ticktock

XII

 

 

XVI

 

 

 

“FINALLY YOU TWO ARE HERE! WE CAN FINALLY START THIS PARTY! LET’S QUICKLY GO RIVER RAFTING!” Mei Mei and Jiro cries out as Aaron and Gui found themselves dragged by their friends. Mei Mei and Jiro smiles as they quickly split everyone into groups. This was one of the highlights to their trip together so when Aaron and Gui came, they didn’t bother waiting for them to settle in, they just wanted to quickly go river rafting.

 

Raft one: Sheng Yi – Mei Mei – Ah Wei – Gui – Calvin

Raft two: Aaron – Fabien – Jiro – Reen

Raft three: Wu Chun – Reen’s friend 1 – William – Reen’s friend 2

*AN: I have decided not to give any names to Reen’s friends*

 

“ALRIGHT, LET’S START!”

Jiro hollered, totally hyped for this activity as they watch the first raft launch first. Within each raft, there is a ten minute wait but once your raft is in the waters, the ten minutes will feel like nothing. Jiro smiles happily as he finally heard the whistle, he drop his paddle into the water and began paddling full strength. Aaron and Fabien shook their heads and follow his lead. It was a gorgeous day to be rafting in the river, since the heat was at its highest since the summer started, it would mean that they would have to wait until their raft hit against the waves to feel the water on their sun-kissed skin. Gui looks up at the sky to see barely any clouds in the sky. She can’t hope for the clouds to block the sun so she hopes that the water would be cold enough when it hits her during the raft.

Reen adjusted her sunglasses and looks over to Aaron; she managed to sit next to Aaron when they got onto their raft. She hasn’t experienced this type of activity so she asked him for some pointers and somehow, she got him to teach her the steps to a safe river rafting experience. She glances in front of her to see Jiro and Fabien sitting in the front, all geared and hyped to see who’s the best. It all started when Jiro claimed he was the best and of course, Fabien called his bluff so they decided to have a mini competition to see who the best paddler was. Aaron and Reen were there to provide support for the raft because the raft can’t operate with just two people.

In the first raft, Calvin was the captain of the boat as he directed his team where to go. Mei Mei heart went thump… thump… when she quickly said she wanted to sit beside Ah Wei. Gui smiles as she noticed that she was sitting next to Sheng Yi. Under Calvin’s direction, the raft reached to shore safely. Sheng Yi and Ah Wei got out first and helped everyone get their feet on the ground safely before pulling the raft aside for the other rafts to come in.

And before everyone knew it, the three rafts have safely arrived safely. Fabien and Jiro look at one another and grinned. Everyone except for Fabien and Jiro helped the guide load all the materials on the bus so that the next group can have it.

“Clearly we know who is better at river rafting.” Fabien smirked, not believing it. “I think you are self-praising yourself too much. Clearly, it’s me who is better.” Jiro called him bluff as they look over to Aaron who was helping Reen out of the lifejacket. “Aaron you decide, who is better? Me or this liar?!” Aaron and Reen look over at them and shrugged, they have been paying attention to their own paddling so they had no clue who was better or if there is someone who is better…

“Liar? You’re calling me a liar? Wow, it was me who stopped the raft from flipping over!”

“No, I stopped it!”

Reen stares at them and shakes their head. They were enemies at school but right now, they are two childhood friends bickering over a crayon. Aaron shakes his head as he passed the lifejacket over to the guide. Ah Wei walks over to them, his hands over his chest.

“You two are unbelievable! Clearly Calvin is the best! He is the one who directed us after all.” Ah Wei nods in agreement.

“He practically controlled you guys like slaves.” Fabien whispered as Jiro crosses his arms. “You are the controlling one…” Fabien headlock him when he heard Jiro’s comment. Wu Chun looks over and smiles. “Now now, calm down girls, everyone did very good! The goal of this activity was to find the teams balance and unity.”

“Please Chun, I can’t listen to Oprah right now.”

“You are just upset because I am the one who pulls the team together!”

“Oh please, if anything, you would be the one who causes the boat to sink.”

“But I didn’t, it just goes to show you how much of a leader I am!”

Seeing how heated the discussion was getting, Aaron and Sheng Yi pull them away from ripping their throats apart.

“Whatever the case is, let’s move on.” He told everyone as they nodded. They thanked the guide for letting them use the equipment and together, they begin to make their way down. If they were in Taipei, they would be driving everywhere but in places like this, they are walking more and exploring the nature at its finest.

