ticktock

XII

 

XVIII

 

 

When the bell dismissed the class, Aaron got up to at the same time as Gui but she was already out the door before Aaron could grab his things. Seeing how there is no time to waste, Aaron pushed his chair in and made his way to the door when his classmate came up to him.

“Hey Aaron, for this question… I don’t… quite get it… can you help… me?” Aaron looks over to the student and smiles; he caught Calvin looking at him. “Hey, I can answer this question for you!” Calvin pushes Aaron away as he blocks the student from reaching out for Aaron. He quickly thanks Calvin before running out of the room to catch up to Gui He sighed a huge relief as he held onto her hand. She stops, surprised to find the person holding her hand is none other than Aaron.

“Don’t go.”

“A-Aaron!?”

He took her hand and turn the other way.

 

Rainie follows Dean out of the car. He promised her that he would bring her to see Gui but who knew that her sister would be so close? S.H. Academy is S.H.I’s sister schoolarrow-10x10.png. If she has known Gui has transferred to this school, would her mother know where she is? To think, that her sister was so close… the what if’s were almost like banging into her head all day… what if…

“She’s here?”

“Yeah.”

“Oh my gosh! What a cutie!” One male student cries out as the on-lookers circled around Dean and Rainie. “Who’s the guy? Her boyfriend?”

“Man, she looks like a doll!” One female student swooned. “Yeah, look at that uniform too!”

 

While the other students were eyeballing Rainie and Dean, Jiro, Calvin and Wu Chun caught Aaron making his quick escape—by motorcycle. ‘WAIT!’ Wu Chun felt his pocket and noticed that the bike Aaron was on was—his. “WHEN DID HE TAKE MY KEYS?” Jiro looks away and Calvin immediately felt his pockets and he was relieved to feel his keys still there. “Don’t tell me… you guys were on it?”

“Well, during lunch time, while you were busy flirtingarrow-10x10.png, we did take your keys Chun… BUT it was only as a joke!” Jiro justified as Calvin nods. “THAT WAS WHEN HE TOOK MY PRECIOUS BABY?!” Chun yelled out, he clearly did not like being the victim in Aaron and Gui’s great escape.

“No way… you guys are unbelievable.”

“You’ll get it back, so do you need a lift? I’ll give you one.” Calvin said as he unlocks his car doors. “Judging by how fast Aaron just left, he seems like he was in a rush so I’ll say tomorrow, you will be reunited with your precious baby.”

“No… Let’s wait for him at the house.”

Just when Wu Chun was about to hop into the car with Cal, he notices two familiar people making their way towards them so he stops, squints and called them out. Cal and Jiro turns around to see— “Rainie? Dean?”

“What are you guys doing here?”

“We needed to see Ying Jie.”

“Ying Jie….? Who’s that?” Rainie was about to answer them when Dean replied instead. “Emma, we are looking for Emma.”

“Oh, you just missed them by a few seconds.”

“Them?” Rainie took a head count and immediately knew who was missing from the group.

“Aaron?” Rainie whispers quietly. “As in Aaron Yan?” Dean looks over to the guys.

“Where are they going?”

“Beats me, the only thing we can do now is wait for them to come back.”

“Why is he so impulsive?!” Rainie burst out as the guys look at her. Dean chuckles as he looks back at the boys. “Let’s go to a quieter place!” Everyone nodded as everyone split up, going into their own vehicle.

They used to hangout when they were little kids, they went to the same schoolarrow-10x10.png—Rainie, Jiro, Calvin, Wu Chun, and Dean. Although they were together for a few years, Dean went abroad for school (due to his parent’s work). At that year, Aaron was introduced to the group. Everyone knew one another but it wasn’t until 2 years ago when Dean came back to Taiwan to finish his schooling.

Dean froze when he noticed Rainie walking over to his car. He honestly thought she was going to hitch a ride with the other guys, since he felt she would be more comfortable riding with Cal, Jiro and Chun. Not to be mean or anything but when they are together, they bicker. So she picks to ride with him?

