ticktock

XII

 

 

XIII

 

 

Aaron slung his bag behind him and began walking. “WHOA!” He turns around to see her no longer following behind him, he walks over to her and drops his bag down and stares at the view with her, she gasped as she saw the sight of fields, stretching acres and acres. He sneaks a peek at her and smiles; he stuffs his hands into his pocket and breathed in. Gui on the other hand, for as long as she could remember, she was taught to be cautious whenever she is out and about, proper etiquette was essential to her. Without, she would be a lost child. Until now, she has the opportunity to experience the world that splits society up into two different sectors, rural and urban lifestyle.

Aaron felt his cellphone vibrate in his pockets so he picked up the call.

“Hey where are you man? I’m missing one of my buddies!”

“I’m at Jiufen right now.”

“Jiufen?! Wait, hold up. AH RIGHT! I remember you saying that you were going to visit your parents this weekend!”

“Yeah and the transfer student won’t be coming as well.”

“Okay―Wait, how do you know?!”

“I’ll see you guys in 2 days.”

Aaron drops his phone into his bag before walking over to her.

“It’s so peaceful here.”

“Yeah, this is where everything started.”

“Huh?”

Aaron picks up his bags and made his way over to the village. Gui took one last mental landscape picture before running after him. She was so fascinated with the scenery and how down to earth everyone is that she forgot to look forward. ‘Ouch!’ She bounced back as she looks at him. “Why did you suddenly sto―”

Aaron drops his bags on the ground to pick up his four year old cousin who came running towards him.

“AAROOOONNNN GEGE!”

“HEY LITTLE ONE, I’M BACKK!”

‘He has a big family.’ Gui thought as she watches Aaron’s family members make their way over to him.

“Mom, let me introduce my friend. This is―”

“IT’S ABOUT TIME YOU BROUGHT YOUR GIRLFRIEND HOME! Nice going nephew!”

“Uncle, it’s not like that! She’s―”

“C’mon, there is no need to be shy! You’re a grown man and even if you didn’t tell us, we already know!”

Aaron looks over to see Gui look away, clearing as his four year old cousin walks over. “Jie Jie!”

Surprised, Gui bends down and smiles.

“Hi, I’m Aaron’s friend, Emma.”

“Emma… That’s a pretty name! My name is Apple~”

“It’s nice to meet you Apple~” The little girl giggles mischievously before running back to Aaron. He picks her up swiftly and she leans in to whisper something to him. Gui watches them and smiles, her actions were cute. “GeGe, I like her do you?”

Caught off guard, Aaron could only smile at her cousin’s comment. Slowly, Gui leans in hoping to catch what their secret was but Aaron push her away lightly before whispering something into little Apple’s ear. Gui pouts only to see Aaron put his finger on his lips.

“Shh, it’s our secret okay?”

“Okay!” Apple ran back to Gui to hold her hand. “Is she staying at my place?!” Aaron’s uncle just laughed at her daughter’s question.

“Emma is going to stay with Ya Lun tonight.” Aaron’s uncle calls out, Gui looks to Aaron who looked away from her, avoiding her eyes. Was it too sudden for them? After all, they are just friends. Aaron clears his throat, held his bags up. “Let’s go, I want to put these bags down.” Aaron mutters as he walks over to his mom. “I’m going to drop my bags at home then I will bring her around town.”

“We prepared a small welcome back party so freshen up and come over to your uncle’s place whenever you’re ready.” Aaron took this moment to hug his mother. Mrs. Yan laughs as she pat’s his back. “Welcome back home son.”

He pulls away with a bright smile and looks to Gui who was happily talking with his four year old cousin. “Hey, let’s go.” Gui straighten herself and walks over to greet Aaron’s mother.

“Hi Auntie, I am Wu Ying Jie.”

“Wu Ying Jie?” His mother shot a look over to Aaron who looks away, like he was preoccupied with something. ‘Son… did you finally fulfill your grandfather’s wish?’

“Oh it’s nice to meet you my dear, freshen up and if you have any questions, feel free to ask around. Everyone who lives in this village is close to one another so feel free to roam and explore to your heart’s content.”

“Thank you Auntie.”

“No problem, just make yourself comfortable.”

“Thank you Auntie.”

“Now go, Ya Lun looks like he is going to run away.”