 

By the time they went down the hill, Fabien nudged Jiro to his left to see a soccer field. Jiro smirks as looked over to the overly confident Fabien.

“Are you up for it?”

“Aren’t you afraid that I am going to kick your ?”

“Who says?”

“So you are afraid!”

“Instead of worrying about me, you should watch out for yours.”

Jiro and Fabien look over to the guys and they looked away, wanting nothing to do with this. Reen walks up to them and smiles. “I want to see this!” She calls out happily as she looks over to Aaron who stares at the field. “This is a big field; we won’t even make it for second half.”

“I agree with Aaron on this, I think we’ll be tired after one.” Ah Wei noticed how big it was and smiles. “You are just a sissy, are you pulling out of the challenge?” Aaron glare at Sheng Yi who grinned, he was taunting him.

“Then do you still want to―” Going against everyone’s protest, Jiro and Fabien yells out, “LET’S GO!”

Jiro and Fabien walks over to the field to see a group of boys kicking around the soccer ball leisurely.

“Yo, be a good kid and lend me that ball. I gotta beat this guy.” Jiro pointed to Fabien. “No, I gotta beat his so lend me the ball.” The kids look up at them puzzled.  

Then Aaron and Ah Wei walk over and ask them if they can borrow the ball to play for a bit but the little boys weren’t budging. “Why don’t we go head to head?” The little boys surprised the boys by outwardly challenging them. Jiro and Fabien eyes widen at the sudden proposal. They thought they were going to be playing against each other but in this case, they would have to play alongside each other.

“NO WAY!” Fabien and Jiro shouted out madly as they look at each other. The kids look over at the boys hopelessly and shrugs, preparing to continuing their game but Gui took this chance before the little kids got the chance to run off with their own game. “How about this, why don’t we split ourselves up and we will play mixed teams?” Gui broke the silence as everyone looks over to her. Sensing how confused everyone might be, she walks over to the little kids side and smiles at her group of friends. “How does that sound? Would you guys like to play on a team with them?”

“How good are they?!” One of them asked as Jiro and Fabien flared up. “We are soccer players at sc―” Fabien covers Jiro’s mouth. “We are soccer players! We play in a league!”

Gui’s eyes widen at Fabien’s white lie. Aaron and Sheng Yi look away while Jiro elbowed his stomach, amused that he got the guts to come out with a lie like this. ‘For soccer? Wow, he really wants his kicked!’

“Then you guys must be good!” Another boy calls out happily as they nod to each other, agreeing like a good team they are. “Okay, we will split ourselves up!”

“Great!” Gui didn’t know whether or not to take this as a good sign or a bad sign. She looked over to the boys and sighed, they looked like they were going to team up with their usual mates but that all changed when Mei Mei came over and stopped them.

“No, let’s have the younger kids split you guys up!”

The older boys drop their jaws at the suggestion and Gui agreed. “You guys can be the judge on who teams up with who!” She quickly told the younger soccer players to split the guys up so they were not with their usual teammates. Gui and Mei Mei gave each other a high-five as they watch the younger boys pick the teams. When the teams were ready, the ones who went in the game sat and watched the game from the sidelines.

“GOOD LUCK GUYS!!!!” Reen and her friends cheered loudly and the game commences.

“WOOT, GO GO GO!” Gui turn to see Reen cheering on the top of her lungs, she never knew Reen had this side to her. She looked happy, considering how they weren’t always on good terms with each other; Reen was like a different person during this trip. Gui can’t help but smile at Reen’s cheerful attitude.

Gui felt Mei Mei’s nudge as she calls her back into the game. “Aren’t you going to cheer?” Gui laughs, as she got up and cheers for the little kids. Mei Mei shakes her head as she cheers for the little ones too. “WHY AREN’T YOU CHEERING FOR US!?” Calvin asked Mei Mei and Gui as he took a short breather, Aaron stops momentarily to listen to their response.

“BECAUSE THEY ARE CUTER!” Gui yelled out and Aaron grins. “AND THEY ARE BETTER THEN YOU BOYS!” Mei Mei finished as Ah Wei turn to look at her, she gave him a thumbs up before he went back into the game, smiling.

This time, Reen glances over to step-sister and wonders. Should she let her mother know that she found Ying Jie? After all, she wants to secure the family wealth… Ying Jie is the answer to all her mother’s worries. But she is the one who left the estate on her own; no one forced her to leave so why would she think about coming back? Reen can’t help but wonder what on earth her stepsister is thinking about. They were never BFF’s or anything close but because of her, her entire lifestyle now is going to change now that her mom wants her back in with them.