“Is it okay?” As if she was reading his mind. “Yeah, of course.” He unlocks the door and quickly drove off with the student body watching from afar.

 

 

.

.

 

 

“Hold on tight.” Aaron instructed as he felt her arms around his waist tighten. She couldn’t see it but behind the helmet of his, his lips curve into a smile. He didn’t care if someone saw him; all he could think about was bringing her somewhere to calm down. So he drove to the one place he could think of. A place where all you see is a blank space.

Aaron parks the bike and hops off to see Gui staring at the field. “Why did you bring me here?”

“You needed to calm down.”

“Aaron… you don’t know… this is my business.”

“Then tell me, let me know, just don’t do this to yourself.”

“Drive me back right now, I need to go back!”

“Not until you calm down.”

“I CAN’T CALM DOWN; YOU DON’T HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT I AM GOING THROUGH!”

“Then tell me. Let me in. You can’t keep shutting me out of your life like this!”

She froze at his words. She didn’t know where this was coming from, why was he saying this to her? Was it because she was a wreck and needed some strong words to stop her? Did he really want her to calm down? He closed the gap between them as he wraps his arms around her, stunned; did he pity her?

“I don’t want to be pitied.” She whispers in a quiet voice. “Let me go.”

“No, I can’t.”

“LET ME GO!”

She tried everything she could to get out of his embrace but it was no use, his grip got stronger with each struggle. She only wanted him to leave her alone, to not get involved with her matters but he wanted to be a part of it all. “AARON, LET ME GO!” She shouted and decided to push her weight on him, he fell backwards but his arms were still glued, he didn’t let her go. Gui hardened her gaze at him as he lies on the ground, eyes closed.

“Why? Why are you doing this to me?” She was starting to sound desperate. “You know she is luring you out, why are you still going?” She froze, “H-How did you know?”

It occurred to her, just how much does he know?

“I can’t let you go. I can’t let you hurt yourself again.”

When she calmed down, he took a chance and released her from his embrace. Luckily for them, they won’t stress over who sees them. He let her go and she sat up, she was about to stand up when he sat up, he gently caressed her cheek with a soften gaze, he opens his lips to say.

“Do you remember the day you were sick? That’s when I noticed who you were.” He whispers softly to her. “I’m sorry… I don’t know how much pain you must be in but I want to keep you away from it.”

“Aaron… this is my business. I can’t let you be a part of this, you don’t deserve―” She finally pulls herself together and got up, making her way to the bike. “Why are you doing this to yourself?” He was frustrated at her attitude so he walks over and held onto her hand, turning her around to face him. “I’ve been dropping hints like crazy. I know that it will take time for you to accept me and when you do, you’ll open up to me so right now, can you at least stay by my side?”

“Aaron…” She took the helmet and puts it on him. Deep down, she wishes that there was a machine that can make people forget, even if it was just for a moment, as long as they forget. Take the helmet for an example; she hoped that it would black him out, make him forget and move on from all of this. Her world isn’t just hers; he shouldn’t get himself involved in it simply because of his feelings.

 

“I want you to stay away from me.”

 

‘Because I’m afraid of what she’ll do to us… if we were together…’

 

He got on the motorcycle and when he felt her get on, he started the engine. He did a quick check to see the messages he was receiving before driving away. It didn’t plan out the way he envisioned it… she was stubborn and he had no idea how to break that shell of hers. She closed it off so tight that she refuses to let anyone in. He felt her arm wrapped around his stomach and he wishes that she would rely on him more.

He parked the motorbike behind Calvin’s car when he noticed that not only is his buddies’ vehicles were there but there was another car that he found himself questioning, who did it belong to?

Aaron looks over and reaches out for her hand; they were a couple of steps away from the door but Gui got off by herself. She tightly closes her eyes and demands that her heart stop beating so fast, if this is going to continue, she will have a heart attack. She was afraid of it beating so loud that maybe, just maybe he might catch it. 

“Just so you know, I’m not planning on leaving you. Even if you push me away, I won’t go anywhere.”