“Oh, we can’t have that now, can we?”

Mrs. Yan laughs as she watch Ya Lun lead the way.

“My My, aren’t you happy sis! Ya Lun is finally interested in girls.”

“Dad! I’m a girl!” The four year old Apple calls out to her father. He chuckles as he lifts her up, nodding his head in agreement. “Yes, that’s right! My precious little angel is a girl!”

 

 

.

.

 

 

When Gui changed out of her clothes, she stared at herself in the mirror and instantly, her lips rose up. Dressed in a baggy shirt with floral pants, never in a million years would she see herself wearing these types of clothes. Don’t get her wrong, she isn’t poking fun at them but it was a new experience to her. Everything around her is new.

“Wu Ying Jie, you are now a country girl!” 

She looks out the window and smiles, the birds are flying around and all she sees was nothing but light and fields of corn. In the busy city life, if she were to look out the window, she would see building after building.

She heard a knock on the door and she smiles. She knew Aaron is probably waiting for her impatiently so she took one last glance at her before walking out of the room to see Aaron standing outside her door. When she came out, he surprised her by putting a sunhat on her head.

“Let’s go!”

Without waiting for her reply, Aaron took her hand and led her outside. Gui looks at their hands and her lips automatically curl upwards. She looks over to her side to see a field of flowers. Her mind recalls the times where she ran up and down hills, picking up flowers from just about anywhere and presenting them to her parents. In her memories, she remembers her parent’s laughs and smiles as she ran around with no worries. How long ago was it anyway? ‘I haven’t felt like this in so long.’

When they reach to the place Aaron wanted to bring her, he let go of her hand and sat down on the sand. Gui looks up at the sky to see seagulls flying around the ocean water, the waves clash with the rocks and the feel of the sand on her toes felt like she was being whisked away.  

“How did you find this place?”

“I used to come running here.”

“Sounds like soo much fun!”

“It was! To be honest, my friends and I would pretend that we were adventure seekers, digging for buried treasure. We would come here and talk about our passion for adventures. I’ll let you in on one of my deepest secret―Pause for a dramatic affect―One of my adventures was to go deep-sea treasure hunting.”

Gui looks to Aaron who stares at the ocean.

“That sounds like a beautiful dream.”

“Is it?”

“Yeah! When I was younger, I would dream about riding on unicorns and finding jewels.”

“It make it sound like we are both hopeless dreamers.”

“Anyways, Aaron…What kind of treasure are you looking to find?”

Aaron thought back to his grandfather’s clock and smiles. Does she know about the other half? How is he going to come out and say it? That he has the other half… how will she take it?

“How about you?”

“No fair, I asked you first!”

When their eyes met, the butterflies in her stomach soar.

“It’s a secret.”

“NO FAIR! You can’t answer a question like that! It defeats the whole purpose of seeking for treasure.”

“Okay, how about you? What jewels do you want to find?”

“Not telling you!”

“Don’t tell me it’s a diamond.” He stole a glance at her and laughs “IT IS?!?”

“NO! IT’S NOT! AARON!” He burst out laughing, seeing how he found a way to ease her tension through teases.

As he felt the gentle breeze tap his cheeks, he closes his eyes and frees himself. Back in the big city, everyone’s trying prove themselves worthy and in the big city like Taipei; it’s hard not to lose yourself when everyone is so busy trying to make their mark. The best thing about being back home is how familiar and comfortable everything around him is.

“Thank you.” He looks over to her as she continues. “Thank you for sharing this with me.”

“We’re just getting started and you’re already thanking me?”

“I’m telling you now so that I don’t forget later on.”

“EMMA JIE JIE!” Gui turns around to see Aaron’s four year old cousin Apple running over to them.

“Oh Apple!” Gui instantly got up and ran over to her. “Jie Jie, I want to show you something!”

Apple held onto Gui’s hand and led her away, shortly after, Aaron followed the girls. Although he hasn’t been back home in a while, he already knows where his little cousin was walking to―Apple’s backyard. Aaron laughs as he walks over to his mom who stood by the table with his aunt, preparing for dinner.

“You must be tired dear.” Aaron looks over to his mom and smiles. “I’m not tired at all!"

 

“YO, WE HAVE COME TO SEE YOU!”

