ticktock

XII

 

 

XXIIII

 

 

That night—when their car parked outside their driveway, the butler opened the doors to see all three girls step out. Gui looks over to Reen and decided to come out with it. She can’t stop thinking about Reen’s confession to Aaron and Rainie knew that it was only a matter of time before Reen finds out. 

“Hey Reen.”

“Mhmm?” 

“What is it about Aaron you like?” Rainie looks over to Reen, she watched her change from puzzled to excited. 

“He makes me happy. I don’t know why but it just sort of happened. I don’t know what he will say but I am just glad I got that out of me.”

“He makes you feel this way?”

“Yes, why?”

Gui froze. Aaron makes her feel this way? Maybe.. just maybe this was the time to tell Reen about her relationship with him. “There’s something I got to tell you Reen, it’s about—”

“MY GIRLS, WELCOME HOME!” Gui stops as she watches her stepmom come out, wrapping her arms around everyone as if they returned from a long journey. “It’s so late, why are you guys just standing outside? Come in! Come in!”

Gui looks at her and weakly smiles. Was this moment telling her that it was not time to tell Reen about Aaron? As they make their way into the estate, Gui looks over to the butler who smiles at her reassuringly. 

“Welcome back Miss.”

“It’s nice to be back.”

“Please have a rest, it must be a tiring day.”

Gui shook her head, reassuring him that her day wasn’t tiring at all. 

“Please take a rest.”

“Yes, I will. Thank you for always worrying about me.”

“We are all here for you, Miss Ying Jie.”

A genuine smile crossed her face as she bites her lips, stopping her tears from coming out. The butler had been with the family since Mr. Wu owned the estate, naturally, he grew up laughing and smiling with everyone. Ying Jie was like his daughter, a daughter he never had. He silently offers his handkerchief to her but she shakes her head, quietly making her way back to her room before anyone could see the tears.

She has no idea why she suddenly wanted to cry. 

She has no idea what made her cry.

No idea.

She drops everything on the floor before jumping into bed. She laid there, staring at the ceiling—long enough for her hear one of her attendants call her down for dinner. 

 

And for the next days, she continued to go on like she had been doing. She hung out with Dean and Mei Mei, occasionally she would be with Rainie but on rare instances. Everyone has been gossiping about Aaron and Reen, asking each other if they had seen the two during breaks. Reen is hanging out with Aaron and his friends a lot more; and it didn't bother her. Sheng Yi has been attending every class with her, he was her dance partner after all. He likes to jokes around, Gui notices all the small details but she didn't want to lead him on. Especially when her heart isn’t ready for it.

“OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH! GUESS WHAT!?!??!?!”

Gui and Dean looks over to Reen who was jumping up and down; holding onto Rainie’s hands like a little kid at the amusement park. She had the biggest smile on her face, seeing this made Rainie smile even more.

“HE AGREED! HE FINALLY AGREED TO HANG OUT WITH ME OVER THE WEEKEND!!!! I AM SOOO ECITED! WHAT SHOULD I WEAR? HAIR DOWN OR UP?! OH MY GOSH, I AM SO NERVOUS JIE, TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD DO?!”

Rainie eyes widen as she turns to look at Gui who was still smiling. Dean looks over and smiles, naturally draping his arm around her and looks back to Reen.

“Great, more gossips we will be hearing about! For once, I will like a quiet school life.”

“Geez, can’t you be happy for me?” 

“I did say ‘great’ didn’t I?”

Reen sighs as she looks back to Rainie who looked lost. “Hey, earth to Jie, what do you think? I did great didn’t I?”

“Oh—yes, yes.”

“We are meeting up on Saturday! Anyways, I just wanted you to be the first to know before everyone starts talking about it! Anyways I need to get going now, bye Jie!”

Dean watches Reen run off to join her friends as they chatted blissfully.

“I’m okay, really, I am.” Gui stood up, wanting to walk away when Rainie stood up too. “The estate or your relationship? I have been dying to ask you—I just can’t find an answer to this. You came back to us, back to the estate but you don’t seem like you’ve given up. You’ve been telling everyone you’ve moved on but right now, you are acting like a fool trying to make everyone believe it. You don’t even believe it yourself, the feelings you have for him hasn’t died.”

Dean looks at Gui, he and Rainie aren’t the best of friends but at this moment, he—is on her side on this one. 