Gui didn’t turn around to see the pained expression on his face. She pushed the door open to see everyone looking in their direction. With a surprised look, she caught everyone and head-counted the boys and Rainie. Dean clears his throat and smiles, walking over to Gui to see Aaron block him. His eye brow rose when he saw Aaron holding onto her hand, leading her in. Rainie caught the surprise from Dean’s face but he being the guy who likes to keep poker faces, he played his card well. Dean walks over with that charming smile of his, masking his surprise as he winks over to Rainie. She did not buy it and he knew that, they have seen their true colours and he knew, she could crack him like an easy code.

“Oh right, Aaron this is Dean Fujioka. Dean is our childhood friend but he has to transfer for school overseas because of his parents work and a year later, we meet you Aaron!”

“We met before.” Aaron responded as he shook Dean’s hands anyway. “Oh that’s good! Then everyone here knows each other!” Wu Chun said as everyone looks around, seeing a bunch of familiar faces.

“Man, this is a sight to marvel at.” Dean whispers as he looks over to Gui. “Anyways, I came to pick you up from school but instead of seeing you, I bumped into these hooligans instead.”

“Oh c’mon, just admit you missed us man.” Jiro sang, Calvin laughs. “Yeah, stop this tough love crap! I’m not buying it.”

Dean shook his head and laughs. Rainie looks over to Gui and the two exchanged looks. For many years that they have known each other, Rainie is someone who kept her cool, no matter how frustrated or mad she was, she would keep her façade. She has a certain air of elegance and believe it or not, she is someone who is as tough as iron but underneath that heavy armour she built, Rainie was gentle as cotton. Gui then looks over to Dean and smiles, maybe he knew that.

“I came here to say one thing and I will say it.” Everyone paused and look over to the girls. Gui looks back to Rainie to see her looking straight at her. “Do not come to mother’s auction event. I’m sure everyone here knows it but just to remind you, she is just trying to lure you out.”

Gui looks over at Rainie, wondering why was she concerned whether or not she attends. “Do you want a piece of the will?”

“I don’t care about things like that. Mom has her goal towards that will but I don’t. I just came here to warn you.”

“Are you telling the truth?”

“It’s up to you if you want to believe me.” Rainie softly murmurs as she looks over to the guys. “I need a ride back, whose going to give me a ride?”

Dean smiles as he flashes his keys. “I drove you here; I’ll be the one to drive you back princess.” He said as he looks over to Gui. “Hey listen; I did everything I could to get you out (of the estate). I don’t want you to go back in, you deserve much more than this Gui.”

“You should know how much my family means to me, you’re telling me not to go?”

“It’s because I know and this is why I am hoping you don’t go to this event. Promise me you won’t go.” Dean whispers quietly as he look at her before walking over to Rainie.

“It was painful to see you guys again, next time we bump into each other, let’s turn a blind eye shall we?” Jiro and Calvin laughs. “I’ll knock you out of it.” Dean and Rainie laughs as they walk out of the building.

“Emma, I agree with Dean and Rainie. I mean, you don’t deserve to go back, especially if this stepmother of yours is luring you out using your late father as an excuse.” Jiro nods at Calvin’s words. “If it makes you feel better, we can go and go 007 on her. We can take the artifacts and hide them.”

Wu Chun looks over and nods. “We can try. With our family’s influence, I think we can persuade her.”

“Before you came, Dean’s father is a lawyer. He says that the will is in your favour. They are both looking for a way to reverse this so don’t come to the event. We’ll go instead.” Wu Chun looks over at Aaron and patted him on the back. Knowing that Aaron has a big role that day, he is going to do whatever he could to distract Gui.

“Fine, I will try.”

“That’s all we ask.”

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

Reen threw her stuff on the floor and walk into her room to see her mother standing by the window with an envelope in her hands. “Mom…”  Her mother turns around and gave her the envelope. Reen took out the content and her eyes widen, how did she get a hold of this?

“You think you can keep this away from me?”