 

Aaron turns around to his friends coming into the yard carrying a box of pears and apples.

“Our parents will be coming later so we decided to stop by now and see you. Welcome back man!”

“Hey Show Luo, long time no see!”

“Here, my arm is sore from carrying this box all the way here.” Xiao Gui smiles as he pass the box of Apples over to Aaron. “It’s nice to see you too Xiao Gui!”

Xiao Gui looks around to see everyone he knows at the party but when someone new comes to his line of sight, he picks the box back up and made his way over to her. Aaron turns around to see where Xiao Gui was heading to. Show Luo shakes his head as he elbows Aaron.

“Better keep an eye out for this guy.”

“Why?”

“Oh please Aaron! She’s your girlfriend right?”

“What? No… Who told you that?” Show Luo crosses his arms and shakes his head. Does Aaron seriously deny that there isn’t anything between them? When someone like Aaron brings home a girl, it could mean one thing. “Yeah, keep your act up.”

“I’m not acting…” Show Luo pats him on the shoulder before making his way over to them.

“Here, let me.” Gui watches the boy put the box of pears on the bench and lifts Apple up so that she can reach for the yellow string that was dangling from the tree.

“Allow me to introduce you guys. This is my classmate Emma Wu and these two are my friends here at the village, Show Luo and Xiao Gui.”

“It’s nice to meet you Emma.” They both said in unison.

“Before dinner starts, wanna play a game with me?” Apple looks at everyone. “What game?”

“What else is there―” Xiao Gui, Show Luo and Aaron look at each other and smirks― “Then treasure hunting!”

Apple screams happily as she ran towards the field out in her backyard. Aaron and Xiao Gui grabs Gui’s hand as they point to Show Luo who began counting. Together, they made their way into the field.

“Okay listen up, we designed this treasure hunting game as simple as we could. Our goal is to find Apple who is the treasure. She is somewhere here and when we do find her, we give the signal to Show Luo. We are treasure seekers while Show Luo is a treasure hunter. We can’t catch the treasure with our hands otherwise it will turn to dust and that’s why we have a treasure hunter. Simple isn’t it?”

Gui laughs at their silly game.

“You made this up?”

“Isn't it brilliant?”

“You guys are creative!!” Aaron and Xiao Gui laughs. “We designed this game when we were four and we have been playing it ever since.”

When she got an idea of how the game goes, everyone went their separate ways.

 

 

(10 minutes into the game)

 

 

Gui walks through the corn stalk, hoping to bump into Apple soon but the more she moved around the field, she realizes that this was no simple corn field, it was more like a maze than anything else. Back in her father’s estate, she remembers running through the maze at ease (because it was short and simple to navigate), this maze is massive and endless. The more she moves around the maze, the more she found herself questioning her sense of direction.

 

*rustle*rustle*

 

Gui felt a shiver went down her spine when she noises coming towards her. She stops and closes her eyes, who else was in the corn maze with them? Suddenly, she felt a tap on her shoulder and instantly, she cries out.  

“Whoa! It’s me, Aaron!”

“A-A-AARON! You scared me!” Gui punches him on the arm. “You are easy to scare.”

“DON’T DO THAT ANYMORE!”

“Did I scare you that badly?”

“YES! THAT WAS SOOO SCARY!” He just laughs, calming her down. “How do you like the game of treasure hunting so far?”

“It’s fun! I haven’t played a game this fun in ages!”

“Hey Aaro―”

Xiao Gui ran over to them bumping into Gui, tipping her over, losing her balance as half of the distance between her and Aaron closes. They stare at each other dumbfounded by the sudden turn of events that they didn’t realize Show Luo coming over to them. “GAME OVER, I FOUND H―” Show Luo stops and stood behind Aaron, surprised at the small distance between the two. Xiao Gui  signals Show Luo to make the final move. Being mischievous as always, Show Luo clears his throat and ‘accidentally’ pushes Aaron. Aaron and Gui’s eyes widen when they felt their lips touch.

“Game over.”

Show Luo, Apple and Xiao Gui high-fives one another as they applaud themselves. Apple giggled to herself as she covers her eyes with her small hands. Show Luo smirks as he covers her eyes with his hands too, adding that extra layer of protection.