“Stop trying to make us believe its over between you guys, I’m getting sick of it.”

By the time Gui turns around, Rainie was already walking away. She turns to Dean who pointed to Rainie.

“Sorry Gui, I want to believe you are over it but you are doing a poor job trying to convince us.”

He got up and walks away, leaving Gui there all by herself to think about it.

 

 

.

.

.

 

 


Saturday came.

 

Reen couldn’t keep a straight face on. She was nervous about everything. She has emptied her entire closet to pick out an outfit to match her feelings. She was even tempted to go into her sisters closet but even if she did, she wouldn't find anything to match her. Her sisters style was different from hers. So given the predicament she faced, she finally pieced together an outfit. Reen choose a light pink sundress, red flats and purse to tie her outfit together. She had tried out a dozen hairstyles but none of them suited her. So she decided to leave her hair curled and did her makeup natural. 

Rainie watched her little sister get ready of her big date. She couldn’t help but wonder if things would be alright for today. The weather forecasted: Rain. And knowing her sister, she wouldn’t let a simple rainfall ruin her big day, not when she has been dreaming about it for days now. Gui on the other hand; she was still in the library. Ever since she came back, it’s where she would go. 

“You look pretty.”

“Thank you Jie!”

Reen quickly took her purse and walked down the stairs to see her mother standing by the entrance. There a guest and their mother was all smiles when she saw her daughters come running to the door. “Oh Reen, look who’s here!” 

Reen and Rainie stare blankly at Qiu Sheng Yi who was standing by the door. He glance at the dressed up Reen and smirks, he already knows where she is heading off to. The entire school knows about their date. Oil stains and the princess herself, what a couple they would make. 

Raine looks at him and sighs, she knew her mom had planned a day where Reen and Sheng Yi practice their dance for the upcoming ball but her mom doesn’t have the slightest clue about Reen’s and Aaron’s date. She plans to keep it that way. She knows her mom has been trying hard to keep her plans subtle and invisible. Her plans to bring Reen and Sheng Yi close is close to zero. Sheng Yi has his eyes on Ying Jie and Reen has her heart set for Aaron. One way or another, there will be tears along the way.

“You look pretty today sweetie, are you going somewhere?”

“Yes, she is meeting up with her friends.”

Reen and Sheng Yi looks at Rainie who suddenly spoke in her sisters place. Rainie smiles, giving Reen a slight push as she walks out of the door with the biggest smile. “Bye guys!”

Gui came out of the library just in time to see Reen go out. While Madam Wu thought; that doesn’t look like something she wears to meet friends… She pushes the thought aside for a brief moment to look at Gui and Rainie. What are you guys planning?

“I am going back to my room to study.” Rainie stated quickly as she grins. Better get it out there before her mother pushes her to hang out with Sheng Yi. “Busy as I am, I am going now.” She quickly turns her back and walks away.

“Oh… Well, looks like you have to come back another time.”

Madam Wu smiles as she notices where his eyes were at.

“Seeing how I am unable to practice with Reen, I was wondering if I can hangout with Ying Jie. As I know, you and my father are looking forward to the annual ball and if you don’t mind, I’ll like to practice with Ying Jie.”

“Oh? Is that alright with you Ying Jie?”

Madam Wu was famous for sugar-coating her words so when they both turned to see her, Ying Jie had no choice but to nod to his request. It was one thing to upset her stepmother but to turn down a request from Sheng Yi—it’s like denying the prime minister himself. Ying Jie smiles, it felt like she was reading her stepmother’s mind.

“Then its fine with me kids, why don’t you two hangout for a bit while I call for an instructor? It’ll only take a moment.”

Sheng Yi smiles as he walks over to Gui, Madam Wu was already busy attending to her own affairs while Ying Jie sighs. 

“If you have something else to do, I will let my stepmom know you have something else to do.”

Gui looks at him and grins, opening the doors to their library.

“Well, if you have something else to do, don’t let me keep you away.”

“What are we going to be doing in here?”

Gui reaches for a book and smiles, finding her way back to her original seat next to the ledge on the window and opens the book. The sunshine was the prefect light for her so she nuzzled closer to the window and smiles as she begins reading. Sheng Yi on the other hand was left alone, not knowing what to do. He stares at the cases full of books, if one would compare this collection of books to anything—his would be the library in the Disney’s classic Beauty and the Beast. 