“Mom, it’s not what you―”

“YOU SHOULD’VE TOLD ME!” Reen look away from the paper and rips it. It was photos of her outing over the weekend with the guys. “I was just with my friends.”

“OUR YING JIE WAS THERE! HOW CAN YOU NOT TELL ME? DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT WAS TO FIND HER?”

Our? Mom, you’re just thinking of that stupid will. Why don’t you just go to another famous lawyer and ask for a will? I’m sure with your status; he can make up a new will from scratch.”

“DON’T YOU KNOW YOUR LATE-FATHER? THIS IS IT! I CAN’T DO ANYTHING TO CHANGE IT! IT’S ALREADY BEYOND MY CONTROL!”

“Then I guess you married the wrong man!” Angry, Rainie’s eyes widen when she saw her mother slap Reen across the cheek. “MOM!”

“SAY IT ONE MORE TIME, SAY IT!”

“MOM!” Rainie stepped in between them. “I KNOW WHERE YING JIE IS! I CAN BRING HER TO YOU, SO STOP USING THIS TACTIC TO CALL HER OUT!”

“You… when did you become friends with her anyway?”

“I didn’t, I just discovered where she was.”

“Just now?”

“So stop using your claws mom. Call this auction off and I will bring her to you.”

“How do you know that you aren’t just getting tricked? She is a ball of tricks after-all. She takes after her real mother.”

“Mom, I promise you. She’ll come to us.”

When Rainie said it, Mrs. Wu adjusted herself as she looks over to Rainie with the biggest smile on her face. “I’m sorry darling, I lost my temper.”

Mrs. Wu stated as she walks out of the room, with her head high. When the door closed behind her, Rainie turns around to see Reen in tears. She kneels down and looks at her dear sister.

“Why didn’t you dodge it?” Reen shrugs. “Mom, she is getting close to breaking.”

“I don’t get it, why the heck is mom doing this? We are already living in this estate, she has every pearl and everything she ever wanted, her life is practically completed. What more does she want?” Rainie just remained quiet, she too have no idea why her mother was determined to see this through.

“For now, don’t say anything to mom. I’ll take care of it.”

“Are you planning on bringing her back?”

“Do you not want her back?”

“She is the one left on her own will, she was the one who didn’t want to stay here so I do not see why she needs to come back when she left in the first place!”

Reen had a point. Rainie knew what she was saying but at this point, they knew how determined their mother was and there is absolutely nothing to stop her from doing anything she wishes. Not until her goal is reached. Rainie looks at the paper in Reen’s hand and notices the picture of Jiro and Wu Chun with that goofy smile of theirs. Curious, Rainie held up the paper and her eyes widen. Was Reen hanging around them during the long weekend? Is that why she lied to mom and why mom got mad at her?

Rainie smirks, throwing the papers into the garbage.

“Tell me, is this why mom was acting like this?” Seeing how quiet her sister was, Rainie knew it. “You tend to act with her heart in mind so tell me; did one of these guys… do you like anyone?”

“Rainie Jie, you know them?”

“Reen, answer me. Who do you like?” She knew she couldn’t go up against Rainie so she nods. “His name is Aaron…”

“The person you like is Aaron?!”

“You know him? Well, don’t you find him handsome? He is caring and helpful to everyone and the way he smiles… It makes me hap―”

“―Stop! I won’t tell you to stop liking him but Reen… He isn’t from an influential family like ours. He is just a normal boy and if mom hears about this, she’ll sink him lower. You know what this means right Reen? Why do you have to do this to yourself?”

“I KNOW! I KNOW IT WAS WRONG TO FALL FOR HIM BUT I DID!”

“Reen…”

“I can’t help it. I’m still going to like him, I will convince mom and I know she loves me. Every mom loves her children so maybe, maybe if I stay strong, I might be able to change her mind!”

“Reen…”

Rainie wanted to force her to accept reality but when Reen acts like a lovesick bird, she feels hopeless. She is a hopeless romantic after all. Rainie stands up and sighs, recomposing herself as she look at her room.