“Woo Hoo~” Show Luo signals them to start heading to back to the party. “Let’s go!”

“Aaron Ge Ge, Emma Jie Jie! Stop kissing and come with us~”

Show Luo covers Apple’s mouth and smiles. “No, it’s okay. Just continue what you are doing!” Apple looks at Show Luo weirdly which made him laugh. “Little kids won’t understand, this is grown up business!”

“Then I can’t wait to grow up!” Xiao Gui smacks Show Luo on the back of his head. “What are you teaching her?”

“Nothing.”

“Daddy tells Apple that when daddy and mommy kiss, they are showing how much they love each other. Is this what Aaron is doing to Emma Jie Jie?” Caught by surprise, Xiao Gui and Show Luo can’t help but burst out laughing. “Yes, this is exactly what Aaron is doing!”

When they got back to the party, Show Luo gently put Apple down to see Xiao Gui holding his stomach, still laughing at the scene they caused back there.

“You are in trouble.”

“Hey, I wasn’t the one who pushed the two together, you did it all yourself man.”

“If I’m going down, I am dragging you with me.”

“You have to catch me first!”

 

 

.

.

 

 

When the perpetrators voices can no longer be heard, the two pull away.

 

silence------

 

“Uhh, you must be hungry… let’s get back.” Aaron whispers as he took her hand and walk back to the party. He kept his expression to a minimum because it felt like his heart is trying to jump out. Gui madly blushes as she felt the butterflies in her stomach fly around.

 

‘What do you feel about this Aaron…?’

‘God, I did it…’

 

When they got back to the party, “Emma Jie Jie” Gui and Aaron turns to Apple walking over to them. In a split second, Gui felt his hands let hers go and she felt Apple’s small hands instead. Aaron ran over to Show Luo and Xiao Gui to put them under his headlock.

“WAIT! HEAR ME OUT―I ACCIDENTALLY BUMPED INTO YOU!” Xiao Gui said in defense.

“MEE TOO! I ACCIDENTALLY BUMPED INTO YOU TOO!” Show Luo said in his defense.

“YOU GUYS ARE SOOO LUCKY OUR PARENTS ARE HERE!” Aaron lets them go.

But the fun and games don’t stop there. Show Luo and Xiao Gui elbows each other, noticing that the Aaron Yan they knew turned into a little kid. With a big smile, they put their arms on his shoulder. “But dude c’mon, someone needed to make that first move.”

Xiao Gui smiles wickedly over to Aaron. “Normally I would request a thank-you but since we are like brothers, you’re welcome~” Show Luo laughs at Aaron’s attempt to put them into a headlock again.

“You guys are dead!”

“Oh !” (a.n. please excuse my language >.<)

Xiao Gui and Show Luo ran around the backyard and eventually found themselves standing behind Gui who caught Aaron running over to her, he stops and scratches his head. Xiao Gui and Show Luo arches their eye brow and looks at each other mischievously.

 

‘Round two?’

‘Round two!’

 

Show Luo brings Apple into his arms and in less than five seconds, Xiao Gui and Show Luo pushes Gui towards Aaron. Their eyes widen as he caught her in an embrace. “Hi?” She whispers quietly as he smiles. “Hi, hold on, I’ll be back.” She straightens herself up before watching Aaron running after Xiao Gui and Show Luo.

“Aww man, it hurts to laugh!” Xiao Gui burst out laughing with Show Luo who pointed towards Aaron. “Who falls for it twice?” Together, they point to Aaron. “This one does!”

Gui laughs along with them, she’s never seen him act like this before. He was always the laid-back, mellow guy in class. He seems more than comfortable here. She found a seat near the flowers, she sat down and watches Aaron threaten them once more and as she does, Apple ran over to her, sitting down beside Gui.

“Aaron Ge, Show Luo Ge and Xiao Gui Ge are sooo playful~” And Gui agrees. Aaron puts them in his headlock once again and everyone who was there that evening can hear how happy they were to be hanging out with each other again.

“You rascals! This time wasn’t accidental!”

“Sorry, I couldn’t miss that perfect opportunity to do it!”

“Yeah, what are you hesitating for? If you won’t take the chance to do something, someone will beat you to it!” Aaron lets them go, staring at them in disbelief. Xiao Gui and Show Luo massage their necks and grins, leaning in to whisper something to him. “You know we’re right~”

Aaron wanted to punch their sillies out but when his mother came over to him; he put them in a headlock instead.

