

“I am just wondering…” Gui threw her ice cream package into the garbage and smiles. “Under the right conditions, I think there would be a chance.”

He smiles. If only Gui knew the reason for Sheng Yi’s smile, would she still have said it? He can forget about the fiancé business his father arranged for him because he didn’t care. At this moment, all he knew was that he needed to make use of his time, his freedom shouldn’t be wasted like this. 

Then, Gui gasps as she suddenly remember why she came out here. She mentally hit herself as she got up and say goodbye to Sheng Yi. 

“I’m so sorry I couldn’t stay longer, I suddenly remembered I have to―”

“It’s okay, thanks for talking to me, even if it’s for a bit.”

“Are you okay driving? I don’t want to hear you try to run someone else over with that reckless driving of yours.” He laughs, shaking his head. “It might make my record look pretty damn impressive wouldn’t it?”

“I’m sure you’ll think it’s pretty impressive but wait until you deal with the aftermath.”

“Worried about me?”

“I am just worried about the poor guy who will suffer from a heart attack due to your reckless driving.”

“Don’t worry about it; I’m sure my record is going to stay clean.”

“Good, drive safely and remember that pedestrians always comes first!” 

As Sheng Yi watches Gui run off with her bag full of ice cream, the side of his lips curl up as he looks up at the sky. Maybe pursuing love might not be such a bad idea, it will take his mind off of things and just maybe… this will convince his father to break that marriage contract he has going on with Reen. Call him crazy but what if he decided to work things out with the girl who could’ve been his fiancé? The fiancé he wished he had known sooner.

Like they say, better late than never.

He sat back down on the bench and arches his head back, staring at the sky for a brief moment before closing his eyes. He let another sigh out and attempts to put his mind back to ease. His mind ran through the multiple scenarios, he was going to play his own game. With the freedom his father gave him, he wouldn’t give his freedom up for anything. It was one thing that kept him sane. He took another deep breath before getting from the bench and making his way to his vehicle.