Reen shook her head, trying to empty her thoughts but it keeps popping up so she decided to walk over to her, she wants to know what Ying Jie is plotting but before she got the chance to, Aaron and Ah Wei intercepted her.

Ah Wei bends down and takes a massive gulp of water. She turns and looks at bulk of water bottles they have to get now that they didn’t prepare for this soccer match. She was about to walk over to Aaron and strike a conversation with him but she stops when she notices the interaction between Aaron and Ying Jie. ‘What is this feeling?’

“We have been buddies for so long.” Ah Wei commented as he threw a water bottle to Aaron. “I would say… back in pre-k, we would hang out like this.” Aaron caught the water bottle and chuckles. “I can’t believe we are actually playing with each other like this.”

“What do you mean? Don’t you guys play with each other like this?” One of Reen’s friends asked out of curiosity. Who knew that their relationships were similar to the girls? After all, there are people you don’t get along with, no matter how much time and effort you try, it just doesn’t flow smoothly. That’s them, that’s their relationship.

“That is partially true. But no matter where we are, whether we are playing soccer or meeting each other outside of the field, we are always trying to break each other’s back.”

“Yeah, we are always stepping on each other toes at school.” Ah Wei laughs, agreeing with this. “And seeing how we are playing like this, it brings us back to our past. This is rare; this is something you won’t see.” Aaron looks over and grins widely. “I see.” One of Rainie’s friends said as they look at the game. Seeing everyone laughing and smiling at each other’s mistakes, Gui smiles. She knew the boys would say no such thing happened during their time here so right now, the best thing for them to do is to embrace the moment they have with each other.

“Speaking of the past… Hey Ah Wei, did you bring it for tonight?” Ah Wei smirks, patting himself clean. “Of course, there is no way anyone if can forget it. It’s going to be specular so look forward to it tonight!” Ah Wei was about to go into cloud9, just talking about what he prepared for tonight. Gui glance over to Aaron as he just smiles. “It’s just something we used to do when we were kids, look forward to it.”

Aaron calls out as he and Ah Wei got up and ran back to the field, joining the rest of their teammates. Reen looks back over to Gui and she clenches her hands. The feeling inside her just won’t go away, it’s bothering her so she bends down to grab a water bottle and chugs it down. Hoping that her suspicions are just suspicions, it would disappear into thin smoke and go away.

Aaron was right, they didn’t make it to play the second half. The field was bigger than theirs at school so the game ended in a tie. “MAN, I AM ALL SWEATY!” Fabien called out as he wiped it off with his shirt, showing his abs. Reen and her friend’s stares at him, wide-eyed as they swoon over it. Jiro follows his lead and lift his shirt, receiving the same reaction as Fabien did.

“Before our last activity of the day, let’s head back and jump into the hot springs.” Wu Chun told everyone as he passed the ball to the kids. “Nice game guys!” The little kids smiles happily. “Thank you for playing with us! I wanna keep playing soccer so that I can join the national team!”

The boys nodded, waving the kids off as they look at each other. Deep down, they knew they had to acknowledge that it was a good, fair, clean game as they made their way back to the hotel.

 

.

.

 

The first thing everyone did when they got back to the hotel was their rooms, so that they can hop into the hot springs. Reen looks out from the window and sighs, what is she going to do? “Okay, we are all set!” Reen looks back to her friends and smiles.

Reen glances over to her friends and smiles, telling them to go ahead. They look over at her weirdly but they figured that she just wanted some time alone so they nodded, carrying their bag that holds all their things into the hot spring with them.

After a couple of minutes, Reen walks out of her room to see Ying Jie coming back from the hot spring. Ying Jie knew Reen the best so she kept on walking. Even when they were living together, they exchanged very few words―or no words at all. It was just their relationship with each other, they tried to get along but there is always something that goes wrong so there is nothing between them. The only thing that ties them together is the Wu Estate, but even that is a little strained. When Ying Jie walked by, Reen spoke up, stopping Ying Jie in her tracks as she listened to what she had to say.

“When you left that day, did you ever think about coming back?”

Gui froze. She never expected Reen to ask her this question. They have always kept their distance with each other, she can’t even remember the last time they talked. Gui turn around to face Reen but Reen had her back to her.

“Why are you asking me this now?”

“You were the one you left the estate, no none forced you to leave.”

 

‘So burning all my memories my parents and I have created is nothing?’

 

“What do you want Reen?”