“Hi Mom.”

“Come, you should sit with your friends at the table!”

Before he knew it, he found himself sitting down at the dinner table with everyone.

 

(Apple – Gui –Xiao Gui)

 

(Show Luo – Aaron)

 

Gui looks up at the tree to see lights hanging down from the branches. The yellow ribbons that Apple wanted is dangling from the tree as well, it seemed more like a wedding reception than a family dinner.

Apple’s Uncle laughs happily as he watches the youngsters at the table. “Let’s enjoy ourselves! The day is still young so we should make it last for how ever long we can!” Everyone raises their cups at his speech and began eating.

 

 

.

.

 

 

Reen taps her card on the counter and sighs, Calvin just came back and told them that Aaron will meet them after his trip to Jiufen and as she looks around, it seems that everyone is okay with it. Seeing how her plan didn’t turn exactly how she planned it, she pouted. She wanted to build a tent and make a campfire with him so she came up with this plan to combine their groups for the outing for the long weekend. ‘Why did it turn out like this?’ Reen turns around and noticed that Ying Jie wasn’t here as well. Seeing how she didn’t appear for the outing, she must be trying to escape.

“I’ll text Aaron that we changed our destination.” Jiro calls out as he took his phone out. “Man, if only our car didn’t break down. We would be building our tents and singing songs around the campfire!” Calvin cries out as he pointed to his guitar. “I remember Ah Wei was pretty good at the guitar… Are you up for a challenge?” Ah Wei smirks, calling his bluff. “You can’t beat me Cal.”

“Do you see anything I have to lose? Nada!” Calvin calls out.

They are sitting in the lobby, waiting for Reen to check if there are any rooms available for them to book for the next two days they are here. Their car broke and it just so happens that they were a couple of miles away from a hot spring resort so instead of sticking to the original plan, they decided to change their plan. If anyone is counting their luck, their luck hasn’t run out yet.

Sheng Yi got up from his seat and made his way over to the counter to see Reen tapping her card on the counter. He could tell that the receptionist was trying to remain her posture but Reen keeps tapping her card on the counter, he scoffs at Reen’s ability to annoy others. A trait he too, has but it shouldn’t be a habit to keep. He walks over to her, taking the card away from her.

“Why if it isn’t Sheng Yi himself… what are you doing here? I didn’t think you’ll actually come on this trip.”

“Neither did I, but I’m here. My buddies dragged me out here and besides, you were the one who proposed the idea of combining our trips together. Any who… do you have any idea who you are talking to? you are talking to one of the youngest, bachelor in Taiwan!”

Reen rolls her eyes; she stopped her counting her luck back when she met him back at the party. Seeing him smirk, she wanted to smack it right off his face but she can’t just do it, after all, even if they weren’t in the big city, she still needed to keep herself maintained. She heavily sighs as she looks at the door, dreaming about Aaron walking in any minute now.

“Tell me, what are you scheming?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You can’t fool this pretty face here.”

She scoffs, after the party Prime Minister Qiu held, she was so sure that she wouldn’t bump into Qiu Sheng Yi but it looks like she spoke too soon.

“Hi Miss. Reen Wu, the suites you have requested are unavailable but we do have rooms that are similar to our suites. If you don’t mind, would you like to book the 3 rooms that are available?”

“Yes (Sheng Yi) / No (Reen)!” Sheng Yi and Reen look at each other, staring at each other in disbelief.

“Listen, I don’t care about suites or VVIP treatments, we are just looking for a place to spend the night.”

“No one asked for your opinion Mr. High-Ego. Unlike you, I like to stay in a room that suits me and my status.”

“I don’t care where you come from but Miss-I-am-higher-than-everyone-else, you should take this as an experience of a lifetime. Open your horizon and expand to a world of possibilities.”

“SHENG YI!” He smirks, crossing his arms. “You can’t go up against me.”

Sheng Yi takes out his card and handed it to the receptionist. Sheng Yi was about to walk away when Reen stops him from leaving.

“Let’s not talk about me, what are you doing here?”

“I’m planning on having fun during this is the long weekend.”

“You expect me to believe that?”