“I don’t think Mom’s going to stop the auction since she broadcasted this event nationwide so all we can do at this point is go with it.”

“Are you going to stop mom from auctioning stepdads stuff?” Rainie looks over to Reen who smiles. “Your face says it all.”

“Does it?” Reen nods as she stood up. “Yeah, it does.”

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

Meanwhile, a couple hours later… Sheng Yi met up with Ao Quan.

 

 

Sheng Yi sat across from the Ao Quan as he passes him the envelope. “You are quite observant. Your hunches were right.” Sheng Yi took out the papers and read through them. Ao Quan smirks, stating the obvious fact for him. “It turns out that this girl, Emma Wu is none other than Wu Ying Jie.”

“Is this all?” Ao Quan then took another piece of paper from his pocket and held it in front of him. When he discovered this piece of information, he didn’t know if it was the prefect icing on the cake or if it would rain hell on earth but whatever it was, he knew he couldn’t let this go to waste. This kind of information is priceless and if he plays the right card, this might turn out to be one of the best shows in the decade. Stay, sit back, and butter some popcorn for the show. This just got exciting.

“I also discovered another fun-fact; do you want to hear it?” Sheng Yi looks up from the papers in the envelope just in time to catch Ao Quan smirk. “Before she left the Wu Estate, guess who she was. Take a wild guess!” Sheng Yi looks at his papers and read out her Chinese name only to hear Ao Quan Tsk. “No, there’s more to it.”

Sheng Yi glares at him as Ao Quan surrenders, he loves messing with him but with many things, there were limits to how far he could take them so Ao Quan passes the paper over to him. Sheng Yi was not interested.

“C’mon, why don’t you look at your fiancé?” Sheng Yi took the papers and looked at it. Ao Quan laughs; Qiu Sheng Yi was known for keeping his composure so teasing him because of this—was fun. “Or should I say― your ex-fiancé?”

“Don’t worry; no one knows about this except for me (a couple of others who I shall not name) of course. It turns out that your father wanted you to marry her into your family but something happened and now, Wu Ying Jie is no longer entitled. Your fiancé is…” Sheng Yi tosses the papers away and looks at Ao Quan. “…Well I can’t be certain but I think you are still marrying someone from that family but it’s not Emma. I don’t know who but all I know is that your future fiancé is someone in that family.”

Sheng Yi ran his hand through his hair. He didn’t know what to take from this discovery. Should he be happy that he found out his father was going to push him into a forced marriage, or should he be angry that he just realized that his father is planning on setting him up?

“Wait, hold up. Wu… Madam Wu has two daughters… they came to the party…” Ao Quan nodded to his statement as he watch with eager. ‘It looks like you are starting to put together the pieces!’

“NO WAY! THOSE TWO?” Ao Quan snaps his fingers and laughs.

“BINGO! Rainie Wu who we grew up with and Reen Wu, we met her during the trip during the long weekend. These two are pretty strong candidates! So if we were to put one and one together, your prestige is going to skyrocket in no time, well even higher if you were to marry the girl, think about it, it’s a win-win situation for you guys.”

Ao Quan seals his lips and took a huge gulp of his drink. His friend already has more problems than he does so he decided to wrap this topic nicely with a bow. Even if he didn’t need to break it down for him, Sheng Yi was no fool; he could read between the lines. Sheng Yi arches his neck back and rubbed his temples, how problematic this was going to be if the adults decided to have their way. He didn’t know what to do or think now. Ao Quan clinks his glass with Sheng Yi’s and smirks; he congratulated him on his engagement with the girls in his mind which earned him a growl from Sheng Yi.

“Don’t say a word to anyone.”

“Even if I don’t say it, someone will find out eventually, it’s only a matter of time.”

“I will deal with it then, just keep that big mouth of yours shut.”

“I probably won’t play a big part in this because someone will beat me to it, someone always does.”

“I’m warning you Ao Quan, keep this to yourself.”

“Roger that captain!” Sheng Yi glared at him as he smiles. “I’ll try my best.”

“Do not say a damn word about this, you hear me?”