“Do you know about the will?”

 

‘I didn’t even know there was a will…’

 

“Do you guys want to burn the will too?” Ying Jie clenched her hands. Reen caught it and looked up at her, un-wavered. “I’m just curious. For someone who just ran away from the estate, do you really have nothing to do with it? Mom found out about the will and she said that the only the person written on the will can alter it. So whatever you are planning to do, don’t do it. Going up again our mom is futile. She isn’t called the iron-lady for no reason. I don’t want to say anything out of line so I am going to warn you instead, my mom sent out an order for our people to find you and bring you back.”

“Don’t tell me you send them after me, I haven’t done anything to you guys and still, after I left the house, you guys are still doing this to me.”

“Think whatever it is you want, but if you want to keep running away from us then do it. Run and run far, go somewhere where no one will be able to find you.” Gui rolls her eyes as she turns her back only to have Reen turn to look at Ying Jie, her back. “Oh, one more thing.” Reen walks over and turns Ying Jie around so that she can talk face to face to her. She hates people who doesn’t meet eye-to-eye to her. “I want you to stay away from the boys, just hang around that Mei Mei girl for the rest of the trip, I have my eyes on one of them and I do not want to go to world war three for them, do you understand me?”

Spoken like an aristocrat. Gui turns around and walked away from Reen. She knew that there was no use in talking to Reen, so she remained quiet. Seeing how silent her stepsister became after their conversation, Reen smirked, they have known each other longer than either of them will admit and Ying Jie probably got the idea that she shouldn’t involve herself in the family’s matters. Even though she might not have verbally agreed to it, one way or another, she will sooner or later give in and draw her white flag to them. It was only a matter of time before it happens.

Right when Reen walk around the corner, there stood the infamous Sheng Yi who took out his earphones from his ears. He puts his hands in his pockets and flash that prince charming smile that Fujioka does all the fricken time.

“Well aren’t you sly Mr. Prime Minister’s son? Eavesdropping must be your forte.”

“I didn’t know Madam Wu had another daughter, I guess rich families can be quite deceiving.”

“Leave my family out of this. Before you brand me as evil, you shouldn’t jump into conclusions so quick; she was the one who nearly destroyed our happiness! So I did what I had to do so don’t look at me like I am a villain.”

“Look who’s the sly one now.”

“What is that supposed to mean?”

“In my opinion, you guys are the ones who are sly. You guys practically chase this girl out and you talk about destroying your happiness? Not only did you guys destroy this girl’s world but you also turned it upside down. I don’t know what your definition of ‘sly’ is, but in my book, I am not it.”

Sheng Yi walks past Reen and quickly ran after Gui. 

 

Just when she was about to open the door, he grabs her hand and brings her out with him.

“Where are you taking me!?”

“Be quiet.”

She found herself fighting to keep up with him. ‘What has gotten him so mad? Is he PMsing?’  Gui fell silent as she waits for Sheng Yi to stop. She turns around and looks at the view of the hotel zooming out of her eyesight. She glances at Sheng Yi and wonders, why was he acting like this? Then she switches and thinks about her, what is she going to do now? Was it the fear of her accepting the fact that she can go back home now? Or was it the fear that someone will soon discover who she really is?

She snaps out of her thoughts to look at the beach. It was breath-taking just by gazing at the clear ocean waters and the giant rocks that stood on each side, it was like they escaped through a portal and entered in another dimension. It was calming to find that such a place existed; somewhere so relaxing and beautiful, Gui can feel herself relaxing her emotions but when Sheng Yi yank her forward and let her go, she was back to being her irritated self. She turns and looks at him, furious that he treated her so roughly. ‘Do I look like a boy? How does he view me to treat me so rough?

“What the hell is wrong with you?!”

“Yell.”

“What?!”

“Throw out your frustrations.”

“Why would I do that, there is noth―”

“JUST YELL DAMNIT! LET IT ALL OUT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!”

He came over and stood beside her.

“AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! YOU BBBBBAAASSSASTAARRDDDD!” He bends down to catch his breath and he look over at her, signalling her that it was now her turn. “Now.”

Sheng Yi took a couple steps back, putting his headphones on and took a seat. Gui took a look at the ocean waves colliding with the rocks and sand. Even if she was boiling inside when she talked to Reen, her anger vanished when she stares at the ocean. Without all that yelling out, she turns around and sat beside him. She hugs her knees together and stares at the ocean. “Stop being so cool, I know you are not listening to music right now, it’s just you and me here.” He clicked his tongue as he took his headphones off. “Thank you, for bringing me here.”