“It’s up to you whether or not you want to believe me. I came here to rest and it’s on my priority list.”

“Thank you for choosing to stay at Taiwan’s top consumer choice award for best Hot Springs Resort, enjoy your stay!”’ The receptionist spoke happily as Reen looks at her and smiles, taking the keys as she walks back to the group to see everyone eyes lit up. Sheng Yi took his card back and turns to see Reen holding out the keys in front of him.

“Since you paid, you get first choice.” Sheng Yi brow arches as he place his card back in his wallet. Fabien came over and chooses the room in Sheng Yi’s stead. “You don’t mind do you?” Sheng Yi waves him away as Jiro, Calvin and Wu Chun gave the second pick to the ladies before picking a room of their own.

“HOT SPRINGS, HERE I COME~!”

Ah Wei calls out as Jiro nods, picking up his luggage.

“Oh and before I forget, because we will be seeing each other for the next couple of days, let’s leave our hatred for one another out of it. I think we all came here with one thing in mind and that is to relax and have fun. So let’s try to be friends, if not, semi-friends works.”

Reen stares at the guys and wonders what they were talking about. Were they not friends?

As the boys look at each other, Sheng Yi threw his bag over his shoulder and smirks. “If everyone agrees to it, then I don’t have anything to say against it.” He stated firmly before making his way to the room. Wu Chun, Jiro, Calvin, Fabien, Ah Wei and William nod in agreement, shaking on it. “Truce.”

Reen smiles as she watches everyone retreat to their rooms. Just the thought of it is enough to make her jump for joy as she retreats to her room. Now, she can count the hours left till she sees Aaron join her on this trip.

“I’m going to see if we can get another room for when Aaron, Emma and Mei Mei comes.”

“Okay, I’ll bring our bags into our rooms.”

Wu Chun nods as he walks over to the counter whereas Calvin and Jiro grab their luggage’s and head towards their rooms.

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

When dinner ended, Show Luo walks over to Aaron and puts his arm on his shoulder.

“Tell you what; I’ll help you out buddy. Xiao Gui and I can set everything up and all you have to do is come prepared to say your lines.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Yes, you need our help!”

“With?”

Show Luo playfully punches his arm, telepathically pointing to Gui.

“We are best buds man; we are always here to help you out bro!”

“Wha―I still don’t understand what you’re talking about.”

“C’mon man, you do understand. You just don’t want to accept the fact that you, my friend―” Show Luo faces him towards Gui. “―you’re falling for her.”

Show Luo lets him free so that he joins Xiao Gui and Gui who were talking about what their childhood was like.

“Yo get this; Emma here barely remembers what her childhood life was. All she remembers―”

“―Hey, you shouldn’t be prying into her privacy like this! Someone here doesn’t even know and you are learning more than you should!” Show Luo telepathically points to Aaron who stood beside him, smiling naively at them.

“OHHH~ My bad!” Xiao Gui got up, putting his hands in the air. “It’s getting late, we should leave now. We have a busy day tomorrow!” Show Lu smiles as he bids farewell to everyone. “I’ll see you guys tomorrow~”

“See ya!” Xiao Gui calls out as they both say their farewells to everyone at the party.

“Come… we should get going as well.”

Aaron says as Gui got up and walks with him.

Aaron looks down at the path, he was kicking the rocks as if they were soccer balls. Gui look up to see the moon brightly above her, the gentle breeze felt nostalgic as it pulls her in.

“The test… thank you…”

Just then, Aaron stOps. He looks at Gui who stopped a few steps ahead of him. She turns around to face him wondering why he just stopped in the middle of the road.

“Hey… I have something to say.”

She held her breath in and caught her heartbeat beat faster. ‘Could it be? Is he going to confess?’

 

 

For her, the only thing she could feel was her heartbeat…

For him, the thing that he is most worried about is the thing that connected them together…

Nonetheless, it is as if time had stopped.

For a moment like this.

 

 

The glass clock his grandfather entrusted him, the other half that his grandfather was talking about has finally appears in front of him. He has finally found the other half. Aaron is eager to piece it together…

 

But will she know anything about it?

Did someone from her side say anything about the clock?

How is she going to respond to his request?

 

He has been looking for the right time to tell her but the timing between them has been off.

But still, this could be the time to tell her.