He roamed around the room for a while before picking up a book that strikes his interest, found a seat on the opposite end of Gui’s and began reading. From time to time, she would occasionally lift her eyes off the page to glance at Sheng Yi. 

“How’s the book you’re reading?”

“Interesting. How’s yours?”

“It’s getting exciting.” Then their conversation died down for a moment before Gui spoke. “You know this engagement between us was a hoax, I was never in the picture but you and Reen… My stepmother is keen on making it happen.”

Sheng Yi pauses as he looks over to her. “It’s not about who I am engaged to, I want to do something worthwhile with my free time and by doing this, I can do everything I want and still be with you.”

“By spending your time reading? Excuse me for saying this but I can’t picture Sheng Yi spending his weekend just reading.”

“Don't judge a book by its cover.” Gui laughs, bringing the book she was reading back in close proximity. Then he goes and says. “Anyways, I just want you to know that you can be yourself whenever your with me. That way, I don’t worry have to worry about you.” Gui froze, staring blankly at her page as he went back to reading, acting like nothing has happened between them. But to her, it felt like everything in her world froze. 

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

Aaron stares at his watch and sighs. He just got to the meeting spot on time, Reen wasn't there so he waited for her. He didn’t know what compelled him to say yes to meeting up with her on the weekend—many have told him it was a ‘date’ but he kept on telling himself that this was just a simple hangout with a friend, nothing more.

Reen stops and smiles. She could spot him from a mile away. She could feel her heart beating away, ba dump, ba dump, ba dump. How much longer can she take? 

 

“Isn’t that guy good-looking? I wonder who he is waiting for…”

“Maybe you should go talk to him, he might be meeting up with his friends.”

“You think so? What if he is waiting for his girlfriend?”

“You should go over and talk to him, maybe he has one or maybe he doesn’t. Want to go find out?”

 

Reen eyes widen as she ran over to him. “Oh Hey Re—”

His eyes widen when she kissed him on the cheek. “Sorry, did you wait long?”

Before he could respond, she had already locked her hand with his and pull him along. 

 

‘This is so sudden… What am I going to do?’

‘OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH, I CAN’T BELIEVE I JUST DID THAT!!!’

 

Aaron wondered as he found himself staring at Reen’s back. Aaron couldn’t see it but in reality, Reen was blushing. It never occurred to her but this was a case of jealousy. 

 

 

. . . 

 

 

What is the number one destination for couples? Well… number one might be pushing it a bit—so let’s say what is one of the top hot spot teenage couples go to? 

“Two tickets please.” Aaron says as he paid for the tickets to see Reen already pulling him inside. They stood in line for one of the rides Reen was into, Aaron stares at it and all around them, he could hear the passengers riding it screaming. He couldn’t exactly say that they were excited or being tormented… he wasn't a fan of roller coasters but he couldn’t say he hated them either… Reen glances at him and snickers, intertwining her hands with his.

“Are you scared?”

“No. Why would I be?”

“Don’t worry, I’ll be right next to you.”

She smiles at the idea as the line pull them closer and closer to the entrance. Aaron’s eyes widen every time when the ride zooms past, along with its screaming riders. He didn’t have the heart to tell Reen not to ride it—especially when she was all excited to ride this one first.

“You know Aaron, all you have to do is ask.” He looked at her puzzled. “We don’t have to go on this one if you don’t want to.”

“Nah, let’s do it!”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, let’s do this!”

Reen laughs, amused at his reaction. When it was their turn to head in, they sat down in the front seat of the ride. Reen held onto his hands tightly, wanting to reassure him it was okay. He closes his eyes and waited for the ride to start. Reen quietly giggles as the ride started moving, slowly accelerating—before they knew it, the ride started and Aaron had no where else to go.

They went up, down, went through three loops? maybe five? He lost count.

“Hey Aaron, it’s over.” Reen whispers as she motions him to follow after her. His legs were shaky, was it because of the ride? 

When they came out, the first thing they did was took a rest on the bench. Aaron arched his head back and closed his eyes, catching his breath while Reen waved hi to the panda—one of the amusement park’s mascots. 

“Want to go eat? It’ll help with the motion sickness.”

“Yes let’s do that, where would you like to eat?”

“Anywhere is fine.”