Sheng Yi leans back and flexes his muscles. “You’re pretty observant.”

“It was obvious.”

He closes his eyes and concentrated on one thing, that is to free himself. In Taipei, if it isn’t soccer, it’s his father that keeps pushing his wishes on him. Even though his father promised him that he wouldn’t do so but nowadays, it became pretty hard for him to do things he wanted to do. But why does it feel like he is starting to go back on his words? He wants to believe in his father, believe in him that he can keep his promise until he graduates.

 

“Who are you?”

Gui found herself speechless at his sudden question.

 

“What’s your story?”

She looks over at him only to see Sheng Yi do the same.

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

Back at the Hotel

 

 

“What do you mean he is not in his room?” Fabien asked as everyone sat in the lobby. The schedule said to hop into the hot spring then at 7, gather at the lobby and wait till everyone is together. But when Fabien walks to the lobby to see everyone except Sheng Yi, it brings out the question, where did he go?

“Maybe he went back to Taipei.”

“Not a chance, he would give us a heads up.” William answered Jiro’s question.

Reen recall her encounter with Sheng Yi but she snaps out of it when her ears perk up when she heard Aaron’s voice.

“Is everyone here?” He looks around. “The brats who were rooming with Sheng Yi said that he finished before them but he disappeared when they went into their room.”

“Maybe he went for a walk, we can wait for him.” Then Wu Chun turns to see Ah Wei and Mei Mei making their way towards them. “Not only is Sheng Yi not here but Emma isn’t here either.”

‘Emma…? Who’s Emma? Wait... hold on… Emma… As in Wu Ying Jie?’

Reen stood up and suddenly noticed how these people don’t call her stepsister by her real name. Instead, they are calling her using her English name. Is this what she wants? For these people not to notice who she really is? Isn’t this the same as lying to them?

Aaron turns around and his jaw tightens.

“They couldn’t be together.” Ah Wei whispers only to have Fabien speak up. “But you know how Sheng Yi is, he is impulsive. Once he sees a girl he fancies, there is no telling what he would do.”

“But this is Emma!” Mei Mei yelled out. “She wouldn’t do that!”

“Well frankly speaking, this is Sheng Yi we are talking about.”

Mei Mei was about to knock him out when Ah Wei held her back. “I need to speak with you.” Wu Chun didn’t give Aaron any room to say no when he pulled him to the side. While Jiro punches Fabien’s arm, “stop talking like a jack*ss. Maybe then, you’ll have some friends.

Wu Chun notices his fists and immediately, he had a feeling that Aaron might have feelings for Emma but he didn’t want to jump into it so soon so he kept quiet about it.

“Aaron calm down, now.”

“If he does anything to her, I’m going to rip him to shreds.”

“No, you can’t. We promised each other that we are going to be friends for this trip. We have until tomorrow to keep it.”

“I can’t just sit and do nothing.”

“What if he really doesn’t do anything to her, you can’t act on impulse Aaron.”

Wu Chun re-encourages him to calm down as he scratches the back of his head.

“When did you start feeling like this?”

“I don’t know, it just happened.”

“Try to hide it.”

Aaron was about to protest but when he heard everyone scream out Emma and Sheng Yi’s name, he turns and looks over to the entrance to see Gui and Sheng Yi walk in.

“EMMMMMMAAAA! WHERE DID YOU GOOO?!” Mei Mei ran over, hugging Gui. Sheng Yi walk over to his buddies and high-fived each other. Seeing this, Aaron would’ve punched the living daylights out of him but Wu Chun held him back.  If he didn’t, he would’ve broke this stupid friendship-enemy truce thing everyone is trying hard to uphold.

“What’s the high-five for?”

“C’mon, no need to be shy.” Fabien grins widely while Sheng Yi looks at his friends strangely. Then Reen came forward. “You beast.”

“Whoa, who are you calling a beast?”

“You, who else?”

“How am I a beast?” Sheng Yi was confused and Mei Mei spoke up. “HOW CAN YOU FORCE YOURSELF ON EMMA?!”

Sheng Yi and Gui’s eyes widen. “WWWWHHHAAAATTTTT?@?!#?$?!” Everyone looks at the two and stares at Gui shaking her head. “Noo nothing happened between us!”

“Really?” Mei Mei asked only to see Gui nod. “Yeah, we just went out for a walk.”

“We didn’t do anything and Sheng Yi didn’t do anything! Nothing, we did NOTHING!” Gui shouted out. Mei Mei sigh a big relief while Sheng Yi crosses his arms, glaring at his friends who just smiles at him. “At times like this, I would ask for my high-five back but I won’t.” Fabien spoke up as he stuffs his hands into his pockets and looks around.

“Now that we sort this thing out, we should get going.”

“I agree, let’s head out.” As everyone follows Ah Wei, Reen walk past Sheng Yi briefly and whispers a quiet “sorry” to him as she walk with her friends, acting like nothing has happened. Sheng Yi scratches his head and sighs, following his teammates as Ah Wei leads the pact to the next spot in their schedule. Aaron walks over to Gui still concerned.

“Nothing happened right?”

“Nothing happened.”

“Good, if anything happens, tell me.” Gui paused for a moment to see him walk past her, helping Ah Wei carry the bags he brought for the trip.

 

Ba dump, Ba dump.

Ba dump, Ba dump.

Ba dump, Ba dump.

 

Aaron, why are you doing this to me?

 

 

.

.

 

Later that Evening

 

 

To everyone’s surprise, what Ah Wei planned for them was the lightening of their lanterns.

“Why… This is for little kids. We are adults now.” Sheng Yi casually lifted his lantern with his eyebrow arched. He was not amused with Ah Wei’s surprise activity. “It’s called memories and besides we haven’t done this for so long!” Ah Wei’s happy-go lucky attitude was a major turn off. Even if he was a girl, he wouldn’t go for him. “And you think by bringing it back, we are going to do it?” Sheng Yi drops his lantern to the ground and looks away.

“Don’t be shy, just write down what you are thinking about and let it go.” Sheng Yi stares at Ah Wei as he handed each lantern to everyone. He didn’t know how childish this activity was but when he looked around to see his friends all doing it, he bent down and rolls his eyes. ‘This is so damn childish.’

When the stars came out that night, the only light that will shine through the night sky would be their floating lanterns.

 

 

Mei Mei shows her lantern to Gui.

‘Even if he doesn’t like me, I hope we can stay as friends.’

 

Reen held up her lantern.

‘To love or be loved?’

 

Wu Chun smirks as he took a glimpse at what Calvin wrote on his.

‘Like this lantern, I want to fly and be free.’

 

Calvin caught Wu Chun in the act so he looks over to his.

‘Let’s fly up higher than the sky.’

“How is that any different than mine?” Calvin asked as Jiro shrugs.

 

Fabien took a sneak at Jiro’s lantern.

‘We lit our lanterns when we were younger. Although I can’t remember what I wished last time, but on this one, I am looking forward to this lantern reaching higher than the stars.’

 

Fabien looks at his.

‘This was a better trip than I imagined, I look forward to the next one.’

 

William looks over Ah Wei’s shoulder to read his lantern.

‘Thank you for bringing us together again.’

 

Catching William sneaking a peek, Ah Wei did the same.

‘I still want to become a soccer player! I’m still not giving up!’

 

“What did you write on yours?”

“How about you, what did you put down?”

As the small flame inside Aaron’s lantern lights up, the words on his lantern brightened up. He reads out the words he wrote on his lantern, ‘Grandpa’s wish came true. I wonder when my wish will come true...’

When it was time, Gui got up and slowly, she let hers go watching the balloon drift into the sky. With the words ‘I’m afraid of getting hurt, will you give me strength to find my happiness?fly up into the sky. As her lantern flew further and further away from her, she suddenly remembered Aaron’s confession, “I wonder if we can ever be more than just friends….” His voice resonates from her memory as she looks over to Aaron for moment before looking over to Mei Mei who told her to look at everyone’s lanterns.

Aaron glances over to Gui and wonders if she feels the same way as he does. He looks back at his lantern and he quietly counted down from three. Once it hit one, he loosened his grip on the lantern and watched it go.

As the lanterns drifted away from them, it carried their wishes, goals, thoughts, feelings and dreams with it. Hoping that someday, somewhere and one day, they will remember this moment for the rest of their lives and their deepest wishes, goals, thoughts, feelings and dreams will come true.

Fabien walks over to Sheng Yi but his lantern was already up in the sky. “What did you put down?” Sheng Yi ignores him as he walks over to the wooden bench and stares at everyone fascinate over their lanterns.He looks up at the all the lanterns in the sky and looks for his. But with all the lanterns floating closely together, he had no idea which one was his. But on his lantern, he wrote: 

‘If I start, will you accept my feelings?’