“Then… how about…”

Aaron followed after her lead, she held up two fingers and the waiter brought them over to a seat out in the patio. The weather was full of sunshine, although clouds would once in a while. But on a nice day such as this, it would be a shame not to sit outside. 

“Were you surprised that we came to the amusement park for our date?”

“Did I look surprised?”

“I can’t say. You looked calm. It was like you expected it.”

“I had the aquarium or the zoo in my mind, I don’t know why I didn’t think of the amusement park…”

A smile crossed her face and Aaron grins, he hasn’t been to the amusement park in so long. The sound of children’s laughing, running passed through them. Parents were busy taking pictures and watching their children have a great time fill the amusement park. 

Reen leans over and rests her chin on her hand. She can’t get over the fact that Aaron agreed to come out with her. Sitting in front of her, is this guy girls have been crushing on. “I’m a lucky girl.” She whispers quietly as Aaron smiles. He leans back and enjoys the sun beating down on his skin.

“How did I score this?”

“What did you score?”

“How did I end up with you?”

Aaron pauses, they stare at each other for a moment before Reen broke the contact with a smile. She had heard from numerous people that Aaron was broken-hearted. She doesn't have anything against the girl. Seeing how their relationship ended, was a bonus for her. Aaron’s ex must’ve been blind to let him go… if she was dating Aaron, she wouldn’t let him go As far as the rumours go, she only heard about the break-up—and how painful it was. Aaron was in his own world while the girl was walking around, like it didn’t affect her. There is one word Reen would use to describe her: heartless. Like rumours, she never got the name of the girl who wounded his heart.

“The girl who left you, what did you like about her?”

“You are curious about her?”

She’s my rival after all, Reen thought as she drops her arms to have their food set down in front of them.

“Yes I am curious. I have been hearing lots about her and it got me curious.”

“She…” Reen brow’s arched, she held her breathe in and looks at him. What kind of girl is he attracted to?

“She is someone who I can’t get out of my head.”

“Does that mean… you are still thinking about her?”

“I’m sorry Reen. I can’t think about going into another relationship when I have someone else.”

“Sorry?…Sorry.. you are sorry? That girl left you with a broken heart and you are saying to me that you can’t let go? Then why did you agree to come out with me? You know I liked you! I even confessed to you!”

Reen tried not to tear up but it was no use, she was crying in front of him—the boy she likes.

“I wish by spending time with you, I could forget about her but seeing her yesterday… reminded me how I felt about her.”

“So you can’t let go?”

“I tried… for the last couple of days. I can’t forget about her.”

“Please stop, please… it’s enough!” Reen got up and walked no, ran out of the door. 

 

Flashback

 

With one forceful yank, Gui freed herself from his grip.

“No, it has nothing to do with them. I’ve come to realize where I belong—where I have always belonged. The estate is my home, it has always been my home.. for as long as I could remember. It’s only natural that I come back.”

She turns to look at him. “Bye Aaron.”

 

End of Flashback

 

 

Aaron instantly got up and followed after her, he ran and ran trying to catch up with her. 

“Hey are you okay? Would you like me to lend my shoulder for you?” Someone unfamiliar grabbed onto her wrist, preventing her from going anywhere. “Let go.” 

“Are you okay? I just want to make sure you are okay. Here, come—”

“I said LE—” Aaron pushes the guy away and took her hand. “She told you to let go.” He turns to Reen. “I want to forget and I want to stop pretending that everything is okay. Today is just about us, can we let this go?”

Aaron pull her in for a light hug. She closed her eyes and listened to his heart beating. It wasn't fast, it wasn’t slow, his heart was beating at a normal pace. She wraps her arms around him, not wanting to let him go.

“Now would be a good time to use a time machine.” She heard Aaron say as she laughs. She wipes the tears away and tries her best to smile. “Should we pretend that this never happened?” He looks at her with the biggest grin, she continues to say. “Let’s use that time machine now.”

Aaron snapped his fingers and she laughs. “Did you just activate the time machine yourself?”

“Huh? What time machine? What did we use a time machine for? Did something happen?”

Reen laughed at Aaron’s poor acting. If anything, she has learned that there were merits to listening to rumours. The more she stares at Aaron, the more she is around him, all the laughing and smiling they do—this boy she is falling foris suffering from a broken heart. And she can't help herself for falling in love with him even more.